• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Touching Moments in Tokyo Olympics 2020

Baimi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

High jumpers Tamberi, Barshim agree to share gold medal in touching moment​

Gianmarco Tamberi of Team Italy and Mutaz Essa Barshim of Team Qatar celebrate after agreeing to share gold in the Men's High Jump Final on day nine of the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games at Olympic Stadium on August 01, 2021 in To …
Expand
The Italian high jumper leaped into his rival's arms, then belly-flopped onto the hard track, rolled around a few times and screamed.
Gianmarco Tamberi was just getting warmed up, too.

It's not every day you tie your good friend for gold.

Tamberi and Mutaz Barshim of Qatar agreed to the tie Sunday at the Tokyo Games in a competition settled not by clearing the top height but through a subtle nod.

Edge definitely to Tamberi, though, for the degree of difficulty in celebrations. That's not even counting all the hugs and kisses he delivered — or all of the people he jumped into the arms of.

He was just that excited. This was that crazy of an ending.

"I still can’t believe it happened," Tamberi said. "Sharing with a friend is even more beautiful. ... It was just magical."

In a huddle with track officials, the athletes were given the option to settle the tie with a jump-off.

Barshim had a better idea: How about two golds?

The official said that was possible.

Barshim nodded and Tamberi instantly accepted, slapping Barshim's hand and jumping into his arms. It would be far from his last celebration.

"For me, coming here, I know for a fact that for the performance I did, I deserve that gold," Barshim said. "He did the same thing, so I know he deserved that gold."

It stressed sportsmanship, too — or so they hope. It also adds to Barshim's Olympic medal collection, pairing nicely with silver in Rio and another medal at the 2012 London Games.

"This is beyond sport," Barshim said. "This is the message we deliver to the young generation."

RELATED: US shot putter Raven Saunders makes 'X' in podium pose after winning silver

Both high jumpers were perfect until the bar was set to the Olympic-record height of 2.39 meters (7 feet, 10 inches). Each missed three times.

Funny, they actually talked about this sort of situation before. Not in great detail, though.

"We just said, ‘Imagine,’" Barshim recalled. "Today, it happened."

When Italian sprinter Marcell Jacobs surprisingly won the 100 meters a few minutes later, there was Tamberi to greet him. Not so much as greet him as celebrate by jumping into the sprinter’s arms and curling his own arm around Jacobs’ bald head.

"I was in ecstasy. My heart was exploding," Tamberi said. "I was just full of emotions and I just screamed at him before he got in the blocks and I just supported him. I’m the captain of the national team so I just felt to do something."

Tamberi has kept a cast for five years — a reminder of his broken ankle just before Rio. He was in his best shape, too, which forced him to watch the Rio Games. When it came off, he wrote on it "Road to Tokyo 2020." Then, he crossed out 2020 after the pandemic led to a postponement and wrote in red, "2021."

"I said to myself that day, ‘I want to be back in Tokyo and I want to fight for the gold medal,’" Tamberi said.

They appeared to have all sorts of fun during a competition in which Maksim Nedasekau of Belarus earned bronze. Tamberi launched an imaginary jump shot after clearing a height.

Swish.

Barshim was the epitome of cool in shades that kept falling off after his jumps. One time, he even swatted them away after a successful leap.

They broke.

"I've got 50 pairs," Barshim said.

Now, one gold.

Another for his buddy, too.

"He’s one of my best friends. Not only on the track but outside of the track," Barshim said. "We’re always together almost. True spirit, sportsmen spirit, coming here and delivering this message.

"Appreciate what he's done, he appreciates what I’ve done. This is amazing."

Baimi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Amos, silver medallist at London 2012 behind the brilliant David Rudisha, had qualified fastest through to the semi-finals, but tumbled to miss out on a bid for another Olympic medal. Jewett and the Botswana middle-distance runner jogged to the finish line together after picking themselves up off the track. You want it? We have it. Stream every Olympic event live on discovery+​

USA's Isaiah Jewett (L) and Botswana's Nijel Amos react after falling on the track while competing in the men's 800m semi-finals during the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games at the Olympic Stadium in Tokyo on August 1, 2021. (Photo by Antonin THUILLIER / AFP) (

USA's Isaiah Jewett (L) and Botswana's Nijel Amos react after falling on the track while competing in the men's 800m semi-finals during the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games at the Olympic Stadium in Tokyo on August 1, 2021

Medal favourite Nijel Amos dramatically tumbled out of the semi-finals of the men's 800 metres at Tokyo 2020.
The London 2012 silver medallist collided with America's Isaiah Jewett with less than 200 metres left to run, leaving the pair sprawled on the inside of the track.
The Botswana middle-distance runner had been tipped to succeed the great David Rudisha as the victor over two laps of the Olympic track.
World champion Hassan overcomes dramatic fall to qualify for 1500m semis
TOKYO 2020
WORLD CHAMPION HASSAN OVERCOMES DRAMATIC FALL TO QUALIFY FOR 1500M SEMIS
2 HOURS AGO

In a mark of respect, the pair, out of contention for qualification, dusted themselves off to jog over the line together.
https://www.sammyboy.com/"https:
Ferguson Rotich stayed clear of the collision and qualified fastest through to the final from the third semi-final in a time of 1:44.04.
Great Britain's Elliot GIles was also part of the last semi-final but narrowly missed out, pushed out by Amel Tuka of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Giles' time of 1:44.74 was too slow to secure him a spot as a fastest loser.
It was bitter disappointment for Amos and Jewett, though, having been unable to contest a tight finish.

Amos (r.) und Jewett geben sich nach dem Sturz über 800 m die Hand

Image credit: Eurosport
Their joining of arms and jog for the line showed remarkable sportsmanship after Amos had inadvertently caught the American's heels as they began to accelerate around the final bend

Baimi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
USA's Isaiah Jewett (L) and Botswana's Nijel Amos react after falling on the track while competing in the men's 800m semi-finals during the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games at the Olympic Stadium in Tokyo on August 1, 2021. (Photo by Antonin THUILLIER / AFP) (

USA's Isaiah Jewett (L) and Botswana's Nijel Amos react after falling on the track while competing in the men's 800m semi-finals during the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games at the Olympic Stadium in Tokyo on August 1, 2021

Medal favourite Nijel Amos dramatically tumbled out of the semi-finals of the men's 800 metres at Tokyo 2020.
The London 2012 silver medallist collided with America's Isaiah Jewett with less than 200 metres left to run, leaving the pair sprawled on the inside of the track.
The Botswana middle-distance runner had been tipped to succeed the great David Rudisha as the victor over two laps of the Olympic track.
TOKYO 2020
2 HOURS AGO

In a mark of respect, the pair, out of contention for qualification, dusted themselves off to jog over the line together.
https://www.sammyboy.com/"https://www.google.com/url?ct=abg&q=https://www.google.com/adsense/support/bin/request.py?contact=abg_afc&url=https://www.eurosport.com/athletics/tokyo-2020/2021/tokyo-2020-800m-favourite-nijel-amos-collides-with-isaiah-jewett-in-semi-final-to-miss-out-on-olympi_sto8463907/story.shtml&gl=SG&hl=en&client=ca-pub-7907994111475846&ai0=BQc5Gk2EHYaLdB5SAoQOKsZGYA-WZoIRGAAAAEAEg3JPDaTgAWI6GwrWDBGC_BbIBEXd3dy5ldXJvc3BvcnQuY29tugEJZ2ZwX2ltYWdlyAEJ2gGvAWh0dHBzOi8vd3d3LmV1cm9zcG9ydC5jb20vYXRobGV0aWNzL3Rva3lvLTIwMjAvMjAyMS90b2t5by0yMDIwLTgwMG0tZmF2b3VyaXRlLW5pamVsLWFtb3MtY29sbGlkZXMtd2l0aC1pc2FpYWgtamV3ZXR0LWluLXNlbWktZmluYWwtdG8tbWlzcy1vdXQtb24tb2x5bXBpX3N0bzg0NjM5MDcvc3Rvcnkuc2h0bWzAAgLgAgDqAjUyMTcyNTU4NTQ3My9jb20vbW9iaWxlLXdlYi9hcnRpY2xlL2Jhbm5lci1zcG9uc29yc2hpcPgC_NEekAOwCZgDyAaoAwHQBJBO4AQB0gUGEOSy67EVoAZQ2AYCiAcBkAcCqAfs1RuoB_PRG6gHltgbqAeqm7EC2AcA4AcewAgB0ggGCAAQAhgd2AgCgAoFmAsBgAwB0BUBgBcB&usg=AFQjCNHkcEkyy8wmBTix_ZzzDCjEDQpUxA"
Ferguson Rotich stayed clear of the collision and qualified fastest through to the final from the third semi-final in a time of 1:44.04.
Great Britain's Elliot GIles was also part of the last semi-final but narrowly missed out, pushed out by Amel Tuka of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
It was bitter disappointment for Amos and Jewett, though, having been unable to contest a tight finish.

Their joining of arms and jog for the line showed remarkable sportsmanship after Amos had inadvertently caught the American's heels as they began to accelerate around the final bend

Baimi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Screenshot_20210802-113522_CNA.jpg

SINGAPORE: Yu Mengyu is still none the wiser when it comes to her newly found popularity
“Have I (become a household name?) I don’t think so. I didn’t really pay too much attention to what’s said online,” she told CNA in an interview on Saturday (Jul 31).
“What I know is that I’ve had a lot more followers on Instagram,” she added with a laugh.
“I’m very happy that more people can get to know me and understand me.”
The 31-year-old’s fourth-placed finish at the Tokyo Olympics women’s singles event has captured the hearts and minds of many.
But more importantly, it is her resolute fighting spirit against some of the world's top players that has truly resonated with a lot of people.
“I was very surprised (with the reaction) because since the competition started I never really paid much attention to what was in the media.
"But after that last match of the singles competition, a lot of people sent me messages - including some of my friends - and that’s when I went to look at Instagram and Facebook,” she said.
“Before that I wanted to distract myself and not think too much about the competition so I only watched make-up videos and movies online!”
NEVER GIVING UP
It is Thursday morning, Jul 29.
The Olympic Games table tennis women’s singles semi-finals at the Tokyo Metropolitan Gymnasium.

There is a collective hush in an already muted arena as Yu crumples to the ground.
The Singaporean - seeded 47th - is already three games down and now 1-4 down in the fourth against Chinese world number 1 - Chen Meng.
Things are not looking good
Yet minutes later, Yu picks herself up gingerly from the floor. She reels off a number of points to draw level with her opponent.
But Chen would eventually pull away and win the match.
In the post-match interview after her defeat, Yu would reveal that she suffered a pulled thigh muscle. “It’s nothing,” she added.
Later that night, Yu steps up to the table again, and stretches Japan’s Mima Ito, who is ranked third in the world, in the bronze medal match, before eventually succumbing 4-1.
Plagued by a host of injuries over the last few years, most notably to her shoulder and her waist, Yu came close to calling it quits previously.
“It was the support of my family that kept me going, and also the guidance and help of STTA (Singapore Table Tennis Association), that gave me the hope to go on,” she explained
And heading into the Olympics, her goal was not to win but to be able to compete on the world's biggest sporting arena.
“When I arrived here, my mindset was very simple - to be able to compete at the Olympic Games was already a win,” she said.
“There was no pressure on me coming into these Games because of my injuries. I am already very grateful just to be able to compete at the Olympic Games
And with the pressure off, Yu soared.
She notched a 4-0 win against Portugal's Shao Jieni early in the tournament, before upsetting Chinese Taipei’s world number 8 Cheng I-Ching.
In the quarter-finals, the Singaporean notched her biggest upset yet, beating Japan’s fifth seed Kasumi Ishikawa 4-1
“(I felt this approach did) help. Instead of having other thoughts in my mind, I was more focused and could compete well in each match,” said Yu.

LordElrond

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Is this touching? I wanted to post this on Olympic ChioBus thread but in the end decided it is better to stay here
72C05537-4E62-4C2B-A169-EF44A1376902.png

Baimi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
China bdaminton woman double beaten by Indonesian. This time the Chinese woman never shouted F...F... maybe she was losing, no energy to shout.
But one touching moment, the Indonesian girl was crying uncontrollably after winning the gold medal and the China pair went to hug her.

LordElrond

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
USA's Isaiah Jewett (L) and Botswana's Nijel Amos react after falling on the track while competing in the men's 800m semi-finals during the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games at the Olympic Stadium in Tokyo on August 1, 2021. (Photo by Antonin THUILLIER / AFP) ('s Isaiah Jewett (L) and Botswana's Nijel Amos react after falling on the track while competing in the men's 800m semi-finals during the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games at the Olympic Stadium in Tokyo on August 1, 2021. (Photo by Antonin THUILLIER / AFP) (

TOKYO 2020
2 HOURS AGO

https://www.sammyboy.com/"https://www.google.com/url?ct=abg&q=https://www.google.com/adsense/support/bin/request.py?contact=abg_afc&url=https://www.eurosport.com/athletics/tokyo-2020/2021/tokyo-2020-800m-favourite-nijel-amos-collides-with-isaiah-jewett-in-semi-final-to-miss-out-on-olympi_sto8463907/story.shtml&gl=SG&hl=en&client=ca-pub-7907994111475846&ai0=BQc5Gk2EHYaLdB5SAoQOKsZGYA-WZoIRGAAAAEAEg3JPDaTgAWI6GwrWDBGC_BbIBEXd3dy5ldXJvc3BvcnQuY29tugEJZ2ZwX2ltYWdlyAEJ2gGvAWh0dHBzOi8vd3d3LmV1cm9zcG9ydC5jb20vYXRobGV0aWNzL3Rva3lvLTIwMjAvMjAyMS90b2t5by0yMDIwLTgwMG0tZmF2b3VyaXRlLW5pamVsLWFtb3MtY29sbGlkZXMtd2l0aC1pc2FpYWgtamV3ZXR0LWluLXNlbWktZmluYWwtdG8tbWlzcy1vdXQtb24tb2x5bXBpX3N0bzg0NjM5MDcvc3Rvcnkuc2h0bWzAAgLgAgDqAjUyMTcyNTU4NTQ3My9jb20vbW9iaWxlLXdlYi9hcnRpY2xlL2Jhbm5lci1zcG9uc29yc2hpcPgC_NEekAOwCZgDyAaoAwHQBJBO4AQB0gUGEOSy67EVoAZQ2AYCiAcBkAcCqAfs1RuoB_PRG6gHltgbqAeqm7EC2AcA4AcewAgB0ggGCAAQAhgd2AgCgAoFmAsBgAwB0BUBgBcB&usg=AFQjCNHkcEkyy8wmBTix_ZzzDCjEDQpUxA"

The 2 bros really gentlemen, I couldn’t figure out who tripped who… but it did not matter

LordElrond

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The track was drenched and slippery, the participant at the outermost lane slipped and fell. But it was she who came over to console the Ukrainian girl who was glued to the track looking at the big screen, hoping to qualify by time. In the end she did qualify. But it was touching to
46454B87-52CB-46A6-9D96-8A4D222889DB.jpeg
95360465-1D71-4A1D-BF69-7CD4CD266970.jpeg
see the other women who did not qualify coming over to console my favourite Ukrainian athlete Tkachuk…. “Not the fastest, but simply the cutest”
27E98FB1-6A8A-40F9-B43D-215190E79BE4.png
54AAFF0F-35DD-4913-99D1-629CE453D45B.png
4F5E9C43-5AAB-4D29-83F3-248AF264F908.png

Last edited:

Baimi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
We have seen many times Sun Yinsha and Mina Ito fighting it out in the table tennis many times, most recent the Tokyo Olympics Q final but in real life these 2 girls are best of friends.