• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Will you sing for the SDP?

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal

Absolutely nothing on body politics, scared to raise issues such as using taxpayers funds to run grassroots organisations such as People's Association, performance of Temasek investments etc.

I recently came across an interesting (to me) question: what is it that kept LTK and CST unmolested all these long years when other opposition politicians are falling down like ten pins in the face of the PAP's ball.

Surely questions on taxpayers funds to run grassroots organisations and the performance of Temasek Investments are a priority for political parties to bring up. In particuar the non-stellar Temasek's performance and its possible implication on budget surplus.

In the WP's website, their list of headings on statements, press releases, news and speeches extending way back to 2006 do not include such issues.

And if a prominent party find it prudent not to engage in such discussions, surely that is the way to longevity in the political arena?

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
If election is only abt for PAP or against PAP, why do you tink opposition parties nid to struggle to find candidates to field contest for barely half the seats? Just get any dick or tom to go up the rally stage to declare they are anti pap, no nid to give speeches just wait at home for 9 days and expect to win? :p

i am willing to hear your answer as to what is the stance then.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He is cheating the electorate. Cos over here in SG, we do not vote for the candidate, we vote for the party. This is because our political make up is different, due to the PAP dominance...that is why we have today landed into primarily deciding which party to vote for or against and not which candidate, exactly. Look at how many MIW coming in through the back doors. I agree that we need to be gracious and forgive cos to err is human and when we err we also hope to be forgiven. However, this mistake is a serious one. YSL by voting for the PAP while at the same time asking for support for the WP totally lacks conviction as person...not wanting to even talk about his lack of politically convictions. I find it very difficult to give any credit to such a politician. If YSL openly offers an unjustified apology and express true remorse then I would say we would give him another chance to prove himself and perhaps eventually forgive him and move on. But he did not.

I try to be as soft and kind as possible, but I have to agree with you and bro Scroobal. Upon re-reading it, what I referred to as an "apology" in the YSL blog wasn't an apology at all. An "awakening" at best, but still unapologetic.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
thread reads SING FOR SDP. how cum become BASHING FOR YSL? LOL!:biggrin:

Exactly, and are you volunteering to play guitar for the SDP Hong Lim year-end countdown? Heard that you're one of the best guitarist around, can play Lennon-McCartney, Simon-Garfunkel, Gibb Brothers etc. :biggrin:

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
i rather sing in the church like xmas carol or busk in orchard rd. :smile: u got to ask my li'l brother leetahsar. he plays the guit. save your breathe. SDP is not there to celebrate. they are there to propagate, sell their stuffs and mislead more to go against the gabramen.:oIo:

everyone wants a peaceful 2009, SDP hopes for bad tidings to the country.

methink

Alfrescian
Loyal
i rather sing in the church like xmas carol or busk in orchard rd. :smile: u got to ask my li'l brother leetahsar. he plays the guit. save your breathe. SDP is not there to celebrate. they are there to propagate, sell their stuffs and mislead more to go against the gabramen.:oIo:

everyone wants a peaceful 2009, SDP hopes for bad tidings to the country.

What's there to celebrate when the country is being misled by an incompetent PM?

The SDP hopes for a more open, transparent society. Are you against this?

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
If election is only abt for PAP or against PAP, why do you tink opposition parties nid to struggle to find candidates to field contest for barely half the seats? Just get any dick or tom to go up the rally stage to declare they are anti pap, no nid to give speeches just wait at home for 9 days and expect to win? :p

Good point and well said, bro.

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
What's there to celebrate when the country is being misled by an incompetent PM?

The SDP hopes for a more open, transparent society. Are you against this?

SDP is the loser who never agrees to their own faults. they only see the splinter in other's eyes missing the log in their own. if they continue thinking they are always right when the peasants think not, then obviously something is amissed here - they had become the law!

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
I recently came across an interesting (to me) question: what is it that kept LTK and CST unmolested all these long years when other opposition politicians are falling down like ten pins in the face of the PAP's ball.

It's the same as to why Guan Yu, Zhang Fei and Zhao Yun are all great generals who contributed to Liu Bei's build-up, yet perceived in different ways. In addition was the fact that Zhang Fei had more strategical mishaps than the other two.

Some may prefer Guan Yu and some prefer Zhao Yun but others would see Zhang Fei as the bravest.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's the same as to why Guan Yu, Zhang Fei and Zhao Yun are all great generals who contributed to Liu Bei's build-up, yet perceived in different ways. In addition was the fact that Zhang Fei had more strategical mishaps than the other two.

Some may prefer Guan Yu and some prefer Zhao Yun but others would see Zhang Fei as the bravest.

I do feel that analogy is inappropriate. LTK, CST and CSJ hardly are sworn brothers in the face of Cao Cao.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
I do feel that analogy is inappropriate. LTK, CST and CSJ hardly are sworn brothers in the face of Cao Cao.

No, I wasn't referring to their "closeness". I was referring to the fact that they were great generals albeit perceived differently. Just like LTK, CST and CSJ are - I wouldn't say "great" but "dedicated" - opposition leaders although not the same.

You can substitute the 3 generals with Cao Cao, Liu Bei and Sun Quan and still get the same meaning.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
No, I wasn't referring to their "closeness". I was referring to the fact that they were great generals albeit perceived differently. Just like LTK, CST and CSJ are - I wouldn't say "great" but "dedicated" - opposition leaders although not the same.

You can substitute the 3 generals with Cao Cao, Liu Bei and Sun Quan and still get the same meaning.

If i follow your substitution, then who are they fighting? Amongst themselves.

I see where you are coming from but i still do not agree. I feel there is another more plausible explanation, albeit unpopular.

Still i will leave this as it is.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
If i follow your substitution, then who are they fighting? Amongst themselves.

I see where you are coming from but i still do not agree. I feel there is another more plausible explanation, albeit unpopular.

Still i will leave this as it is.

Your original question was: "I recently came across an interesting (to me) question: what is it that kept LTK and CST unmolested all these long years when other opposition politicians are falling down like ten pins in the face of the PAP's ball."

That's my answer. Different opposition leaders have taken different approaches. You want to shove the mountain aside, or chip away and conquer the mountain. The former takes bigger efforts and dedication but the latter sees more slow successes.

It is like when you receive a present, you may keep it, give it to someone else, throw it away or use it.

Do not think of CSJ as a fallen-down pin. He has as much support from pro-opposition Singaporeans as LTK and CST, maybe even more. What he lost was the undecided voters but the former itself is already a victory for him given that he has never won a seat.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sadly WP as party did not address the issue either. The impression is that people (voters) can be taken for granted. There should have been strong statement and a party apology rather than give excuse that he was "being truthful" Was he truthful to the voters when he told them to vote WP and criticised the PAP during the hustings. Many people do not join political parties to avoid been bound by party rules.

I have little time for those previously associated with PAP as they really have little idea what they stand for but are keen to be part of politics. Just read their blogs - motherhood statements, akin to beauty queen contest participants purportedly trying the save the world, pouring out inner feelings of internal conflict, championing human rights etc, stating the obvious of govt policies etc. Absolutely nothing on body politics, scared to raise issues such as using taxpayers funds to run grassroots organisations such as People's Association, performance of Temasek investments etc.

I guess it depends on what is their forte. The fact is that opposition parties are already dried of manpower and hence, some of the individuals whom you refer to may not be familiar with Temasek or PA.

Those who do, I believe will say their piece. Apart from the SDP's website that touches quite a bit on transparency, this blog by the WP's Png Eng Huat (http://pngapore.blogspot.com/) also takes the PAP to several tasks.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
With dishonest characters like Yaw Shin Leong in opposition; WP lacking the guts and moral fibre to take the appropriate action against Yaw; academics like Eugene Tan appearing to try to "rationalise" Yaw's dishonesty; and certain quarters in Singapore failing to see anything wrong with Yaw's conduct...well all I can say is that LHL and PAP can sleep peacefully, sheesh:rolleyes:

Sadly WP as party did not address the issue either. The impression is that people (voters) can be taken for granted. There should have been strong statement and a party apology rather than give excuse that he was "being truthful" Was he truthful to the voters when he told them to vote WP and criticised the PAP during the hustings. .

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
I suggest you scroll back and read my entire posts on this issue Bro, because you appear to be under a misconception.

I said at the minimum Yaw Shin leong should have "spoilt" his vote if he did not want to vote for the opposition candidate. He was not obliged to vote for the opposition candidate however at the same time Yaw was obliged to the public electorate (due to the fact that he publicly canvassed for the electorate to vote for him against PAP) not to vote for PAP under any circumstances.

I really cannot understand how come it appears so difficult for some people to understand Yaw Shin Leong's abovementioned obligation to the public electorate? This is an issue of "principle" plain and simple which Yaw has flagrantly breached and hence he is unfit and unsuitable to continue to stand as an opposition politician.

As for "In fact, he (Yaw Shin Leong) also stated clearly in his blog dat he will not automatically vote in favor of his own party candidates", to me I find it incredulous to say the least that Yaw can remain on WP's CEC after making such a ludicrous statement. I mean wtf, wasn't Yaw on WP's CEC which effectively made the decisions as to which WP candidates to field for the GE, what happened to collective responsibility? This yet another nail in Yaw Shin Leong's coffin as an opposition politician. Yaw Shin Leong totally lacks sincerity, integrity and credibility as an opposition politician.

Do you seriously mean dat YSL should give his vote to any opposition candidate? He is not being personal for voting against SDP candidate. In fact, he also stated clearly in his blog dat he will not automatically vote in favor of his own party candidates. Is it YSL's fault for SDP failure to attract suitably talented people who can match up to at least wat PAP has to offer?

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Porifrio

There was I believe a slap on the wrist for YSL and suffice it to say in so much as a certain section of the electorate are calling for his " head" me included, that has to be balanced by a lack of suitable candidates willing to stand. As unsuitable as yours truely is I was also approached for the last GE and that illustrates to me the lack of depth within the opposition ranks. If there is GE 2009 as I believe there will be then whatever distaste I have for YSL will be over taken by the need for candidates. If its GE 2010 then he can go and suck thumb if there are better replacements in the pipeline. Sad fact is if better qualified people do not step forth and serve then we will for ever be led by "blithering buffoons" like YSL.

Locke