• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why Would Anyone Buy French Cars or Products? Stupid?

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The jews recommended to the SAF and actually conned Keng Swee and all the other gabra SAF senior staff. The AMX-13 is not the correct armour vehicle for S'pore. But the Jews bought 400 of the AMX-13s because at that time, France was the only country willing to sell them any armour. They used the AMX on the 6 day war and discovered the thing was a death trap. Gun too weak to defeat T-55 and armour too light. SO, how to get rid of them? Why, just con the SAF into buying them, which we did. The correct vehicle for us is a wheeled AFV. 4 X or 6X. Armed with a 90mm or 105mm low recoil gun. The SIBMAS would have been a better fit or something smaller. Like a Panhard.
SAF not meant to fight the Vietcong. So cannot defeat T55 or the Chinese copy Type 62 are not in saf consideration. Surely can overwhelm the light english tanks in the north. I seen my SM1 crews in action at the armour simulators in Gedong. 8/10 time first shot already hit targets. The SM1 simulators dunno can convert to Leo2 or not? There were talks of bolting reactive armour to SM1 in time of conflict but I never see it even once during the course of NS and reservist.
As for changing to US engine and transmission must be due to economy of scale. And the French are well known to increase the price of spares after sales of equipment.

duluxe

Alfrescian
Loyal
You must be daft when you say oil under your feet is not god given. And given to most muslims too.

And truth be told, if they made the Proton Aeroback brand new now, I would not hesitate to buy it.

Oil under the feet of arabs and camels will still be oil under the feet till the first amdk successful harvested oil in 1859, 100% not your arab gene. I must be brutally honest to let you know Allah's power is limited.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
SAF not meant to fight the Vietcong. So cannot defeat T55 or the Chinese copy Type 62 are not in saf consideration. Surely can overwhelm the light english tanks in the north. I seen my SM1 crews in action at the armour simulators in Gedong. 8/10 time first shot already hit targets. The SM1 simulators dunno can convert to Leo2 or not? There were talks of bolting reactive armour to SM1 in time of conflict but I never see it even once during the course of NS and reservist.
As for changing to US engine and transmission must be due to economy of scale. And the French are well known to increase the price of spares after sales of equipment.

Definitely, the shortcoming of the AMX vis a vis Vietnam armour like T-55/54, PT-76, and captured American tanks was a main concern in my time. This was why they spend millions of $ and a crash program to develop the APFSDS round for the AMX. After they got the round, then the AMX could defeat all Vietnamese armour at that time, until they got the T-90. AMX 75mm gun is well known for its accuracy. I have stated here that its the best gun under 100mm anywhere in the world. On any range in Area D, an original AMX and not even the SM1 can hit any target with great accuracy. The Leo2 has their own tank simulators. The switch to a US transmission and engine for the SM1 is not for spares reason. Its for compatibility with the M113 fleet.