• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Where is the most happening place in Penang Island ?

LexLuthor

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm planning for a trip to Penang when coming down from the Thai border. This is my first time in Penang.

Can anyone laojiao suggest a cheap and good hotel that is near interesting places ? By interesting, I mean eateries and shopping malls.

Thank you.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm planning for a trip to Penang when coming down from the Thai border. This is my first time in Penang.

Can anyone laojiao suggest a cheap and good hotel that is near interesting places ? By interesting, I mean eateries and shopping malls.

Thank you.

Just hang around the Batu Ferringhi beach area, and maybe make day visits to the snake temple and other usual touristy attractions.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
have shaved ice kacang at any restaurant. sure lau sai. the safest makan is at hotel buffet. they filter the water and ensure no e. coli nor other pathogen before freezing it for ice.

LexLuthor

Alfrescian
Loyal
No joke ?
have shaved ice kacang at any restaurant. sure lau sai. the safest makan is at hotel buffet. they filter the water and ensure no e. coli nor other pathogen before freezing it for ice.

Penang still so backward ah ? Tap water cannot drink ah ?

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Thank you.
Remember to try the best Char Kway Teow in Penang, according to this sinkie YouTuber.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
more hygienic if restaurants boil tap water before freezing it for ice, which imo will not happen as it’s too time consuming and costly.

Maybe it's Penang or some unhygienic eatery. I had chendol from a roadside stall in Malacca, nothing wrong. :biggrin:

LexLuthor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Remember to try the best Char Kway Teow in Penang, according to this sinkie YouTuber.

Screenshot_2.jpg

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Maybe it's Penang or some unhygienic eatery. I had chendol from a roadside stall in Malacca, nothing wrong. :biggrin:
my travel companions were ok with the overrated cendol of malacca. but all my companions kena lau sai with ice kacang in penang. i had hot dessert so was fine. no freshly cut fruit and drinks with ice for me when i’m in ml. same in india.

superpower

Alfrescian
Loyal
1. Best cendol in Penang - Jalan Penang
Screenshot 2023-10-27 at 12.28.26 PM.png

2. Best char kuay teow in Penang - Siam Road, Michelin Bib. Beware, long queue, sold out by 1pm.
Screenshot 2023-10-27 at 12.30.22 PM.png

3. Seven Clan Jetties, Weld Quay, UNESCO World Heritage Site
Screenshot 2023-10-27 at 12.32.27 PM.png

4. George Town Street Art, Armenian Street. UNESCO World Heritage Site
Screenshot 2023-10-27 at 12.33.45 PM.png

5. The Blue Mansion, Lebuh Letih. UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Screenshot 2023-10-27 at 12.35.25 PM.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-27 at 12.32.27 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-27 at 12.32.27 PM.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 35

superpower

Alfrescian
Loyal
I personally like the Selamat Rd char kway teow. Founded by Madam Soon in the '70s. Always wears a red hat, very bad tempered. She tells you to sit down, you sit down. Don't want to wait, get out. Minimum lunch time wait is 45 min to 1 hr.

All the good char kway teow in Penang are fried over a charcoal fire. That's what you don't get in Singapore.

Screenshot 2023-10-27 at 12.43.38 PM.png

Last edited:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
my travel companions were ok with the overrated cendol of malacca. but all my companions kena lau sai with ice kacang in penang. i had hot dessert so was fine. no freshly cut fruit and drinks with ice for me when i’m in ml. same in india.

Protip: when eating at risky places/countries, consume activated charcoal tablets. Do that everyday even if you feel okay.

superpower

Alfrescian
Loyal
Any 4 star tourist hotel in Georgetown will do. If you like the beach, then choose a nice resort like ParkRoyal or Shangri-la along Batu Ferringhi beach.