• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Son of Founder Bak Kut Teh Sucking Our Dicks Now! Begging Us To Save His Bak Kut Teh Bizness With 30% Discount! Sales Drop By 85%!

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks for the link houses look nice. I checked NZ properties (Wellington) dunno why houses mostly built of wood and from 50s and 60s
earthquake cuntry plus climate is dryer allowing wood and drywall to be used extensively for housing. easier, faster, and cheaper to custom build homes with wood and drywall.

LordElrond

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
You will be disappointed then.

Almost all the houses in Calgary are built out of wood too.

Wood frame. Then Drywall.

Concrete is expensive and with the seasons very cold then very hot can cause cracks.

But yes fire risk is very dangerous here.
That is something I don’t understand, but then I’ve never done research. My siblings house in Oz also not exactly concrete... something like... double layer of wood.

spotter542

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Back to the topic about food :biggrin:
Hoe Nam Prawn Noodles 31 Tai Thong Crescent ( 347859 ) also change hands recently
They used to be quite good when I first ate there around 2007

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Thanks for the link houses look nice. I checked NZ properties (Wellington) dunno why houses mostly built of wood and from 50s and 60s
20200715_120309.jpg

Taken from my furnace room. See the wood frame? And the walls are drywall. Gypsum board

20200715_120403.jpg

20200715_120322.jpg

Or wood

20200715_120345.jpg

20200715_120351.jpg

LordElrond

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
You will be disappointed then.

Almost all the houses in Calgary are built out of wood too.

Wood frame. Then Drywall.

Concrete is expensive and with the seasons very cold then very hot can cause cracks.

But yes fire risk is very dangerous here.
And one thing I don’t understand in angmoh cuntry as well... houses mostly not fenced up. Isn’t it too easy for “unlawful entry”???

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
And one thing I don’t understand in angmoh cuntry as well... houses mostly not fenced up. Isn’t it too easy for “unlawful entry”???

Even if fence also no lock!

yes indeed very easy to "unlawful entry". Our windows also glass no grills. Doors no padlock.

So you are right. If someone wants to break in they can easily do it. But is quite safe place lah. At least in Canada. Some people don't even lock their doors. Depends on your neighborhood though.

So we have alarm. Sensors. Monitored. So if someone breaks in. The alarm triggers the company will call me. If cannot get me they call my friend I listed. If cannot then send guard to check. If bad call police.

Same for smoke detector.

We also have Carbon Monoxide detector.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Our homes are designed to keep heat in. Well insulated.

So much so during summer we turn on Air Conditioning. Especially top floor becomes very hot. The hot sun on the roof. And then heat rises.

Where I am posting from is the basement which is usually cold. Thats why I have in floor heating for use during winter.

That is something I don’t understand, but then I’ve never done research. My siblings house in Oz also not exactly concrete... something like... double layer of wood.
https://www.activesustainability.com/construction-and-urban-development/sustainable-construction-wooden-house/#:~:text=Wood does not act as,much more sustainable construction house.&text=Canadian houses are built quickly,traditional concrete and brick homes.

Advantages of wooden houses
Wood does not act as a thermal bridge, but as insulation, therefore keeping the house cool in the summer and warm in the winter, which makes it a much more sustainable construction house. Savings have been calculated to be between 50% and 60% per year in heating and air conditioning.

The walls in Canadian houses include a material that not only insulates from outside noise, but also helps steady the temperature: it can be rock wool, lamb wool, recycled cotton, etc., all of which are ecological materials with 0 oil-derivatives.

The materials used for finishing can be any, from materials made of pressed wood, natural stone, artificial stone, tile, shale, etc., which minimizes construction maintenance.

Wooden house interiors are warmed

Among the family of wooden houses, Canadian houses are not pre-manufactured: they last longer than a traditional home and require less maintenance.

Canadian houses are built quickly and are 30% cheaper than traditional concrete and brick homes.

LordElrond

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
https://www.activesustainability.com/construction-and-urban-development/sustainable-construction-wooden-house/#:~:text=Wood does not act as,much more sustainable construction house.&text=Canadian houses are built quickly,traditional concrete and brick homes.

Advantages of wooden houses
Wood does not act as a thermal bridge, but as insulation, therefore keeping the house cool in the summer and warm in the winter, which makes it a much more sustainable construction house. Savings have been calculated to be between 50% and 60% per year in heating and air conditioning.

The walls in Canadian houses include a material that not only insulates from outside noise, but also helps steady the temperature: it can be rock wool, lamb wool, recycled cotton, etc., all of which are ecological materials with 0 oil-derivatives.

The materials used for finishing can be any, from materials made of pressed wood, natural stone, artificial stone, tile, shale, etc., which minimizes construction maintenance.

Wooden house interiors are warmed

Among the family of wooden houses, Canadian houses are not pre-manufactured: they last longer than a traditional home and require less maintenance.

Canadian houses are built quickly and are 30% cheaper than traditional concrete and brick homes.
That explains... makes sense

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
That explains... makes sense

Windows are also another whole industry on its own.

The windows have to be built to be insulated. Also be tight when closed (for those windows that open eg casements and sliders). There are also double pane and triple pane windows. Two layers or 3 layers of glass with argon gas in between. Actually not so important to have triple or double pane. The coatings are more important. Special coatings can keep heat in and keep sun out etc.

But very expensive. To change all 29 windows in my house will cost around CAD$25k.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Windows are also another whole industry on its own.

The windows have to be built to be insulated. Also be tight when closed (for those windows that open eg casements and sliders). There are also double pane and triple pane windows. Two layers or 3 layers of glass with argon gas in between. Actually not so important to have triple or double pane. The coatings are more important. Special coatings can keep heat in and keep sun out etc.

But very expensive. To change all 29 windows in my house will cost around CAD$25k.
It cost more than that sum, when we changed to Pella windows, years ago, and fewer windows.
I heard Magic Windows from Vaughan, Ontario, is better.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The table I use for my office is from IKEA. So is the side table with the grey sofa bed. And the table behind with the succulent plant.
that standing lamp also looks like an ikea design. no wonder ikea is doing so well pre-pandamic.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
It cost more than that sum, when we changed to Pella windows, years ago, and fewer windows.
I heard Magic Windows from Vaughan, Ontario, is better.

I actually did get a quote.

Cos my master bedroom casement window wasnt opening and closing properly.

We asked around nobody wants to repair. All want to replace. But they will quote $1500 to replace one window and it will look different from all the old windows. So suggest replacing all.

The best deal I got was $19975.

In the end I repaired it myself.