• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆☆☆ FIFA World Cup 2014 ☆☆☆

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

No Van der Wiel in Netherlands' 30-man World Cup squad

334647_heroa.jpg

By Joe Wright
May 13, 2014 8:43:00 PM

The Paris Saint-Germain defender is the notable absentee from Louis van Gaal's provisional group, with Augsburg's Paul Verhaegh instead handed a place

Gregory van der Wiel is the most notable absentee from Netherlands' 30-man provisional World Cup squad.

The Paris Saint-Germain defender, capped 37 times by the senior Oranje side, has been overlooked in favour of Augsburg's Paul Verhaegh.

Robin van Persie, Arjen Robben, Wesley Sneijder and Rafael van der Vaart are all included in the initial squad, as have Nigel de Jong and Dirk Kuyt.

Young Feyenoord defender Terence Kongolo is handed a place as Louis van Gaal looks to experiment with a 5-3-2 system to compensate for the injured Kevin Strootman. Celtic centre-back Virgil van Dijk, however, is not included.

Squad in full:

Goalkeepers: Jasper Cillessen (Ajax), Michel Vorm (Swansea City), Tim Krul (Newcastle United), Jeroen Zoet (PSV)

Defenders: Paul Verhaegh (Augsburg), Patrick van Aanholt (Vitesse), Daryl Janmaat (Feyenoord), Joel Veltman (Ajax), Stefan de Vrij (Feyenoord), Ron Vlaar (Aston Villa), Bruno Martins Indi (Feyenoord), Karim Rekik (PSV), Terence Kongolo (Feyenoord), Daley Blind (Ajax)

Midfielders: Leroy Fer (Norwich City), Nigel de Jong (AC Milan), Jordy Clasie (Feyenoord), Jonathan de Guzman (Swansea City), Georginio Wijnaldum (PSV), Wesley Sneijder (Galatasaray), Rafael van der Vaart (Hamburg), Tonny Vilhena (Feyenoord)

Forwards: Quincy Promes (Twente), Arjen Robben (Bayern Munich), Jean-Paul Boetius (Feyenoord), Robin van Persie (Manchester United), Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (Schalke), Dirk Kuyt (Fenerbahce), Jeremain Lens (Dynamo Kiev), Memphis Depay (PSV)

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Fancied Germany are World Cup outsiders in home poll

BERLIN Wed May 14, 2014 11:07am BST

r

German national soccer team players warm up during a training session in Hamburg May 12, 2014. Germany will face Poland in a friendly match in Hamburg on Tuesday. REUTERS/Fabian Bimmer

(Reuters) - Despite being considered one of the title favourites at next month's World Cup, only about one in 20 Germans believe the side can lift the trophy, according to poll published in Stern magazine on Wednesday.

The poll of a representative sample of 1,002 people revealed only six percent thought coach Joachim Loew's team can end an 18-year trophy drought at the tournament in Brazil.

About one in 10 believe Germany will reach the final while 41 percent think the journey will end at the semi-final stage. About one in four think they will go out in the quarter-finals.

The Germans, whose last trophy win was at Euro 96, are drawn in Group G with Ghana, Portugal and the United States with almost all of those polled certain they will advance to the knockout phase.

Only two percent said they will not make it out of the group.

Home fans are not convinced the team can challenge for the World Cup with only two strikers - 35-year-old World Cup stalwart Miroslav Klose and the untested Kevin Volland.

There are also doubts over the stability of the central defence with a perception that the talented squad lacks natural leaders capable of shouldering expectations of a success-starved population.

The poll was conducted on May 8 and 9 by the Forsa Institute on behalf of the magazine and after the announcement of the 30-man provisional squad.

Loew will reduce it to 25 or 26 later on Wednesday before submitting his final 23-member squad by June 2.

(Reporting by Karolos Grohmann; Editing by John O'Brien)

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Nigeria must stick together to stop Messi, says Omeruo

404973_heroa.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
May 14, 2014 11:22:42 AM

The Chelsea defender is brimming with confidence ahead of the World Cup and has urged his side to defend as a team against the Barcelona forward

Nigeria defender Kenneth Omeruo is confident they have what it takes to stop Argentina star Lionel Messi at this summer's World Cup so long as they defend as a team.

Stephen Keshi's men take on the South American favourites in their final Group F game and Omeruo is eagerly anticipating the chance to lock horns with the Barcelona star.

"I’m really looking forward to the game against Argentina," the defender told fifa.com.

"I watch Messi a lot on TV. It’s going to be a team effort to try and stop him. Everyone will have to be positive and 100 per cent focused on the game.

"We will try as much as possible to keep a clean sheet. It will be difficult but we have to do that. They are the best players in the world and we have to show our quality by standing up to them."

Omeruo then went on to voice his side's ambition to reach at least the semi-finals in Brazil.

"We will first of all have to make sure we get maximum points from the first two games.

"I’m hoping we’ll get to the final, but I think at least the semi-finals."

Aside from Argentina, Nigeria also meet Iran and Bosnia-Herzegovina at this summer's showpiece.

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Rooney expects to be 100 percent fit for Brazil

Wed May 14, 2014 7:31am BST

r

Manchester United's Wayne Rooney celebrates after scoring a goal during their English Premier League soccer match against West Bromwich Albion at The Hawthorns in West Bromwich, central England March 8, 2014. REUTERS/Darren Staples

(Reuters) - Wayne Rooney expects to be in peak condition when he embarks on his third World Cup finals campaign next month and is excited by the potential of the young talent in the England squad.

The 28-year-old striker was rushed back from a metatarsal injury for the 2006 World Cup and carried an ankle injury into the 2010 tournament in South Africa, failing to produce anything like his best form as England flopped.

Despite missing the last three matches of a disappointing Manchester United season with a groin injury, Rooney is confident he will be fully fit when the tournament starts in Brazil on June 12.

"Previously I have always been going into the first game looking for fitness and it's difficult to get your breathing right and the rest of it," he told the Daily Mail.

"This time I honestly feel good. I have looked after myself as well as I can to be as fit as I can for this tournament. I will be ready. I'm looking forward to it.

"I really want to be 100 percent fit this time and, barring an injury in training before we go, I will be totally ready."

By contrast with the huge expectation that attended England's last two World Cup campaigns, hopes of success in Brazil are not high after they were drawn with Italy, Uruguay and Costa Rica in a tricky Group D.

YOUNG PLAYERS

Manager Roy Hodgson has included a slew of talented youngsters in his provisional squad and Rooney, a seasoned campaigner with 89 caps and 38 international goals, believes they could help make a big impression in Brazil.

"The players we have in the squad really excite me and I'm sure they will excite the fans," he said.

"Obviously the manager picks the squad but you can see that he has seen the potential in the young players, too.

"The last few games he has seen that and been excited and I'm sure that's in his thinking when he picks the teams."

Rooney picked out Everton attacking midfielder Ross Barkley and Liverpool's fleet-flooted winger Raheem Sterling for praise and has been encouraged by the form of his likely strike partner Daniel Sturridge and Southampton midfielder Adam Lallana.

Desperate to win something with his country at some stage in his career, Rooney believes Hodgson's squad have enough quality to defy odds in excess of 30-1 at the World Cup.

"There is a great mix and I think we can surprise people. It's exciting," he said, adding: "I believe we can go all the way in Brazil, I really believe that. We have a great group of young players.

"It's going to be difficult. There is a chance we could go out at the group stage but I really believe we have a group good enough to go a long way."

(Writing by Nick Mulvenney; Editing by John O'Brien)

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Young guns with no fear can inspire England, says Owen

LONDON Wed May 14, 2014 10:22am BST

r

Manchester United's Michael Owen runs during a training session at their Carrington training complex in Manchester, northern England February 22, 2012. REUTERS/Nigel Roddis

(Reuters) - England manager Roy Hodgson should be brave and let his young guns off the leash at the World Cup in Brazil, according to former striker Michael Owen.

Hodgson was praised for selecting the likes of Liverpool's 19-year-old winger Raheem Sterling and Everton midfielder Ross Barkley in his 23-man squad this week and Owen believes their "no-fear" approach can inspire England.

"They will want to show off and impress," Owen, who made a dramatic impact as an 18-year-old at the 2002 World Cup finals with a superb goal against Argentina, told The Sun on Wednesday.

"I would certainly play as many young, fearless, attacking players as I could.

"Attack is the only way, Looking at the squad, it's a signal of intent really."

With the likes of Arsenal's Jack Wilshere and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Southampton duo Adam Lallana and Luke Shaw also in the squad, England travel to south America with a youthful look but Owen does not believe their lack of tournament experience will be a hindrance.

"When you're young and go to a World Cup you have no scars," said Owen, who scored 40 goals for his country.

"You have only been used to success in football.

"That's why I like the look of this squad and get pretty excited."

Sterling's impact at Liverpool has been likened to that of the teenaged Owen, who believes his confidence will be sky high after a great season at Anfield.

"He's got pace, he's got belief in himself and he can finish," he said. "If you've got all three you've got a chance of upsetting even the best defenders.

"I'm also a fan of Barkley and Lallana and you think 'how are we going to get all these players into the team?'

"Because I'm pretty sure one or two of them will ignite the whole tournament."

England begin their World Cup campaign against Italy in Manaus on June 14, before playing Uruguay and Costa Rica.

(Writing by Martyn Herman; Editing by John O'Brien)

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Modric & Mandzukic in provisional Croatia World Cup squad

347794_heroa.jpg

By Alex Fisher
May 14, 2014 12:05:30 PM

The Real Madrid midfielder and Bayern Munich striker headline Niko Kovac's roster for the tournament in Brazil

Croatia head coach Niko Kovac has announced his provisional squad for this summer's World Cup, with Luka Modric and Mario Mandzukic as the star names, while also giving five uncapped players the chance to make their mark ahead of the World Cup.

The 42-year-old has named goalkeeper Oliver Zelenika, striker Duje Cop and midfielders Marcelo Brozovic, Ivan Mocinic and Mario Pasalic in his provisional 30-man squad for the finals.

Nikola Kalinic was left out to make room for Cop, who has scored 22 goals in 32 games for Dinamo Zagreb this season.

Kovac's squad also features Sevilla star Ivan Rakitic and the coach already has his final 23-man group in mind.

"I have in my head which 23 players who will go to Brazil, but we left some space," said Kovac. "Everyone has a chance to prove themselves.

"Mocinic had a superb season. When he was in the Under-21s he was a little restrained, but every day he is getting better

"It is similar with Pasalic and Brozovic and they will one day be the mainstays of the team.

"I personally explained why Leon Benko, Kalinic and Hrvoje Milic were not invited."

Defender Josip Simunic was unavailable for selection after his 10-match ban for "discriminatory behaviour" was upheld by the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

Croatia face Brazil, Cameroon and Mexico in Group A of the World Cup.

SQUAD IN FULL:

Goalkeepers: Stipe Pletikosa (Rostov), Danijel Subasic (Monaco), Oliver Zelenika (Lokomotiva).

Defenders: Igor Bubnjic (Udinese), Vedran Corluka (Lokomotiv), Dejan Lovren (Southampton), Danijel Pranjic (Panathinaikos), Gordon Schildenfeld (Panathinaikos), Darijo Srna (Shakhtar), Ivan Strinic (Dnipro), Domagoj Vida (Dynamo Kyiv), Sime Vrsaljko (Genoa).

Midfielders: Marcelo Brozovic (Dinamo), Milan Badelj (Hamburg), Mateo Kovacic (Inter), Niko Kranjcar (QPR), Ivan Mocinic (Rijeka), Luka Modric (Real Madrid), Mario Pasalic (Hadjuk), Ivan Rakitic (Sevilla), Jorge Sammir Cruz Campos (Getafe), Ognjen Vukojevic (Dynamo Kyiv)

Attackers: Duje Cop (Dinamo), Eduardo (Shakhtar), Ivo Ilicevic (Hamburg), Nikica Jelavic (Hull City), Mario Mandzukic (Bayern Munich), Ivica Olic (Wolfsburg), Ivan Perisic (Wolfsburg), Ante Rebic (Fiorentina)

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The Greek World Cup secret's out - Mitroglou is in

By Graham Wood
ATHENS Wed May 14, 2014 3:12pm BST

r

Olympiakos' Piraeus Kostas Mitroglou reacts during his team's Champions League soccer match against Paris St-Germain at the Parc des Princes Stadium in Paris November 27, 2013. REUTERS/Gonzalo Fuentes

ATHENS (Reuters)- - Fulham striker Kostas Mitroglou, who has barely played this year due to a knee injury, was included in a 30-man provisional World Cup squad reluctantly revealed by coach Fernando Santos on Wednesday.

Santos had previously stated that he would not announce his provisional squad, only his final selection of 23 players, on May 19,

However, following the circulation of an inaccurate squad list on various international media websites, the Portuguese coach opted to end the speculation.

Mitroglou, who joined the London club from Olympiakos Piraeus for 11 million pounds in January, played for only two hours in three matches as the club were relegated.

However, his three goals in the 4-2 aggregate playoff victory over Romania that took Greece to the finals have obviously kept him in favour.

The 26-year-old’s team-mate Giorgos Karagounis, the Greece captain with 132 caps but who played only 14 times for Fulham this season, was also named in the squad, along with other experienced campaigners such as midfielder Kostas Katsouranis and Georgios Samaras, who is leaving Celtic this summer.

Contrary to the inaccurate squad released by some news sites, goalkeeper Michalis Sifakis (Atromitos), defender Dimitris Siovas (Olympiakos) and midfielder Sotiris Ninis (PAOK) havenot made the provisional squad, while there are places for defenders Nikos Karabelas (Levante) and Vangelis Moras (Hellas Verona), midfielder Nikos Karelis (Panathinaikos) and strikers Stefanos Athanasiadis (PAOK) and DimitrisPapadopoulos (Atromitos).

Greece face Colombia, Ivory Coast and Japan in Group C in Brazil.

Greece squad:

Goalkeepers: Orestis Karnezis(Granada), Panaglotis Glykos (PAOK), Stefanos Kapino (Panathinaikos), Alexandros Tzorvas (Apollon Smyrnis).

Defenders: Avraam Papadopoulos, Kostas Manolas, Giannis Maniatis, Jose Holebas (all Olympiakos), Sokratis Papastathopoulos (Borussia Dortmund), Giorgios Tzavellas (PAOK), Loukas Vyntra (Levante), Vasilis Torosidis (Roma), Nikos Karabelas (Levante), Vangelis Moras (Hellas Verona).

Midfielders: Alexandros Tziolis (Kayserispor), Andreas Samaris (Olympiakos), Kostas Katsouranis (PAOK), GiorgosKaragounis (Fulham), Panagiotis Tachtsidis (Torino), Ioannis Fetfatzidis (Genoa), Kostas Fortounis (Kaiserslautern), Lazaros Christodoulopoulos (Bologna) Panagiotis Kone (Bologna), Nikos Karelis (Panathinaikos).

Forwards: Dimitris Salpingidis (PAOK), Giorgios Samaras (Celtic), Konstantinos Mitroglou (Fulham), TheofanisGekas (Konyaspor), Stefanos Athanasiadis (PAOK), Dimitris Papadopoulos Atromitos)

(Editing by Mitch Phillips)

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Gladbach's Kramer slips in revised Germany World Cup squad

BERLIN Wed May 14, 2014 1:47pm BST

1237038-26620502-640-360.jpg

Germany's Christoph Kramer controls the ball during their international friendly soccer match against Poland in Hamburg, May 13, 2014. REUTERS/Fabian Bimmer

(Reuters) - Borussia Moenchengladbach midfielder Christoph Kramer slipped into a revised German 27-player World Cup squad on Wednesday for a training camp in Italy next week, keeping his hopes alive of making final 23-man squad for the tournament.

Coach Joachim Loew dropped Hamburg SV defender Marcell Jansen as well as Schalke 04 teenagers Leon Goretzka and Max Meyer, who were called in the provisional 30-member squad, and replaced Augsburg's Andre Hahn with the tall 23-year-old versatile Kramer.

"This has nothing to do with Hahn's performances," Loew said. "It has to do with the position in the central midfield where we had several players with injuries or were absent for some time."

"So we want to have a further option with us at the training camp so as to be prepared for any scenario."

He also stuck with his choice for a second striker in Kevin Volland, who made his debut on Tuesday in a goalless draw against Poland, to partner veteran 35-year-old Miroslav Klose at the tournament starting next month.

Loew will further trim his squad to a final 23 by June 2, following a 10-day stay in Italy from May 21.

Germany, drawn against Ghana, Portugal and United States in Group G, will play friendly internationals against Cameroon on June 1 and Armenia on June 6 before leaving for South America.

Revised squad:

Goalkeepers: Manuel Neuer (Bayern Munich), Roman Weidenfeller (Borussia Dortmund), Ron-Robert Zieler (Hanover 96)

Defenders: Jerome Boateng (Bayern Munich), Kevin Grosskreutz (Borussia Dortmund), Erik Durm (Borussia Dortmund), Benedikt Hoewedes (Schalke 04), Mats Hummels (Borussia Dortmund), Per Mertesacker (Arsenal), Shkodran Mustafi (Sampdoria), Marcel Schmelzer (Borussia Dortmund), Philipp Lahm (Bayern Munich)

Midfielders: Lars Bender (Bayer Leverkusen), Julian Draxler (Schalke 04), Matthias Ginter (Freiburg), Mario Goetze (Bayern Munich), Christoph Kramer (Borussia Moenchengladbach), Sami Khedira (Real Madrid), Toni Kroos (Bayern Munich), Thomas Mueller (Bayern Munich), Mesut Ozil (Arsenal), Lukas Podolski (Arsenal), Marco Reus (Borussia Dortmund), Andre Schuerrle (Chelsea), Bastian Schweinsteiger (Bayern Munich)

Forwards: Miroslav Klose (Lazio), Kevin Volland (Hoffenheim)

(Reporting by Karolos Grohmann, editing by Mitch Phillips)

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

World Cup 2014: police will wear 'Robocop' style suits of armour to protect themselves

Police in Rio de Janeiro to wear heavy duty body armour during the World Cup

Brazil-Robocop_2909949b.jpg

Heavily armed BOPE officers will be kitted out in 'RoboCop' style suits of armour during the World Cup Photo: BARCROFT

By Donna Bowater
4:53PM BST 13 May 2014

World Cup police in Rio de Janeiro will be kitted out in a 'RoboCop' style suit of armour to protect officers in the event of violent protests during the tournament.

Members of a special unit set up for the World Cup and 2016 Olympics in Rio received 200 sets of the special 22lbs (10kg) protective equipment, which is flame resistant to up to 427C.

Brazil-policeman_2909957c.jpg

The paramilitary police riot body armour (AFP/GETTY)

The equipment also includes a helmet and vest that protects the back, chest and shoulders, as well as space for a pistol, stun gun, handcuffs, baton and gun loader.

The Major Events Police Battalion (BPGE), a branch of the military police, was formed in January this year in response to widespread public demonstrations during last year’s Confederations Cup.

Last year, there were ugly scenes of clashes between police and demonstrators as thousands protested against public spending ahead of the World Cup, which starts next month.

Rio de Janeiro will host seven games during the competition, including the final on July 13.

The unit was announced in Rio state’s Official Gazette and has 600 specially trained officers.

The announcement by Jose Mariano Beltrame, state secretary for security, cited “the need to give the military police specialised, efficient and intelligent instruments for patrolling, aimed at the preservation of public order in public places where there is the presence of a crowd of people gathered together.”

Lieutenant colonel Wagner Villares, commander of the unit, said the equipment, which is reminiscent of the action character RoboCop, would protect officers from missiles like the firecracker that killed cameraman Santiago Andrade earlier this year.

“The plastic uniform is resistant to knocks and blows,” he told news website Ultimo Segundo.

“Underneath the plastic that covers the back and the chest, there is another protective layer that absorbs and spreads the force of a blow.” The armour is similar to that worn by the Choque battalion, a special riot control unit.

Like police units in Sao Paulo, the Major Events Police Battalion officers have also received martial arts training.

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Australia call on youngsters for provisional World Cup squad

403987_heroa.jpg

By Iain Strachan
May 14, 2014 4:34:00 PM

Uncapped players Bailey Wright and Ben Halloran have joined experienced stars Tim Cahill and Mile Jedinak in Ange Postecoglou's initial selection

Bailey Wright was the most surprising inclusion in Ange Postecoglou's provisional 30-man Australia squad for the World Cup named on Wednesday.

Wright was just one of a number of inexperienced youngsters selected in the provisional squad with the uncapped defender having played 44 games in England's League One for Preston North End this season.

The 21-year-old was joined in the squad by fellow centre-back Curtis Good, despite the Newcastle United man's playing time on loan at Dundee United being severely restricted by injury in recent months.

Uncapped forward Ben Halloran, who had to pull out of the friendly squad to face Ecuador in March, has received another call-up following his impressive form for Fortuna Dusseldorf in the 2. Bundesliga this season.

Newcastle Jets trio of goalkeeper Mark Birighitti, utility Josh Brillante and striker Adam Taggart have all been selected, although arguably only the latter, the 2013-14 A-League golden boot winner, is likely to survive the final cut to 23 players.

While Tim Cahill was surely assured of a place in the squad, he is joined by fellow veterans in striker Josh Kennedy, full-back Luke Wilkshire and midfielder Mark Bresciano, who had been banned from playing at Al Gharafa for four months this season due to an illegal transfer from his previous club.

Crystal Palace midfielder Mile Jedinak is expected to captain the Socceroos in Brazil if he recovers from a groin injury suffered on the final day of the Premier League season.

"The squad has been selected with form and fitness as key indicators as well as having one eye on the future," Postecoglou said in a statement.

"We face a formidable challenge in Brazil but it is also a big opportunity and we head to the World Cup with no barriers as we look to write a new chapter in our rich football history."

Australia will begin their pre-tournament training camp in Gosford this week ahead of their farewell friendly against South Africa in Sydney on May 26.

Their first match of the World Cup is against Chile in Cuiaba on June 13.

Squad in full :

Goalkeepers : Mark Birighitti (Newcastle Jets), Eugene Galekovic (Adelaide United), Mitch Langerak (Borussia Dortmund), Mat Ryan (Club Brugge)

Defenders : Jason Davidson (Heracles), Ivan Franjic (Brisbane Roar), Curtis Good (Newcastle United), Ryan McGowan (Shandong Luneng), Matthew Spiranovic (Western Sydney Wanderers), Alex Wilkinson (Jeonbuk Motors), Luke Wilkshire (Dinamo Moscow), Bailey Wright (Preston North End).

Midfielders : Oliver Bozanic (Luzern), Mark Bresciano (Al Gharafa), Josh Brillante (Newcastle Jets), James Holland (Austria Vienna), Mile Jedinak (Crystal Palace), Massimo Luongo (Swindon Town), Matt McKay (Brisbane Roar), Mark Milligan (Melbourne Victory), Tom Rogic (Celtic), Adam Sarota (Utrecht), Dario Vidosic (FC Sion)

Forwards : Tim Cahill (New York Red Bulls), Ben Halloran (Fortuna Dusseldorf), Josh Kennedy (Nagoya Grampus), Mathew Leckie (FSV Frankfurt), Tommy Oar (Utrecht), Adam Taggart (Newcastle Jets), James Troisi (Atalanta)

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Valencia confirmed in Ecuador provisional World Cup squad

404885_heroa.jpg

By Sacha Pisani
May 14, 2014 2:35:05 PM

The Manchester United winger will captain Reinaldo Rueda's 30-man selection - which includes Stuttgart youngster Carlos Gruezo - before the final cut is reduced to 23 players

Manchester United winger Antonio Valencia headlines Ecuador's provisional squad for next month's World Cup in Brazil.

Head coach Reinaldo Rueda had named a 24-man squad for Ecuador's international friendly against Netherlands on Saturday, but he has added a further six players to finalise his initial selection.

Edison Mendez - Ecuador's third-most capped player in history with 108 - John Narvaez, Michael Arroyo, Oswaldo Minda, Angel Mena and Cristian Penilla have been included alongside captain Valencia.

All nations participating at the World Cup finals are required to submit their official 23-man squads by June 2, though uncapped Stuttgart young-gun Carlos Gruezo is expected to survive the cull.

Cristian Ramirez, Renato Ibarra and Christian Noboa are the only other players from the preliminary selection to be plying their trade in Europe.

Liga MX top scorer Enner Valencia will likely be the focul point in an attack robbed of the talent of Christian Benitez, who died of a heart attack following a cup game for Qatari outfit El Jaish in July last year.

Ecuador will go head-to-head with the Netherlands, Mexico and England in the lead up to Brazil, before opening their World Cup campaign against Switzerland in Group E action on June 15.

France, the 1998 champions, and Honduras complete the group.

Squad in full:

Goalkeepers: Maximo Banguera (Barcelona, Ecuador), Adrian Bone (El Nacional), Alexander Dominguez (Liga de Quito)

Defenders: Gabriel Achilier (Emelec), Walter Ayovi (Pachuca), Oscar Bagui (Emelec), Frickson Erazo (Flamengo), Jorge Guagua (Emelec), John Narvaez (Emelec), Juan Carlos Paredes (Barcelona, Ecuador), Cristian Ramirez (Fortuna Duesseldorf)

Midfielders: Michael Arroyo (Atlante), Segundo Castillo (Al Hilal), Carlos Gruezo (Stuttgart), Renato Ibarra (Vitesse), Fidel Martinez (Tijuana), Edison Mendez (Santa Fe), Oswaldo Minda (Chivas USA), Christian Noboa (Dynamo Moscow), Pedro Quinonez (Emelec), Luis Saritama (Barcelona, Ecuador), Antonio Valencia (Manchester United)

Forwards: Jaime Ayovi (Tijuana), Felipe Caicedo (Al-Jazira), Angel Mena (Emelec), Jefferson Montero (Morelia), Cristian Penilla (Barcelona, Ecuador), Joao Rojas (Cruz Azul), Enner Valencia (Pachuca), Armando Wila (Universidad Catolica)

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

World Cup 2014: Iran head coach Carlos Queiroz fumes as infighting leaves his squad woefully under prepared

Former Real Madrid manager, whose side face Argentina, Bosnia and Nigeria in Group F, admits: "We will not make it to the next round."

Carlos_Queiroz_2910859b.jpg

Caught in the middle: Carlos Queiroz looks on as Iranian players are put through their paces, belatedly Photo: AFP

By James Montague, World Cup Nation, Iran
12:00PM BST 14 May 2014

There were no fans, no penalty areas painted on to the grass and no referee but on Apr 22 the Iran national team's 5-0 success over South African club Moroka Swallows in Johannesburg was still a victory. And they have come at a premium this year.

Carlos Queiroz's Iran team are currently on a warm-weather training camp in South Africa to prepare Team Melli for arguably the toughest pool of the tournament: Group F which includes Lionel Messi's Argentina, African champions Nigeria and dark horses Bosnia. But little has gone right so far.

Only 11 home-based players arrived in South Africa after a club-versus-country row erupted between Iran's top clubs and the federation. The camp coincided with the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) Champions League, the region's premier club competition. Esteghlal and Sepahan Isfahan both refused to release their players called up to squad, forcing Queiroz to release the players from Foolad and Tractor Sazi who were also in the Champions League but had let their players go.

The first test for the patched-up team was Moroka Swallows who are currently 12th in the South African Premier League. “Our main goal was not to get a good result in this friendly match,” Queiroz said after the game. “We wanted to identify the weak and strong links of our team. We will continue fitness training to get players in good shape.”

The lack of support from Iran's top clubs has added to a sense that Iran won't be going in to the finals with anywhere near the quality of preparation to equip Team Melli to play against three of the stronger teams at the tournament. Friendlies have been hard to come by. Iran lost to Guinea back in early March and their next match was planned against Mozambique – the modern-day country of Queiroz's birth – which had been brought forward five days to May 2 after the Iranian Federation decided to leave South Africa early.

Iranian fans – certainly those who have replied to my previous posts – point to the federation’s lack of money (and ineptitude) for the paucity of top-level opponents, rather than the country's pariah status. Yet there is a danger that Iran will be heading to Brazil the least prepared of all the finalists.

“With such arrangement and program failures, don’t expect much from Team Melli in Brazil. We will not make it to the next round because of the failure of the South Africa Camp,” Queiroz said in a TV interview, according to Teammelli.com (an outstanding resource for Iranian football news in English) after a 3-3 draw with the Orlando Pirates.

Queiroz was not happy with the chaos surrounding the team and the lack of support from Iran's top domestic teams. He continued: “It was a decision made by the Minister of Youth and Sport and the head of the football federation to go ahead with the camp. I am only a coach here. So all those who disregarded the instructions and refused to release the players have actually disrespected the minister.

"Even up to our departure time, we did not know if those players will be joining us or not. This training camp was vital for the team’s prospect. We came here to prepare the players to play against African teams. I did not come here for leisure.”

Such are the travails of international football far away from mega sponsorship deals and star-filled Nike adverts that even getting the right kit and paying the excess baggage has been an issue for Iran. Teammelli.com also reported that Queiroz went on to complain about Iran's official kit provider UHLSport for issuing only one set of tracksuits for players for three weeks. “We paid $30,000 for our excess baggage, we could have bought more kits for our players' training instead,” Queiroz said.

The full team won't be assembled until after Europe's seasons have ended. Queiroz's reign has been characterised by the number of foreign-born or foreign-raised players being drafted in, the likes of Ashkan Dejagah and Reza Ghoochannejhad in particular being notable success stories. But Iran's disastrous training camp has highlighted not just the problems Iran has getting a game but also the worsening relationship between Queiroz and the Iranian federation.

Without explanation, the Mozambique friendly was abruptly cancelled too. The head of the Iranian federation later explained that Queiroz had himself taken the decision. The cancellation means that Iran will have played one friendly this year before the end of the season. “I am sorry if I sound negative and despondent,” Queiroz said. “But if I do not say these things, then we will not get any support.” Nigeria and Bosnia, the two teams likely to battle it out for second place in the group, must be rubbing their hands with glee.

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Portugal dependent on Ronaldo - Low

401555_heroa.jpg

By Miles Chambers
May 15, 2014 12:40:00 AM

The coach praised the Real Madrid man but suggested that Germany's opponents at the World Cup rely heavily on the forward

Germany boss Joachim Low believes Portugal are heavily dependent on Cristiano Ronaldo, claiming that the forward single-handedly secured World Cup qualification.

The Real Madrid attacker scored all four goals in the 4-2 aggregate play-off win over Sweden which sealed the Seleccao's spot in Brazil after they struggled in the initial Uefa qualification phase.

Low's side, who comfortably sailed into their 15th successive World Cup, praised Ronaldo but suggested Portugal do not have many other players to drag them out of a group including Germany, Ghana and USA.

"Cristiano Ronaldo justifiably won the Ballon d'Or for his performances last year, he seemed to score two or three goals in almost every game he played in, including for Portugal," the trainer told DPA.

"In the play-off with Sweden he decided everything yourself, pretty much. Although they have other good players, Portugal are very dependent on Cristiano Ronaldo."

Ronaldo will head into the tournament having endured a troubling couple of months. He missed the Copa del Rey final due to a muscular problem and remains a minor doubt for the Champions League showpiece later in May.

He is expected to be rested in Real Madrid's final game of the season on Saturdayat home to Espanyol, as Carlo Ancelotti looks to keep him fit to face Atletico Madrid as the team chase La Decima on May 24.

Low made some unexpected alterations to his squad on the back of a 0-0 friendly draw with Poland on Tuesday, most notably Borussia Monchengladbach midfielder Christph Kramer was brought in while forward Andre Hahn was dropped entirely.

Leon Goretzka and Max Meyer - both of Schalke - and Hamburg's Marcell Jansen have been demoted to back-up players for the World Cup squad should his core group of 27 players, still to be cut to 23 before June 2, pick up injuries.

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Italy squad is strange - Toni

403045_heroa.jpg

By Miles Chambers
May 14, 2014 9:58:00 PM

The veteran forward was critical of the Azzurri's provisional list to take to the World Cup, where he sees Brazil and Uruguay as two of the favourites

Hellas Verona striker and former Italy star Luca Toni has criticised Cesare Prandelli's 30-man provisional squad for this summer's World Cup.

Toni's 21 goals in 35 games this season had seen him linked with a return to the Azzurri set-up, despite the 36-year-old having not played for the national team in five years.

Despite accepting that he was always an outsider to make the final 23-man squad, never mind the provisional list, the former Bayern Munich forward has his doubts over some of the players that Prandelli might take to Brazil.

"Prandelli made some choices I did not expect," Toni told Verona's website.

"My absence was already expected, I was not part of the team during World Cup qualifying, but I am surprised by Alberto Gilardino’s exclusion."

Italy suffered a humiliating group stage exit four years ago after winning the trophy in 2006 and Toni thinks they must concentrate on winning rather than playing pretty football.

"Playing a beautiful style of play is not enough, you have to win," the attacker added. "To do this we must be strong in such a hard group, as we did in 2006 in Germany.

"I think that Brazil and Uruguay are the pre-tournament favourites."

Italy have been drawn with Uruguay, England and Costa Rica in the World Cup finals - considered one of the harder groups at the tournament.

England won their group in Uefa qualification the same as Italy, while Costa Rica finished second behind USA in the Concacaf region.

Uruguay needed to defeat Jordan in an intercontinental play-off having finished fifth in the Conmebol region. However, they won the Copa America three years ago and reached the semi-finals of the last World Cup.

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Brazil World Cup 2014: criminals fire AK47 rifles to celebrate goal

Brazil criminals on film celebrate goal at 'favela world cup' football match in Rio de Janeiro by firing rifles in air

<iframe webkitallowfullscreen="true" src="http://player.ooyala.com/iframe.html#pbid=ZTIxYmJjZDM2NWYzZDViZGRiOWJjYzc5&ec=UzZGZ3bTpjgrr0y6sEmRhbDi5OoqBvvY&docUrl=about%3Ablank" frameborder="0" height="357px" width="635px"></iframe>

By Donna Bowater, Rio de Janeiro
8:19PM BST 14 May 2014

A video showing criminals firing rifles to celebrate a goal at a favela football match in Rio de Janeiro has emerged.

Gang members wearing the Brazil strip can be seen shooting the guns in the Vila Aliança community in the west of the city.

The footage, which lasts less than a minute and was sent to local media, shows a striker for Vila Aliança Clube scoring a penalty, prompting a frenzy of gunshots from watching supporters.

The club is believed to be backed by Rafael Alves, nicknamed Fish, a wanted leader of the Terceiro Comando Puro (Pure Third Command) drug gang.

According to experts, the guns included powerful AK47 rifles.

“They are all restricted military weapons from abroad,” gun specialist Vinícius Cavalcanti told news website Extra.

“It shows the great firepower of these criminals but there’s no novelty in the weapons we see here. It’s no surprise.”

It is customary in Brazil to celebrate goals with fireworks.

But at the match, as part of a World Cup-style competition organised in the favela, at least five guns were used instead.

Gangsters were also captured watching the game with their weapons slung across their shoulders.

The incident happened earlier this month.

Lieutenant Colonel Glaucio Moreira da Silva, former commander of the military police unit responsible for the area, said police had no information about the football tournament involving traffickers.

“We really had no knowledge of this episode,” he said. “We have made arrests and seized guns in Vila Aliança.”

This morning, the Facebook page for the event had beenremoved but it is understood that earlier rounds of the competition had been suspended in March because of shootings in the favela.

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

FIFA scores an own goal with buggy mobile app

FIFA's official mobile app has been plagued with negative reviews, due to consistent crashes and failed requests

neymar_act_2577798b.jpg

I'm the man: Neymar scores at the Emirates Stadium Photo: ACTION IMAGES

By Sophie Curtis
3:18PM BST 14 May 2014

When FIFA launched its official app for Android and iOS in December 2014, ahead of the World Cup draw, it declared that it would be the most downloaded sports app ever.

The app features a match centre with live coverage from more than 200 national leagues and competitions across the globe, personalised by the fan’s favourite clubs and national teams.

“Our mission is to not only develop the game, but to touch the world and build a better future," said FIFA President Blatter in the launch announcement.

"With the official FIFA app, we are using mobile – the most personal technology ever known – to unite and inspire fans, ensuring they never miss a moment of the beautiful game.”

Five months later, and FIFA’s app is in danger of relegation, with consistent crashes and failed requests resulting in a large number of negative reviews – particularly on Google Play.

Recognising the potential for football fan frustration, technology performance company Compuware conducted an analysis of the app and found that it crashes consistently in three different areas.

The first is when the user tries to view the team information for Brazil, the second is when the user is navigating content, and the third is when the user tried to load the news on the initial page.

Compuware also discovered that the app is inefficient in the way accesses information, making far more requests that necessary, meaning that it is likely to run very slowly peak times.

Drilling down into the root cause of these issues, Compuware discovered that it would be relatively straightforward to solve the problems, yet they have not been addressed.

“More people than ever before will be following this year’s World Cup through their smartphones and tablets. It’s therefore very surprising to see that the ball has really been dropped with FIFA’s mobile app," said Klaus Enzenhofer, technology strategist at Compuware.

"The reality is that mobile apps are incredibly complex, but developers are often being forced to rush them out in ever shorter timescales to keep up with market demands. As a result, there often isn’t the time to test them as rigorously as applications should, and indeed would have been in the past."

He added that user experience has the potential to make or break the success of an app, so businesses like FIFA need to be able to follow every user transaction from the user’s screen down to the backend IT systems, in order to identify the root cause of any issue.

"Let’s just hope FIFA is able to iron out these teething troubles by the time the World Cup kicks off, or there are going to be some very disappointed football fans out there,” Enzenhofer said.

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Brazil want Barcelona to beat Atletico, suggests Scolari

265290_heroa.jpg

By Miles Chambers
May 14, 2014 9:14:00 PM

The 65-year-old's comments come after the Brazilian FA hit back at reports they had asked Neymar to be rested on Saturday

Brazil boss Luiz Felipe Scolari has suggested that he and the rest of the national set-up are rooting for Barcelona over Atletico Madrid in the race for La Liga this weekend.

Diego Simeone's men travel to Camp Nou on Saturday knowing that a draw or win will guarantee them a shock title victory, while defeat in Catalunya will result in Barca taking home the trophy once again.

With Brazil's Dani Alves and Neymar involved for Barca, Scolari is hoping that his two players can be given a boost ahead of the World Cup this summer by winning La Liga.

"We not only want our players to play but to be champions," the coach told reporters. "That will boost our morale and self-esteem, and, with that, the Brazilian team also wins."

Scolari's comments came after the Brazilian football association (CBF) denied they had requested the Catalans to rest Neymar in Saturday's crucial Liga clash, as reports in Spain had claimed.

"The reports, which are wrong, are completely the opposite direction and thoughts of members," the CBF said in a statement.

Brazil feature in their first match of the World Cup - in which they are hosts - on June 12, with the final to be played on July 13.