• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

the first person who put fishcake and crabstick in hor fun ought to be shot

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
but funny leh.
i see many steamboat still offer crabstick as dish.
many youngsters like that

Why ?..because of profit margins !..:cool:
When One pack of 20 crapsticks=$1.00=5cts/stick; do you know how much steamboat operators are charging..a plate of 4 sticks for $2 !..:eek:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i totally agree. the hor fun today if fit for dogs...even dogs reject it!!!...damned horrible!!!...they don't even give the kwayteow a wok!!!

They do what we have today "FAST FOOD", they cooked the "kway teow" before hand & set aside, then when the dish is ordered, they throw in the kway teow ( pre-cooked), then add the ingredients, like you know CRAB STICK, instead of chye sim, we get cabbage!, then silver of pork etc & just add the gravy of corn starch, salt etc...no lard, that gives the hor fun the oomph..plus that smokey burnt taste I mention..

The current hor fun out there is only fit for certain 'dogs'...they are the ones will messed things up, so it is only fit for their consumption..:biggrin:

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
They do what we have today "FAST FOOD", they cooked the "kway teow" before hand & set aside, then when the dish is ordered, they throw in the kway teow ( pre-cooked), then add the ingredients, like you know CRAB STICK, instead of chye sim, we get cabbage!, then silver of pork etc & just add the gravy of corn starch, salt etc...no lard, that gives the hor fun the oomph..plus that smokey burnt taste I mention..

The current hor fun out there is only fit for certain 'dogs'...they are the ones will messed things up, so it is only fit for their consumption..:biggrin:

i remember one stall in people's park many years ago. my mum used to bring them to eat the hor fun. really wok and all...very very shiok!

now I gave up on hor fun ...pre-fried cold kwayteow....some don't even fried at all......add some miserable slices of fish cake,frozen thin slices of pork ,two small stale prawns....and add crab stick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!

dietcoke

Alfrescian
Loyal
let me quote a place where i find that the hor fun is nice and delicious.

its at geylanf lor 8, the 'wang jiao' dim sum. u can find some zhi char dishes there like crispy noodles, hor fun etc.

ok, the hor fun they offer still have most of the things that some one decribe here:

half boil runny egg white . checked.

2 fresh prawn ( tasted fresh to me). checked.

pork. checked.

slices of fish. checked

sotong ring and the legs. checked.

thick gravy (indication with starch). checked.

veges. checked.

hor fun noodles with a bit of burnt taste . checked.

try it. its only $5.

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
the beef hor fun in lor 9 is something i love to eat....good!
opposite the frog porridge stall...another good makan place

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Yeah, that hor fun is good. After that can go eat durian :biggrin:

Happy new year Kopiuncle.

Wow ! you also like the hor fun there:smile: Yes, after that eat durian and then eye some good roasted chicken for supper and dessert with the smooth silken tofu nearby too....HUAT AH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enforcer

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wow ! you also like the hor fun there:smile: Yes, after that eat durian and then eye some good roasted chicken for supper and dessert with the smooth silken tofu nearby too....HUAT AH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You eat so much then how to go piak piak the china girls? :wink:

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
the beef hor fun in lor 9 is something i love to eat....good!
opposite the frog porridge stall...another good makan place

Kopi, never eat at this stall's h/f, what they did is to pre-prepare eveything; and once the order comes in, they just heat up the gravies throw in the precooked ingredients and pour them over the hor fun !..:eek:
I wouLd call this method 'Cheating'.:cool:

PaulStanley

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
the first person who put fishcake and crabstick in seafood hor fun ought to be shot.
the rest of the hawkers copycat this pattern.now most hor fun no longer taste the same as in the early 80s.
went to alexandra village.order 1 SEAfood horfun.
knn $4 dare to put slices of fishcake, crabstick and 2 real middle size prawns + few stems of cai xin without leaves
i rather pay $5.give me real seafood la.

Never heard of hor fun. Had fun bangin' chicks. Go Subway's the way!

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Kopi, never eat at this stall's h/f, what they did is to pre-prepare eveything; and once the order comes in, they just heat up the gravies throw in the precooked ingredients and pour them over the hor fun !..:eek:

maybe so when they are very busy....they will short cut...like the famous taiwah buckchomee. i saw the uncle pre cooked the ingredients and put aside.....and then just threw in after the mee was cooked....but still not bad leh..

soon many short cuts will come our way...and our traditional food will go down the drain. many baba and nonya food have gone liao!!! just too many short cuts here and there...no more a labour of love...HUAT AH!!!!!!!!!!!!

ykhuser

Alfrescian
Loyal
i remember one stall in people's park many years ago. my mum used to bring them to eat the hor fun. really wok and all...very very shiok!

now I gave up on hor fun ...pre-fried cold kwayteow....some don't even fried at all......add some miserable slices of fish cake,frozen thin slices of pork ,two small stale prawns....and add crab stick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!

yes bro.people park.(i think called meng kee)donkey year ago. great hor fun with smoky burnt taste.kway teow got deris stain from the black wok.

ykhuser

Alfrescian
Loyal
great hor fun and fried rice must be cooked with powerful fire with blacky old wok.
home gas stove can never achieve that.trust me.

now still can get decent good hor fun with real fish,real prawn real sotong.the kway toew fried instantly per indivdual.
damage: $6
portion : enough to fill 1 stomach
smoky wok taste: 4/5
freshness : 4.5/5
gravy starchyness: 3.5/10
overall : 3.8 /5
uniqueness :some egg white over the gravy
waiting time :20-30 min
pls specifty "seafood "horfun when you order.if not they will asume you order mix type hor fun.

Last edited:

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the first person who put fishcake and crabstick in seafood hor fun ought to be shot.
the rest of the hawkers copycat this pattern.now most hor fun no longer taste the same as in the early 80s.
knn $4 dare to put slices of fishcake, crabstick and 2 real middle size prawns + few stems of cai xin without leaves

That is known as the "or-lan-chow hor-fun".

PissNPiss

Alfrescian
Loyal

great hor fun and fried rice must be cooked with powerful fire with blacky old wok.
home gas stove can never achieve that.trust me.

now still can get decent good hor fun with real fish,real prawn real sotong.the kway toew fried instantly per indivdual.
damage: $6
portion : enough to fill 1 stomach
smoky wok taste: 4/5
freshness : 4.5/5
gravy starchyness: 3.5/10
overall : 3.8 /5
uniqueness :some egg white over the gravy
waiting time :20-30 min
pls specifty "seafood "horfun when you order.if not they will asume you order mix type hor fun.

The hor fun at People's Park Food Centre not bad, got the taste one can find in the 80s'. Located beside the mint shop Missed the hor fun that da bao in banana leave which ingredients include pig stomach n liver. I hate the gravy that most hawkers made nowadays which taste like long kang water.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Lor9 standards dropped liao....still beh paiseh display 牛河大王....now PRC cooks spoil everything.
Opposite someone mentioned Wong Kok dim sum now up their game and their beef hor fun now taste better.
Frog porridge also lost out to lor 3 sin ma G7.

ykhuser

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lor9 standards dropped liao....still beh paiseh display 牛河大王....now PRC cooks spoil everything.
Opposite someone mentioned Wong Kok dim sum now up their game and their beef hor fun now taste better.
Frog porridge also lost out to lor 3 sin ma G7.

last time the beef horfun.. fried by a fat auntie.the horfun really got the smoky wok smell.knn now the kway teow...machiam used candle to fry.maybe fried all in 1 shot,then store in warmer bucket.
if really want to fried 10 packet in 1 shot, at least use the type of fire in rocket launching la