• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆☆☆ FIFA World Cup 2014 ☆☆☆

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Zidane tips France for strong World Cup campaign

375689_heroa.jpg

By Chris Myson
May 18, 2014 11:48:00 AM

The former midfielder believes Karim Benzema and Franck Ribery can combine to fire his country to a good tournament and thinks there could be a European winner

France legend Zinedine Zidane believes Les Bleus are well placed to produce a strong World Cup campaign in Brazil this summer.

Didier Deschamps’ side almost failed to qualify for next month’s competition but eventually prevailed in a dramatic two-legged play-off tie against Ukraine.

Zidane feels the likes of Karim Benzema and Franck Ribery will come to the fore at the event and is confident his former side are one of the teams capable of mounting a serious challenge for glory.

“France should do well,” the current Real Madrid assistant coach told The Times of India.

“Last time in South Africa they disappointed everyone but this time under Didier Deschamps they are playing well.

“In the qualifiers they were second to Spain and did well in the play-off. Karim Benzema and Franck Ribery are in great form.

“I know Ribery's Bayern were ousted by Benzema's Real Madrid in the Champions League, but I am eager to see their combination play at the World Cup. It should be a great sight.”

France will be confident of progressing past the group stage after being drawn in a manageable looking pool against Switzerland, Ecuador and Honduras.

Zidane, though, has warned his fellow countrymen not to become complacent in their early matches or they could find themselves on an early plane home.

He continued: “You are there because you are among the best 32 teams in the world.

“In Group E, there is one nation from Europe who are aware of our football style and the other two will be playing in their own continent. It is not at all an easy group.”

Many experts are backing Brazil and Argentina as favourites to win the tournament because it is being hosted in their home continent of South America, where no European side has previously won the trophy.

But Zidane has dismissed that view and believes France, along with the likes of Germany, Spain and Europe’s other top nations, are more than capable of triumphing this summer.

“I cannot say for sure, but I feel that a European nation can win the coveted cup in Latin America,” said the 41-year-old.

“Germany, Spain, Italy, Netherlands, Portugal and France can go all the way, with the Germans being the best prepared side.

“Brazil can expect an extravagant football bonanza from the European nations.”

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Figo: Spain won’t win World Cup

388386_heroa.jpg

By Myfanwy Garman
May 20, 2014 6:00:00 PM

The retired midfielder believes the current world champions don’t have the same level of quality as four years ago and has tipped Brazil for Fifa’s coveted competition

Former Portugal international Luis Figo says Spain will not win the World Cup.

Figo, who made over 125 appearances and scored more than 30 goals for his country, says Vicente del Bosque’s outfit do not have enough quality to retain their title.

Spain have won three consecutive major tournaments between 2008 and 2012, however they were convincingly brushed aside by Brazil when the two teams met in the Confederations Cup final last year.

"I do not think Spain will win the World Cup,” Figo told Laureus.com. “I don’t think they have the quality to do so. It will be difficult for them to win, but not impossible.”

Instead, Figo believes Brazil could win the tournament as they have a “great coach” and the advantage of home support.

"I think it helps to be playing at home. I know the Brazil coach [Luis Felipe Scolari] well and I think he's a great coach for this type of tournament and the country will help to support the team,” Figo added.

“It will be very, very difficult for other teams against Brazil [because of the support].”

The retired midfielder added his belief that Portugal will also struggle to reach the latter stages of the competition because of their reliance on Cristiano Ronaldo.

"It's very difficult because it's a long way to the final and our country only has 11 million people which makes it difficult to choose 18 to 20 players for the World Cup, plus [how far Portugal go in the competition] depends heavily on Cristiano Ronaldo."

The 41-year-old, who made over 160 appearances for Real Madrid, then backed his former club to win the Champions League on Saturday when they take on city rivals Atletico in Lisbon.

"I think Real Madrid will win because the last time they won, I was there [as a player] in 2002. So it's pretty special. I hope Real win, but you know that in a football final anything can happen."

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

'I'm just a kid trying to play football' - Neymar plays down Pele comparisons

401627_heroa.jpg

By Enis Koylu
May 20, 2014 11:44:00 AM

The Barcelona star says he is ready to cope with the pressure on his shoulders at the World Cup this summer and has distanced himself from "the king of football"

Barcelona and Brazil star Neymar has insisted that he is not worthy of comparisons with legendary compatriot Pele.

Both players came through the ranks at Santos as wonderkids and Pele went on to help deliver three World Cup titles during his illustrious careers.

Neymar will try to emulate the 73-year-old this summer when Brazil plays host to the tournament but does not want to be compared to his country's all-time record scorer.

"For me it is a pleasure to be compared to a great player like Pele," he told the Wall Street Journal.

"But he is the king of football. I am just a boy who wants to play football."

Neymar insists he is ready to cope with the pressure this summer as Brazil look to win the World Cup for the first time since 2002.

"We suffer pressure in all the things we do," he continued. "It's normal in the life of an athlete, but if you're an athlete the pressure is bigger because you're an example for many people.

"I suffer presure since I decided to become a player, but it's a pleasure to play a World Cup in my country to my people.

"Football is in the soul of the Brazilian people."

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Italy's Rossi must prove he's ready for action - Prandelli

By Terry Daley
ROME Tue May 20, 2014 3:13pm BST

r

Italy's national soccer team player Giuseppe Rossi prepares to attend a training session at Coverciano training centre near Florence May 20, 2014. REUTERS/Giampiero Sposito

(Reuters) - Italy striker Giuseppe Rossi has 10 days to prove he is fit and ready for action in the World Cup in Brazil, national manager Cesare Prandelli said on Tuesday.

The Fiorentina player has had a series of problems with his right knee since his time with Villarreal in 2011 and missed much of the second half of this season with injury.

However, after selecting him in his provisional 30-man squad Prandelli said he will give Rossi every chance to recover before finalising his squad for the World Cup which starts next month.

"I decided to bring Giuseppe Rossi for a number of reasons," Prandelli told reporters on Tuesday.

"We have a great player with an extraordinary talent in front of us. One of the most important players in Italy."

"It's obvious that there needs to be a response on the pitch, and I hope that over the next 10 days we get that, but even if it isn't like that he has already won with what he's done," Prandelli added.

"I don't want to make him nervous. He's one of the 30 and we need to see if he's in the condition to play, that his condition is better than a few days ago."

Rossi was Serie A's leading scorer with 14 goals when he was ruled out for five months in early January. Since his return to league action in early May he scored two in three appearances.

"His determination, his desire to make all the sacrifices to be here is a demonstration that even the great players have to put in effort," said Prandelli.

"This is a good lesson for the whole group."

Rossi's call up is seen as a risk given the wealth of in-form and fit Italian strikers Prandelli has at his disposal.

Many in Italy believe that rejuvenated Parma playmaker Antonio Cassano will miss out should Prandelli pick Rossi.

The 31-year-old has been in his best form for years and has played a key part in Parma qualifying for next season's Europa League. He has also cut out the outbursts that marked much of his career and had him tagged the bad boy of Italian football.

"It's only been two hours of training, and it's like the first day of school with everyone wanting to impress me, but Cassano looks happy to me," added the coach.

"I think he realises that this is his last chance to do something really big in his career."

Prandelli also said that he wants his side to be as tactically flexible as they were in last year's Confederations Cup, where they lost to world champions Spain in a semi-final penalty shoot-out.

Italy face differing challenges in a tough group, beginning with a clash against England in Manaus before playing Costa Rica and then Uruguay.

"The idea is for players to have more than one way of interpreting a system," Prandelli said. "We won't have a rigid system, it will change.

"I want to prepare the team to changes during the match, just like we did in the Confederations Cup.

"The players need to be a resource for us. They have to all be aware that you only need a few minutes to make your mark. If we start with that mentality then we'll be on the right track."

(Reporting by Terry Daley; editing by Martyn Herman)

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Buffon: You'll have to sweat to beat Italy

408098_heroa.jpg

By Nicholas McGee
May 20, 2014 12:12:00 PM

The Azzurri skipper is adamant that his side's opponents can expect a tough match at this summer's World Cup and is keen to stay at Juventus

Gianluigi Buffon has told Italy's World Cup rivals not to expect an easy game when they face his side this summer.

Cesare Prandelli's side have been drawn into a daunting group also involving England, Uruguay and Costa Rica but the veteran goalkeeper says his team-mates will be hard to crack.

"A solid, well organised team that will never lose games on its own," Buffon replied when asked by Gazzetta dello Sport what to expect from Italy.

"It will be tough to beat us, without exception. Against us you sweat, because this group does not give anything to anyone on the field.

"We have the technical and moral qualities to aim high at the World Cup."

Buffon helped Juventus clinch a third consecutive Serie A title this season and is pleased with the form he has displayed since undergoing back surgery in 2010.

"For three years I have been giving very important answers to myself and to those who doubted, appropriately, a full recovery," Buffon added.

"At 36 I'm still here, at a high level, and it is a great feeling."

The former Parma man's contract at Juve expires in 2015 and he has no desire to leave the Italian champions.

"I'm fine in Turin," he explained. "And the relationship with chairman Andrea Agnelli is nice and fair.

"He has already shown the willingness to support my every decision. So everything will be very clear."

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Quaresma left out of final Portugal squad

407921_heroa.jpg

By Enis Koylu
May 20, 2014 7:27:00 AM

The Porto winger had been part of Paulo Bento's 30-man squad for the World Cup but is one of seven players cut from the final panel

Portugal boss Paulo Bento has named his final squad for his side's World Cup campiagn and has left winger Ricardo Quaresma out of the 23.

The Porto star had impressed following his return to the Dragao this season and had made the former Sporting coach's original 30-man selection.

However, he will not be on the plane to Brazil, along with Antunes, Rolando, Andre Gomes, Joao Mario and Ivan Cavaleiro.

Portugal face Germany in their opening game on June 15 and will warm up for the tournament with fixtures against Mexico in Massachusetts and Ireland in New Jersey.

Goalkeepers: Beto (Sevilla), Eduardo (Braga), Rui Patricio (Sporting Lisbon)

Defenders: Andre Almeida (Benfica), Bruno Alves (Fenerbahce), Fabio Coentrao (Real Madrid), Neto (Zenit St Petersburg), Pepe (Real Madrid), Ricardo Costa (Valencia)

Midfielders: Joao Moutinho (Monaco), Miguel Veloso (Dynamo Kiev), Raul Meireles (Fenerbahce), Ruben Amorim (Benfica), William Carvalho (Sporting Lisbon)

Attackers: Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid), Eder (Braga), Helder Postiga (Lazio), Hugo Almeida (Besiktas), Nani (Manchester United), Rafa (Braga), Varela (Porto), Vieirinha (Wolfsburg).

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bento: We will assess Ronaldo after final

408056_heroa.jpg

Nicholas McGee
May 20, 2014 3:16:00 PM

The Portugal head coach has confirmed that he will review the 29-year-old’s fitness after Saturday's game in Lisbon

Portugal coach Paulo Bento has confirmed his staff are in contact with Real Madrid's medical department and will evaluate Cristiano Ronaldo’s fitness following Saturday’s Champions League final.

Ronaldo has been blighted by injuries in recent weeks and has not featured for Madrid since sustaining a muscle problem in a 1-1 draw with Real Valladolid earlier this month.

However, the forward is expected to feature in the Champions League final against city rivals Atletico Madrid on Saturday.

"We have some information about Cristiano Ronaldo due to the contact between the medical department of the Portuguese national team and Real Madrid," Bento told reporters.

"Now, after Saturday's Champions League final, we can see how he will end the season and evaluate his full fitness when he is with us.

"Once he arrives, we will try to make a plan for everything so that we can start the World Cup in the best possible shape.

"It is very difficult to compare Cristiano Ronaldo with anyone. What I can guarantee is that any team, and our selection is no exception to the rule, will always be stronger counting on a player like him, for the reasons that everyone knows.

"What we expect is, when he is under our care, we will work with him as best we can and of course, talk to him, talk to the medical department and then we can get the best decision of how much he can play, both for him and the Portugal team."

Portugal, whose provisional squad was cut to 23 players on Monday, will play friendlies against Greece, Mexico and the Republic of Ireland before starting their World Cup campaign against Germany on June 16.

Bento's men, who have been drawn in in Group G, will then face United States and Ghana as they bid to reach the knockout stages.

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Robben rests as Van Gaal takes Dutch squad to Portugal

Tue May 20, 2014 12:32pm BST

r

Bayern Munich's Arjen Robben smiles at the team's after-match party in Berlin, early May 18, 2014. REUTERS/Stuart Franklin/Pool

(Reuters) - Arjen Robben has been given a few days rest by coach Louis van Gaal after winning the German Cup with Bayern Munich and did not travel on Tuesday with the Netherlands squad to their World Cup training camp in Portugal.

He will join up with the other players on Thursday, the Dutch Football Association said.

Robben scored the opening goal in extra time as Bayern beat Borussia Dortmund on Saturday to complete the league and Cup double in Germany.

A group of 25 Dutch players headed to the Algarve where they will start work under coach Louis van Gaal.

The group included four new arrivals, Nigel de Jong, Jeremain Lens, Wesley Sneijder and Rafael van der Vaart who joined up after finishing their club campaigns at the weekend.

The Netherlands drew 1-1 with Ecuador in their first World Cup warm-up friendly in Amsterdam on Saturday.

The team train in Lagos for a week before returning home to play Ghana in Rotterdam on May 31 and Wales in Amsterdam on June 4 before departing for Brazil.

(Reporting by Mark Gleeson; Editing by Ed Osmond; [email protected]; +27 82 8257807; Reuters Messaging: [email protected])

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Double boost for Low as Bayern duo get World Cup green light

397538_heroa.jpg

By Joe Wright
May 19, 2014 4:42:00 PM

Bayern Munich released an injury bulletin on Monday which included positives updates on full-back Philipp Lahm and goalkeeper Manuel Neuer

Germany coach Joachim Low will head into Wednesday's pre-World Cup training camp in a positive frame of mind after two of his most important players received encouraging news on the injury front.

Bayern Munich duo Philipp Lahm and Manuel Neuer sustained injuries in Saturday's DFB-Pokal final victory over Borussia Dortmund, sparking concerns they may struggle to make the summer showpiece in Brazil.

Neuer was pictured on Monday with his arm in a sling after damaging a shoulder while Lahm suffered with an ankle problem, but, having visited Bayern doctor Dr Hans-Wilhelm Müller-Wohlfahrt, the fears over both men were allayed.

A Bayern statement read: "The FCB club doctor can give the all clear: the forthcoming World Cup in Brazil is not in danger for Lahm or Neuer.

"Lahm is suffering from a bruised left ankle but ligaments and bones have not been damaged. The player must not train for five to seven days.

"Neuer suffered a small tear to the ligaments in his right shoulder. To relieve the joint he must wear a sling for the time being and must curtail his training.

"Both Lahm and Neuer will travel to the 11-day training camp in South Tyrol, Austria, with the German national team on Wednesday. There they will be treated several times a day by a physician."

The news will come as a big relief to Low who has been plagued by injury concerns in the build-up to the World Cup.

Dortmund’s Ilkay Gundogan has missed almost the entire season and will not travel to the finals, while Sami Khedira and Bastian Schweinsteiger have struggled with long-term problems throughout the campaign.

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Xavi back sprain worry for Spain

407788_heroa.jpg

By Mark Doyle
May 20, 2014 12:49:00 AM

The veteran playmaker picked up the injury in his club's Liga clash with Atletico Madrid on Saturday but it is not expected to jeopardise his participation in the World Cup

Barcelona have confirmed that midfielder Xavi will be out of action for a week with a back sprain.

The Spain international suffered the injury in his club's 1-1 draw with Atletico Madrid at Camp Nou on but should not jeopardise his participation in his country's World Cup opener against Netherlands on June 13.

"Xavi noticed a pain in his back after Saturday's game and tests this morning [Monday] revealed a lumbar sprain, which will rule him out for about a week," a Barcelona statement read.

"The club's medical services have informed the RFEF (Spanish Football Federation) doctors of the situation in order to coordinate the recovery once the Spanish national team get together for the World Cup preparations."

Xavi has been capped 130 times by Spain, who will also have Chile and Australia for company in World Cup Group B.

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I need to change 'chip' and think of Argentina, says Messi

BUENOS AIRES Tue May 20, 2014 4:25pm BST

r

Barcelona's Lionel Messi celebrates a goal against Real Betis during their La Liga soccer match at Camp Nou stadium in Barcelona April 5, 2014. REUTERS/Albert Gea

(Reuters) - Lionel Messi wants to change the Barcelona "chip" in his head to an Argentina one to do well at the World Cup, the national captain said on Tuesday.

Messi told reporters on arrival in Buenos Aires that he would try to put a disappointing season in Spain behind him with Barcelona failing to win a major trophy for the first time in six years.

"Now I must think of the national team and change my chip," Messi, who signed a new contract with Barcelona on Monday, said.

"Many times it was the reverse, I'd go to Barcelona and play well, let's hope it's the other way round. When I join my friends at the (Argentine FA training) complex it'll be another story."

Before Messi won over Argentina fans with his performances in the World Cup qualifiers, he was criticised in his home country for not replicating his Barcelona form in the light blue and white striped national shirt.

Messi headed from Ezeiza international airport on the outskirts of the capital to his home town of Rosario for a break before beginning training next week under coach Alejandro Sabella for the tournament in Brazil starting on June 12.

"This wasn't my best season, I'd have liked to finish it differently but it was the whole (Barcelona) group, not only at an individual level, rather a slump of the whole team," said Messi, surrounded by reporters with microphones and cameras and autograph-hunting fans in the arrivals sector at Ezeiza.

Coach Gerardo Martino, also from Rosario, resigned after Barcelona lost their last chance to win La Liga when they were held 1-1 by a title-clinching Atletico Madrid at the Nou Camp on Saturday.

"I hope that when I get together with my (Argentina) team mates my head will change because it was a complicated season. We had the chance to win the (Liga) tournament and we couldn't. I went through a lot of things at a personal level, it wasn't easy with the injuries."

Messi, who suffered hamstring problems, suffered a drop in form from the high standards he set in previous seasons, but he hopes to be back to his clinical best to lead Argentina to a third world title in Brazil.

"Let's hope we can reach our objective," added Messi whose team play in Group F against Bosnia in Rio de Janeiro on June 15, Iran in Belo Horizonte on June 21 and Nigeria in Porto Alegre on June 25.

(Reporting by Luis Ampuero; Writing by Rex Gowar; Editing by Michael Hann)

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Cameroon cancel World Cup send-off match

YAOUNDE, Tue May 20, 2014 2:37pm BST

(Reuters) - Cameroon have cancelled a World Cup warm-up international against Guatemala next month, the country’s football federation said on Tuesday without giving any reasons.

Cameroon were due to play a send-off game in front of their owns fans in Yaounde against the central American side on June 7 before departing for the tournament in Brazil.

The squad began a training camp in Austria on Tuesday and play warm-up matches against Macedonia and Paraguay in Kufstein on May 26 and 29. They also have a match against Germany in Moenchengladbach on June 1.

Cameroon are in World Cup Group A with Brazil, Mexico and Croatia.

(Reporting by Tansa Musa; Writing by Mark Gleeson; Editing by Ed Osmond)

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Corinthians arrange test game at Arena ahead of World Cup

By Andrew Downie
SAO PAULO Tue May 20, 2014 1:34pm BST

r

Corinthians soccer fans cheer their team at the Arena de Sao Paulo Stadium, one of the venues for the 2014 World Cup, during a soccer test match in the Sao Paulo district of Itaquera May 18, 2014. REUTERS/Paulo Whitaker

(Reuters) - Corinthians have hastily arranged to a second league game at their stadium later this month after FIFA said it wanted to test the venue with a bigger crowd ahead of the World Cup’s opening match there in June.

Corinthians are to play Cruzeiro at the Arena Corinthians on May 29, just two weeks before the stadium hosts the opening game in Group A between Brazil and Croatia, the club said.

The game "will count on the operation and services of some aspects of a FIFA World Cup match," a statement on the Corinthians website (www.corinthians.com/br) said.

Corinthians lost 1-0 at home to Figueirense at the Arena Corinthians on Sunday in front of 36,000 paying fans in the first official game to be held at the ground.

FIFA, however, expressed concern that the stadium was still incomplete and wants to see another game.

"Arena de Sao Paulo still needs 100 per cent from everybody to guarantee necessary structures are in place for opener,” FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke said on Twitter.

"A test event does not compare to the scale, needs and global attention of the opening match of the World Cup. "The opening World Cup match attracts 65,000+ watching live in the stadium and a billion on TV. 24 Days to Go."

Seats and other temporary structures for sponsors, broadcasters and fans have yet to be installed at the Arena Corinthians and the Cuiaba and Curitiba stadiums.

(Editing by Julien Pretot)

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Messi is purely technical while Ronaldo is physical as well, says Cruyff

402711_heroa.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
May 19, 2014 12:55:00 PM

The iconic Dutchman has nothing but praise for both La Liga stars and sees Brazil and Spain as the teams to beat at the World Cup

Barcelona legend Johan Cruyff believes Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo are arguably the two best players in the world at the moment, but feels the Argentine mainly relies on his technique whereas the Real Madrid forward is physically strong, too.

Ronaldo beat his La Liga rival to the 2013 Fifa Ballon d'or after Messi had won the inaugural three editions of the prestigious individual award and Cruyff has stressed that he thoroughly enjoys watching both players when they're at their best.

"Messi and Ronaldo are the two most beautiful players now and with distinctive styles. One is purely technical while the other is physical as well," Cruyff told Times of India.

"And I like to watch both of them since this tells you clearly how different the game can be.

"Football is such a wonderful game because of its variations and its acceptance of every style. I like watching both at their best."

Cruyff then went on to discuss this summer's World Cup and stressed that several teams have a chance at winning the tournament, although he doesn't expect England to make much of an impact.

"There are quite a few teams that can win the World Cup. Brazil are one of the contenders. They are the hosts and they had shown in the Confederations Cup what they can do. Yes, the pressure of expectations will be there.

"Spain has not lost their aura, although those champions are four years older now. Germany and Italy are always considered big threats since they do play well in the World Cup. Argentina with Lionel Messi and Portugal with Cristiano Ronaldo are among the favourites, too. However, I don't think England will be able to surprise."

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Vandals destroy replica World Cup near Brazil base

RIO DEIRO Wed May 21, 2014 12:00am BST

(Reuters) - Vandals have attacked and burnt a six-metre high replica of the World Cup a few miles from where Brazil's squad will be based for next month's finals, officials in the town of Teresopolis said on Tuesday.

The vandals destroyed the replica trophy, which was on display in one of the town’s main thoroughfares, in the early hours of Tuesday.

“Every effort will be taken to find the instigator or instigators of this act of vandalism so this attack does not go unpunished,” the town’s mayor said in a statement.

The attack on the replica trophy was not the first on World Cup-related symbols in Brazil. Vandals have also attacked inflatable football balls and the cup's mascot Fuleco.

Last year, more than a million people took to the streets of dozens of Brazilian cities to protest against public spending on the tournament and a lack of investment in public services.

Brazil’s 23-man squad will meet in Teresopolis later this month and will be based at the squad’s long-time base in Granja Comary, on the edge of the town.

(Reporting by Pedro Fonseca; Writing by Andrew Downie)

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Germany to tune World Cup challenge at Alpine retreat

By Karolos Grohmann
Wed May 21, 2014 11:44am BST

r

German national soccer team head coach Joachim Loew (top) watches his players warm up during a training session in Hamburg, May 12, 2014. REUTERS/Fabian Bimmer

(Reuters) - Germany launched their World Cup preparations on Wednesday with the start of a 10-day training camp in the Italian Alps aimed at fine-tuning a team bidding for a first international title in 18 years.

Germany coach Joachim Loew, in charge for his fourth tournament and second World Cup since taking over in 2006, has invited 27 players in his provisional squad which will be cut back to 23 by June 2.

Their cool and tranquil South Tyrolean mountain retreat deep in the Alps is a far cry from the hot and humid tropical conditions they will have to weather in Brazil as the three-times winners seek to end their title drought.

But the focus is firmly on becoming the first non-South American team to win a World Cup on that continent.

"The greed for the World Cup trophy is there," captain Philipp Lahm said ahead of their departure for northern Italy, site of their pre-World Cup preparations in 1990 when they last won the trophy.

"We have the punch to win the title but we have to be careful that the talent and ego of each of us serves the team. We need heart and passion in Brazil," he told Bild newspaper.

Lahm will skip training at the secluded football pitch surrounded by a high cloth-covered fences at the five-star hotel for at least five days as he recovers from an ankle injury picked up in the German Cup final on Saturday.

BRAZILIAN SUN

"I do not want to be eliminated in the semis or travel to Brazil for the sun," said the 30-year-old, preparing for his third World Cup. "I have a clear goal and that is obviously the biggest possible success which is the World Cup trophy."

Loew will also be without first choice keeper Manuel Neuer at the start with the Bayern Munich player wearing a sling following a shoulder injury in the same game.

The coach's biggest concern, however, is his defence with the once solid German backline struggling to find stability in the past months.

Loew has yet to settle on a central defensive partnership with Per Mertesacker, Jerome Boateng and Mats Hummels the strongest candidates for the two positions.

Lahm's own contribution is still unclear with the right back wanting to move permanently to a midfield position, where he played in their friendly 1-0 over Chile in March.

But his coach is struggling for fullback options, with Marcel Schmelzer and Benedikt Hoewedes only recently back from long injury absences and Marcell Jansen, who played left back in four of their last five internationals, not in the 27-man squad.

"We have to work specifically on our defence," Lahm said. "We have been conceding too many goals lately, allowed opponents too many clear chances. We have to make sure the defence is positioned well. That is a challenge for the entire team."

The Germans, who have been drawn in Group G along with Ghana, United States and Portugal, will be using German youth team players who will emulate the playing style of their group rivals in training.

They will round off preparations with friendlies in Germany against Cameroon on June 1 and Armenia on June 6 before leaving for Brazil.

(Reporting by Karolos Grohmann. Editing by Patrick Johnston)

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ghana's Accam hopes to complete journey from non-league to World Cup

By Philip O'Connor
Wed May 21, 2014 3:13am BST

r

FC Twente goalkeeper Nikolay Mikhaylov (L) tries to block a shot by Helsingborg's David Accam during their Europa League Group L soccer match at Olympic Arena in Helsingborg October 4, 2012. REUTERS/Bjorn Lindgren/Scanpix Sweden

(Reuters) - As his country Ghana marched to the 2010 World Cup quarter-finals in South Africa, striker David Accam was playing non-league football in England where even his electrifying pace was curtailed on the muddy pitches.

Four years later, after a move to Sweden and a superb run of form for Helsingborgs IF, the 23-year-old is on the verge of representing Ghana at the World Cup in Brazil, where they face the United States, Germany and Portugal in Group G.

Discovered on the gravel pitches of Ghana's capital Accra by the Right to Dream Academy, which provides sports, education and leadership training for underprivileged young talent in Africa, Accam has made the country's provisional 26-man World Cup squad.

The 23-year-old's speed has seen him linked to some of the world's top clubs, like Manchester United and Borussia Dortmund, and the World Cup could provide his ticket to the big time.

"I'm playing really well," Accam told Reuters in Stockholm before he joined up with the squad. "I think it's one of my best seasons so far and I just need to continue into the World Cup."

Accam is as softly-spoken and friendly off the pitch as he is dangerous on it but his humility is not to be confused with a lack of self-confidence. He believes he has earned his chance, although it is still a tall order to make the final squad.

"Yeah it's difficult. I know my talent, I know I have the ability but I didn't have the chance because of work permit problems in England," he said.

"I had to come to Sweden to work my way up, but if you're good enough and you work hard you'll get a chance, and that's what happened."

HIGHEST FEE

Having averaged better than a goal every two games during his time at non-league sides Ledbury Town and Evesham United, Accam left England in 2012 and came to Sweden, where he joined third-tier side Ostersund.

It was there that his career took off and nine goals in 14 games meant he only stayed for a matter of months with the club before moving to Helsingborgs in the Swedish top flight.

The 500,000 euros (406,610 pounds) transfer fee was the highest ever paid for a player from the Swedish third tier.

He was due to be loaned back to Ostersund for the rest of the season but was recalled by Helsingborgs for a Champions League qualifying match against Celtic and stayed.

Accam's combination of searing pace and clinical finishing saw him called up for Ghana's World Cup qualifier against Sudan in March 2013 and even though he did not get to make his debut on that occasion he was in no way disappointed.

"It was amazing, playing with some of the best players in your country - (Sulley) Muntari, (Asamoah) Gyan, (Andre) Ayew, (Kevin-Prince) Boateng. I learnt a lot in that one week I was on the bench," he said.

DIFFICULT GROUP

With Group G favourites Portugal and Germany bristling with world-class talent, Ghana and the U.S. will have their work cut out to reach the last 16. But Accam has been doing his homework in case he gets the chance to face either team.

"Most of them (Germans and Portuguese) play in the Champions League, so we've been watching that every Tuesday and Wednesday. It would be nice to play against them.

"It's a difficult group but Ghana have a lot of good players, and on a good day we should be able to qualify from the group," he says.

Accam is still getting used to his new-found status as a hot property in football. He is friendly but cautious as he answers questions, careful not to say anything that could be taken out of context but still full of self-belief.

One of several players often referred to by local media as "the African Messi," not surprisingly he singles out Portugal's captain when asked who to look out for in Ghana's section.

"Obviously Ronaldo. He is one of the best players in the world but Germany have a lot of good players also, such as (Philipp) Lahm, so it would be nice to play against them," he says.

Accam's years of struggle in non-league football have taught him to be patient and if he makes Ghana's final squad he won't focus on using the World Cup to put himself in the shop window.

"For me it's not about thinking about clubs. It's about doing really well for my country and lifting the name of Ghana higher," he said. "That's the main thing for me, and if I do that the other things will follow."

(Reporting By Philip O'Connor; editing by Ken Ferris)

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Jedinak named Australia captain for World Cup

SYDNEY Wed May 21, 2014 12:52pm BST

r

Crystal Palace's Mile Jedinak (R) evades a tackle from Fulham's Steve Sidwell during their English Premier League soccer match at Selhurst Park in London October 21, 2013. REUTERS/Eddie Keogh

(Reuters) - Midfielder Mile Jedinak was named Socceroos captain for the World Cup finals on Wednesday, confirming his succession to long-term skipper and leader of Australia's 'golden generation' Lucas Neill.

Jedinak was handed the armband for Australia's last friendly against Ecuador and will now retain it for the Brazil campaign, where the Socceroos have been grouped with world champions Spain, the Netherlands and Chile for the opening round.

"It is a privileged position and an accolade he richly deserves after the incredible job he has done at Crystal Palace in the toughest club competition in world football the English Premier League," coach Ange Postecoglou said in a statement.

"I have no doubt he will lead the team with distinction in Brazil and we will have two of our greatest-ever football players in Tim Cahill and Mark Bresciano giving the team what I believe is strong leadership.

"Mile will be our captain but all three players will share the onus of leading this group to the World Cup."

Jedinak, 29, played every minute of Palace's recently concluded Premier League season until he was forced off the pitch with a groin strain in the second half of their final game.

Palace staged a remarkable comeback in the second half of the season to move out of relegation trouble before finishing 11th in the English top flight.

Australia will need something even more spectacular if they are to progress from a World Cup group that includes the two finalists from four years ago along with the third-placed team in South American qualifying.

Jedinak, who won his 43rd cap in the 4-3 defeat to Ecuador, will be expected to anchor the Australia midfield and help protect what will be a relatively inexperienced defence.

Neill, Australia's central defensive stalwart for more than a decade and captain for the 2006 and 2010 World Cup campaigns, was left out of Postecoglou's squad after failing to get enough first team play this year.

(Reporting by Nick Mulvenney, editing by Greg Stutchbury)

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Lahm: Germany can't carry egos

340666_heroa.jpg

By Enis Koylu
May 21, 2014 2:45:00 PM

The captain of the national side says success will depend on each player sacrificing personal interests in favour of the greater good of the collective

Philipp Lahm says Germany cannot afford to carry egos if they are to win the World Cup in Brazil this summer.

Joachim Low's side have endured a decade of near misses in major tournaments, having finished third in the World Cup in 2006 and 2010, suffered defeat in the final of Euro 2008 and reached the last four of Euro 2012.

"We have the punch for the title," he told Bild.

"We only need to consider one thing: that the talent and ego of every individual must serve the team.

"I don't want to finish in the semi-finals or go to Brazil to soak up the sun. I have a clear goal: that is the greatest possible success - the World Cup trophy.

"We have to work especially on our defence and have conceded too many goals and allowed too many good chances.

"We must pay more attention to how the defence dropped. The whole team needs to."

Coach Joachim Low was handed a contract extension until 2016 earlier this season and Lahm is delighted that his working relationship with the 54-year-old will continue.

"The fact is that he has a contract and we work together very well as a team. He always prepares us very well tactically."

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Enyeama: Nigeria will reach World Cup semi-finals

285233_heroa.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
May 21, 2014 10:37:00 AM

The Lille shot-stopper is optimistic about the African champions' chances at this summer's tournament in Brazil

Nigeria goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama is brimming with confidence ahead of this summer's World Cup and believes Stephen Keshi's men have what it takes to reach the semi-finals.

The reigning African champions have never made it past the round of 16 on the four previous occasions that they qualified for the final, but the Lille goalkeeper has little doubt they can cause a surprise this time around.

"I think we are going to make big progress," Enyeama told the official Fifa website.

"We are focused on the World Cup, to make Africa the proudest continent.

"Ghana almost reached the semi-finals four years ago. We are going to achieve a better result and be the first African team to get to the semi-finals of the World Cup."

Nigeria will possibly meet France in the first round of the knockout stages, but the Lille goalkeeper is not thinking about taking on the country where he's been plying his trade since 2011.

"If we play against France, it will be interesting, but if we play against Switzerland, it will also be interesting. The important thing is to qualify.

"Playing France for a place in the last eight is not really what matters to me right now, I just want the team to make it to the second round.

"But maybe we will come out first, and then we will not have to play against France."

Nigeria meet Argentina, Bosnia & Herzegovina and Iran in the group stages.