• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Son of Founder Bak Kut Teh Sucking Our Dicks Now! Begging Us To Save His Bak Kut Teh Bizness With 30% Discount! Sales Drop By 85%!

Ralders

Alfrescian
Loyal
Selling fuging expensive and still beg.

Another is song fa which targets tourists from tiongkok.

Up lorry lah.
Selling so expensive and dares openly ask for support.

Let it drag longer and new and better will appear.

Ralders

Alfrescian
Loyal
at kranji coffeeshop near the temple, there is a hidden bkt gem during lunch hour. they sell herbal malaysian hokkien style ba kut teh. 5-6 bucks and is WAY nicer than founder's and the Ya Hua. it is not just meat and soup, it has a lot of mushroom, tao kee, vege etc. not your typical singaporean bkt. but problem is not very accessible that place.
This is hokkien style.
Darker in colour. True herbs and time consuming

Common white peppery is teochew which of course is a scam as only pepper , rock sugar and plenty of salt is used.
Meant for tourists

Ralders

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hokkien-style Bak Kut Teh at Bedok Corner

2703810388_50e27f3756_o.jpg
2703810388_50e27f3756_o.jpg

Bedok Corner is not all about Malay food, of course. Right across from the Muslim stalls is probably one of the most non-halal of Chinese dishes - bak kut teh (pork bone tea) and pig organ soup. But warm soup is great for a cold, rainy day. And interestingly, this hawker seems to offer the Hokkien-style broth, which is darker (from use of soy sauce) and less commonly available than the Teochew counterpart which is clear and peppery. Hmmm, you could call Hokkien-style bak kut teh the shoyu version and Teochew-style the shio version!

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
at kranji coffeeshop near the temple, there is a hidden bkt gem during lunch hour. they sell herbal malaysian hokkien style ba kut teh. 5-6 bucks and is WAY nicer than founder's and the Ya Hua. it is not just meat and soup, it has a lot of mushroom, tao kee, vege etc. not your typical singaporean bkt. but problem is not very accessible that place.
I prefer the clear broth type. Ya hua is just nice for me. Especially after a night out drinking.

Ralders

Alfrescian
Loyal
I prefer the clear broth type. Ya hua is just nice for me. Especially after a night out drinking.
Ya hua is good at outram .
But family conflict

Branch out

Outram Park Ya Hua Bak Kut Teh, which serves one of the best Bak Kut Teh that Singapore has to offer.

Fortunately, Mr Frankie Gwee (‘Ah How’), the owner of Outram Park Ya Hua Bak Kut Teh, has recently set up a Bak Kut Teh restaurant in Tiong Bahru, bringing the same tantalizing Pork Ribs Soup to more people. Nay, it’s even better since he is personally managing the restaurant.

The new establishment goes by the name《团缘》 or ‘Tuan Yuan Pork Ribs Soup’. Before you raise issues with the apparent mistake in the Chinese characters: No, their Chinese name is not an error but a clever pun on words, with a deeper significance.

tuan-yuan-bak-kut-teh-singapore-2312.jpg

Mr Frankie a nice and humble boss.

Read more: https://sethlui.com/tuan-yuan-bak-kut-teh-singapore-review/#ixzz6SHTXYgSR

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is hokkien style.
Darker in colour. True herbs and time consuming

Common white peppery is teochew which of course is a scam as only pepper , rock sugar and plenty of salt is used.
Meant for tourists
Maybe I am getting older... preferring more subtle tastes.

In cooking the more simple flavours are, the more difficult it is to make it delicious. Have to rely on freshness of ingredients and good timing instead of masking it with heavy spices

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Kranji where?

Ralders

Alfrescian
Loyal
Frankie on the set and was surprised to learn that he had sold Outram Park Ya Hua and now operates Tuan Yuan with with son and daughter decided to go into the bak kut teh business after completing their studies.

When I realized that Frankie was at the helm, my whole impression of the place changed. Outram Park Ya Hua is easily on my top five bak kut teh list since I first blogged about them in 2007.

His insistence on boiling the soup in three stages, with more pork bones added at each stage stems out of his personal tragedy years ago which left him blind in one eye and a disfigured face. At the time, he was working at a bak kut teh shop and the doctors attributed his quick healing to his regular diet of pork bone soup. Since then, he has made it his life mission to make sure that all his customers get to drink a soup which is not only tasty but also highly nutritious!

He uses only fresh Indonesian pork and the quality is evident. His prime ribs are tender, juicy and really tasty. They are cooked in a separate pot where the soup is a little more salty in order to adequately season the meat. The ribs are simmered to perfection, set aside and only added to

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Xiang Lai Bak Kut Teh, 259 Kranji Rd, Singapore 739505
Kumsia
Pass by that food court numerous time when reservist at Gedong, only been at the food court a couple time for breakfast at 6am. That many years ago, didn't notice bkt stall.
The next time go LCK cemetery, can stop over for lunch.

Last edited:

Ralders

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ng ah sio bkt

Rangoon Road lies just off the bustling district of Little India, a quiet four-lane thoroughfare lined with shophouses. These days, the gentrifying neighbourhood is a mish mash of third-wave coffee joints, hardware shops and little eateries. More unusually, the street is known for a beloved local dish — a number of bak kut teh shops call Rangoon Road their home, the most established being Ng Ah Sio Bak Kut Teh, which set up shop there in 1988.

Ralders

Alfrescian
Loyal
4510a900faed46eab034663f7669b9ee_Mr+Ng+Siak+Hai+(Ng+Ah+Sio).jpg

Named after founder Ng Siak Hai’s nickname, Ng Ah Sio serves up its signature peppery Teochew-style pork ribs soup made from the same recipe that dates back all the way to the 1950s when Ng’s father started selling bak kut teh from a streetside cart in the present-day River Valley and Hill Street vicinity.

“I was still a very young child back then, but I remember that bak kut teh was only 80 cents a bowl and the fried you tiao were short fritters, unlike the long ones we have today,” he says. He recalls seeing his father wake up at 5am every day to cook the bak kut teh. “He only prepared about 20 jin (12kg) of pork ribs a day. It sold out very quickly — we often had customers who complained that they had made wasted trips as we no longer had any left when they came to dine.”

Growing up in a Teochew household, Ng was raised on a diet of simple Teochew dishes, light, nourishing soups, steamed fish and his father’s bak kut teh. Bak kut teh, which translates directly to “meat bone tea”, is a rich soup brewed from pork ribs and cloves of old garlic and other aromatics. While there are several varieties of this soup, the Teochew style stands out for its lighter coloured base and peppery kick, eaten with steamed rice and fried dough fritters, and usually accompanied with a strong brew of Chinese tea to cut through the richness of the broth.

Michelin Standard

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ng ah sio bkt

Rangoon Road lies just off the bustling district of Little India, a quiet four-lane thoroughfare lined with shophouses. These days, the gentrifying neighbourhood is a mish mash of third-wave coffee joints, hardware shops and little eateries. More unusually, the street is known for a beloved local dish — a number of bak kut teh shops call Rangoon Road their home, the most established being Ng Ah Sio Bak Kut Teh, which set up shop there in 1988.
Wahhh this one was damn horrible after they sold it to Jumbo. I brought some overseas guests to eat there around 2013 and almost fainted at the big drop in standard.

Hopefully they have upped their game since ...