• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆☆☆ FIFA World Cup 2014 ☆☆☆

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

World Cup 2014: Luiz Felipe Scolari's Brazil in shape to top Group A

A lucky draw and few injuries give the Seleção a great chance of going all the way – now they need to ramp up the atmosphere

Zico
The Guardian, Wednesday 14 May 2014 12.50 BST

Luiz-Felipe-Scolari-011.jpg

Big Phil and Brazil drew Croatia, Mexico and Cameroon in Group A. Photograph: Vanderlei Almeida/AFP/Getty Images

From August 2013 to February this year I lived in Qatar where I coached the local side Al-Gharafa. Since my return to Brazil one thing has stood out: while previously World Cup fever would be there for all to see, the atmosphere now is much more subdued. I haven't seen the bunting and painted streets that you might expect to be part of preparations here. To me, it looks like the protests might have put some fans on the back foot, but with a month to go before the tournament starts I wish I could see a bit more joy among the people.

I don't blame them. Our preparations have not been the best and people are right to complain about spiralling costs and delayed works. The public purse is funding the World Cup and people are entitled to feel aggrieved. Having said that, I don't really think anybody is against the World Cup per se, but the problems in preparation have soured the mood. Brazil undeniably needed to revamp the stadiums and, simply for all our history in football, we deserve to host the World Cup. In 1950, when we first did, Brazil was a wholly different country and certainly not as representative as it is these days.

That has nothing do with the team, though. The Seleção has managed to enthuse fans over the last year. While their Confederations Cup title needs to be seen in context, Luiz Felipe Scolari has certainly managed to steady the ship. It is important to give credit to his predecessor, Mano Menezes, who took over in July 2010 and promoted several new players, including Neymar. The core of Scolari's team – Thiago Silva, David Luiz, Oscar, Daniel Alves and Paulinho – was already playing under Menezes.

I had the chance to see that team in action in October 2012, when I was in charge of Iraq. It was a weird situation because we were about to play Australia in the Asian qualifier for the World Cup and I asked the Iraqi football federation to find me an opponent with similar style. I suggested Wales. Instead, they brought me Brazil, by no means what I wanted and even less so after they hammered my team 6-0.

Scolari did some sifting and fine-tuning with the team and imprinted his philosophy. Brazil are organised and compact but they also go for the opposition's jugular. The fans enjoyed it, especially after the Seleção beat Spain in Rio and I think Big Phil is doing well with the players he's got at hand. As for his choice of squad, announced last week, all I can say is that everybody can make a list and disagree with one or another name. But this team has every chance of winning the tournament.

Whether they will is another story. I think the Seleção had a lucky group-stage draw. Both Croatia and Mexico arrived via the playoffs and Cameroon are not as threatening as in previous years. Croatia will play Brazil without Mario Mandzukic, for example, while Mexico were almost edged out by Panama in qualifying. So I think Brazil are in shape to top the group convincingly, which will give the players confidence ahead of the knockout stages.

One thing that does worry me is that the majority of this group haven't experienced a World Cup. While it's nothing new for the Seleção to enter a World Cup with high expectations, this time things are different because Brazil are at the home and the last time that was the case, in 1950, they came up short. Which is why I hope they won't face Uruguay, perhaps the only team Brazil have seriously struggled against in recent times. In the Confederations Cup semi-final they did not allow Brazil to impose their rhythm and put the Seleção under a lot of pressure. I said before that tournament that Uruguay could psychologically rattle Brazil and so they did.

Then there is the fact that Brazil lost the World Cup to Uruguay in 1950. If they were to play each other again people would bring up what happened 64 years ago. That cannot be helpful to anybody. So I will be honest with you: as much as I think Uruguay have some great players to watch, I hope they don't go far in the World Cup, perhaps not even past the group stages.

Having said that, Brazil cannot handpick opponents if they want to win this tournament. What I have seen from these players is that they are aware of the importance of this competition for the Brazilian people. With the crowd on their side Brazil can be daunting.

It is probably an advantage that most of the European teams with Seleção players didn't do well in the Champions League. The players should turn up for national duty in a better shape. At this point, an injury could be a problem for any team, but so far Brazil have been spared.

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Dejagah leads Iran's provisional World Cup squad

342273_heroa.jpg

By Luke Sheehan
May 15, 2014 12:48:00 PM

Carlos Quieroz has called up 28 players for the pre-tournament training camp, including captain Javad Nekounam and promising Rubin Kazan attacker Sardar Azmoun

Iran coach Carlos Queiroz has named a 28-man squad for their World Cup training camp in Austria.

Iran will take on Belarus and Montenegro in friendlies in the camp after more than two months without a competitive international.

The majority of the players are based in Iran, with 10 coming from international leagues - including goalkeeper Daniel Davari (Eintracht Braunschweig) and midfielder Ashkan Dejagah (Fulham).

Other internationally based players named include captain and midfielder Javad Nekounam (Al-Kuwait), Masoud Shojaei (Las Palmas), Alireza Jahanbakhsh (NEC), Reza Ghoochannejhad (Charlton Athletic), Sardar Azmoun (Rubin Kazan), Alireza Haghighi (Sporting Covilha), Steven Beitashour (Vancouver Whitecaps) and Pejman Montazeri (Umm Salal).

Azmoun is rumoured to be a transfer target of Premier League giants Arsenal, with the teenager impressing in the Russian Premier League this campaign with three goals from 13 appearances.

Iran take on Argentina, Nigeria and Bosnia-Herzegovina in Group F this summer.

SQUAD IN FULL:

Goalkeepers: Daniel Davari (Eintracht Braunschweig), Alireza Haghighi (Sporting Covilha), Rahman Ahmadi (Sepahan Esfahan), Sosha Makani (Foolad Khuzestan)

Defenders: Khosro Heydari (Esteghlal Tehran), Hossein Mahini (Persepolis Tehran), Steven Beitashour (Vancouver Whitecaps), Pejman Montazeri (Umm Salal), Jalal Hosseini (Persepolis Tehran), Amir-Hossein Sadeghi (Esteghlal Tehran), Mohammad-Reza Khanzadeh (Zob Ahan Esfahan), Ahmad Alenemeh (Naft Tehran), Hashem Beikzadeh (Esteghlal Tehran), Ehsan Hajsafi (Sepahan Esfahan), Mehrdad Pooladi (Persepolis Tehran)

Midfielders: Javad Nekounam (Kuwait SC), Andranik Teymourian (Esteghlal Tehran), Reza Haghighi (Persepolis Tehran), Ghasem Hadadifar (Zob Ahan Esfahan), Bakhtiar Rahmani (Foolad Khuzestan), Ashkan Dejagah (Fulham FC), Masoud Shojaei (UD Las Palmas), Alireza Jahanbakhsh (NEC Nijmegen), Mohammad-Reza Khalatbari (Persepolis Tehran)

Forwards: Mehdi Sharifi (Sepahan Esfahan), Reza Ghoochannejhad (Charlton Athletic), Karim Ansarifard (Tractor Sazi Tabriz), Sardar Azmoun (Rubin Kazan)

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Thiago ruled out of World Cup due to knee injury

405215_heroa.jpg

May 15, 2014 10:23:00 AM

Bayern Munich have confirmed that the Spain international will undergo surgery and will consequently miss this summer's tournament as well as the DFB Pokal final

Spain coach Vicente del Bosque will have to make do without the services of Thiago Alcantara at this summer's World Cup as the Bayern Munich midfielder has suffered a knee injury.

The 23-year-old recently resumed regular training action after a brief spell on the sidelines due to another knee problem and was expected to make his comeback in this weekend's DFB Pokal final against Borussia Dortmund.

However, reports emerged on Wednesday that Thiago had suffered another setback and Bayern have now confirmed that the former Barcelona man has ruptured a ligament, ruling him out of the finals in Brazil.

"This is a bitter blow for Thiago and we feel really sorry for him," Bayern CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge stated.

"He's a young guy who has been working hard to be fit for the World Cup in the country where he was born and now all of a sudden that dream is over.

"We will look after him in the next few weeks and do everything within our power to make sure he is ready for the start of the new season."

Thiago was set to make his first appearance at a major tournament at this summer's World Cup after he was included in the 30-man provisional squad that Del Bosque announced earlier this week.

He was ruled out of both Euro 2012 and the 2012 Olympics due to injury, though he did play a starring role in the European Under-21 championship last year, where he scored a hat-trick in the final win over Italy.

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Shaw stunned by England call-up for World Cup

404022_heroa.jpg

By Luke Sheehan
May 15, 2014 11:48:00 AM

The 18-year-old has the chance to add to his sole cap for The Three Lions after he and Leighton Baines were selected as the country's left-backs for the summer tournament

Southampton star Luke Shaw says he was is still in disbelief after being named in England's squad for the World Cup.

The 18-year-old left-back has just one cap for England so far, and said he knew of Roy Hodgson's snub to Ashley Cole - which was revealed on Sunday - but insists he believed he would only be on the standby list until he saw the announcement of the 23 the following day.

"I seriously can't believe it still," Shaw told reporters.

"When I found out Ashley Cole wasn't going I had that thought it could be me going but I didn't want to over-think saying 'I am definitely going' because I didn't receive anything that night.

"I thought everyone was getting a phone call on Sunday night and I was speaking with Ads [Adam Lallana] and Lambo [Rickie Lambert] asking if they had got one and once it went past 10pm, none of us had had the call so we thought we were among the seven not going.

"When the squad came out the next afternoon me and my family sat there thinking 'I'm 18 and I'm going to a World Cup'."

Shaw said his hopes were raised throughout the season, with Hodgson present at several Southampton games, but he never took a World Cup spot for granted - and still hasn't yet.

"I am still shocked that I am actually going. You always had that thought in your head that you might be picked because Roy was watching a lot of our games, not just for me of course," he said.

"But I wasn't expecting it. I thought I might be in the 30-man squad so to represent my country at a World Cup when I am only 18 is the best feeling in the world and I want more of it.

"Time flies. A year ago I made my Under-21 debut and now I'm going to a World Cup. Things can happen so fast. I am going to pray I don't get injured so I can be on that plane to Brazil."

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

African teams can make World Cup impact, says Eto'o

Thu May 15, 2014 6:17pm BST

r

Chelsea's Samuel Eto'o reacts after missing a chance to score against Sunderland during their English Premier League soccer match at Stamford Bridge in London, April 19, 2014 file photo. REUTERS/Toby Melville

(Reuters) - African nations have the ability to be a competitive force at next month's World Cup in Brazil despite not getting the respect they deserve, Cameroon striker Samuel Eto'o said on Thursday.

African teams have often struggled at World Cups, with Cameroon becoming the first side from the continent to reach the quarter-finals in 1990.

Senegal and Ghana have since matched that feat and Eto'o believes the improving quality of players like Ivory Coast midfielder Yaya Toure means the five African nations can make a major impact in Brazil.

"People think Africa are just there for the show," Eto'o, who is in line to play in his fourth World Cup finals, told

africanfootball.com.

"It is because football leaders don't respect us that our opponents don't respect us.

"Africa must fight to get as far as possible and why not win the World Cup.

"Look at the main European clubs where a lot of Africans are shining. Take Manchester City as an example, and look at the goals scored by Yaya Toure. If it was (Lionel) Messi, we will be talking about it for three years."

Cameroon have been handed a difficult World Cup draw and will play Croatia, Mexico and hosts Brazil in Group A.

But Eto'o, who has made 116 appearances for Cameroon and scored 55 goals, is relishing the prospect of meeting Luiz Felipe Scolari's much-fancied Brazil side.

"I have never been afraid," he added. "If you are scared, don't become a football player.

"It is going to be difficult, for sure, but in football everything is possible. We will have our chances, and we need to take them."

The 33-year-old Eto'o looks to be on the hunt for a new club after his contract at Chelsea expired, but the former Barcelona

striker has not lost his hunger for the game and is adamant he will be good enough to play at the next two World Cups.

"Some believe I am going to retire in the United States or in the Middle East," added Eto'o, who scored 12 goals for Chelsea this season.

"I am going to go to this World Cup and to the next one when I will be 37. Some did it at 42, so I can still play in two more World Cups."

Cameroon, Ghana, Nigeria, Algeria and Ivory Coast are the five African teams who have qualified for this year's World Cup.

(Reporting by Michael Hann, editing by Ed Osmond)

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Brazilians protest World Cup spending, call for better services

SAO PAULO Thu May 15, 2014 3:50pm BST

r

Children play soccer on a street decorated with graffiti in reference to the 2014 World Cup in Sao Paulo May 14, 2014 file photo. REUTERS/Nacho Doce

(Reuters) - Cities across Brazil braced for demonstrations on Thursday, as disparate protest movements seek to criticize spending on the upcoming World Cup soccer tournament and revive a call for better public services that swept the country last June.

Less than a month before the tournament kicks off, and four months before a presidential election, Thursday's protests will gauge the ability of demonstrators to once again rally frustrated Brazilians and the competence of police to manage unrest that occasionally escalated over the past year into violence and vandalism.

Though most demonstrations are expected to gain steam later in the day, protestors in São Paulo, the country's biggest city, by early morning had blocked a major thoroughfare with burning tires and disrupted commutes elsewhere.

Some groups, including the Homeless Workers Movement, marched towards a World Cup stadium, site of the tournament's kickoff, that has become a target because of families displaced by its construction.

One banner carried by demonstrators read: "The cup without the people, all to the streets again!"

Protests are planned in up to 50 cities throughout the day, as demonstrators hope to rekindle momentum that led to millions of people hitting the streets last year during the Confederations Cup, a two-week World Cup warmup.

Last year's demonstrations prompted President Dilma Rousseff, who faces a bid for re-election in October, to address the nation and acknowledge deficiencies in public services and investment in everything form education and health care to transportation and security.

After a near-decade of steady growth before she took office, Brazil is now struggling with a sluggish economy, persistent inflation, rising crime rates and lackluster investment.

Thursday's protests come in a week which has already seen widespread strikes from dissatisfied labour unions across Brazil, from bus drivers in Rio de Janeiro to military police in the northeastern city of Recife.

(Reporting by Stephen Eisenhammer in Rio de Janeiro and Pedro Fonseca and Nacho Doce in São Paulo. Editing by Paulo Prada and W Simon)

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

CBF announce Selecao pre-World Cup schedule

391708_heroa.jpg

May 15, 2014 5:34:00 PM

Luiz Felipe Scolari's Brazil will meet on May 26 in Rio de Janeiro before facing Panama and Serbia ahead of their opener against Croatia on June 12

The Confederação Brasileira de Futebol (CBF) have confirmed Brazil's schedule ahead of the World Cup.

The squad group will convene on May 26 at 10 am at Tom Jobim International Airport in Rio de Janeiro, where the delegation will travel to the Selecao’s brand new training center, the Granja Comary in Teresopolis.

The first two days will be devoted entirely to medical examinations. The players will have their first training session on May 28.

June 1 will see the delegation board on a charter flight from the Tom Jobim Airport to Goiania, where the team will train at Serra Dourada ahead of their friendly with Panama on June 3.

The squad will then return to Rio de Janeiro before travelling to Sao Paulo on June 5 ahead of the match with Serbia at the Morumbi on June 6.

Brazil open their World Cup campaign against Croatia on June 12.

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Argentina squad offers few surprises for Aguero

By Patrick Johnston
SINGAPORE Fri May 16, 2014 12:41pm BST

r

Manchester City's Martin Demichelis walks off after being shown the red card during their Champions League round of 16 first leg soccer match against Barcelona at the Etihad Stadium in Manchester, northern England February 18, 2014 file photo. REUTERS/Darren Staples

(Reuters) - Defender Martin Demichelis fully deserves his recall to the Argentina squad while Carlos Tevez was never going to make it after failing to patch up his differences with coach Alejandro Sabella, forward Sergio Aguero told Reuters in an interview.

Despite some sparkling form for Italian champions Juventus, Tevez has never been part of Sabella's plans and was again overlooked when the coach named his provisional 30-man squad for the June 12-July 13 tournament in Brazil on Tuesday.

Manchester City striker Aguero, who is expected to line up alongside Lionel Messi and Gonzalo Higuain in a formidable front line for Argentina, believed a recall was never going to happen.

"This has been discussed for three years now since the manager was hired for the team and since then we know there was no relationship between them both," the 25-year-old Aguero said in Singapore on Friday.

"He didn't call him before so it wasn't such a surprise that he wasn't called this time as well. It would be a very good question for the manager himself to comment," he added, trying to avoid the talking point.

Instead, the pony-tailed Demichelis, so frequently mocked by rival English Premier League supporters following some early mistakes upon his arrival at Manchester City at the start of the season, was the surprise inclusion.

The former River Plate and Bayern Munich defender last played for Argentina in a 1-1 home draw against Bolivia in a qualifier in November 2011 but has shown strong form in recent weeks as City went on to win the Premier League title on Sunday.

While Aguero is a certain starter for the Group F matches against Bosnia, Iran and Nigeria, the 33-year-old Demichelis will be hoping just to make the slimmed down 23-man travelling party, although he had support for his cause.

"It was no surprise that he was called for playing in this World Cup, I think he has earned his position," Aguero said of his team mate.

"He had been criticised, in particular because of the play against Lionel Messi in the (Champions League) match against Barcelona but it is understandable, he wasn't so confident then after starting to play in the English league.

"In the last three or four months, he has been playing very well and adapted and I think that is why he was called up and earned his place in the team."

SHOCK LOSS

Tevez, Aguero and Demichelis all played in the last World Cup when Argentina crashed out in the quarter-finals after a 4-0 mauling by Germany ended their bid to add to their 1978 and 1986 successes.

Aguero expected Germany to once again prove strong challengers along with holders Spain, hosts Brazil, Italy and Belgium, captained by another City team mate, Vincent Kompany.

He scoffed at the suggestion they had been dealt an easy group, was pleased to avoid the favourites and acknowledged the need to avoid complacency when asked if Argentina's shock loss to Cameroon at the 1990 World Cup was still discussed.

"Of course we are in a really good group, perhaps not with one of the difficult opponents, but no game is easy and its very important to keep doing our own good game and keep qualifying for the next round," the former Atletico Madrid striker said.

"Every country can win, Cameroon or Bosnia with us in the group. For Argentina, every match is very important so each game is as if we are in the finals already and we want to just go for it."

Many have tipped Argentina to make it to the final and face old rivals Brazil in the showpiece decider for the first time.

Aguero, who scored 28 goals in all competitions for City this term despite a couple of muscle injuries, said there was little added incentive in playing the tournament in Brazil for the players but acknowledged the importance for the fans.

"Considering the rivalry... the Argentinean fans will be much more excited and it will be extra points for them to be able to say 'yeah, we won in their field' but from the footballers perspective it will be basically the same," he said.

"As long as we are able to win the World Cup, winning it anywhere, in Brazil, in Singapore, wherever, it would be the best thing ever."

(Editing by John O'Brien)

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

African conflicts lead to venue changes for key matches

By Mark Gleeson
JOHANNESBURG Fri May 16, 2014 12:57pm BST

1127743-17782425-640-360.jpg

(Reuters) - Conflicts across the continent have forced an unprecedented number of competitive ties in two of Africa's leading soccer competitions to be played at neutral venues this month.

Matches scheduled for the conflict-riven Central African Republic, Libya and South Sudan have all been relocated to safer climes because of ongoing civil unrest in the countries.

Libya's national team have forfeit home advantage at the start of their bid to reach next year's African Nations Cup finals in Morocco and the country is now in serious jeopardy of losing hosting rights for the subsequent tournament.

On Sunday, they will host their Nations Cup qualifying first round, first leg match against Rwanda in neighbouring Tunisia, which they have frequently used as a venue since 2011 when the civil war that overthrew leader Muammar Gaddafi started.

Libya is due to host the 2017 Nations Cup finals but that could also be relocated as the Confederation of African Football (CAF) has determined it unsafe for teams to play there amid general lawlessness and sectarian violence.

Sunday's tie will be played at the Rades Stadium in Tunis instead.

Libyan club Al Ahli Benghazi, who have qualified for the group phase of the African Champions League for the first time, have opted to play their home matches in Sudan capital Khartoum.

Al Ahli Benghazi are away this weekend at the start of the league competition and play their first 'home' fixture against Esperance of Tunisia on May 24.

Khartoum will also be used by South Sudan, who broke away from Sudan in 2011 to become the world's newest independent nation but are now embroiled in a violent civil war.

South Sudan play their first competitive match when they meet Mozambique in the first leg of their Nations Cup qualifying round tie in Maputo on Sunday. The second leg is in Khartoum on May 30.

The Central African Republic, whose ongoing civil conflict forced them to move World Cup qualifiers last year, again forfeit home advantage when they host Guinea Bissau in the Nations Cup on Sunday.

Their first leg tie is being played in Brazzaville, Congo instead.

(Editing by John O'Brien)

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Cameroon coach seeks pre-World Cup lift at Austria camp

Fri May 16, 2014 12:08pm BST

r

1.FC Cologne's coach Volker Finke reacts during their German Bundesliga soccer match against Bayer Leverkusen in Cologne April 30, 2011 file photo. REUTERS/Thomas Bohlen

(Reuters) - Cameroon coach Volker Finke's priority will be working on lifting morale among his squad when they start their pre-World Cup preparations at an Austrian training camp next week after a deflating loss in their last outing.

"I have specific objectives for the camp," the German said in a lengthy interview in the Cameroon Tribune. "To work on the spirit of the team and to find a cohesive unit, where they all give to each other and the team."

Cameroon were beaten 5-1 by Portugal in a friendly in March, the defeat damaging team confidence after the excitement of securing World Cup qualification late last year.

"I support everyone, I encourage individuals but it must be to serve the collective. You can be individualistic but not egocentric," Finke said in a reference to the reported split in the camp at the 2010 World Cup, where Cameroon lost all three matches.

"We'll be together for two weeks. This is very important because we have time to work," Finke added of the camp in Kufstein, which starts on Tuesday.

The Indomitable Lions will play Macedonia and Paraguay in friendlies in Kufstein on May 26 and May 29, and then go on to meet Germany in Moenchengladbach on June 1.

Finke said he was ready to change the approach of the team depending on what he observed during the camp and three warm-up games.

Cameroon, who will be appearing at the World Cup for an African record seventh time, have been drawn in Group A against hosts Brazil, Croatia and open their campaign against Mexico in Natal on June 13.

"Against Mexico, it is clear that we want to win, so we have to master a way to be very offensive against them without allowing them the opportunity to play us on the counter attack. We must know how to control the pace of the game," he added.

(Reporting by Mark Gleeson; Editing by John O'Brien)

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

France require collective motivation, says Desailly

406013_heroa.jpg

Nicholas McGee
May 16, 2014 11:55:00 PM

The World Cup-winning centre-back says his nation only perform when they are fearful of elimination and has urged them to alter their mindset this summer

Marcel Desailly believes France need a "collective motivation" in order to perform strongly at the 2014 World Cup.

France qualified for next month's tournament in dramatic circumstances, overturning a 2-0 first-leg deficit to beat Ukraine 3-2 on aggregate in a play-off in November.

The 1998 winners were eliminated in the group stage at the last World Cup in South Africa four years ago, but appear to have a straightforward path to the knock-out rounds in Brazil.

Didier Deschamps' men have been drawn in Group E alongside Switzerland, Ecuador and Honduras and are overwhelming favourites to progress as group winners.

And Desailly, who was team-mates with Deschamps when France won the competition on home soil, feels they need to channel the spirit of the second-leg showing against Ukraine in order to be successful at the World Cup.

"I grew up with Didier Deschamps in Nantes, a long time ago in '86. He was my friend and my captain also," Desailly told Laureus .

"He goes into small details and knows exactly where he's going. He is covering everything on his tactical aspect and his physical preparation. I'm sure talent is there in the team when you take the players individually.

"The only problem is collectively. France does not perform unless they are scared of getting eliminated.

"Against Ukraine, you could see that France have finally performed. But we are not expecting to win the World Cup. We are just there, hanging, hoping that game after game we can build up a collective motivation.

"It is about confidence. You build up the confidence game after game, and from there, you never know, because we have the talent and the group is not a difficult group.

"We have South American teams and we do not know what is their level. The first game every time is very important, to build up that confidence and to allow the coach to have his first choice XI. This is important for Didier."

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

World Cup in Qatar a mistake, admits Blatter

405869_heroa.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
May 16, 2014 9:32:00 AM

The 78-year-old believes that the tournament should not have been awarded to the Gulf nation due to concerns over the climate during the summer

Fifa president Sepp Blatter has acknowledged that the decision to award the 2022 World Cup to Qatar was a mistake.

Qatar beat the likes of USA, South Korea, Japan and Australia to the right to host the tournament, a decision that has been heavily criticised ever since it was confirmed December 2010.

Several high-profile names have voiced their concerns over the high temperatures in Qatar in summer, with a potential winter tournament long earmarked as a necessity to allow the tournament to go ahead, while allegations of bribery emerged within less than a year of Fifa's decision over the 2022 hosts.

Additionally, human rights group Amnesty International has called on Fifa to intervene following a number of reports concerning the treatment of workers in the Gulf nation.

Blatter had previously been adamant that Fifa's decision to grant Qatar the hosting rights was correct, but he has now confessed this is not the case.

"Of course it was a mistake [to award the World Cup to Qatar]," Blatter told RTS.

"But we all know that mistakes are made in life.

"Technical reports from Qatar stated that the temperature in summer is too high to play football. However, this didn't prevent the executive committee from awarding the World Cup to Qatar with a large majority."

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

'How can I call him up if he doesn't answer his phone?' - Taarabt left out of Morocco squad

406055_heroa.jpg

By Enis Koylu
May 16, 2014 6:05:00 PM

The AC Milan playmaker did not pick up calls from coach Badou Ezzaki and will sit out the upcoming friendlies with Mozambique and Russia as a result

AC Milan playmaker Adel Taarabt has been left out of Morocco's squad for the friendlies against Mozambique and Russia after failing to answer coach Badou Ezzaki's calls.

The 24-year-old has long had a turbulent international career and was left out of the squad altogether for the 2012 Africa Cup of Nations.

Having captained the team in their last game against Gabon, he was expected to feature in the two post-season matches but snubbed Ezzaki's attempts to get in touch with him.

"As I have said before, how can I call someone up when he doesn't want to pick up his phone or answer our messages?" he told reporters.

"You have given too much importance to this case. I have an entire project in which several players want to get involved and contribute. If someone doesn't, I won't make too much of it."

Goalkeepers: Khalid Askri (Raja Casablanca), Mohamed Amsif (Augsburg), Karim Fegrouche (AEL Limassol)

Defenders: Manuel Da Costa (Sivasspor), Mehdi Benatia (Roma), Zouhair Feddal (Sienne), Abdelhamid El Kaoutari (Montpellier), Mohamed Oulhaj (Raja Casablanca), Mohamed Abarhoun (Moghred Tetouan), Abderrahim Achchakir (FAR Rabat), Ayoub El Khaliqi (Wydad Casablanca), Zakaria El Hachimi (Raja Casablanca), Zakarya Bergdich (Valladolid), Achraf Lazaar (Palermo)

Midfielders: Issam El Adoua (Levante), Jamel Ait Ben Idir (Auxerre), Mounir El Obbadi (Monaco), Mohamed Berrabeh (Wydad Casablanca), Issam Erraki (Raja Casablanca), Nordin Amrabat (Malaga), Mehdi Carcela (Standard Liege), Abdelaziz Barrada (Al Jazira), Mbark Boussoufa (Lokomotiv Moscow), Omar El Kaddouri (Torino), Younes Belhanda (Dynamo Kiev), Aatif Chahechouhe (Sivasspor)

Attackers: Abderrazak Hamdallah (Guangzhou R&F), Youssef El Arabi (Granada), Marouane Chamakh (Crystal Palace)

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Samir Nasri's girlfriend is to be SUED by Didier Deschamps after foul-mouthed Twitter rant

• Anara Atanes tweeted 'F*** France and f*** Deschamps!'
  • She said tweets 'were not aimed at the nation as a whole'
  • Nasri considering quitting international football after World Cup snub
  • Manchester City midfielder left out by France manager Didier Deschamps
  • France boss says he isn't good at sitting on the bench
By Jack Gaughan
Published: 16:01 GMT, 16 May 2014 | Updated: 16:43 GMT, 16 May 2014

Didier Deschamps has filed a civil law suit against Samir Nasri's girlfriend after her foul-mouthed rant about the France boss for his decision to omit the Manchester City midfielder from his World Cup squad.

Anara Atanes caused a twitter-storm after tweeting 'F*** France and F*** Deschamps! What a s*** manager'.

But, even though she later apologised, Deschamps will be taking legal action against Atanes.

article-2628583-1DC3BAAC00000578-966_634x488.jpg

Trouble: Anara Atanes is facing legal action after criticising France coach Didier Deschamps

article-2628583-1DD0934900000578-399_634x580.jpg

Apology: The model said she hadn't intended to offend French people, only the football management

article-2628583-19EF76AB00000578-511_634x465.jpg

Retiring? Nasri is considering his international future after being left out of the squad

French radio station RMC is reporting that Deschamps and the French Football Federation (FFF) have both opened legal proceedings against Atanes, who is an English-born singer from the pop group Fanfare.

'FFF condemns insulting remarks against Didier Deschamps and fully supports his coach in his approach,' read a statement released on Friday.

'The unanimous feedback confirmed that the entire France condemned such remarks. FFF believes that the unanimous indignation is enough to condemn such behaviour.'

Atanes had tweeted: 'I apologize if i offended anyone from france, My tweets were not aimed at the nation as a whole,' tweeted the Brighton-born model.

The Manchester City playmaker was surprisingly left out of coach Deschamps' 23-man squad, and even the seven on standby, when it was announced on Tuesday.

And the 26-year-old, who was also left out of the 2010 World Cup by then-coach Raymond Domenech, told Sky Sports News: 'It's a little bit hard to accept.

'I need to take some time now to think about the national team because it's been twice now that they take away a World Cup from me.

'You can go around and ask any player if they're happy to be on the bench, nobody's going to say yes.

article-2628583-1DD092A000000578-76_634x599.jpg

Discontent: Brighton born Atanes has used her twitter account to criticise France and post pictures of herself

article-2628583-1DD0A30200000578-981_634x387.jpg

Decision: Deschamps says he left Nasri at home because he would not be content to sit on the bench

article-2630590-1DD05BFE00000578-10_634x382.jpg

Under-fire: Deschamps has been attacked by former players and pundits for his decision on Nasri

'I need to think a little bit during the holiday, what will be my future in the national team, because missing two World Cups is really hard for a player.'

While Nasri's absence was greeted with widespread shock, the player himself said: 'I must confess, I knew before.

'Sometimes you have the feeling, when you call to speak to the manager and he doesn't want to speak to you, you know you're not going to go to the World Cup.

'It was a shock but I was prepared mentally. I'm okay.

'I respect his choice. He wanted to not pick me... good on him. I wish good luck to the French national team.'

article-2628583-1DD0983300000578-571_634x564.jpg

Delight: Atanes and Nasri were celebrating just a few days ago when City clinched the title

article-2628583-1DC5AE5600000578-330_634x393.jpg

Success: Nasri has been a crucial part of City's title winning team this season

article-2630590-1DEA987A00000578-145_306x423.jpg

Former France captain Patrick Vieira has expressed his surprise at Nasri's exclusion.

Vieira, a member of France's 1998 World Cup-winning squad when Deschamps was captain, has seen at first hand much of Nasri's fine campaign.

The former Arsenal captain is now the coach of the elite development squad at City.

Vieira tweeted: 'It is a surprise not to see @SamNasri19 on the way to Brazil. For me, the way he played his year would have put him on the plane.'

Deschamps defended his decision to omit Nasri, suggesting the former Arsenal star was not an ideal squad player.

'Samir is an important player for Manchester City but he has not performed that well with France,' he said.

'He is a starter at City, which is not the case with France, and he has made it clear that he is not happy when he is a substitute - and I can tell you it can be felt in the squad.'

article-2628583-1DD7E42000000578-755_634x709.jpg

Back to basics: Nasri trained with his City team-mates on their post-season trip to Abu Dhabi

article-2628583-1DD6D12700000578-768_634x427.jpg

Popular: The Frenchman took part in a signing session for fans with team-mates Jovetic and Nastasic

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Sol Campbell says Roy Hodgson has picked too many young players for the World Cup

• Sol Campbell says England World Cup side is too young
  • Not enough players 'in the middle' of being experienced and inexperienced
  • Ross Barkley and Luke Shaw named in 23-man squad
By Ossian Shine
Published: 19:53 GMT, 16 May 2014 | Updated: 19:53 GMT, 16 May 2014

England could pay for having too many youngsters and not enough experience at the World Cup this summer, according to Sol Campbell.

The former international said there was always room for youngsters to be blooded at major events, but that Roy Hodgson had gone too far with his 23-man squad for Brazil.

'Personally I think there are too many players who are a bit too young,' he told Reuters.

article-2630764-04AB9EDB0000044D-362_634x417.jpg

Not the right mix: Former England international Sol Campbell believes there isn't enough experience in the side

article-2630764-1DC62A1200000578-671_306x423.jpg
article-2630764-1DD0FE0A00000578-210_306x423.jpg

Youthful: Luke Shaw (left) and Ross Barkley are two of the youngsters selected by Roy Hodgson

article-2630764-1DC6974000000578-801_634x472.jpg

Experience: Hodgson picked his 23-man squad for the World Cup in the hope of surprising people

'There are not enough of that middle group. It is a squad almost of young (players) and then a few 28-plus, 30, whatever... there is not that middle market which needs to be filled in.'

One of Hodgson’s more controversial choices was the selection of 18-year-old Southampton defender Luke Shaw ahead of Ashley Cole

Campbell said: 'It is good to have a few youngsters, to allow them to feel what it is like at a big tournament because the pressure is immense.

'You get that first game and everyone is excited but then you get that second and that third game and the pressure really comes in, where the enormity of what you are trying to do kicks in.

'You have to be a really special kid to be able to handle that - and you need the experience around you to absorb that, and allow you to continue to be free and not to be inhibited by it.'

Along with Shaw, Hodgson has included 20-year-old Everton midfielder Ross Barkley, Liverpool winger Raheem Sterling, 19, and midfielder Jordan Henderson, 23, Manchester United defender Phil Jones, 22, Arsenal’s Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, 20, and Jack Wilshere, 22.

article-2630764-1DC092EE00000578-186_634x457.jpg

Leader: England may be looking to Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard to part with his wisdom

article-2630764-1DCFAAA500000578-933_634x492.jpg

Snub: Campbell has backed the decision for England to opt against recalling retired defender John Terry

Hodgson came under fire this week from another of Campbell’s former defensive partners Tony Adams, when he said the England boss should have persuaded John Terry to come out of international retirement and link up with his Chelsea team mate Gary Cahill.

But Campbell said it was not so clear cut.

'Does he (Hodgson) want to break up what he has going for England just for one tournament? What if it goes wrong? Then people lose confidence and John Terry is not going to be there for the next three, four years-plus.

'I think if he’d said to John Terry ‘come along, these are my two guys but you come along and support’ that would have been better if he’d said that. Maybe he did and John Terry wanted to be first man, I’m not privy to what was said, if anything, and how it was said.'

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

World Cup stadium to host England vs Uruguay won't have a roof as new ground in Sao Paulo STILL left unfinished

• Roof on the Itaquerao won't be finished in time for World Cup opener
  • Construction company say that supporters won't be left uncovered
  • Stadium will be completed after the finals have ended in July
By Tales Azzoni
Published: 22:09 GMT, 16 May 2014 | Updated: 22:56 GMT, 16 May 2014

The roof of the stadium hosting the World Cup opener in a few weeks will not be fully finished in time for the tournament, constructors said on Friday.

Construction company Odebrecht confirmed that a part of the roof at the Itaquerao will only be completed after the World Cup.

There was not enough time to install the glass covers that were supposed to be added to the sides of the stadium's roofing structure, so Odebrecht and local organisers have decided to postpone the work until after the tournament.

article-2630877-1DCE59F400000578-233_634x363.jpg

Shambles! The Itaquerao in Sao Paulo won't be completed before the World Cup starts (picture taken in March)

Odebrecht said the missing covers will not affect fans watching matches in the stadium.

The company in charge of 20,000 temporary seats needed for the opener said it has successfully addressed all health and safety issues that had prompted prosecutors to threaten to halt work at the venue.

Odebrecht said in an email that the glass covers will only be installed after the World Cup because 'transparency studies' were still being finalised to make sure the covers can allow the passage of the proper amount of light needed to 'preserve the pitch in good conditions'.

The company said the roof itself is ready and guaranteed that the covers are not essential, even though they were part of the initial project.

Some reports said the glass covers were needed to help protect fans from rain, but Odebrecht denied that their absence would keep fans uncovered.

The company had already said that not all fans seated behind the goals will be fully covered from rain during the World Cup.

article-2630877-1DAE76F100000578-78_634x399.jpg

Sure? The construction company said no fans will be left uncovered at the ground (picture taken on May 8)

article-2630877-1DAE7AD100000578-348_634x408.jpg

Major blow: The stadium's roof will now only be completed after the World Cup has ended (picture taken May 8)

FIFA and the local World Cup organising committee did not respond to requests for comment. The Itaquerao is one of the three stadiums yet to be completed ahead of the World Cup. Late last year, two workers died after a crane collapsed while hoisting a huge roofing structure, causing significant construction delays at the venue that was expected to be ready by the end of last year.

In March, another worker died while installing the temporary seats there, prompting labor officials to halt construction and causing another delay.

On Thursday, prosecutors said they found health and safety irregularities at the Itaquerao and threatened to stop the installation of the temporary seats that are still missing. The company in charge of the work, Fast Engenharia, said on Friday that it addressed all the problems pointed by prosecutors and dismissed the possibility of another work stoppage.

In his latest visit to Brazil last month, FIFA Secretary General Jerome Valcke said there was 'not a minute' to waste if local organisers wanted to make sure the Itaquerao was ready for the opener.

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

England vs Uruguay World Cup venue protected by riot police as protesters block roads outside stadium with burning tyres

By David Kent
Published: 20:24 GMT, 15 May 2014 | Updated: 00:40 GMT, 16 May 2014

Protesters began a wave of demonstrations around Brazil, burning tyres and blocking highways to draw attention to housing and education needs before the World Cup.

In Sao Paulo demonstrators blocked two key roads into the city and hundreds protested near the Itaquerao Stadium, which will play host to England's World Cup match against Uruguay on June 19.

article-0-1DDFC21E00000578-166_634x419.jpg

Security: Riot police stand guard near the Itaquerao stadium in Sao Paul

article-0-1DE0AB4200000578-647_634x427.jpg

Dissent: A protester waves a Brazilian flag by burning tyres near Itaquerao stadium in Sao Paulo

article-2629705-1DDFEB0300000578-127_634x405.jpg

Less than a month before the tournament kicks off, and four months before a presidential election, Thursday's protests will gauge the ability of demonstrators to once again rally frustrated Brazilians and the competence of police to manage unrest that occasionally escalated over the past year into violence and vandalism.

A main thoroughfare was blocked with burning tires in Brazil's biggest city of Sao Paulo and protesters stormed a building in the capital Brasilia. Looters also took advantage of a striking military police force in the northeastern city of Recife, a World Cup venue, where security has been handed to the army until the police return.

Groups, including the Homeless Workers Movement, marched towards a World Cup stadium in Sao Paulo, site of the opening game between Brazi and Croatia, that has become a target because of families displaced by its construction.

article-0-1DDFB41A00000578-845_634x463.jpg

Anger: Members of the Workers Without a Roof Movement (MTST) protest in Sao Paulo

article-0-1DDFB01A00000578-634_634x425.jpg

Fuming: The group wanted to draw attention to housing and education needs before the World Cup

article-0-1DE0AE9400000578-777_634x402.jpg

One banner carried by demonstrators read: 'The cup without the people, all to the streets again!'

In Brasilia the Homeless Workers Movement entered the headquarters of Terracap, the state company that manages the city's 1.4 billion reais ($630 million) stadium - the country's most expensive.

Protests are planned in up to 50 cities throughout the day, as demonstrators hope to rekindle momentum that led to millions of people hitting the streets last year during the Confederations Cup, a two-week World Cup warmup.

article-2629705-1DE2F1CD00000578-489_634x481.jpg

Stand off: Military police stand behind a demonstrator wearing the figure of a skeleton holding up a trophy

article-2629705-1DE2EC8900000578-624_634x594.jpg

Sign of times: Youngsters with a banner saying 'Fifa Go Home. Youth against the injustice of the World Cup'

article-2629705-1DE33B2D00000578-391_634x433.jpg

Show of force: A line of riot police block the passage to demonstrators taking part in the 'International Day of World Cup Resistance' protest

article-2629705-1DE38F1A00000578-953_634x485.jpg

Demo: Hundreds protest against money spent on the World Cup preparations in Sao Paulo

article-2629705-1DE38E0500000578-653_634x445.jpg

Tragic: Demonstrators hold a bouquet that reads 'Cup of death' and placards with pictures of construction workers that died during the construction of the World Cup stadiums

Last year's demonstrations prompted President Dilma Rousseff, who faces a bid for re-election in October, to address the nation and acknowledge deficiencies in public services and investment in everything from education and health care to transportation and security.

After a near-decade of steady growth before she took office, Brazil is now struggling with a sluggish economy, persistent inflation, rising crime rates and lackluster investment.
Thursday's protests come in a week which has already seen widespread strikes from dissatisfied labor unions across Brazil, from bus drivers in Rio de Janeiro to military police in the northeastern city of Recife.

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Diego Lugano says Costa Rica will be more difficult to beat than England and Italy

By David Kent
Published: 22:33 GMT, 15 May 2014 | Updated: 22:33 GMT, 15 May 2014

Uruguay captain Diego Lugano claims their opening Group D match against Costa Rica will be the most difficult to win.

Óscar Tabárez's side kick-off their off their World Cup campaign against the least fancied side in group, where they will also take on former champions Italy and England.

‘It is the first one, which is obviously always the most difficult for us,’ said West Brom defender Lugano.

article-2629814-0562F13500000514-332_634x399.jpg

Bullish mood: West Brom's Diego Lugano says Uruguay can defy the odds in Brazil

article-2629814-19EFEC0E00000578-224_634x417.jpg

Warning: Lugano reckons beating Costa Rica will be more difficult than facing Italy and England

‘And for them also because it is the game where we should obtain the three points. And surely our opponents are probably super-motivated for this first game against Uruguay.’
Uruguay are outsiders to win the competition, but Lugano insists they can defy the odds and reach the latter stages in Brazil.

He added: 'The reality is that we are not candidates. We do, no doubt, have the potential to have a leading role and we also have the desire for glory and to continue doing big things.'

article-2629814-09FFD482000005DC-490_634x444.jpg

Leading by example: Lugano is a veteran among the Uruguay squad after making his debut a decade ago

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Van Persie: I want to play up front with Robben

406714_heroa.jpg

By Peter McVitie
May 18, 2014 8:37:00 AM

The Dutch forward says the Bayern Munich star can play anywhere and he hopes they can both fire the Oranje to success in Brazil next month

Robin van Persie hopes Arjen Robben will partner him up front for Netherlands in the World Cup and says he is in favour of the 5-3-2 system they are expected to use at the tournament.

Louis van Gaal's men were trailing Ecuador at the Amsterdam Arena before the Manchester United star levelled matters with a magnificent goal - excellently chesting down Jordy Clasie's pinpoint long pass and volleying past the visitors' goalkeeper.

While a 1-1 draw with Ecuador wasn't the ideal way to continue their preparations for the competition in Brazil, Van Persie was satisfied with the display and confident in the formation they used and are expected to stick with in Brazil.

"We played quite well in the second half. I believe in this system - it is different, but it is one that creates opportunities," the striker told SBS6.

"Would I be happy to play with Arjen Robben in attack? Yes, of course. He is a fantastic player and he can play anywhere."

Van Persie then heaped praise upon 22-year-old Clasie, whose wonderful pass allowed him to square the tie.

The 30-year-old continued: "That pass made the goal possible. That was a world class ball. That pass gave me the opportunity to do my thing.

"I think that pass was more beautiful than my goal. The only thing I had to do was control the ball and score. That pass from Clasie was world class."

Netherlands play Ghana in their next World Cup warm-up match on May 30, with their final fixture in preparation for the World Cup coming against Wales on June 4. s."

Kawashima

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Suarez may struggle to shine in Brazil, says Hodgson

406321_heroa.jpg

By Jack Davies
May 18, 2014 9:32:00 AM

The Uruguay striker enjoyed a stunning season at club level, scoring 31 goals for Liverpool, but the England boss feels he may find it difficult at the World Cup

England manager Roy Hodgson claims Luis Suarez may struggle to shine for Uruguay at this summer's World Cup.

The two nations have been drawn together in Group D for the tournament in Brazil, and meet in the second round of fixtures on June 19.

But Hodgson feels double footballer of the year Suarez - who scored 31 Premier League goals last season to inspire Liverpool's title challenge - could struggle without his club-mates around him.

"Suarez is my player of the year," he told reporters. "I'm not trying to take anything away from him, he's had a wonderful season. He's an exceptional player, with exceptional ability.

"But he's not alone. He won't have at Uruguay the same players he has around him at Liverpool. So who knows? Maybe he's less effective with Uruguay than for Liverpool.

"I think it would be a big mistake to get hung up on any individual player no matter how much you respect their ability.

"In our team talk we will focus on Uruguay as a team, the way they play, the way they attack and defend, it won’t be all about just 'Suarez, Suarez, Suarez'. I expect our players when they go out against Uruguay to deal with Luis Suarez as if they were meeting him in a club competition.

"Our two centre-halves, Gary Cahill and Phil Jagielka, have played against him many times. They know his strengths.

"If we are going to deal with any great player at the World Cup we will have to be well organised as a team.

"I would be very worried if we have so little faith in ourselves that when we are going to play Italy or Uruguay it’s all about Mario Balotelli this, or Suarez that.

"I would like to think our players are thinking 'We are good too'."