• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

things you miss from the past?

jw5

Loyal
Still remember the hawker stall built in car park?
they served the best food and cheap.
now aday if the contractor takes up 2 parking lots
with their trash container, we kpkb.
Are you referring to the hawker centre that used to be in the car park beside where somerset mrt station is now?
I know of a married couple, both of whom were born in the 60s, who can't remember this. Are they forgetful or simply stupid?

HakkaThaileen

Alfrescian
Loyal
Food in Singapore used to taste much better. If there's anything I miss, its the food and the fun.

Those were the days when most of the street hawkers possess relatively good culinary skill.

Nowadays, most of the food are mass produced. The suppliers would supply the food from the various factories in HDB / JTC food industrial estates and have them delivered to the place of sale under franchise arrangement.

You don't have to possess any culinary skill to operate a food stall. You are just a food handler. So long as you can come up with some initial capital to buy the franchise and know how to warm up the food via modern kitchen equipments, you can rent a stall at the various food court.

So the end result is: you eat a plate of fried rice, chicken rice, duck rice in Tiong Bahru, the taste is the same as that eaten in Tampines, or any other part of Singapore. It's monotonous in a sense.

Last edited:

HakkaThaileen

Alfrescian
Loyal
how about the old satay club, tpy hawker centre under the highway? :biggrin:

..and the best Indian Rojak sold at sarabat stalls at Waterloo Street, nice curry puff at the coffee shop opposite Rex cinema...

If you need a french cap urgently... get it from any of those ubiquitous five-foot-way mama stalls (remember..? the stalls were actually carved out of the wall of those pre-war shop houses with a depth of about 1 to 1.5 feet the most and the mama fellows with white sarong manning it- was it called sarong?..). Any such five-foot-way mama stall now? Anyone knows? and where is it?

HakkaThaileen

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually... u can find em anywhere... Jurong drive in or Kallang KFC...:biggrin:

When they still sell 4-d, toto in such kiosh...:biggrin:

mushroom_booth.jpg

Long time no see...

players-navycut.jpg

Thanks for the picture of Player cigarette .. Do you have the picture of 555?..

Baimi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Are you referring to the hawker centre that used to be in the car park beside where somerset mrt station is now?
I know of a married couple, both of whom were born in the 60s, who can't remember this. Are they forgetful or simply stupid?

Hawker centres built in most HDB estates car park,
during that time not many estates yet
and still lots of kampong houses, but i never stayed in kampong
all my life.

i1u12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyone of u remember the ice ball - shedded ice with red bean and chin chow in the centre. It cost 10 cts and finger licking good after a basketeball or football game. Where can I find it now?

Hawker centres built in most HDB estates car park,
during that time not many estates yet
and still lots of kampong houses, but i never stayed in kampong
all my life.

jw5

Loyal
Those were the days when most of the street hawkers possess relatively good culinary skill.

Nowadays, most of the food are mass produced. The suppliers would supply the food from the various factories in HDB / JTC food industrial estates and have them delivered to the place of sale under franchise arrangement.

You don't have to possess any culinary skill to operate a food stall. You are just a food handler. So long as you can come up with some initial capital to buy the franchise and know how to warm up the food via modern kitchen equipments, you can rent a stall at the various food court.

So the end result is: you eat a plate of fried rice, chicken rice, duck rice in Tiong Bahru, the taste is the same as that eaten in Tampines, or any other part of Singapore. It's monotonous in a sense.
It's true that there are a lot of very ordinary food stalls in SG these days, especially in the food courts.
But there are still a lot of authentic hawkers plying their trade and serving delicious food all over the island. That's why I was so touched to read the article in the newspapers some time back about third generation hawkers, youngsters in their 20s and 30s who were prepared to carry on their parents' and grandparents' trades and skills. I wish them every success, because good food is probably one of the very few good things left in SG.
You need to know where to look for such delicious food. :smile: