• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The Dave Lee (Corporal F.C.) Thread

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think we can agree on 2 things.

1) the death was pointless and could have been avoided

2) are youths these days weaker than the batch from olden days? well we have soldiers who died in the past too. but without the internet in those days, how can we be sure that these sort of things get revealed to the public?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

2) are youths these days weaker than the batch from olden days? well we have soldiers who died in the past too. but without the internet in those days, how can we be sure that these sort of things get revealed to the public?

Yes!....the families of those NS men, do not even know, how their sons died.. We can agree on the two points. The youths today are weaker..

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
One thing about the weakness of the SAF....the OCS program is too short..about 9 months..in the USA it's 3 years...the occifer is not trained to monitor n be aware of the condition of the men...enuff said. There is a difference between tough training to ensure the men are physically n mentally conditioned for war...or an occifer and trainer who is sadistic...n please Singkieland will never survive a war...all will just surrender.
4 years same as college I believe. UK is less than a year since no degree programme.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Sure, we all know that....one thing for sure is many of the youth today are wussies....if they have gone through National Salavery, which was a privilege during my time....a quarter of the today's youth would have died. We have long full pack road marches, with two full magazines of bullets, hand grenades...5km run was normal, followed by obstacle course...then we have the ORDINARY 2.4km...plus ++ many indescribable training ( of course there was safety officer) for example, many would have the 'privilege' of carrying full equiptment Up & down , Peng Kang Hill in Pasar Labar Camp...ask our mee siam mai hum..if he has the 'privilege' of manpacking the mortar base plate up & down PK Hill?.

The point is (1) Youths today are generally wussies, (2) Even with any safety procedures, safety officers etc.) or (3) This Army training...not your civilian camp...accidents do happen. How many died over the decades, anyone counted or have the stats?...especially the early 60's to the 70's?.

How to proof gross negligences...at least today, you have money ( rich parents) to take on the SAF...many of these cases, will just be swept under the carpets.

The unfortunate part is, males here are privileged to be born here to serve....National Service. This boy died with privilege & we should honour him...at the tomb of the unknown soldier every year ( we have one?) the eternal flame that will never go out...served & died for the country during peace time & thank his parents for voting______ ( sic!)

Let us have a minute of silence...for a fallen volunteer!

Commando recruit training is now lights out at 10pm. Enuff said.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

U forgot that in the olden days, the temperature was at least 5 degrees colder then today. And also, the full equipment is probably lighter because there was no body armour, lighter rifle, etc. Big difference in heat tolerance under these conditions.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
There is always one bloody sadistic commander that enjoys torturing NS men. Many years back we heard of 1 commander who got shot at the range because he tekan some hokkien pang until he snapped. To all you sadistic commander, we are just Singaporean doing our 2 year stint. Karma is real. Think twice before you even think of bullying a young NSF. As a parent, I hope mindef would stop this nonsense of defaulter parade and torture of our children. I feel the pain of the deceased parents. I certainly do not want this to happen to other NSF. We are angry that the minister of defence is not looking at this seriously. How many Commoner children must die before they wake up.

RIP Pte Lee.

This is a true story. Shot in the back by a soldier who snapped at the range. Used an AR-15.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
These days medic officer got poorer experience and skill than the past, I think.

My NS days I was under medical center at one stage, and heat stroke was common for the hot months, one master parade can have 1 or 2 collapsed. Once CO inspection can have 15 collapsed, until our fucking sick bay beds full, and we put the half dead boys on stretchers. Seldom need to send to hospitals. We blow them with our medical center aircon and fan maximum, cover with wet bath towels soaked in ice water. Wet their lips. Made sure airway opened no choked no blocked by tongue and no puke. When woke up gave water. MO will check many times, if too dehydrated cases, will give IV drip. Dehydrated ones got dry red hot skins and faces, body temperature higher than fever cases.

Road much & field camp got heat stroke also. But I never attach to ambulance for these Siong Trainings, I stayed back medical center, watch people Keng Report Sick Keng Attend B, Keng excuse uniform, Keng excuse boots. Eventually I learned all their tricks and I became top Keng Consultant, I can teach you Keng even Medical Board down grading and every kinds of MCs. You need to bribe me big time lah.

Had to strip of their smart #3 smart #4 SBO etc. Too bad no SAF Women for me to strip. And our unit SAF women all ugly ones! Yucks! Ah Neh aunties (store women & ops NCOs) half of them - just imagine!

As far as I remembered heat stroke never encounter ROD cases. Those ROD ones, got accidents, got suicide, got cardiac.

In your days, singapore weather a lot cooler lah. by at least 5 degrees. Also gear is lighter back then, eg. no body armour. Cannot compare to today.

maxsanic

Alfrescian
Loyal
The main gripe I have with NS is the entire regime is still designed as if we are waiting for the next major land war consisting of infantry and tanks slugging out with each other in waves. Nobody seems to take into account what practices really work in a high tech high info conflict.

There is a reason why many countries that face greater threats than Singapore are moving into professionalizing to an all volunteer/regular armed forces personnel - modern wars require highly trained and technologically sophisticated "workforce" and you cannot get that by sending people to some generic physically tough boot camp for a few months then sit around in the units for a year waiting for ORD. Modern wars have no need for truckloads of basic trained infantry men who see operating a towed artillery or light tank as the apex of military competency.

One good example is the ridiculous notion that mass mobilization of brigades and divisions of NS men is a good idea to defend Singapore. In this day and age, if there really is war and we mobilize in this manner, it's pretty much everyone gathering in one open space waiting to get blown out of existence by smart bombs or long range guided rockets. Ditto the archaic doctrine of fixed formations and spacing between battalion, brigade and divisional HQ deployments. This might have worked in the 1960s when threats were mainly coming from limited range artillery, long range strikes were less precise and reconnaissance imagery was very limited. Applied in this age it's just a disaster waiting to happen.

Someone raised a somewhat similar point on mobilization and the regular, a Colonel IIRC, was unable to explain or defend this practice. In the end he terminated the discussion by proudly declaring that our enemies would be so scared to see so many able bodied soldiers mobilized and gather that it would psychologically help prevent war in the first place. That is about as idiotic a rationalization as I've ever heard.

Last edited:

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
The main problem I have with NS is the entire regime is still designed as if we are waiting for the next major land war consisting of infantry and tanks slugging out with each other in waves. Nobody seems to take into account what practices really work in a high tech high info conflict.

There is a reason why many countries who face greater threats than Singapore are moving into professionalizing to an all volunteer/regular armed forces personnel - modern wars require highly trained and technologically sophisticated "workforce" and you cannot get that by sending people to some generic physically tough boot camp for a few months then sit around in the units for a year waiting for ORD. Modern wars have no need for truckloads of basic trained infantry men who see operating a towed artillery or light tank as the apex of military competency.

One good example is the ridiculous notion that mass mobilization of brigades and divisions of NS men is a good idea to defend Singapore. In this day and age, if there really is war and we mobilize in this manner, it's pretty much everyone gathering in one place waiting to get blown out of existence by smart bombs or long range guided rockets. Ditto the archaic doctrine of fixed formations and spacing between battalion, brigade and divisional HQ deployments. This might have worked in the 1960s when threats were mainly coming from limited range artillery, long range strikes were less precise and reconnaissance imagery was very limited. Applied in this age it's just a disaster waiting to happen.

In one of the briefings I took part in during reservist, someone raised a somewhat similar point on mobilization and the regular, a Colonel IIRC, was unable to explain or defend this practice. In the end he terminated the discussion by proudly declaring that our enemies would be so scared to see so many able bodied soldiers mobilized and gather that it would psychologically help prevent war in the first place. That is about as idiotic a rationalization as I've ever heard.

U forgot to ask the one basic question. Who is our enemy? which country will attack singapore or want to attack singapore. If u can answer this question, then u can ask what is the problem with NS.

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It does the opposite and proves that commanders are doing what they are paid to do. NS is there to protect the nation. It is not a holiday camp.
Nobody says NS is a holiday camp. But it should not be a death camp.
Commanders should do their job well. They shouldn’t be so dumb as not to know if his soldier is dying or lying.

Last edited:

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
U forgot that in the olden days, the temperature was at least 5 degrees colder then today. And also, the full equipment is probably lighter because there was no body armour, lighter rifle, etc. Big difference in heat tolerance under these conditions.

The global warming has caused a significant increase in temperature and humidity.
In the late 1970's, I found it very hot, but not intolerable, but during recent visits to Singapore, I often wonder how I survived those NS days.
I submit that instructors and officers should be more conscious of the potential injury and death of all officers and men.

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Majority of sinkies support conscripted national slavery. A life lost once in a while is okay. Stop being so paranoid! The SAF commanders are just doing their job culling daft and humji sinkies like this dead Dave. Too daft and humji to report sick and chao keng. LOL!