• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Story of Hope: SQ006 crash survivor finally finds love and happiness in KL

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Unmasking the new me

20110919.180342_others_unmask.jpg

By Zaihan Mohamed Yusof

The New Paper
Tuesday, Sep 20, 2011

She went from heroism to scorching horror, to pain, then to a depression that lasted seven years, before finally fleeing and finding peace in obscurity.

Madam Farzana Abdul Razak, the heroine of one of Singapore's worst airplane disasters, is today a happy mother of a three-year-old boy in Kuala Lumpur.

The scars from burns that covered over 40 per cent of her body are still there, but psychologically, she has recovered so remarkably that she can even joke about how they came about.

"They think I got burnt by oil while frying fish!" said the 29-year-old.
She would calmly tell them what happened.

"I know now there's nothing to hide and I am not afraid to talk about the past," she told The New Paper on Sunday.

And anyone who experienced her "past" would find it difficult to deal with.

It was Madam Farzana's fourth month working as an air stewardess with SIA when the flight she was on - the SQ006 - had a collision during take-off in Taipei.

She was only 18 then.

"There was a 'boom' and all of a sudden bags from the overhead compartments started to fly about and the oxygen masks were deployed," she recalled.

"People were screaming for help in different languages."

Briefly trapped in her seat near the tail-end of the Boeing 747, Madam Farzana tried to make her escape from the burning plane.

"I couldn't see where I was going because it was dark. I can still remember how intense the heat and smoke around me were."

The incident claimed 83 lives out of 179 people on board. The number would have been higher had Madam Farzana not pulled some passengers to safety.

But her selflessness came at a cost.

She spent 60 days recuperating in hospitals - first in Taiwan and later in Singapore. Her face and limbs were heavily bandaged.

"I was so heavily sedated that I didn't know I had bandages on my face," she said.

"When I started to feel the pain later, I pleaded with doctors to give me more morphine.

"I cried day and night because the pain was too much. But the doctors told me they couldn't increase the morphine dosage as it would pose a danger to me."

She went through extensive skin grafting operations in Singapore and overseas.

After months of anticipation, the bandages finally came off.

And she didn't like what she saw in the mirror.

"I couldn't recognise myself in the mirror when the bandages came off two weeks after the crash," she recalled.

"I was horrified.

"My head was bald and patchy, and there were superficial burns on my face. I just wanted to be alone."

She was further shattered when she was told her flying days with SIA were over. "I was only 18, and I didn't know how to deal with it.

"When I looked at the scars on my hands, I accepted the reality that I wouldn't be able to fly or wear the kebaya again. My scars were permanent."

Depression set in.

"There was a deep sense of loss. All I knew was work and then, suddenly, I wasn't able to work because of my injuries.

"Every day when I woke up, I didn't know what to do. I was emotional and couldn't control my temper.

"I wasn't the same person any more."

To this day, the sight of an airplane flying overhead or even an innocent question about her scars would trigger memories of the past.

It did not help that every October, well-wishers and journalists would call and ask how she was doing.

"In Singapore, I felt like a goldfish because people stared and asked me too many questions," she said.

"I was in bad shape mentally, and I was too depressed to make plans for the future."

Her move to Kuala Lumpur in 2006 put her on the road to mental recovery.

She said: "I had to move out because I needed to find myself.

"I didn't want my past to dictate who I would become."

In Kuala Lumpur, she found it easier to blend in.

And she found love.

Today, Madam Farzana is a housewife, raising a family with her remisier husband, Mr Don Yazid, 46.

She says the turning point came when she was pregnant with her son Syafiq.

She also has a step-daughter, 15, from her husband's previous marriage.

"I felt this strange need to change," she said.

"I was worried that my depression would eat into my life and I couldn't allow that, not with my family on the line, and my son on the way.

"I now take each day as it comes because life is so beautiful when you meet new people and listen to birds chirping away outside your window."

[email protected]

This article was first published in The New Paper.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
while the survivors / NOK of SQ006 found closure, one way or another..

think alot of questions still unanswered regarding the Palembang crash.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
while the survivors / NOK of SQ006 found closure, one way or another..

think alot of questions still unanswered regarding the Palembang crash.

yes well put. although it's been more than 13 years, there's no real closure on the silkair crash :(

I recall the discovery channel's episode of aircrash investigation on the crash and said it was pilot suicide. that's totally different from the findings held by our own inquiry. must be touchy since it affects compensation to victims..?

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yes well put. although it's been more than 13 years, there's no real closure on the silkair crash :(

I recall the discovery channel's episode of aircrash investigation on the crash and said it was pilot suicide. that's totally different from the findings held by our own inquiry. must be touchy since it affects compensation to victims..?

no offense to the pilot's NOK...i think it is inconclusive to say its pilot suicide...and MI won't admit to it either as it opens the door for lawsuits.

if i don't remember wrongly, MI suggest its plane fault, but manufacturer denied...black box yielded no info...bcos the recordings during that critical moment was absent...it stopped working - 1st question mark - thot black box is supposedly to be nuclear bomb resistant?

second question mark (from Wiki)

On 14 December 2000, after three years of intensive investigation, the Indonesian NTSC issued its final report, in which it concluded that the evidence was inconclusive and that the cause of the accident cannot be determined:[SUP][2]

Not that i doubt the Indon, but surely they are more competent that this?

till today, it is inconclusive regarding the cause...i read that it could bizarrely due to indon army accidentally shot it down.

[/SUP]

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
no offense to the pilot's NOK...i think it is inconclusive to say its pilot suicide...and MI won't admit to it either as it opens the door for lawsuits.

if i don't remember wrongly, MI suggest its plane fault, but manufacturer denied...black box yielded no info...bcos the recordings during that critical moment was absent...it stopped working - 1st question mark - thot black box is supposedly to be nuclear bomb resistant?

second question mark (from Wiki)

On 14 December 2000, after three years of intensive investigation, the Indonesian NTSC issued its final report, in which it concluded that the evidence was inconclusive and that the cause of the accident cannot be determined:[SUP][2]

Not that i doubt the Indon, but surely they are more competent that this?

till today, it is inconclusive regarding the cause...i read that it could bizarrely due to indon army accidentally shot it down.

[/SUP]

Contrary to what you mentioned, the Indon investigator in fact did a fine job but they were contrained. They indicated they have kept the servo of the tail rudder in their safe.
Private investigator in US have proven that the servo cause a number of 737 crashes. NTSC is protecting boeing and the servo manufacturer.
The servo gets jammed at altitude. Don't listen to the bullshit about pilot suicide. They also blame the Eygptian pilot on suicide.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[SUP]till today, it is inconclusive regarding the cause...i read that it could bizarrely due to indon army accidentally shot it down.

[/SUP]

yes that's another theory. The region was starting to boil over around end of 97. The AFC was starting, and the suharto regime was toppling, followed by unrest in indon ...

I still remember the morning after very clearly when I answered a call from my brother's friend. I made fun of him because he sounded upset. Turned out his girlfriend was on the flight :(

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
that didn't explain why the flight recorder failed / was turned off

It was not turned off during flight.
Silkair crash was not the first involving 737.
National Geographic had a documentary on this.
I think two flights managed to pull out of their plunge that's why there were witnesses.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
from the report - pointed fingers at pilot's mis-doing.

but looking at the problems that he have - i doubt it is so big that he has to crash the entire plane, taking the passengers with him.

i don't subscribe to the theory that it was pilot's suicide.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Thanks bro... damn good read..

[h=2]THE PILOT WHO WANTED TO DIE[/h]

Author: GEOFFREY THOMAS. Geoffrey Thomas is aviation writer for the West Australian and Southeast Asian editor of Aviation Week and Space Technology.
Date: 10/07/1999

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Eighteen months after the crash of a Silk Air jet in Indonesia, families of the 103 passengers and crew who died are still waiting for an official explanation. GEOFFREY THOMAS has found evidence of a murder-suicide by a pilot who should not have been flying.

FOR THE passengers on flight MI 185, it should have been a short hop from Jakarta to Singapore on that steamy day on December 19, 1997. They could not have known of the deeply troubled past of their captain and how that and alleged crushing personal debts would conspire to lead to a fiery end in a muddy Indonesian river.

Fifty minutes after take-off, the Boeing 737 was shattered almost beyond recognition in a 10-metre- deep crater at the bottom of the Musi River, near Palembang.

It was a tragedy that had its roots exactly 18 years before when the captain, Tsu Way Ming, was due to fly a training mission in an A-4 Skyhawk fighter with the Republic of Singapore Air Force. But he was unable totake part when his plane developed a fault just before take-off. His four colleagues took off and crashed into a mountain. Tsu blamed himself for their deaths because he was not with them to ensure their safety.

He went on to become an ace with the RSAF Black Knights aerobatics team, and left the force with the rank of major in 1992. He was among the elite, and when he joined Silk Air he was rapidly promoted toline instructor pilot on Boeing 737s.

But suddenly his life unravelled. He gained a reputation for erratic flying and for flying too fast. At the same time, the Asian economic crisis and his alleged gambling were taking a toll on his family's fortunes. Within days of the Boeing crash, rumours started in Silk Air that Tsu had taken his own life.

Within two months, the Indonesian Aircraft Accident Investigation Commission (AAIC) was forced toconfirm a report, in the US industry journal Aviation Week and Space Technology, that suicide was being examined as a cause.

Indonesian sources close to the AAIC have revealed that problems with Tsu's flying career started with an incident at Manado, Celebes, on March 3, 1997. Flying too high and fast on a tight-turning approach to the airport, he failed to apply "go-round" power for a missed approach. His New Zealand co-pilot, Lawrence Dittmer, had to intervene to save the situation, one Silk Air pilot has claimed.

It was the 11th anniversary of an incident when Captain Tsu had had to eject from his RSAF A-4 Skyhawk after the aircraft developed a fault.
On June 24, at Changi, Singapore, there was another problem when Tsu, 41, was rostered to fly with Dittmer. Tsu deactivated the cockpit voice recorder (CVR) but Dittmer refused to fly unless it was working. It created a tense and almost impossible situation. Tsu reconsidered, reset the CVR, and the flight proceeded without a word spoken between the pair, except as part of their duties.

Tsu's actions were reported and he was demoted from line instructor pilot to captain. He appealed but this was rejected in a process that took six months.

Duncan Ward, 23, from Auckland, was the first officer on flight MI 185, and also flew with Tsu on September 2, 1997, later confiding to a friend that he was worried about Tsu's flying performance, excessive speed and sloppy procedures.

Ward was one of Silk Air's most popular and highly respected personnel. "Many captains would ask him toact as their co-pilot in their simulator flight tests because he was so easy to get along with and such a good pilot," one close observer said.

The concerns about Tsu's flying were mirrored by other pilots, it is alleged. In another incident, on November 20, 1997, Tsu took off despite having an unacceptably low level of thrust, returned, and landed overweight without dumping fuel. This was not officially reported by him but the company became aware of the incident and allegedly sent him a critical letter.

These were not isolated incidents. On December 16, 1997, three days before the crash, a Silk Air captain resigned, citing concerns over Tsu's aircraft abuses as one of his reasons.

The morning of December 19 was unsettling for Tsu. Before his flight to Jakarta, he was apparently calledto account for the allegations made against him.

At the same time, his voluntary $1.52 million house mortgage insurance policy was approved, according tosources close to the investigation. And it was the anniversary of the tragedy that had taken his four air force colleagues.

So on that morning he was, by all accounts, a broken man - humiliated by first officers over his erratic flying, and reported by his fellow captains for abuse of aircraft.

Complicating his fall from elite status were his alleged losses on the stock exchange and gambling debts.

Sources close to the investigation in Indonesia suggest he owed more than $3 million in gambling debts, currency exchange and stock market losses. His life insurance policies covered these amounts, including the policy that was approved on the morning of the crash, which would have secured the future of his wife and children.

Two passengers on flight MI 185 would have also unsettled Tsu. Singaporean supermodel Bonny Hicks had divorced one of Tsu's air force friends for an American, Richard Dalrymple. Tsu apparently loathed her for deserting his colleague. The couple were on board.

Ironically, co-pilot Ward told a close friend he would see him that Saturday night "if I make it" - referringto Tsu's flying capabilities.

The pair flew from Singapore to Jakarta, arriving at 2.10 pm, and were to fly on to Medan later that day. The 737 left Jakarta at 4.23 pm and climbed to 35,000ft.

At 5.03 pm Tsu is heard to say: "I am going back [to the cabin] for a bit. Water?"

Ward replies: "No thanks. I'm right."

Then, at 5.04 pm, the cockpit voice recorder stops.

It would have a simple matter for Tsu to pull the CVR circuit-breaker, which was on a panel behind his seat. Ward would not have seen him do this in the cramped cockpit. Ward spoke to air traffic controllers at 5.10 pm. There was no concern in his voice.

Just over a minute later, the digital flight data recorder stopped, with all aircraft systems working perfectly - one of the scant facts investigators have revealed.

Insiders say Tsu pulled this flight data recorder circuit-breaker on his return to the cockpit. Doing so earlier, at the time the CVR stopped, would have warned Ward, who would have seen the master caution light come on in front of him. Loss of the CVR would not have activated the master caution light.

At this point it would have been a tragically simple matter for Tsu to disable Ward with a blow to the head from the fire extinguisher or fire axe.

The 737 rolled to the right into a near vertical dive and hit the Musi River at 5.13 pm. Descent speed averaged more than 38,400 feet a minute, with the aircraft going through the sound barrier just before impact, according to investigators.

The aircraft hit the ground almost vertically, but inverted - a fact determined from the location of the engines. It had travelled only five kilometres from its initial descent point. Confirming the aircraft had not suffered an electrical failure was the continued emission of a signal from the 737's radios. Some lawyers had suggested the crash was caused by an electrical failure, but that has been dismissed by investigators.

Initial focus was on the 737, which had suffered some alleged rudder problems, but this, too, was quickly dismissed once investigators had the radar plots showing the aircraft's rapid descent. That descent profile could have been possible only with human intervention. Investigators also found the aircraft's engines had been at full power, meaning its automatic throttle had been disengaged - another deliberate action.

"The only possible way for an aircraft to behave in this way is for the pilot to hold the control stick firmly forward," a former Australian investigator has said. "Even if the wings fell off, the aircraft couldn't descend that fast."
That observation was backed up by simulator trials which reconstructed the flight. The trials were conducted in Seattle, Singapore and Indonesia, and all came to the same conclusion: that human intervention was the only cause.

When Aviation Week and Space Technology revealed the results of the simulator trials, there was no denial by the authorities - only a statement saying the article was unhelpful.

For the relatives of those killed, the past 18 months have been traumatic, made worse by a wall of silence from the Indonesian investigators, led by Professor Oetarjo Diran.

The relatives fear a cover-up - and their fears are justified. A secret report confirmed that the Indonesian authorities would not issue a public verdict because they feared it would make their own people toofrightened to fly.
Relatives of the victims believe they have been treated with contempt by the authorities and fed details that even a casual, uninformed observer could have worked out. Diran refuses to release even simple details, including the transcript of the CVR, although he claims "there is nothing on it" of interest to the investigation. "You have to trust me on this," he said.

The investigation has been ridiculed around the world, and several members of the team have threatenedto leak the official 270-page report to the media. Insiders say the parts of the investigation relating to the suicide are kept in a separate file.

"The AAIC has hidden behind the fact that the aircraft was pulverised by the impact, but they already know the cause - they knew that over a year ago," the former Australian investigator said.

Both Australia's Bureau of Safety Investigation and the US National Transport Safety Board have helped the investigation, but neither will comment because the investigation is Indonesian-controlled.

"Every piece of information on this crash has come from the international media," said David Beevers, spokesman for the relatives.

He lost his wife and unborn child.

"Only international pressure from the exposure will force the Indonesians and Singaporeans to reveal the true cause of the tragedy."[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
from the report - pointed fingers at pilot's mis-doing.

but looking at the problems that he have - i doubt it is so big that he has to crash the entire plane, taking the passengers with him.

i don't subscribe to the theory that it was pilot's suicide.

I think the truth will never be known because it involves many big parties. The victim NOK group, insurers and manufacturer will blame the pilot, the carrier will blame the manufacturer..

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well like I said the establishment pointed the finger at pilot suicide just like the Egyptian guy.
You expect them to point finger at Boeing or Parker Hannifin and bankrupt the company?
If it is suicide wonder why the two American 737 pilot pulled out of their same suicidal dive.
These are not my opinion. It is all in a documentary.

Last edited: