• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Son of Founder Bak Kut Teh Sucking Our Dicks Now! Begging Us To Save His Bak Kut Teh Bizness With 30% Discount! Sales Drop By 85%!

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
How to Cook Chicken Bak Kut Teh (Chik Kut Teh)

chick-kut-teh-e1519180598255.jpg

I’ve had an aversion to pork since I was a kid, so I have no recollection of ever having eaten Bak Kut Teh (BKT), which is traditionally made using pork spare ribs.

The smell of BKT is quite unmistakable however, and hard to avoid if you grew up in Malaysia or Singapore. Since I knew how it’s meant to smell, I felt vaguely confident going into this Live Asian Kitchen session despite it being my first attempt at the dish, and despite using chicken as a substitute.

I know this sounds like a cop-out, but nobody I know actually makes Bak Kut Teh using their own mix of spices; they buy pre-made BKT packs, either from their local Asian grocery store, or from their Chinese herb shop. You will see why when you read the ingredients listed on the packs, further down in this post.

I managed to pick up two different brands of BKT spice mixes during my recent Wok Around Asia trip; one was made in Johor (A1 Brand) which is the southernmost state in the Malaysian Peninsula, and the other was made in Penang (CKC Brand), up north.

bak-kut-teh-brands.jpg

This gave me the perfect opportunity to test both out in front of my Live online audience, and along the way, I found out there are different versions of BKT floating around; for instance, the Singaporean version is meant to be lighter and more peppery, whereas in Malaysia it’s darker and richer.

I had been told prior to the broadcast by KL native Alexx Lee of MyBlueTea.com.au that eating BKT with fried crullers (yow char kway) is a uniquely Kuala Lumpur-thing.

During the live video, however, Lisa Lee Allerton of AussieTrendHandicrafts.com, who’s from Penang herself, insisted she did in fact enjoy hers with crullers, so there you have it. A mass of culinary confusion all round, the lesson here being that even we Malaysians don’t see eye-to-eye regarding our own food.

Further research tells me that some typical sides that work well with BKT are –
  • Crullers (as mentioned previously)
  • Lettuce
  • Yam rice
  • Meat floss (this sounds odd even to me, but apparently it’s the done thing at some stalls in Penang)
  • Steamed rice
I found from testing both brands of spices, that they are worlds apart in flavour, cooking instructions and even in what’s in them; the A1 brand BKT pack contained what looked like a couple of mega-sized teabags, while the CKC brand had a combination of whole herbs and a smaller teabag of powdered spices.

bak-kut-teh-spices.jpg

I’m reposting the cooking instructions for both brands, and I’ve also added below, what I used in mine (along with splitting the difference between the two sets of instructions).

SalahParking

Alfrescian
Loyal
How to Cook Chicken Bak Kut Teh (Chik Kut Teh)

chick-kut-teh-e1519180598255.jpg

I’ve had an aversion to pork since I was a kid, so I have no recollection of ever having eaten Bak Kut Teh (BKT), which is traditionally made using pork spare ribs.

The smell of BKT is quite unmistakable however, and hard to avoid if you grew up in Malaysia or Singapore. Since I knew how it’s meant to smell, I felt vaguely confident going into this Live Asian Kitchen session despite it being my first attempt at the dish, and despite using chicken as a substitute.

I know this sounds like a cop-out, but nobody I know actually makes Bak Kut Teh using their own mix of spices; they buy pre-made BKT packs, either from their local Asian grocery store, or from their Chinese herb shop. You will see why when you read the ingredients listed on the packs, further down in this post.

I managed to pick up two different brands of BKT spice mixes during my recent Wok Around Asia trip; one was made in Johor (A1 Brand) which is the southernmost state in the Malaysian Peninsula, and the other was made in Penang (CKC Brand), up north.

bak-kut-teh-brands.jpg

This gave me the perfect opportunity to test both out in front of my Live online audience, and along the way, I found out there are different versions of BKT floating around; for instance, the Singaporean version is meant to be lighter and more peppery, whereas in Malaysia it’s darker and richer.

I had been told prior to the broadcast by KL native Alexx Lee of MyBlueTea.com.au that eating BKT with fried crullers (yow char kway) is a uniquely Kuala Lumpur-thing.

During the live video, however, Lisa Lee Allerton of AussieTrendHandicrafts.com, who’s from Penang herself, insisted she did in fact enjoy hers with crullers, so there you have it. A mass of culinary confusion all round, the lesson here being that even we Malaysians don’t see eye-to-eye regarding our own food.

Further research tells me that some typical sides that work well with BKT are –
  • Crullers (as mentioned previously)
  • Lettuce
  • Yam rice
  • Meat floss (this sounds odd even to me, but apparently it’s the done thing at some stalls in Penang)
  • Steamed rice
I found from testing both brands of spices, that they are worlds apart in flavour, cooking instructions and even in what’s in them; the A1 brand BKT pack contained what looked like a couple of mega-sized teabags, while the CKC brand had a combination of whole herbs and a smaller teabag of powdered spices.

bak-kut-teh-spices.jpg

I’m reposting the cooking instructions for both brands, and I’ve also added below, what I used in mine (along with splitting the difference between the two sets of instructions).
A1 is the worst, taste like salt water sewer

Annunaki

Alfrescian
Loyal
Owned 5 room HDB and 3 condos, Wear AP watch and drive Vellifre but few months Covid immediately begged for money.

A4213ACE-3E20-4E8E-8F28-F349882E3292.gif

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bak kut teh v nice meh? Lol.... if u go for the Malaysian ones maybe. But then it’s usually overpriced. Small bowl of soup and throw u 2 big bones without much meat. U are better off eating chicken rice.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Owned 5 room HDB and 3 condos, Wear AP watch and drive Vellifre but few months Covid immediately begged for money.

Covid fucked over many F&B and hospitality businesses.

But he probably knew that most Sinkies are daft and easily convinced to part with their money by a sob story published on social media. :biggrin:

countryman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bak kut teh v nice meh? Lol.... if u go for the Malaysian ones maybe. But then it’s usually overpriced. Small bowl of soup and throw u 2 big bones without much meat. U are better off eating chicken rice.
Find that SG style BKT is still better than
Mudland BKT due to the clear peppery taste broth imo.. But to each his own!

CPTMiller

Alfrescian
Loyal
Covid fucked over many F&B and hospitality businesses.

But he probably knew that most Sinkies are daft and easily convinced to part with their money by a sob story published on social media. :biggrin:
He learn from the successful government officials crying skills.
It works for him.
Full house at balestier main branch queue all the way to road side

ilovechinesegal

Alfrescian
Loyal
No malay will deliver this food.
Besides it a horrid tasting chinese food.
Its soup will just soiled the motorbike's food container
Who says! So many m&ds da bao non halal food! Lol! U gonna miss great food in your lifetime! All my ah neh friends love bak ku teh!