• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Will you change job for $500 more ?

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you think you have the ability to "fuck off" whenever you please I don't see what you have to worry about. You get $500 more per month which is $6000 more per year. If you're not happy you can just "fuck off" after a year with money in the bank to a job which pays even more.

I estimated that I will still need to work in this job or that new job for about 5 more yrs or so. If I jump to the new job with extra $500 more per mth, it will be extra bonus for me 5 yrs later. But I am worried I might end up quitting from the new job if it is too stressful kind. That was my concern.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Which new company is this? Search google?

I estimated that I will still need to work in this job or that new job for about 5 more yrs or so. If I jump to the new job with extra $500 more per mth, it will be extra bonus for me 5 yrs later. But I am worried I might end up quitting from the new job if it is too stressful kind. That was my concern.

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Which new company is this? Search google?

Is a well known bank. Usually the mystery of a new job is disclosed within the first 2 days. How I wish can just work there for 1 day before committing, but there is no such practice.
Current one is a big mnc but not bank.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Is a well known bank. Usually the mystery of a new job is disclosed within the first 2 days. How I wish can just work there for 1 day before committing, but there is no such practice.

You should be able to find out more from those who are already there.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

There is no way you can foretell the future. Anything can happen. However, if you want to get ahead in life, you have to depart from your comfort zone and take a few risks.

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You should be able to find out more from those who are already there.

I does not know anyone from that department or even the whole company except the interviewers and HR. Perhaps I should make a trip to that location and try to dig information to see any luck.

Last edited:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Financial institutions are always good. They usually do pay big money, even not initially, the experience you have with them would land you in similar job in the future. If google doesn't reveal anything, there is probably nothing you have to worry about. In general, I distrust American company, American corporate culture are shits to begin with. The employment contract you sign should have allowed for that, probation period doesn't mean just the company assessing your ability, but for you as well to assess if you are suited for the company. Again, like others have pointed out, if you have the ability, you don't have to worry about it.

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There is no way you can foretell the future. Anything can happen. However, if you want to get ahead in life, you have to depart from your comfort zone and take a few risks.

I guess is due to a few failed hopping that caused me to be much more vigilant now. So far it appears that majority of bros here advised me to go for the new job.
I only left with 1 to 2 days to reply them. Have to go into deep thoughts now .

Thanks for everyone that contributed.

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Financial institutions are always good. They usually do pay big money, even not initially, the experience you have with them would land you in similar job in the future. If google doesn't reveal anything, there is probably nothing you have to worry about. In general, I distrust American company, American corporate culture are shits to begin with. The employment contract you sign should have allowed for that, probation period doesn't mean just the company assessing your ability, but for you as well to assess if you are suited for the company. Again, like others have pointed out, if you have the ability, you don't have to worry about it.

I think financial institution is only good for staff who are in the sales / finance side but not the support /backend role le. Yrs back I left a finance inst due to too high influx of that skins..:( and also the money does not match the stress level of the job.
I do agree American mnc sucks.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
I guess is due to a few failed hopping that caused me to be much more vigilant now. So far it appears that majority of bros here advised me to go for the new job.
I only left with 1 to 2 days to reply them. Have to go into deep thoughts now .

Thanks for everyone that contributed.

Deep thought will not help unless you have additional information to process. What you need to do is to quickly get some inside info regarding what the work environment is like.

When I first changed jobs, I was interviewed by my potential boss who was a very nice man. After the interview, I really looked forward to working for him. I was overjoyed when I was selected.

The day I started work, he told me that he would be leaving at the end of the month.

The guy who took over was an arsehole but he was only around for a few months before he too moved on. Guess what!... they offered me my boss's job. I took it and my salary jumped another $1000.

Like I said you can never tell how things will pan out. However, one thing is certain. If you don't grab opportunities, you will get nowhere. Sit in your comfort zone for too long and you'll find one day that your job has disappeared and you're too old and nobody else wants you. That's how the PMETs end up driving taxis or becoming security guards.

My recommendation has been consistent all along... set goals to become financially independent before you reach 45. Once you meet this goal, you don't have to worry about jobs anymore.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is where you are wrong, compared to similar fields, backend/support roles in financial institution get paid more compared to other industry. Maybe not, compared to sales/finance but would be more compared to others. They are also willing to pay more for security, backend hardware etc. I'm assuming you are in IT. Perhaps the situation is not the same in Singapore as it is here.

I think financial institution is only good for staff who are in the sales / finance side but not the support /backend role le. Yrs back I left a finance inst due to too high influx of that skins..:( and also the money does not match the stress level of the job.
I do agree American mnc sucks.

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Deep thought will not help unless you have additional information to process. What you need to do is to quickly get some inside info regarding what the work environment is like.

When I first changed jobs, I was interviewed by my potential boss who was a very nice man. After the interview, I really looked forward to working for him. I was overjoyed when I was selected.

The day I started work, he told me that he would be leaving at the end of the month.

The guy who took over was an arsehole but he was only around for a few months before he too moved on. Guess what!... they offered me my boss's job. I took it and my salary jumped another $1000.

Like I said you can never tell how things will pan out. However, one thing is certain. If you don't grab opportunities, you will get nowhere. Sit in your comfort zone for too long and you'll find one day that your job has disappeared and you're too old and nobody else wants you. That's how the PMETs end up driving taxis or becoming security guards.

My recommendation has been consistent all along... set goals to become financially independent before you reach 45. Once you meet this goal, you don't have to worry about jobs anymore.

Gotcha ! true that is real hard to process without having any bit of inside info.

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That is where you are wrong, compared to similar fields, backend/support roles in financial institution get paid more compared to other industry. Maybe not, compared to sales/finance but would be more compared to others. They are also willing to pay more for security, backend hardware etc. I'm assuming you are in IT. Perhaps the situation is not the same in Singapore as it is here.

They like to throw in fanciful job and functional titles and 13th mth wages is usually paid out every mth to make it look bigger.

potter

Alfrescian
Loyal
Work in FI better but quite challenging. Most impt, more SYT. :biggrin: good luck!

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you are looking at a 5 year time frame, then things could easily change in management. I have been in organisations where the new bosses come in almost yearly. When that happens they bring in a new team.

That is the just the way things are.

JossSticksCandleWax

Alfrescian
Loyal
Moving on to a new company will require you at least 6 months to a year to get comfortable, feel your way around the office politics etc. All this for just $500 extra per month ?

I say stick to your current job.

How is $500 going to make a difference in your life ?

If you are already comfortable in your current job and I assume it has relatively short working hours ..... I suggest you use your free time after work to embark on a business or some kind of venture where it can spring board you to something more lucrative.

If you are in IT, then write some apps. Doing this has a much higher upside then depending on a salary.

nutbush

Alfrescian
Loyal
if i am you, i will not change for $500. it's more important establishing your own network in your current job. build good working relationship is more important than the mere $500 increase in your salary. last time, when i was in 30, i was offered $1k more and i jump ship, bad mistake i made...though with my outgoing character, i was still in touch with a director from my previous job, he was my job referee then. nowadays, i will meet him for lunch and so on.

If you have been working in a job for 1 year pay is $3500, not so siong also not relax type, people ok ok, boss ok ok, will you take the risk to take up another job that offers $4k per mth, but you are not sure how the jobs and people gonna be like ?
Can forget about career prospects etc, cos I am just there to earn enough $ and fuck off in near future.

CheeByeKiaTonyChat

Alfrescian
Loyal
if i am you, i will not change for $500. it's more important establishing your own network in your current job. build good working relationship is more important than the mere $500 increase in your salary. last time, when i was in 30, i was offered $1k more and i jump ship, bad mistake i made...though with my outgoing character, i was still in touch with a director from my previous job, he was my job referee then. nowadays, i will meet him for lunch and so on.

Your outgoing character didn't get you very far with Ho Kum Hean.

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Moving on to a new company will require you at least 6 months to a year to get comfortable, feel your way around the office politics etc. All this for just $500 extra per month ?

I say stick to your current job.

How is $500 going to make a difference in your life ?

If you are already comfortable in your current job and I assume it has relatively short working hours ..... I suggest you use your free time after work to embark on a business or some kind of venture where it can spring board you to something more lucrative.

If you are in IT, then write some apps. Doing this has a much higher upside then depending on a salary.

Hi. I did not managed to get any inside info..after thinking over the probability of walking into a hell hole, I called HR and said thanks for the offer and asked her to thank my interviewer. I was thinking along the line that I have worked here for 11 mths, soon there will be salary review, so I decided to chicken out .If I had intention for career growth, I will move on as my current job does not provide this opportunity as far as I know for now. Since my stay will not be too long, probably 5 yrs or so, hopefully I can strike big 4D soon.
Thanks for your suggestions.