• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

things you miss from the past?

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Correct! Spent 6 good years there.

First stall at the tuckshop sold Muslim food. Indian rojak included. Last stall sold drinks and titbits. Still remember the stall that sold noodles? Long queue all the time. Coz many of us queued up for its soup after finishing the noodles. Taking 6-9 rounds of soup was the norm. Another stall in the middle sold cheng thng etc etc.

At the back of Methodist Book Room, hamtam bola during recess? 4-5 decades ago! Mr Khoo and later Mrs Lim were principals then.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes. I took that CSS 3 from the bus stop outside the Supreme House all the way to Chancery Lane where I will get off and walked to ACS. I generally prefer to take CSS 3 because the bus pass by Anderson Secondary School and Raffles Girls Secondary School, and I get the chance to see a few girls from those schools. The alternative was to take SBS 182 but that one went along Scotts Road and then Newton Circus, if I recall but no girls to see.

That's right. Anderson gals more chio than Raffles. Still recall SBS 182.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
First stall at the tuckshop sold Muslim food. Indian rojak included. Last stall sold drinks and titbits. Still remember the stall that sold noodles? Long queue all the time. Coz many of us queued up for its soup after finishing the noodles. Taking 6-9 rounds of soup was the norm. Another stall in the middle sold cheng thng etc etc.

At the back of Methodist Book Room, hamtam bola during recess? 4-5 decades ago! Mr Khoo and later Mrs Lim were principals then.

Are you from "The Best is yet to Be" ??

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No sir! I was from "The Worse Has Yet To Come'. Still waiting.

There is no such thing as "The Worse has Yet to Come"
You are just being your usual humble streetwise gentleman.

How is our friend, BL, these days?

By the way, what was the last rank for some of these fellas: BL, HCH, HSK, Leo Y?

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There is no such thing as "The Worse has Yet to Come"
You are just being your usual humble streetwise gentleman.

How is our friend, BL, these days?

By the way, what was the last rank for some of these fellas: BL, HCH, HSK, Leo Y?

BL's doing well leh. Now made PS PMO and MND.

Recall BL's last rank SAC. Maybe even DC. HCH left early in his career. At least Supt. HSK also left early. Minimum Supt. Could be AC. Leo maybe AC.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
BL's doing well leh. Now made PS PMO and MND.

Recall BL's last rank SAC. Maybe even DC. HCH left early in his career. At least Supt. HSK also left early. Minimum Supt. Could be AC. Leo maybe AC.

Thank you.
I am not sure, since since I was no longer residing in SG, but BL could have been at least SAC, may be DC?
Leo could have been CP.

verlioux

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hehehe. Kevin Keegan was the poster boy in Shoot! but expensive magazine. The other magazine invested is No. 1 magazine. :smile:

Yep, No.1 was the must-have mag for those of us heavily into UK-based bands/music - Duran, Kajagoogoo, Thompson Twins, Depeche....Smash Hits came along later but No.1 was always No.1 :smile:

Also, those $2 pirated cassette tapes, we couldn't afford the "proper" cassettes (they cost around $8-10 or something) so had to rely on these like crazy. You could buy them from far east plaza or a stall near Cathay, the guy had a limp and used a long stick to take down the ones you wanted from the wall

Rushwind

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yes. I remember the noodle stalls. I think there were two. One sold "sek mee" (the big fat yellow noodles) with a few slices of fish cake and slapped with the chilli sauce if you are having it dry. One bowl was going for 20 cents or 30 cents and you can buy one whole fish cake for 20 cents. This stall is closer to the drinks and titbits stall end and i think is located next to the cup drink stall.

The other noodle stall is located somewhere in the middle, and the noodle served is "mee kia". This one comes with char siew, if I recall correctly, and the stall was manned by 2 middle-aged ladies.

Of course, the soup was what kept us boys going to the stalls. A few of us even got a earful from the stall owners for depleting their soup stock! But then we just grinned sheepishly because the soup was heavenly to us then.

I remember the muslim stall though. It didn't occur to me then that it was indian rojak as I was also wondering what those bits and pieces were. In the end, I never got to eat it because I just don't know how to order. Me was blur sotong.

During my time, the principal was Mrs Lim Chew Swee. Senior Assistants were Mr Fong Seng Narp, Mrs Christina Yap and Mr Lim Keng Boon. Met Mr Lim Keng Boon's daugther in NUS when she was doing her chemical engineering course in the early 1990s.

Yes. The Methodist Book Room. I usually go inside there to get the air con on a hot day!

Last edited:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hehehe. Yes listen to everything. Music was like the biggest invention since slice bread. Grew up in a strange environment, listen to English (including Casey Jones,think was FM 90.5) Hokkien, Cantonese, Melayu and even Tamil songs. Later Class 95.0 and 93.3 took over. There was even a time I tune in to Zoo 100, a Batam based 24 hour radio station.

Radio & Redifussion was the one stop media centre back then... I used to go all the way to Chong Pang Village outside Naval Base my classmate house, just to listen to Voice Of America from VIETNAM!! and can still vividly remember the most requested and played songs on VOA Vietnam was the Marmalade "Reflection of my life"..."the changing of sunlight to moonlight...reflection of my life, all my sorrows, set tomorrow..take me back to where I once belong"..

Listening to BBC & to some BBC was the only radio station they tune in..then it was the FM station from Batam that played better songs that the State controlled radio stations...we could get songs like , "Mr Tamburine Man", " Puff The Magic Dragon", " Lucy In The Sky", "With A Little Help from my frien"..etc songs on the Ministry of Culture Banned list that SINgapore Radio can not play & their format was refreshing.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Radio & Redifussion was the one stop media centre back then... I used to go all the way to Chong Pang Village outside Naval Base my classmate house, just to listen to Voice Of America from VIETNAM!! and can still vividly remember the most requested and played songs on VOA Vietnam was the Marmalade "Reflection of my life"..."the changing of sunlight to moonlight...reflection of my life, all my sorrows, set tomorrow..take me back to where I once belong"..

Listening to BBC & to some BBC was the only radio station they tune in..then it was the FM station from Batam that played better songs that the State controlled radio stations...we could get songs like , "Mr Tamburine Man", " Puff The Magic Dragon", " Lucy In The Sky", "With A Little Help from my frien"..etc songs on the Ministry of Culture Banned list that SINgapore Radio can not play & their format was refreshing.
OK, now I recalled the name of the Batam station. It's called Zoo 101.6. :smile:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
vividly remember the most requested and played songs..Marmalade "Reflection of my life"..."the changing of sunlight to moonlight...reflection of my life, all my sorrows, set tomorrow..take me back to where I once belong"..
better songs that the State controlled radio stations...we could get songs like , "Mr Tamburine Man", " Puff The Magic Dragon", " Lucy In The Sky", "With A Little Help from my frien"..etc songs on the Ministry of Culture Banned list that SINgapore Radio can not play & their format was refreshing.
One of my faves, BIG hit from scouser band with 2 million on the till. Steam retro song even for my younger cronies. Nice inclusion in wikepedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflections_of_My_Life

Couldn't resist video here:p. Anybody recall Devils Bar? Newer band did fantas intro (defining moment)

And as for puritanic bans on LSD song types, might as well ban Tom Jones Green Green Grass of Home

[video=youtube;79NiN7ISW7E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79NiN7ISW7E[/video]

Last edited:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hehehe. Also one of the favorites in the local restaurant/pub joints. Be prepare to hear some mispronunciation but that's good enough for live music.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Simple and addictive sing along (at least for me) Come and Get It:o. When proverbial new British pop empire ruled. Signing by Apple (Beatles setup, not I of recent!). Badfinger also included in honourable mention by wikepedia. Chanced on this CD awhile back

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badfinger

[video=youtube;Bk57K4OGrAg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk57K4OGrAg[/video]

Last edited:

Rushwind

Alfrescian
Loyal
From my "Secret Squirrel', HSK was offered the CP post many years ago. He rejected the offer.

Can just reject? I know HSK has moved on to greater heights but would there be negative career implications if a scholar turn down the offer? The one I have heard was Lui TY was offered CDF but he too turned it down.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Can just reject? I know HSK has moved on to greater heights but would there be negative career implications if a scholar turn down the offer? The one I have heard was Lui TY was offered CDF but he too turned it down.

really?
Athough he may be very smart (SAFOS), I do not believe that he would be an effective CDF.