• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

☆☆☆ FIFA World Cup 2014 ☆☆☆

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Spain rest Madrid and Atletico stars

408860_heroa.jpg

By Andrew Wychrij
May 25, 2014 11:58:00 AM

Those players involved in the Champions League final will be allowed additional time to recover before joining up with the national side

Spain head coach Vicente del Bosque has announced he will not use any Real Madrid or Atletico players in Friday's friendly against Bolivia.

The cross-city rivals clashed in Saturday's Champions League final, with Carlo Ancelotti's side running out 4-1 winners to secure a record 10th European crown, and Del Bosque has opted to rest the internationals involved in the fixture.

Spain were thought to be announcing their final 23-man line-up on Sunday ahead of this summer's tournament in Brazil, but instead merely confirmed that the eight players in the provisional squad from the two Madrid clubs will not play against Bolivia.

From newly-crowned Champions League winners Madrid, the list includes goalkeeper Iker Casillias, defenders Sergio Ramos and Daniel Carvajal and midfielder Xabi Alonso.

Atleti players Juanfran, Koke, David Villa and Diego Costa will also not feature in the upcoming friendly.

Spain will also play El Salvador on June 7 ahead of mounting their defence of their World Cup crown, beginning with a Group B clash against the Netherlands on June 13.

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Spain boss Del Bosque delays naming final World Cup squad

410920_heroa.jpg

By Mark Doyle
May 25, 2014 4:22:00 PM

The 63-year-old had been expected to cut his 30-man panel to 23 on Sunday but he has decided to wait until the June 2 deadline

Spain coach Vicente del Bosque has postponed the announcement of his final World Cup squad, instead naming an 18-strong panel for Friday's friendly against Bolivia.

The 63-year-old had been expected to reveal the identity of the 23 players that will be travelling to Brazil but has instead decided to wait until the June 2 deadline before finalising his selection because of the involvement and Real Madrid and city rivals Atletico in Saturday's Champions League final.

Indeed, Del Bosque admitted that he does not yet know what shape Rojiblancos duo Juanfran and Diego Costa are in.

"We've done this because we don't know the physical conditions of all the players," the former Real boss told reporters on Sunday.

"Until June 2 we are not obliged to announce it to Fifa and we would like for all of them to get here before then and evaluate them in training conditions.

"The World Cup kicks off against the Netherlands and we want all of them to be in top form.

"Except for Juanfran and Diego Costa, who we don't yet know how they are after the Champions League final, we know the conditions of the rest."

Del Bosque also insisted that Jesus Navas, Alvaro Negredo and Fernando Llorente have nothing to worry about - despite being left out of the squad to face Bolivia.

"Many have chances of getting to the World Cup although they might not feature in this list," he explained. "Jesus Navas, Negredo and Llorente could make it."

Del Bosque added that Gerard Deulofeu will be the first player he turns to should an attacker like Costa, who has been struggling with a hamstring problem and was forced off just nine minutes into the Champions League final - be ruled out of the World Cup.

"We have confidence in [Deulofeu]," the Roja coach explained. "He's good on the sides. He's done very well [on loan] at Everton and he's a good solution.

"If there were any injuries he would be one of the first we'd consider."

Spain squad v Bolivia:

Goalkeepers: David de Gea (Manchester United), Pepe Reina (Napoli)

Defenders: Jordi Alba (Barcelona), Raul Albiol (Napoli), Cesar Azpilicueta (Chelsea), Javi Martinez (Bayern Munich), Alberto Moreno (Sevilla), Gerard Pique (Barcelona)

Midfielders: Sergio Busquets (Barcelona), Santi Cazorla (Arsenal), Gerard Deulofeo (Barcelona), Cesc Fabregas (Barcelona), Xavi Hernandez (Barcelona), Andres Iniesta (Barcelona), Ander Iturraspe (Athletic Bilbao), Juan Mata (Manchester United), Pedro (Barcelona), David Silva (Manchester City)

Forwards: Fernando Torres (Chelsea)

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Weidenfeller: I don't want to play because Neuer is injured

411299_heroa.jpg

By Enis Koylu
May 26, 2014 9:27:00 PM

The Germany keeper is hoping that his team-mate recovers in time for their first World Cup match but says he is prepared to step in whenever needed

Germany goalkeeper Roman Weidenfeller says he does not want to play at the World Cup purely because Manuel Neuer is injured.

The Bayern Munich No.1 has been struggling with a shoulder problem ahead of the tournament in Brazil, having picked up the knock in the DFB-Pokal final win over Borussia Dortmund.

The BVB shot-stopper is expected to be his deputy at the tournament but the 33-year-old is still hoping that his international team-mate recovers.

"I'll be there when I'm needed," he told reporters.

"But I don't want it to be at the expense of Manuel Neuer. If I can help Manuel get fit, I will do it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he will recover at time to face Portugal."

Germany kick off their World Cup campaign on June 16 against Paulo Bento's side in Salvador before games against Ghana and the USA.

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Low remains anxious over injured Bayern trio

411488_heroa.jpg

By Alex Fisher
May 26, 2014 9:01:00 PM

Philipp Lahm looks set to return to full training soon but Bastian Schweinsteiger and Manuel Neuer remain doubts for the World Cup opener against Portugal

Germany coach Joachim Low is still sweating over the fitness of Philipp Lahm, Bastian Schweinsteiger and Manuel Neuer ahead of the World Cup.

The key trio have all been carrying injuries following the end of Bayern Munich's season and are not yet taking part in full training at Germany's pre-tournament training camp.

Low hopes to have captain Lahm back in the coming days, but his club-mates Schweinsteiger and Neuer are further away from a return.

"Philipp Lahm's ankle injury has improved a lot and he'll start running tomorrow," the 54-year-old said on Monday.

"Manuel Neuer needs a bit longer to fully partake in team training, (and) Bastian Schweinsteiger is taking things day to day."

Low went on to call on all his squad members to put their club rivalries aside and focus on achieving glory in Brazil, with Germany's World Cup opener against Portugal just 21 days away.

"These guys were opponents, (but) now they're teammates and the work they've done in training has been excellent," he added.

"In 2010 we showed the players footage of how the fans celebrated like mad back in Germany. It gave us a lot of belief."

Bayern forward Thomas Muller hailed the level of togetherness in the squad.

"The team is in good shape and is showing a lot of solidarity. There are no small groups, we all have fun together off the pitch even when you take the two groups from Bayern and [Borussia] Dortmund - we all get along well.

"So without just speaking for the camera, for now, everything is going very well."

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Gundogan: Germany can win World Cup

405001_heroa.jpg

By Helge Wohltmann and Martin Ernst
May 26, 2014 12:44:00 PM

The midfielder is optimistic about the Nationalelf's chances of claiming their first major trophy since 1996 this summer

Ilkay Gundogan believes Germany have what it takes to go all the way at this summer's World Cup.

Joachim Low's men were eliminated in the semi-finals in South Africa four years ago, but the Borussia Dortmund midfielder feels they could go one step further if everything goes their way in Brazil.

"I believe that the team has a lot of potential and is capable of going very far in Brazil," Gundogan told Goal.

"A lot of people have [relatively] low expectations, but that could prove to be a good thing.

"With a good start and a good result against Portugal, Germany could be on its way to the final. They will have to grow a bit game after game. And anything's possible if you make it to the final."

The 23-year-old will miss the tournament due to a back injury that kept him sidelined all season and he has admitted that not playing at this summer's World Cup is a huge disappointment.

"Of course, it hurts a lot to miss the World Cup," Gundogan confessed. "Especially because it is in Brazil. I also felt confident about my chances of getting playing time.

"I will obviously follow the tournament closely, though, and hope Germany will do well."

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Fatigue won't affect Spain players, Torres says

MADRID Mon May 26, 2014 9:23pm BST

r

Chelsea's Fernando Torres is congratulated by Cesar Azpilicueta (L) after scoring a goal against Atletico Madrid during their Champion's League semi-final second leg soccer match at Stamford Bridge in London April 30, 2014 file photo. REUTERS/Stefan Wermuth

(Reuters) - Fernando Torres has dismissed concerns the Spain players may be over-tired after a gruelling season as the world and European champions' squad for Friday's World Cup warm-up game against Bolivia gathered on Monday.

Most of the Spain team will be drawn from Barcelona, Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid and the three clubs were involved in a tense fight for the La Liga title that was only decided on the final day.

Real and Atletico also clashed in Saturday's Champions League final, when forward Diego Costa came off injured in the ninth minute and fullback Juanfran appeared to be struggling with an injury in the latter stages.

"It's true that the national team players have been competing until very recently," Torres told reporters as he arrived at Spain's training base outside Madrid.

"But you forget the tiredness when you go to a World Cup and with Spain," added the Chelsea forward, who will be competing in his third World Cup starting in Brazil next month if he makes coach Vicente del Bosque's final squad.

"It was the same with other tournaments in the past and it went well for us. The players from big clubs are used to having long seasons."

Del Bosque's main injury concern will be Costa, who was struggling with niggling muscle problems in the final weeks of the La Liga and Champions League campaigns.

The Brazil-born forward had tests on Monday which revealed a tear to a thigh muscle and he will need around 15 days to recover, local media reported.

There was no official confirmation of the injury from the Spanish soccer federation (RFEF) or Atletico.

Del Bosque has until June 2 to name his final 23-man squad and the Real and Atletico players selected will not join the rest of the players until then.

The 19 called up for Friday's game against Bolivia in Seville had medical checks before training on Monday and were all in "perfect" shape, the RFEF said on the national team's website (www.sefutbol.com).

Spain face Netherlands, Chile and Australia in Group B at the World Cup finals, which start on June 12 in Brazil.

(Reporting by Iain Rogers, editing by Julien Pretot)

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mascherano: The pressure is on all of us, not just Messi

332251_heroa.jpg

By Joe Wright
May 26, 2014 8:28:00 PM

The Barcelona stopper says his team-mate is not the only player who will be under intense scrutiny as Alejandro Sabella's men prepare to challenge for glory in Brazil

Barcelona and Argentina defender Javier Mascherano insists it is not only Lionel Messi who is under pressure to deliver at the World Cup this summer.

The 26-year-old has endured a frustrating club campaign in the past season, struggling with injury problems as Barca failed to defend their Liga title and suffered defeat in the Copa del Rey final and Champions League quarter-finals.

Messi now heads to the World Cup in Brazil as captain of one of the pre-tournament favourites, but Mascherano has stressed he is not alone in shouldering the responsibility next month.

"The first objective will be to minimise the number of errors of the team and arrive at the start of the World Cup in the best way possible," he told Ole.

"The pressure in Brazil will be on everyone, not just Messi."

Argentina will face Bosnia-Herzegovina, Iran and Nigeria in Group F, beginning with a match against Safet Susic's side on June 15.

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Atletico Madrid can be an example for Netherlands, says Van Gaal

408306_heroa.jpg

By Peter McVitie
May 26, 2014 6:22:00 PM

The 62-year-old believes his team can learn lessons from the Liga champions and revealed he will field his World Cup starting XI against Ghana on Saturday

Louis van Gaal believes Atletico Madrid can be an example to the Netherlands in this summer's World Cup.

Diego Simeone's side won the Spanish league on the final day of the season and narrowly lost out in the Champions League final, leading until a Sergio Ramos header deep into injury time ensured the tie went into extra-time, with Real Madrid going on to win 4-1.

But Van Gaal believes his team can learn from the Spaniards with their defensive solidity, pressing game and fighting spirit but insisted his own set-up at corners would prevent a goal like Ramos' equaliser.

"I think Atletico can be an example for Netherlands," he told reporters.

"We train with a four against four game for our build up play and that’s always a very aggressive way to train. When we were watching the Champions League final, I told my players: do you understand why we train four on four? I want players to be aggressive in our pressure game.

"We also have a player on the line during corners. We always discuss this with our goalkeeper and the goalkeeper coach."

Netherlands are expected to line up in a 5-3-2 system in the World Cup, with Arjen Robben and Robin van Persie looking likely to make up the front two, and Van Gaal believes the duo can make a good partnership.

Manchester United's new boss said: "I think Robben and Van Persie can be very good together. But we still have to see how they do it. We’ve done it a few times during this week, but the No.10 is also important in our attack.

"I have a good feeling about it. I’m satisfied about the way they play together. I really want to see how our opponents play against us. I don’t think they’ll defend man-on-man against Van Persie, Robben and Sneijder. That’s why our new system is very hard to defend."

The 62-year-old added he has been pleasantly surprised by how Sneijder is performing in training.

"Wesley Sneijder is a positive surprise for me. He makes a very good impression on me and looks very fit," continued Van Gaal.

"I think that’s due to the player himself. I read that it was the work of the Dutch national team manager, but I always think that the player does that to himself.

"If he gets in form, he can be a very important player for us. I saw a difference between the Sneijder from December and January and the Sneijder from last week.

"The chance that he will play gets bigger when I see how fit he is at the moment."

The coach then added he knows the vast majority of names that will make up his final squad for the tournament in Brazil, adding he will reveal the 23-man squad later this week.

Van Gaal said: "I know 20 players of my definite squad. It depends a bit on the match of Netherlands U21 v Scotland on Wednesday. We will evaluate this match and make our decision partly based on the players in that team.

"Before the match with Ghana on Saturday I will announce my 23-man squad. On June 2 I have to give my list to the Fifa, but I will make my decision earlier. Our starting XI for during the World Cup will play against Ghana."

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Postecoglou: Judge Australia after the World Cup

411480_heroa.jpg

By Iain Strachan
May 26, 2014 5:42:00 PM

The coach feels the underwhelming display against South Africa was down to the intensive physical preparation his team have undergone for Brazil

Ange Postecoglou says it will take time for the Australia to perfect his new tactics after they struggled to a 1-1 draw against South Africa on Monday.

The Socceroos made a fast start in the farewell friendly ahead of their departure for the World Cup, but fell behind to Ayanda Patosi's 13th-minute strike.

The 50,000 spectators at ANZ Stadium were relieved to see Tim Cahill, captaining the team in the absence of Mile Jedinak, equalise just a minute later.

But the home side couldn't maintain their early intensity beyond the first 30 minutes, prompting one reporter to remind Postecoglou of his stated goal since taking charge of the national team; to make people excited about watching the Socceroos.

"I didn't say that after one game did I? I think I said after the World Cup. We are still three weeks away from our first game or just under," the coach said.

"We had some objectives to work hard and try and play our gameplan. It was a bit of a struggle, but the players played it out until the end.

"It was a good initial spell for us. We struggled a little physically. With the work the players have done the last 10 days it is not really surprising. We have used this period to really work them hard as a result of that - even though they gave everything - after 20-25 minutes they really struggled physically.

"Leading into the game we've overworked them for a reason. How much of the performance was fatigue and how much was it them not grasping the game-plan? Time will tell."

First-choice right-back Ivan Franjic went off injured in the second half, prompting fears Australia may lose another important player just before the World Cup, although his coach offered a cautiously optimistic assessment.

"He got a knock on his knee. I don't think it's anything serious," Postecoglou said.

"We'll wait and see what the medical team say."

South Africa coach Gordon Igesund felt the performance of his players vindicated the spirited pre-match defence he mounted following criticism of the visitors' severely weakened travelling squad.

"We achieved what we needed to achieve," he said.

"There was a lot of talk about Bafana Bafana coming here with a team that was a farce. But I thought they did very well tonight, they worked hard."

Asked what he made of Australia's chances at the World Cup after seeing them in action against his side, the visiting coach offered a diplomatic response.

"It was a funny game," he said. "The important thing is going to the tournament, your team is going and we're not and we're incredibly jealous. They'll be competitive."

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

England can emulate Liverpool, says Sturridge

411344_heroa.jpg

By Peter Hanson
May 26, 2014 4:27:00 PM

The striker sees no reason why the Three Lions cannot mount a challenge in Brazil despite their status as outsiders after coming agonisingly close to a league title with the Reds

Daniel Sturridge has called on England to follow Liverpool's example and mount an unlikely challenge for World Cup glory.

Sturridge formed one half of a lethal strike partnership with Luis Suarez at Anfield this season as the Reds came agonisingly close to claiming a first top-flight title since 1990.

Buoyed by a return of 21 Premier League goals, the former Chelsea forward sees no reason why England cannot mount a similar challenge despite their status as outsiders.

"There are other nations that are in a similar situation to us," he told reporters. "There are no real favourites at this World Cup. Everyone's got a chance.

"It's like when you look at the Premier League last season. Nobody would've said Liverpool would be challenging or have a chance of winning it. So regardless of whether we have pressure or not, whether people are saying we'll win it or we won't - it doesn't matter.

"It's a different level of football to the Premier League. You have to understand, it's everyone's dream to play in the World Cup. I've been dreaming of this since I was a kid, so for me I'm just excited about it."

Rather than dwelling on the disappointment of missing out on the title, Sturridge insists Liverpool have started to appreciate what they achieved in securing a return to the Champions League.

He added: "It was boxed off the day after we lost it. You've got to move on. Your lives have to move on.

"It obviously wasn't a great feeling, but we set ourselves the target of getting into the Champions League and we achieved that, so everybody's content.

"But sometimes you get so close, you feel like you've almost won it and then don't achieve that - it's disappointing."

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

England can't rely on Rooney, warns Scholes

382471_heroa.jpg

May 26, 2014 3:41:00 PM

The retired midfielder feels that his former Manchester United team-mate does not reliably translate his fine club form to the international stage

EXCLUSIVE
By Anugerah Pamuji

Paul Scholes has warned that England should not rely too heavily on Wayne Rooney at the World Cup this summer.

The 28-year-old made a big splash in his first international tournament at Euro 2004 but has since failed to light up the world stage despite maintaining a good scoring record for Manchester United.

"England can't rely on Rooney," Scholes told Goal. "He has never been able to replicate his club form consistently at the international level."

The veteran was among several of the 'Class of '92' who assisted Ryan Giggs during the Welshman's spell as interim manager towards the end of the season but was not kept on as part of new boss Louis van Gaal's full-time coaching staff.

Scholes revealed that he is working on his qualifications but has no particular job lined up for when they are complete.

"I am taking my coaching badge and willing to see what comes from it day by day," he declared. "Nothing planned."

Of Van Gaal's new regime, Scholes remarked: "United needs to do what United does best, play attacking football.

"Players need to enjoy their football again so they can be their most creative and deadly."

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

'Positive' Suarez progressing well after surgery

Mon May 26, 2014 8:16pm BST

r

Uruguayan striker Luis Suarez leaves the hospital in a wheel chair after surgery due to a knee injury in Montevideo May 22, 2014.REUTERS/Andres Stapff

(Reuters) - Uruguay striker Luis Suarez is progressing "very well" after undergoing keyhole surgery on his left knee although his chances of playing at the World Cup are still in the balance, the team doctor said on Monday.

"It's only been a few days (since the operation) but we can say that progress is very good," Alberto Pan told a news conference at the team's training camp.

"It would be adventurous to set a timeline. We have nearly three weeks ahead of us."

"We can't rule out that he will be ready for intense activity in this period, but we can't be certain, either," he added. "You can have adverse reactions and we will not know about this until he undergoes more intense activity."

Pan praised Suarez's attitude. "I've never heard a negative expression from him, he's always been positive," he said.

Suarez, who helped Uruguay to fourth place at the World Cup in South Africa four years ago, underwent surgery on Thursday and is expected to need 15 to 20 days to recover The 27-year-old has little room for manoeuvre before Uruguay play their first match in Group D, against Costa Rica in Fortaleza on June 14.

The two-times champions also face England and Italy in the first round. Suarez, top scorer in the English Premier League last season with 31 goals for Liverpool, is expected to miss Uruguay's warm-up matches in Montevideo against Northern Ireland on May 30 and Slovenia on June 4. Uruguay said that Suarez sustained a knock in the club's final match of the season and felt intense pain during a training session last week.

(Reporting by Malena Castaldi; writing by Brian Homewood; editing by Martyn Herman)

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Injured Kranjcar ruled out of World Cup

411465_heroa.jpg

By Alex Fisher
May 26, 2014 5:54:00 PM

The midfielder suffered a hamstring problem during QPR's play-off final victory at the weekend, meaning he will miss the tournament in Brazil

Croatia midfielder Niko Kranjcar has been ruled out of the World Cup due to a hamstring injury.

The 29-year-old suffered the injury during QPR's victory over Derby County in the Championship play-off final on Saturday and was substituted after 33 minutes at Wembley.

Kranjcar has been an integral part of his national team in recent years and was preparing for his second World Cup appearance.

However, the Croatian Football Association announced on Monday that the former Tottenham man, who has 81 international caps, will not travel to Brazil following an MRI scan in Zagreb.

"Croatian midfielder Niko Kranjcar will miss the World Cup due to hamstring injury," the body posted on their official Twitter account.

Croatia will appear in the competition's opening game against hosts Brazil on June 12.

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Prandelli signs two-year Italy contract extension

408548_heroa.jpg

Next Previous
May 26, 2014 1:36:00 PM

After leading the country to the final of Euro 2012, the coach has given his squad a pre-World Cup boost by signing a new deal

Cesare Prandelli has provided Italy with a pre-World Cup boost by signing a two-year contract extension to remain as Azzurri coach.

The 56-year-old’s previous deal was due to expire over the summer and his decision to stay will provide clarity for players and the FIGC as the build-up to Brazil continues.

Prandelli has been in charge since 2010, guiding Italy to the Euro 2012 final two years ago then easing them through World Cup qualifying.

Reports suggested he was considering a return to club management but he has had a change of heart and confirmed over the weekend that he was intending to stick with the national set-up until at least the end of Euro 2016.

"At this moment I feel a great satisfaction," Prandelli told ANSA on Saturday.

"I'm proud of the fact that the Italian Football Association has proposed a two-year renewal to me, regardless of the outcome of the World Cup.

"For this reason I have given my full availability."

This summer Prandelli will be hoping to replicate Italy's efforts eight years ago, when they were surprise winners of the 2006 tournament in Germany under Marcello Lippi's guidance.

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Protestors attack coach carrying Brazil players

By Pedro Fonseca
TERESOPOLIS Brazil Mon May 26, 2014 8:03pm BST

r

Demonstrators protest against the 2014 World Cup during the arrival of the Brazilian national soccer team at Granja Comary training center, in Teresopolis near Rio de Janeiro May 26, 2014. REUTERS/Ricardo Moraes

(Reuters) - The bus carrying Brazil's World Cup squad to their first day of training on Monday was kicked and punched by demonstrators angry at what they consider exorbitant spending on football and not enough on social programmes.

A small group of striking teachers attacked the bus as it left Rio de Janeiro for the mountain town of Teresopolis, where the squad will be based during the tournament.

The teachers covered the bus with stickers as Barcelona players Neymar and Dani Alves looked on from inside.

When the bus arrived in Teresopolis, 100kms away, another group of around 30 people chanted anti-World Cup slogans.

"This country's priority shouldn't be the World Cup, it should be improving health, education, housing and public transport," said Rui Costa, a striking teacher who helped organise the protest.

Costa said none of the houses promised to victims of a deadly flood in the area that killed around 1,000 people in 2011 had been delivered.

Protesters allied to a far-left political party held up a banner in English that read, "Billions for the FIFA's World Cup, No housing for the victims of the heavy rains of 2011. Do you think it is fair?"

The demonstrations ended peacefully but they provided another warning of the potential pitfalls that Brazil faces as it struggles to host football's biggest extravaganza.

Last year during the Confederations Cup, the dress rehearsal for next month's tournament, hundreds of thousands of people took to streets across the country to protest bus fare hikes.

The grievances soon expanded to cover a lack of social spending and excess investment in football stadiums.

None of the matches were affected but fans fought with riot police outside the arenas and tear gas was used.

"No one here is rooting against Brazil," said Alex Trintino, the coordinator of a local teachers' union.

"This was a symbolic act against a country that doesn't have money for health and education."

The 23 players charged with helping Brazil win a record sixth World Cup title will be based at the refurbished Granja Comary complex on the outskirts of Teresopolis throughout the month-long tournament, the first staged in Brazil since 1950.

Most of the players are scheduled to arrive Monday and undergo a battery of tests before they start physical and ball work on Wednesday.

They face friendlies against Panama on June 3 and Serbia on June 6 and then kick off the World Cup in Sao Paulo against Croatia on June 12.

(Additional reporting by Andrew Downie; Editing by Martyn Herman)

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Germany boss Loew hit with six-month driving ban

Team manager Bierhoff suggests sponsors Mercedes Benz limit his car’s speed in future

AFP
Published: 16:12 May 27, 2014

2bdeebaa780e308966853a8a5a6a9137.jpg

Berlin: Germany’s head coach Joachim Loew insisted on Tuesday that he has learnt his lesson after being banned from driving for six months.

The 54-year-old must hand over his licence after accruing too many points for speeding and talking on his phone while at the wheel.

“Of course, I stand by the fact that sometimes, unfortunately, I drive too fast. I know that I need to be reined in,” said Loew in a German Football Association (DFB) statement.

“I have learnt my lesson and will change my driving behaviour.

“There’s no getting round it, I have to live with the consequences and I often use the train now.”

Germany team manager Oliver Bierhoff could not resist poking fun at Loew’s expense, with car manufacturers Mercedes Benz being one of the team’s main sponsors.

“We will talk to our main sponsors and make sure that Jogi only gets cars from now on which have a regulated top speed,” said Bierhoff tongue-in-cheek at the Germans’ pre-World Cup training camp in north Italy.

This is not the first time Loew has lost his licence — he was banned for four weeks in 2006 having been clocked driving 134km/h in a 100km/h section of the motorway in Cologne.

“Joachim Loew had already told us that he would have to hand over his licence,” said DFB general secretary Helmut Sandrock. “We know that Jogi is annoyed at himself about this.”

Germany jet to Brazil on June 7 and open their World Cup campaign on June 16 against Portugal in Salvador in Group G.

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Simeone: World Cup might have distracted Messi

412141_heroa.jpg

By Mark Doyle
May 27, 2014 8:48:00 PM

The Argentina ace netted 41 times in 46 games in all competitions for Barcelona during the 2013-14 campaign but it has been claimed that he was saving himself for Brazil

Diego Simeone has suggested that Lionel Messi became distracted by the World Cup last season.

The Argentina international scored 41 goals in 46 appearances in all competitions for Barcelona in 2013-14 but his performances and attitude were the subject of much scrutiny throughout an injury-interrupted campaign.

It has been suggested that Messi was saving himself for the World Cup, which many argue the attacker needs to win in order to strengthen his claim on the title of the greatest player of all time.

Simeone, for his part, feels that it is entirely possible that the four-time Ballon d'Or winner has become consumed with proving himself on the game's grandest stage but is in no doubt that the 26-year-old will handle the pressure he has placed upon himself.

"After winning so much in Europe, it's normal that a World Cup could be tempting for him; that it could pose him extra responsibilities and pressures," the Atletico Madrid boss told Perform.

"But it'll be a great responsibility for him. There is no doubt that winning a World Cup makes you more special.

"Few players have had the chance to win it [from] our country. So that's why he and his team-mates will try to take Argentina to the best place in the world."

Indeed, Simeone is in no doubt that Argentina boss Alejandro Sabella has constructed a side capable of lifting the trophy.

"It will be a unique opportunity [for Argentina] in Brazil," he mused. "They will have to compete well as a team, the way they have done recently.

"Alejandro has overseen this growth in the last stages of qualifying and also in recent friendlies.

"At the end of the day, the progress must be shown on the pitch for all to see."

After leading Atletico to a shock Liga title win, as well as the final of the Champions League, Simeone is now one of the most sought-after coaches in world football.

However, the former midfield enforcer insists that he would turn down the chance to lead his country if the opportunity presented itself after the World Cup.

"Of course I would like to coach Argentina one day but for now, I feel that I still want to coach from the touchline every day," he explained.

"I look at the best national head coaches like Luis Aragones or Vicente del Bosque and I think you need to find the experience and wisdom you get from a long managerial career in order to be in the best seat in the world - your national side's.

"You need to be calm and patient and I'm not sure I have that right now due to my restlessness to be there on the pitch close to my players every day.

"Coaching a national side is different. That's why I'm convinced that you need an experience given by time and a patience given by the years to be in that place."

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Heynckes: I would have waited for Germany striker Gomez

395516_heroa.jpg

By Enis Koylu
May 27, 2014 8:04:00 PM

The 69-year-old feels that the Fiorentina striker should have been given more time to recover from the injuries which ruined his first season in Serie A

Former Bayern Munich coach Jupp Heynckes believes Germany boss Joachim Low should have given Mario Gomez as long as possible to prove his fitness for this summer's World Cup.

The Fiorentina striker has struggled with injury throughout the season and did not make his country's preliminary panel for this summer's World Cup.

Heynckes dropped Gomez during his time in charge at the Allianz Arena but he feels Low could come to regret his decision to omit the 28-year-old, who has netted 25 times in 59 international appearances.

"Gomez has been injured for a long time," the ex-Bayern boss is quoted as saying by Bild.

"One can understand the decision, but I certainly would have waited until the last moment to see whether Mario got fit again or not.

"The coach has called up Sami Khedira and Miroslav Klose, who were both injured for a long time."

Germany's next World Cup warm-up game is against Cameroon on June 1.

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Prandelli: Balotelli has always behaved well for Italy

411206_heroa.jpg

By Mark Doyle
May 27, 2014 7:47:00 PM

The Azzurri coach insists he has no doubts over either the temperament or the talent of the 23-year-old attacker, who is coming off the back of a turbulent season with AC Milan

Italy boss Cesare Prandelli has leapt to the defence of Mario Balotelli, pointing out that the under-fire forward has always served his country well.

The AC Milan striker is expected to lead the Azzurri attack at this summer's World Cup - despite ongoing doubts over his temperament after a turbulent Serie A season in which he broke down in tears after being substituted in a game against Napoli and lashed out at TV pundits during an interview after a loss at Roma.

Balotelli has also had to endure racist abuse - even while on Italy duty at Coverciano - and some wonder how he might react if he is subjected to such heinous treatment on or off the field in Brazil.

However, Prandelli has no doubts about the 23-year-old, either in terms of his talent or his temperament.

"In terms of the national team, he has never behaved outside of the rules," the Italy boss told Mediaset. "He has played great games and he has a very high goal average.

"I rate him for what he has done and what he is doing in the Azzurri jersey.

"Mario knows that the World Cup can be the turning point in the life of a footballer.

"I hope that in these days of preparing he has realised that he will have to endure a lot of provocation.

"If he arrives prepared [for it], he can do very well."

Balotelli has netted 12 times in 29 appearances for Italy, including a famous double in the semi-final victory over Germany at Euro 2012.

Lionel Messi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Reina: Other teams are catching up with Spain

31105_heroa.jpg

By Dejan Kalinic
May 27, 2014 5:27:00 PM

The goalkeeper believes La Roja's main rivals are becoming stronger but says he is relishing the prospect of playing in "the cradle of football" this summer

Spain goalkeeper Pepe Reina has admitted that other teams are "catching up" with the reigning world and European champions.

Last year's 3-0 defeat to Brazil in the final of the Confederations Cup has raised questions over Spain's chances of successfully defending their World Cup crown this summer, despite La Roja having won the last two European Championships as well as the title in South Africa in 2010.

And back-up goalkeeper Reina believes it is getting tougher for Vicente del Bosque's side to maintain their dominance on the international stage.

"We're going to try to become world champions again but we know that it's going to be difficult," Reina was quoted as saying by AS.

"Other teams are catching up to us and it just keeps getting more difficult."

Reina has been part of Spain's all-conquering squads at Euro 2008 and 2012, as well as at the 2010 World Cup.

But the 31-year-old, who spent last season on loan at Napoli from Liverpool, has admitted that playing in the finals in Brazil will be a truly special experience.

"This World Cup is a bit of an obsession for me because it is going to be really special," Reina added. "We'll be playing in the cradle of football."