• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆☆☆ FIFA World Cup 2014 ☆☆☆

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Chile take charge of Vidal recovery

404399_heroa.jpg

By Matthew Scott
May 12, 2014 8:34:20 PM

The Juventus midfielder faces a race against time if he is to recover from a knee injury to play a part in this summer's World Cup in Brazil

Chile have taken over the management of Arturo Vidal's rehabilitation after knee surgery as the Juventus star battles to be fit to play a part in the World Cup.

The midfielder has spent much of the last few months playing though the pain of a torn meniscus in his right knee and, having helped Juve to a third consecutive Serie A title, opted for surgery just five weeks ahead of his country's World Cup opener against Australia on June 13.

Vidal faces a race against time to be fit for the tournament in Brazil, but will be given the best chance to do so by his club, who have allowed Chile's medical staff to monitor his treatment, which will take place in his homeland.

A Juve statement read: "Following last week's knee surgery in Barcelona, Arturo Vidal has been granted permission by Juventus Football Club, in agreement with the Chilean Football Federation, to continue his rehabilitation in his home country.

"The Juventus medical staff and their counterparts from the Chilean national team will remain in close contact in order to monitor the player’s progress."

Before having his season curtailed, Vidal had scored 18 goals in 49 appearances for club and country.

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Eto'o to equal Cameroon World Cup finals record

404332_heroa.jpg

By Matthew Rogerson
May 12, 2014 6:46:48 PM

Samuel Eto'o is poised to play in his fourth World Cup for Cameroon, after being named in Volker Finke's provisional squad for Brazil 2014.

The Chelsea striker has previously represented the Indomitable Lions on the game's grandest stage in 1998, 2002 and 2010, meaning should he feature in this summer's tournament, the 33-year-old will draw level with Rigobert Song and Jacques Songo'o, both of whom partook in a Cameroonian record four tournaments.

Eto'o, who performed a dramatic u-turn on his decision to retire from international football last year, will also have his eye on Roger Milla's national goals record at the finals. The iconic forward netted five times across three World Cups, but Eto'o is just two goals in arrears.

Elsewhere, Fabrice Olinga has also been included in Finke's 28-strong squad - despite having only five caps to his name.

Hamburg's Jacques Zoua misses out with injury, but Edgar Salli, the 21-year-old Lens winger, could play a part in Cameroon's midfield, which boasts experienced internationals such as Jean Makoun, Stephane Mbia and Alex Song.

Cameroon get their World Cup campaign under way against Mexico in Natal on June 13, before meeting Croatia and Brazil in Group A.

Cameroon 28-man provisional World Cup squad:

Goalkeepers: Loic Feudjou (Coton Sport), Charles Itandje (Konyaspor), Sammy N'Djock (Fethiyespor), Guy N'dy Assembe (Guingamp).

Defenders: Benoit Assou-Ekotto (QPR), Henri Bedimo (Lyon), Gaetan Bong (Olympiacos), Aurelien Chedjou (Galatasaray), Cedric Djeugou (Coton Sport), Jean-Armel Kana-Biyik (Rennes), Nicolas N'Koulou (Marseille), Dany Nounkeu (Besiktas), Allan Nyom (Granada).

Midfielders: Eyong Enoh (Antalyaspor), Raoul Loe (Osasuna), Jean Makoun (Rennes), Joel Matip (Schalke), Stephane Mbia (Sevila), Landry N'Guemo (Bordeaux), Edgar Salli (Lens), Alex Song (Barcelona).

Strikers: Vincent Aboubakar (Lorient), Maxim Choupo-Moting (Mainz), Samuel Eto'o (Chelsea), Mohammadou Idrissou (Kaiserslautern), Benjamin Moukandjo Nancy), Fabrice Olinga (Zulte Waregem), Pierre Webo (Fenerbahce).

On standby: Frank Bagnack (Barcelona), Zock Bep (Cosmos de Bafia).

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Hodgson: Of course England can win World Cup

404164_heroa.jpg

By Tom Maston
May 12, 2014 6:19:00 PM

After naming his 23-man panel on Monday, the Three Lions boss admitted that like every other coach he believes he has the players capable of going all the way

England manager Roy Hodgson believes his squad have what it takes to win the World Cup after naming a youthful squad for the tournament in Brazil.

Despite admitting that every coach heading to South America will be confident in the players they have selected, the former Liverpool boss feels that if his side peform to their capabilities they have as good a chance of victory as anyone.

"I believe the squad can win the World Cup, otherwise what's the point of taking a squad to the World Cup if you don't have some belief they can win it," Hodgson told reporters.

"But they’re empty words. I’ve never quite understood the importance people attach to them.

"I'm certain [Luis Felipe] Scolari is saying Brazil are going to win it. I'm certain the Uruguayan coach is saying they're going to win it. I'm certin the Argentine and the German ones are too. Why should we say otherwise?

"If we’re going to win we’ll have to play very well. If we're going to win it, we're going to have to prepare very well. And if we're going to win it, this talented group of players are going to have to show their talent. Otherwise all the words, belief and optimism count for nothing.

"I think we're right to have some degree of optimism and I think we're right to work on the basis that there is a mood of positivity in the country. We're going to try and feed off that and get our energy from that.

"We're going to make certain that we do nothing to let people down. Whether it will take us to a World Cup final, who knows, but you have to do your best."

Hodgson has named a number of young players in his 23-man squad, with the likes of Luke Shaw (18), Raheem Sterling (19) and Ross Barkley (20) will all be on the plane after some fine performances in the Premier League.

And the Three Lions boss admitted that those players would be going for more than just tournament experience and would be in with a chance of selection in the starting line-up.

"They’ve imposed themselves upon me. I never set out to take them. They’ve played so well and been so effective in their club teams that they’ve imposed themselves and their ability on my thinking.

"I'm sure in October if I'd had to have pick my squad after the qualifiers it would have looked somewhat different, but a lot of water has gone under the bridge between then and now.

"You can’t ignore what people are doing on a week-to-week basis for their club sides. You don’t pick football teams on anything other than what’s happening at any particular time. Your decision is to pick the best man to do the job.

"I must emphasise that they are there because they deserve there. I’m not taking anyone for the experience."

RubbingWarmPusi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Hodgson: Of course England can win World Cup

After naming his 23-man panel on Monday, the Three Lions boss admitted that like every other coach he believes he has the players capable of going all the way

England manager Roy Hodgson believes his squad have what it takes to win the World Cup after naming a youthful squad for the tournament in Brazil.

England win? Hodgson is living in a strange world of his own.

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Low: I will not quit if Germany win World Cup

404607_heroa.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
May 13, 2014 11:38:02 AM

The national team coach has vowed to honour his contract regardless of the outcome of this summer's tournament in Brazil

Germany boss Joachim Low has insisted that he would not step down if the Nationalelf were to win this summer's World Cup.

The 54-year-old signed a new deal with the DFB until 2016 back in October 2013, but a number of recent reports suggested he could vacate his position should he lead the country to victory in Brazil.

However, Low has now stressed that he intends to stay in his current job regardless of the outcome of the World Cup.

"As of today, I expect to stay on as Germany coach until 2016. That's what we have agreed upon," Low was quoted as saying by Express.

"Some might say I should quit if we win the World Cup, but you could also see it as a motivational boost when you become world champions. To build upon such a success and confirm your success would be amazing, too.

"Some people might think winning the World Cup is a good moment to step down, but [Spain coach] Vicente del Bosque set his sights on winning the European championships after their World Cup triumph."

Germany will have to deal with Portugal, Ghana and USA in Group G at the World Cup.

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Suarez & Cavani headline provisional Uruguay squad

404483_heroa.jpg

By Dejan Kalinic
May 13, 2014 9:21:16 AM

There were few surprises in the South Americans' roster for this summer's tournament as all their star players made the cut

Uruguay coach Oscar Tabarez has named his provisional squad for this summer's World Cup, with Paris Saint-Germain striker Edinson Cavani and Liverpool star Luis Suarez as the two biggest names in the 25-man roster.

Furthermore, record caps holder Diego Forlan has also been included after a solid start at J. League club Cerezo Osaka.

Of the 25 players, 18 are under contract with European clubs, with Liverpool defender Sebastian Coates – on loan at Uruguay's Nacional – and Southampton midfielder Gaston Ramirez also making the squad, which is expected to be cut down to 23 on the Fifa deadline of June 2.

Another three players – Andres Scotti (Nacional), Alvaro Fernandez (Gimnasia La Plata) and Gonzalo Castro (Real Sociedad) – have been named but will take no part in the training camp.

Uruguay have friendlies scheduled against Northern Ireland and Slovenia before a meeting with Costa Rica on June 14 opens their World Cup campaign.

Uruguay face Italy, England and Costa Rica in Group D in Brazil.

SQUAD IN FULL:

Goalkeepers: Rodrigo Munoz (Libertad), Fernando Muslera (Galatasaray), Martin Silva (Vasco da Gama)

Defenders: Martin Caceres (Juventus), Sebastian Coates (Liverpool), Jorge Fucile (Porto), Jose Maria Gimenez (Atletico Madrid), Diego Godin (Atletico Madrid), Diego Lugano (West Brom), Alvaro Pereira (Sao Paulo), Maxi Pereira (Benfica), Alejandro Silva (Lanus)

Midfielders: Egidio Arevalo (Tigres UANL), Sebastian Eguren (Palmeiras), Walter Gargano (Parma), Alvaro Gonzalez (Lazio), Nicolas Lodeiro (Botafogo), Diego Perez (Bologna), Gaston Ramirez (Southampton), Cristian Rodriguez (Atletico Madrid)

Forwards: Edinson Cavani (Paris Saint-Germain), Diego Forlan (Cerezo Osaka), Abel Hernandez (Palermo), Christian Stuani (Espanyol), Luis Suarez (Liverpool).

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Nasri out of France's provisional World Cup squad

404794_heroa.jpg

By Joe Wright
May 13, 2014 7:46:23 PM

The midfielder has, as expected, been omitted by Didier Deschamps, with Franck Ribery, Karim Benzema and Patrice Evra all included

Manchester City midfielder Samir Nasri has been left out of France's provisional World Cup squad.

Nasri was widely expected to be omitted by coach Didier Deschamps, who has handed somewhat surprising places to Raphael Varane - who has been struggling for game time at Real Madrid this season - as well as young full-back Lucas Digne ahead of Gael Clichy.

Franck Ribery, Karim Benzema, Patrice Evra, Paul Pogba and Yohan Cabaye are all included.

Squad in full

Goalkeepers: Hugo Lloris (Tottenham), Steve Mandanda (Marseille), Mickeal Landreau (Bastia)

Defenders: Raphael Varane (Real Madrid ), Mamadou Sakho (Liverpool ), Mathieu Debuchy (Newcastle), Laurent Koscielny (Arsenal ), Lucas Digne (Paris), Eliaquim Mangala (Porto), Bacary Sagna (Arsenal), Patrice Evra (Manchester United)

Midfielders: Yohan Cabaye (PSG), Paul Pogba (Juventus), Blaise Matuidi (PSG), Moussa Sissoko (Newcastle), Clement Grenier (Lyon), Rio Mavuba (Lille), Mathieu Valbuena (Marseille).

Forwards: Karim Benzema (Real Madrid), Franck Ribery (Bayern Munich), Antoine Griezmann (Real Sociedad), Olivier Giroud (Arsenal), Loic Remy (Newcastle)

Reserve list: Remy Cabella (Montpellier), Maxime Gonalons (Lyon), Alexandre Lacazette (Lyon), Loic Perrin (Saint-Etienne), Stephane Ruffier (Saint-Etienne), Morgan Schneiderlin (Southampton), Benoit Tremoulinas (Saint-Etienne).

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Government report pours cold water on England World Cup hopes

LONDON Tue May 13, 2014 5:33pm BST

r

England soccer manager Roy Hodgson reacts as he announces his squad for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil, at a news conference in Luton, southern England May 12, 2014. REUTERS/Eddie Keogh

(Reuters) - Pessimism about England's World Cup prospects seems to have reached the highest levels after a government document suggested that the national team faced their customary early exit from the tournament.

"While England are certain to be playing in the matches in the first period, there is a high probability that they will not be playing in the later matches," said a report looking at the arguments for allowing pubs to open later during next month's World Cup.

England face Italy, Uruguay and Costa Rica in a tough opening group from which two teams advance.

"England have a 54 percent probability of progressing past the group stage and an 11 percent probability of progressing past the quarter-finals," it added.

The forecast was not based on the predictions of a soccer-loving civil servant but drawn from the odds offered by online betting exchange Betfair.

"The government is of course 100 percent behind the England football team and we wish the players every success in the World Cup," said a spokeswoman for the Home Office, the government department responsible for the report.

England's only World Cup success came in 1966 on home soil and few fans believe that a youthful squad can replicate that triumph in Brazil.

(Writing by Keith Weir, editing by Toby Davis)

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

'Only Van Persie and Robben are sure of World Cup spots' - Van Gaal

403455_heroa.jpg

By Peter McVitie
May 13, 2014 4:49:00 PM

The coach says no one is certain of a spot in the 23-man squad to travel to Brazil apart from the Manchester United and Bayern Munich stars and says there's a lot to be decided

Louis van Gaal says there are only two players who are guaranteed a place in his final Netherlands squad for the World Cup - Robin van Persie and Arjen Robben.

The Oranje coach was expected to name his provisional squad in a press conference on Tuesday afternoon but sat down in front of the media and revealed he will announce the list of players later in the evening.

The 62-year-old said he wanted to deliver the news to his players first before revealing it to the press and insisted there are still a lot of players to assess but did say Manchester United and Bayern Munich stars are certain of a place in the 23.

"Everybody thinks that the process is already finished, but that's not true," he told reporters. "The players in foreign leagues need to show it as well. Only Van Persie and Robben are sure of their spot, but I've said that for a year and a half.

"I will name the preliminary squad tonight, because I want to tell the players myself if they make it. I don't want them to hear it from the media.

"A couple of the young players of the recent stage made a good impression and could make the 23. But if a player doesn't make the preliminary squad, then he won't make the definite team.

"We still need to judge the players from foreign competitions and we will do that in the next training stage and in Portugal [last training stage]."

The coach is expected to set his team out in a 5-3-2 system, as opposed to his favoured 4-3-3 and he revealed that, had it not been for the injury of Kevin Strootman earlier this year, he would have no need to change his formation.

"It's easier to make a list of 30 players in the new system. The fact that Strootman is injured and that we faced troubles with the left back position, are reasons to try a new system. If Strootman wasn't injured, I wouldn't have considered this new system.

"It's not a new system. Our Dutch philosophy about football still stays intact. We still want to play attacking football, only in another system.

"You can watch the friendly against Ecuador [on Saturday] and judge our new system. I'm aware of the fact that it's a risk, but I do want to win. So if I think this is the best way, we will do this.

"When Strootman got injured, I already said that I was considering a new system. We don't have another player like Strootman. France, for instance have [Paul] Pogba and [Blaise] Matuidi, two players that I would like to pick.

"We think that the quality of the players comes out best with this new system. First I spoke about it with my staff and after that with my captains. After that I spoke with several other players.

"Everybody had a lot of enthusiasm because the players will play within their qualities. But it's not sure that we will play this system, so I don't want to talk about it too much."

The former Ajax boss said he has decided part of his line-up for his team but added there is a lot to be decided.

"I have my line-up in my head for more than five players. But that also depends on the change of system and the shape of the players at the moment we're playing against Spain.

"Sometimes during a World Cup, a player with a high number [on his shirt] will make the starting line-up. That shows that the shape of the day is important."

He was then asked about the possibility of taking over as Manchester United coach next season, but refused to comment.

"We're all here because of the Dutch national team. I don't want to say anything about United. Last week I did, because there were some English journalists who came unannounced to the training stage.

"I said a few words and that became a story of 60 pages. We will have to wait and if you want answers, you have to ask Manchester United."

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Rossi, Immobile and Cassano included in Italy provisional squad

404737_heroa.jpg

By Peter McVitie
May 13, 2014 7:21:00 PM

The Fiorentina forward has been out of action for long spells this season but is included in the Azzurri's 30-man provisional set-up, alongside the Parma star

Italy coach Cesare Prandelli has announced his 30 man provisional squad for the World Cup, including Giuseppe Rossi, Antonio Cassano and Ciro Immobile in the list of players.

The Azzurri have been drawn in Group D alongside Uruguay, England and Costa Rica and kick the tournament off with a game against Roy Hodgson's men on June 14.

Prandelli has included Fiorentina frontman Rossi, despite the former Villarreal star playing in only two Serie A matches since early January having just recovered from a cruciate ligament injury.

Cassano also makes the cut after some excellent performances for Parma this term, while Torino star and Serie A top goalscorer Immobile has also been included alongside Mattia Destro, Lorenzo Insigne and Marco Verratti. Hellas' Brazilian-born midfielder Romulo is also on the list.

Usual suspects Daniele De Rossi, Andrea Pirlo, Mario Balotelli, Gianluigi Buffon, Claudio Marchisio, Thiago Motta and Giorgio Chiellini are present in the squad, but there is no place for AC Milan's Stephan El Shaarawy, who only returned to action last week after months on the sidelines through injury.

Squad in full:

Goalkeepers: Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus), Mattia Perin (Genoa), Salvatore Sirigu (Paris Saint-Germain), Antonio Mirante (Parma)

Defenders: Ignazio Abate (AC Milan), Andrea Barzagli (Juventus), Leonardo Bonucci (Juventus), Giorgio Chiellini (Juventus), Matteo Darmian (Torino), Mattia De Sciglio (AC Milan), Christian Maggio (Napoli), Gabriel Paletta (Parma), Manuel Pasqual (Fiorentina), Andrea Ranocchia (Inter)

Midfielders: Alberto Aquilani (Fiorentina), Antonio Candreva (Lazio), Daniele De Rossi (Roma), Claudio Marchisio (Juventus), Riccardo Montolivo (AC Milan), Thiago Motta (Paris Saint-Germain), Marco Parolo (Parma), Andrea Pirlo (Juventus), Romulo (Verona), Marco Verratti (Paris Saint-Germain)

Forwards: Mario Balotelli (AC Milan), Antonio Cassano (Parma), Alessio Cerci (Torino), Mattia Destro (Roma), Ciro Immobile (Torino), Lorenzo Insigne (Napoli), Giuseppe Rossi (Fiorentina).

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ronaldo leads Portugal World Cup squad

402483_heroa.jpg

By Enis Koylu
May 13, 2014 6:55:00 PM

The Seleccao have name a 30-man provisional panel but will name their final party for the World Cup next week

Portugal have named their squad for the 2014 World Cup, with Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo leading the 30-man provisional party.

The Seleccao have been drawn into a daunting group alongside Germany, the USA and Ghana and kick off their campaign against Joachim Low's side against June 16.

Coach Paulo Bento has named his provisional panel, which will be whittled down to a final squad of 23 on May 19.

Ronaldo is the headline name and features alongside Madrid team-mates Pepe and Fabio Coentrao.

Meanwhile, Porto's Ricardo Quaresma has been included after returning to his old club earlier this season.

Goalkeepers: Anthony Lopes (Lyon), Beto (Sevilla), Eduardo (Braga), Rui Patricio (Sporting Lisbon)

Defenders: Andre Almeida (Benfica), Antunes (Malaga), Bruno Alves (Fenerbahce), Fabio Coentrao (Real Madrid), Joao Pereira (Valencia), Neto (Zenit St Petersburg), Pepe (Real Madrid), Ricardo Costa (Valencia), Rolando (Inter)

Midfielders: Andre Gomes (Benfica), Joao Mario (Vitoria), Joao Moutinho (Monaco), Miguel Veloso (Dynamo Kiev), Raul Meireles (Fenerbahce), Ruben Amorim (Benfica), William Carvalho (Sporting Lisbon)

Attackers: Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid), Eder (Braga), Helder Postiga (Lazio), Hugo Almeida (Besiktas), Ivan Cavaleiro (Benfica), Nani (Manchester United), Rafa (Braga), Quaresma (Porto), Varela (Porto), Vieirinha (Wolfsburg).

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Chile provisional World Cup squad announced

401353_heroa.jpg

By Peter McVitie
May 13, 2014 4:08:00 PM

There are no major surprises in the South American country's selection with Arturo Vidal, Alexis Sanchez, Eduardo Vargas and Mauricio Isla all included

Chile coach Jorge Sampaoli has named his 30-man provisional squad for next month's World Cup.

There are no major surprises in the list of players included, with Arturo Vidal, Alexis Sanchez, Eduardo Vargas, Mauricio Isla and Gary Medel are included as expected. While Humberto Suazo does not feature on the list.

Claudio Bravo remains Sampaoli's first choice goalkeeper with Herrera second in line, it's up to Paulo Garces and Cristofer Toselli to fight it out for the third choice spot.

The squad consists of four goalkeepers, seven defenders, 13 midfielders and six forwards.

Full squad:

Goalkeepers: Claudio Bravo, Johnny Herrera, Paulo Garces, Cristopher Toselli

Defenders: Enzo Andia, Marcos Gonzalez, Jose Rojas, Gary Medel, Miiko Albornoz, Eugenio Mena, Jose Pedro Fuenzalida

Midfielders: Pablo Hernandez, Felipe Gutierrez, Rodrigo Millar, Francisco Silva, Carlos Carmona, Charles Aranguiz, Arturo Vidal, Gonzalo Jara, Matias Fernandez, Jorge Valdivia, Marcelo Diaz, Jean Beausejour, Mauricio Isla

Forwards: Esteban Paredes, Gustavo Canales, Alexis Sanchez, Mauricio Pinilla, Fabian Orellana, Eduardo Vargas

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Cote d'Ivoire unveil World Cup provisional squad

248814_heroa.jpg

By Kingsley Kobo
May 13, 2014 2:50:00 PM

The Elephants' coach has named an initial 28-man list for the World Cup, with an additional space for two more players due to injury fears

Cote d'Ivoire coach Sabri Lamouchi has published his 28 man provisional squad for the World Cup, but said he could bring in two more players before drawing the final list of 23.

Most of the Elephants’ veterans feature on the list, to be led by captain Didier Drogba, whose team-mate at Galatasaray Emmanuel Eboue and Tiene Siaka of French side Montpellier were not included due to technical reasons, according to the coach.

Gervinho, Salomon Kalou, Cheick Tiote and both Yaya and Kolo Toure are included in the squad.

The team will hold preparations in the USA from May 20 until June 6, during which they will play two friendly matches against Bosnia on May 30 and Salvador on June 4 in Dallas before flying to Brazil.

The French coach expressed his fears about the form of the team’s most influential player, Yaya Toure, as well as Drogba, following injury concerns, but assured he would let both men have enough rest before the tournament kicks off.

In Group C alongside Colombia and Greece, Cote d'Ivoire will open their campaign against Japan, the fourth member of the group, which Lamouchi said would be their most difficult game as opposed to Colombia, considered top favourites of the lot.

The coach called on all Ivorians to support the team, amid grudges that he lacks the required experience to lead such a star studded team to a World Cup tournament.

Cote d’Ivoire sports minister Alain Lobognon last week invited the local media and fans to let the coach in peace in order for him to focus on the task ahead.

Cote D'Ivoire Squad:

Goalkeepers: Barry Boubacar, Sylvain Gbohouo, Sayouba Mande, Badra Ali Sangare

Defenders: Akpa Akpro, Serge Aurier, Arthur Boka, Viera Diarrassouba, Brice Dja Djedje, Kolo Toure, Didier Zokora, Sol Bamba, Benjamin Angoua

Midfielders: Serey Die, Ismael Diomande, Cheick Tiote, Yaya Toure, Didier Ya Konan, Constant Djakpa, Max-Alain Gradel

Forwards: Mathis Bolly, Wilfried Bony, Didier Drogba, Seydou Doumbia, Salomon Kalou, Giovanni Sio, Gervinho, Lacina Traore

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Januzaj makes Belgium provisional World Cup squad

397383_heroa.jpg

By Peter McVitie
May 13, 2014 1:52:00 PM

Radja Nainggolan is not included in the provisional squad while the Manchester United teenager and Divock Origi are the only surprise inclusions

Belgium coach Marc Wilmots has announced his provisional squad for next month's World Cup, including Manchester United youngster Adnan Januzaj in the list of players.

The Red Devils have been drawn in Group H of the showpiece in Brazil, alongside Russia, Algeria and South Korea, kicking the tournament off against Algeria on June 17.

And Wilmots has announced a squad of 24 plus a list of six players on a standby list, who will slot in should there be any injuries to those in the original squad.

The coach has named teenager Januzaj in his squad, which will be cut by one player before the tournament begins.

Alongside the 19-year-old are usual suspects Thibaut Courtois, Jan Vertonghen, Vincent Kompany Dries Mertens, Eden Hazard, Marouane Feillaini and Romelu Lukaku. Axel Witsel is also called up.

The only other surprise inclusion is Lille's 19-year-old forward Divock Origi, who has scored five times in 29 Ligue 1 games this season.

Koen Casteels remains a doubt for the tournament as he is struggling with injury. If he isn't fit for the tournament, Silvio Proto will take his position.

Roma midfielder Radja Nainggolan is not included in the team, but is named on the standby list of players alongside the likes of Thorgan Hazard, Guillaume Gillet and Standard Liege youngster Michy Batshuayi.

Full squad:

Goalkeepers: Thibaut Courtois, Simon Mignolet, Koen Casteels, Silvio Proto

Defenders: Toby Alderweireld, Laurent Ciman, Anthony Vanden Borre, Vincent Kompany, Daniel Van Buyten, Jan Vertonghen, Thomas Vermaelen, Nicolas Lombaerts

Midfielders: Axel Witsel, Steven Defour, Marouane Fellaini, Mousa Dembele, Nacer Chadli, Kevin De Bruyne

Forwards: Eden Hazard, Romelu Lukaku, Divock Origi, Dries Mertens, Kevin Mirallas, Adnan Januzaj

Standby list: Sebastien Pocognoli, Jelle Van Damme, Thorgan Hazard, Radja Nainggolan, Michy Batshuayi, Guillaume Gillet

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Shaqiri named in young Switzerland squad

382348_heroa.jpg

By Harry West
May 13, 2014 1:24:00 PM

The Bayern attacker has been struggling for fitness lately but has been included in the nation's World Cup selection alongside he likes of Stephan Lictsteiner and Gokhan Inler

Ottmar Hitzfeld has named a young Switzerland squad to travel to Brazil for the World Cup next month, with Bayern Munich attacker Xherdan Shaqiri among the star names.

There are no players currently over 30 years of age in a youthful party to travel to the finals, with Swiss fans hoping the likes of Shaqiri and Josip Drmic can fire them into the knockout stages.

Hitzfeld's men were placed in the draw as one of the top seeds due to their ranking at the time, and have been drawn in Group E, against France, Honduras and Ecuador.

Bayern's Shaqiri is the star name in the squad, and is fit after recovering from a thigh injury suffered in a Bundesliga match against Augsburg in April 5.

Likewise goalkeeper Diego Bengaglio and defenders Philippe Senderos and Fabian Schar have all overcome knocks and feature in the squad which shows few surprises.

Bayer Leverkusen's Eren Derdiyok misses out on being included in the 23 after starting just four Bundesliga games for Bayer Leverkusen this season.

The striker is included on the standby list, as is Fulham's Pajtim Kasami, who Hitzfeld explained had not been playing regularly enough for his club side.

Goalkeepers: Diego Benaglio (Wolfsburg), Roman Burki (Grasshoppers), Yann Sommer (Basel)

Defenders: Johan Djourou (Hamburg), Michael Lang (Grasshoppers), Stephan Lichtsteiner (Juventus), Ricardo Rodriguez (Wolfsburg), Fabian Schar (Basel), Philippe Senderos (Valencia), Steve von Bergen (Young Boys), Reto Ziegler (Sassuolo)

Midfielders: Tranquillo Barnetta (Eintracht Frankfurt), Valon Behrami (Napoli), Blerim Dzemaili (Napoli), Gelson Fernandes (Freiburg), Gokhan Inler (Napoli), Xherdan Shaqiri (Bayern Munich), Valentin Stocker (Basel), Granit Xhaka (Borussia Monchengladbach)

Forwards: Josip Drmic (Nuremberg), Mario Gavranovic (Zurich), Admir Mehmedi (Freiburg), Haris Seferovic (Real Sociedad)

On standby: Eren Derdiyok (Bayer Leverkusen), Fabian Frei (Basel), Marwin Hitz (Augsburg), Pajtim Kasami (Fulham), Timm Klose (Wolfsburg), Pirmin Schwegler (Eintracht Frankfurt), Silvan Widmar (Udinese)

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Isco left out of provisional Spain World Cup squad

400879_heroa.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
May 13, 2014 12:18:29 PM

The Real Madrid youngster will not feature at this summer's World Cup, while his team-mate Alvaro Arbeloa also misses out

Spain coach Vicente del Bosque has announced his 30-man provisional squad for this summer's World Cup in Brazil, with Real Madrid's Alvaro Arbeloa and Isco as two of the most notable absentees.

Isco has struggled to find his best form in the second half of the season after initially impressing at Madrid, which has now cost him his place in Del Bosque's roster, while Arbeloa has lost his spot to Dani Carvajal.

Meanwhile, Iker Casillas has made the cut regardless of his limited amount of playing time at Madrid this season, while Thiago Alcantara and Fernando Llorente have both made it, too.

Other surprising callups include Alberto Moreno, Ander Iturraspe and Koke.

Del Bosque will announce his final squad on May 25.

Spain meet Netherlands, Chile and Australia in Group B at the World Cup.

SQUAD IN FULL:

Goalkeepers: Iker Casillas (Real Madrid), Pepe Reina (Napoli), David de Gea (Manchester United)

Defenders: Dani Carvajal, Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid), Juanfran (Atletico Madrid), Raul Albiol (Napoli), Javi Martinez (Bayern Munich), Alberto Moreno (Sevilla), Jordi Alba, Gerard Pique (Barcelona), Cesar Azpilicueta (Chelsea)

Midfielders: Andres Iniesta, Cesc Fabregas, Sergio Busquets, Xavi (Barcelona), Santi Cazorla (Arsenal), Juan Mata (Manchester United), David Silva (Manchester City), Thiago Alcantara (Bayern Munich), Ander Iturraspe (Athletic Bilbao), Koke (Atletico Madrid), Xabi Alonso (Real Madrid)

Attackers: Diego Costa, David Villa (Atletico Madrid), Alvaro Negredo, Jesus Navas (Manchester City), Fernando Torres (Chelsea), Fernando Llorente (Juventus), Pedro (Barcelona)

Jar Jar Binks

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Falcao named in Colombia World Cup squad

385552_heroa.jpg

By Matthew Rogerson
May 13, 2014 11:16:00 PM

The striker has been included despite a serious knee injury this season, with James Rodriguez, Juan Cuadrado and Fredy Guarin joining him in the provisional set-up

Jose Pekerman has named Radamel Falcao in his provisional Colombia squad for the upcoming World Cup in Brazil.

The Monaco star has been a doubt for the tournament since suffering cruciate knee ligament damage during a Coupe de France tie in January.

However, the former Atletico Madrid man said last month he was "satisfied" with his recovery and Pekerman has opted to name the talismanic striker in his initial 29-man squad.

Falcao scored nine goals in 13 appearances during qualifying and forms part of an impressive line-up that also includes Jackson Martinez and Borussia Dortmund-bound Adrian Ramos.

There is also a place for highly-rated River Plate defender Eder Alvarez Balanta, with Fiorentina winger Juan Cuadrado, Inter's Fredy Guarin and Monaco's James Rodriguez among the options in midfield.

Colombia begin their World Cup campaign against Greece in Group C on June 14.

Squad in full:

Goalkeepers: Faryd Mondragon (Deportivo Cali), David Ospina (Nice), Camilo Vargas (Independiente Santa Fe)

Defenders: Santiago Arias (PSV), Pablo Armero (Napoli), Eder Alvarez Balanta (River Plate), Aquivaldo Mosquera (America), Luis Perea (Cruz Azul), Carlos Valdes (San Lorenzo), Mario Yepes (Atalanta), Cristian Zapata (Milan), Camilo Zuniga (Napoli)

Midfielders: Abel Aguilar (Toulouse), Juan Cuadrado (Fiorentina), Fredy Guarin (Inter), Victor Ibarbo (Cagliari), Alex Mejia (Atletico Nacional), Juan Fernando Quintero (Porto), Aldo Ramirez (Morelia), James Rodriguez (Monaco), Carlos Sanchez Moreno (Elche), Elkin Soto (Mainz), Macnelly Torres (Al Shabab), Edwin Valencia (Fluminense)

Forwards: Carlos Bacca (Sevilla), Radamel Falcao (Monaco), Teofilo Gutierrez (River), Jackson Martinez (Porto), Luis Muriel (Udinese), Adrian Ramos (Hertha Berlin)

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Tevez left out of Argentina provisional World Cup squad

404372_heroa.jpg

By Joe Wright
May 13, 2014 10:32:00 PM

As expected, the striker will not be joining Lionel Messi and Co. in Brazil this summer, with Jose Sosa and Franco Di Santo two of the more surprising call-ups

Carlos Tevez has been left out of Alejandro Sabella's provisional Argentina World Cup squad.

The Juventus striker had widely been expected to be missing from the party to Brazil, with his impressive form in Italy this season not enough to convince Sabella to bring him back from international exile.

Franco Di Santo and Rodrigo Palacio are both included alongside captain Lionel Messi in the forward positions, while Atletico Madrid loanee Jose Sosa earns a more surprising call-up.

Squad in full:

Goalkeepers: Sergio Romero (Monaco*), Mariano Andujar (Catania*), Agustin Orionu (Boca)

Defenders: Ezequiel Garay (Benfica), Federico Fernandez (Napoli), Pablo Zabaleta (Manchester City), Marcos Rojo (Sporting), Jose Maria Basanta (Monterrey), Hugo Campagaro (Inter), Nicolas Otamendi (Atletico Mineiro*), Martin Demichelis (Manchester City), Gabriel Mercado (River), Lisandro Lopez (Getafe*)

Midfielders: Fernando Gago (Boca*), Lucas Biglia (Lazio), Javier Mascherano (Barcelona), Ever Banega (Newell's*), Angel Di Maria (Real Madrid), Maximiliano Rodriguez (Newell's), Ricardo Alvarez (Inter), Augusto Fernandez (Celta), Enzo Perez (Benfica), Jose Sosa (Atletico Madrid*), Fabian Rinaudo (Catania)

Forwards: Sergio Aguero (Manchester City), Lionel Messi (Barcelona), Gonzalo Higuain (Napoli), Ezequiel Lavezzi (Paris Saint-Germain), Rodrigo Palacio (Inter), Franco Di Santo (Werder Bremen)

(*Denotes on loan to club)

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Lucas Moura named on Brazil's seven-man World Cup standby list

285386_heroa.jpg

By Chris Myson
May 13, 2014 10:11:00 PM

Luiz Felipe Scolari's 23-man squad has already been named but his back-up selection includes Rafinha, Lucas Leiva and Atletico Madrid duo Miranda and Filipe Luis

Brazil have named their list of seven players who will be on standby for this summer's home World Cup, with Lucas Moura the star among the back-up options.

Coach Luiz Felipe Scolari has already named his preferred 23-man selection for the tournament, but has now confirmed the list of those who will be held in reserve should any late changes to the squad be required.

Atletico Madrid defenders Filipe Luis and Miranda are in the seven-man list of back-ups, as is Bayern Munich right-back Rafinha.

Liverpool midfielder Lucas Leiva, Paris Saint-Germain winger Lucas Moura and Sao Paulo striker Alan Kardec have also been asked to be ready if called upon.

Fluminense goalkeeper Diego Cavalieri rounds off the list and will step in for the tournament if there are any issues with the current three shot stoppers Julio Cesar, Jefferson and Victor.

The announcement means some of the notable absentees from the original squad, including Kaka, Robinho, Ronaldinho and Philippe Coutinho have not even made Scolari’s top 30 for this summer.

Brazil have warm-up matches against Panama and Serbia before they begin their World Cup campaign against Croatia on June 12.

Brazil standby list: Lucas Leiva (Liverpool), Alan Kardec (Sao Paulo), Lucas Moura (PSG), Rafinha (Bayern Munchen), Filipe Luis (Atletico Madrid), Miranda (Atletico Madrid), Diego Cavalieri (Fluminense).