• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

TKPS Deaths - MOE COI?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Have you Chaired COI before?

I have chaired a BOI before... in the army. It was the biggest waste of 4 days of my life.

It was to determine the cause of some idiot trying to kill himself.

My recommendation was that "shit happens...people get depressed.". The rest of the board said that finding was not acceptable.

I then recommended that every enlistee be sent for a psychological test to determine their degree of depression and be exempted from NS if they were. That wasn't allowed to be put in writing either.

In the end the recommendation was that Platoon commanders should interview their men every 2 weeks instead of monthly and the men should be made to sign a declaration that they were "happy".

Tuayapeh

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The argument can be made that the human error was in putting those kids in harm's way by allowing them participate in an activity that would expose them to the wrath of mother nature.

The issue of "risk management" gets taken more to the point of ridiculousness as a country advances. The result of this is the emergence of a soft society where nothing can be done without a huge amount of red tape.

It's a silly argument that it's human error when the cause is done by nature . In that case all those country that have nature disaster like typhoo , tsunami , earthquake ...ect should all blame their government for letting them live in an area full of nature disaster :wink:

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The argument can be made that the human error was in putting those kids in harm's way by allowing them participate in an activity that would expose them to the wrath of mother nature.

The issue of "risk management" gets taken more to the point of ridiculousness as a country advances. The result of this is the emergence of a soft society where nothing can be done without a huge amount of red tape.

30 years ago Singapore would not be having this discussion, not because there was no internet but because in those days, everyone had a different mindset about what an "accident" meant.

You made valid points. It is up to the COI to determine and recommend because we don't know what are MOE's directives, orders, etc.

Did TKPS breach any MOE Directives to allow students to go on such excursions?

Did TKPS breach MOE Orders by not having the required Teachers/Student ratio?

Etc

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's a silly argument that it's human error when the cause is done by nature . In that case all those country that have nature disaster like typhoo , tsunami , earthquake ...ect should all blame their government for letting them live in an area full of nature disaster :wink:

You fail to see what others can see.

you suffer from myopia

kukubird59

Alfrescian
Loyal
hahaha.....yes papee is a most irresponsible government.....vote them out the next GE
every year, a few hundred pple died on the roads.......yet there are no COIs and they are building more roads and issuing more COEs.....
there should have been an outright banning of all vehicles on the roads as they are menace to all....young and old...
this is not act of GOD....so don't tell me it cannot be be done hor.....

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
TracyTan could well be the insurer for the school teachers and children... huge payout for so many deaths. So, need COI to mitigate premium payout.

Tuayapeh

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The next thing someone going to kpkb private company that organize diving trips or any adventure trips when nature strikes again :wink:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
On the subject of risk management I've just returned from Bangkok.

The traffic there is chaotic but there is almost zero road rage. You see whole families on motorbikes with no helmets. Some mothers are carrying 3 month old babies on pillion sitting side saddle.

By right there should be carnage but I did not come across a single accident during my whole week there. It's because the inherent danger has heightened the survival instincts of all road users. There's no such thing as "right of way" there. It's more like "I need all my wits to survive".

The net result is society where survival skills are honed to a far higher degree.

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have chaired a BOI before... in the army. It was the biggest waste of 4 days of my life.

It was to determine the cause of some idiot trying to kill himself.

My recommendation was that "shit happens...people get depressed.". The rest of the board said that finding was not acceptable.

I then recommended that every enlistee be sent for a psychological test to determine their degree of depression and be exempted from NS if they were. That wasn't allowed to be put in writing either.

In the end the recommendation was that Platoon commanders should interview their men every 2 weeks instead of monthly and the men should be made to sign a declaration that they were "happy".

BOI is not COI

Tuayapeh

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
On the subject of risk management I've just returned from Bangkok.

The traffic there is chaotic but there is almost zero road rage. You see whole families on motorbikes with no helmets. Some mothers are carrying 3 month old babies on pillion sitting side saddle.

By right there should be carnage but I did not come across a single accident during my whole week there. It's because the inherent danger has heightened the survival instincts of all road users. There's no such thing as "right of way" there. It's more like "I need all my wits to survive".

The net result is society where survival skills are honed to a far higher degree.

Now you know why Singapore are also refer as nanny state ? Those anti-PAPs actucally wants the government to control their every move at the same time they want to criticize the government for being busybody :wink: