• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Words And Music Blast From The Past: Old Rocks That Never Rot

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Two great albums that showcase mindzanggling guitar riffs and skills:

Frampton Comes Alive! - Peter Frampton (1976)
Purple Rain - Prince (1984)

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If Elvis is the King, then Bob Dylan must be the Prophet. My favorite Dylan album is Blood On The Tracks (1973).

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
..Bob Dylan must be the Prophet. My favorite Dylan album is Blood On The Tracks (1973).
What does that make the rest of us? Disciples, aka fans:p

Amazing thread, even got groupies here hehehe:biggrin:

On songs xmas, my memorable one was the do they know it's x'mas in aid for for biafra (or liveaid?). Band-aid organised by bob geldolf from group boomtown rats. And who can forget that classic I don't like mondays

Last edited:

tenggiri

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually I think they had their first big hits in the mid 60s first with Spicks and Specs as they were coming over from Australia back to UK and in fact had hits in every decade after that 60s-90s not sure about the 21C though. Also their younger Bro, Andy (he had a big hits I Just want to Be Your Everything & Shadow Dancing) was the first of the Gibbs to pass away, quite tragically at a young age

The Bee Gees only became popular in S'pore in the early seventies and that was the refrence for me. Younger bro Andy was never a part of the trio and yes, he tragically took his own life.

If Elvis is the King, then Bob Dylan must be the Prophet. My favorite Dylan album is Blood On The Tracks (1973).

Infidels, Planet Waves, Live at Budokan (Robert Zimmerman aka Bob Dylan) :smile:

jw5

Loyal
PIANO MAN-BILLY JOEL
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/se9rfWucgeY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/se9rfWucgeY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Woohoo!
Lovely song - Piano Man. One of the greatest songs ever written. Fantastic tune and storyline.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, let's not just remember the guitar men but forget the piano men. Billy Joel, Elton John etc. My favorite Billy Joel song is The Stranger. It's the title song from his 1977 breakthrough album. Mostly remembered for the hit Just The Way You Are, but I still like The Stranger better. Another good one from that album, Vienna. My favorite Elton John song is Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, also a title song, from the 1973 hit album. So much overshadowed by Candle In The Wind (Marilyn Monroe version and Princess Diana version), but I still think Goodbye Yellow Brick Road the quintessential John-Taupin song.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
...favorite Elton John song is Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, also a title song, from the 1973 hit album. ..quintessential John-Taupin song.
My EJ's double CD album of his best hits was borrowed by my kid. Your Song was so poetic.

Disgress a bit on EJ, there used to be this pub in PJ across the causeway. 1 loo was cheekily named elton john, and other chicago bulls. And we all know EJ's bent:p

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My EJ's double CD album of his best hits was borrowed by my kid. Your Song was so poetic.

Disgress a bit on EJ, there used to be this pub in PJ across the causeway. 1 loo was cheekily named elton john, and other chicago bulls. And we all know EJ's bent:p

Yes, Your Song was great. But no, "bent" has nothing to do with artistry or can "bent" take anything away from artistry.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes Frampton was good and that album was huge at the time. But I don't know why whenever I hear Frampton's name I also think of Leif Garrett, teen idol with blonde locks:p

And yes his purpleness was also good.

Two great albums that showcase mindzanggling guitar riffs and skills:

Frampton Comes Alive! - Peter Frampton (1976)
Purple Rain - Prince (1984)

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Apples and oranges really. Elvis had the voice, the moves (well before he became fat) and the charisma (Elvis has left the building:smile:). Dylan is a poet/musicman, a very good one at that, who has influenced generations after him. But saying that so did Elvis, starting with the Beatles.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Last Christmas by Wham and All I want for Christmas by Mariah Carrey just love both videos, for traditional songs White Christmas by Bing Crosby and The Christmas Song by Johnny Mathis.

Btw I used have one of those original Feed The World T-shirts, along with Frankie Goes To Hollywood T-shirts:p
On songs xmas, my memorable one was the do they know it's x'mas in aid for for biafra (or liveaid?). Band-aid organised by bob geldolf from group boomtown rats. And who can forget that classic I don't like mondays

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry did not catch that bit.:smile:

Btw I am surprised no has mentioned David Bowie as yet. Another interesting artiste who broke new ground.

The Bee Gees only became popular in S'pore in the early seventies and that was the refrence for me. Younger bro Andy was never a part of the trio and yes, he tragically took his own life.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Beautiful lyrics glorious melody. Amazing that the bulk of Elton's songs were written with Bernie across the atlantic in LA while Elton remained in UK.

Another famous piano melody man is Burt Bacharach who wrote together with lyricist Hal David.

Oh and Andrew Lloyd Webber is another piano melody man who wrote together with lyricist Tim Rice.

A

Alu862

The American rock band Toto is great too. Sadly they just broke up.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Carpenters another great duo act, pity sister Karen died of bulimia. Other good duos: Hall & Oates, Captain & Tennille, AirSupply

John Denver also quite good but also dead, by an airplane crash.

Glenn 'rhinestone cowboy' Campbell also not bad, Kenny 'gambler' Rogers.

Groups: Stykz, Journey, Reo Speedwagon, Foreigner, Genesis, The Jam, Sex Pistols

jw5

Loyal
Yes, Your Song was great. But no, "bent" has nothing to do with artistry or can "bent" take anything away from artistry.
I love both 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" and "Your Song".
Both fantastic songs with superb melodies and storylines. "Your Song" is one of the most unique songs ever.
Other Elton favourites are "I Guess That's Why They Called It The Blues" and "Levon", which I first heard when sung by Taylor Hicks on American Idol.
Elton is one of the best songwriters of all time, so is Billy Joel. Besides "Piano Man", another favourite of mine is "Allentown".

Last edited:

JWNY

Alfrescian
Loyal
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mq5pLi0huhw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mq5pLi0huhw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

tenggiri

Alfrescian
Loyal

Apples and oranges really. Elvis had the voice, the moves (well before he became fat) and the charisma (Elvis has left the building:smile:). Dylan is a poet/musicman, a very good one at that, who has influenced generations after him. But saying that so did Elvis, starting with the Beatles.

Music is great and universal, yet it is also individual. :smile:

I like this Billy Joel song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxNOCl7S7lU

Too bad i cant embed the video here cos it was disallowed.
Cheers. :smile: