• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Something SPF Police Should But Not Trained To Do

HellAngel

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do you think he will know how is it like to patrol the street, alone?

With no ground experience and leading the force, how good can the policy be? SPF has too many scholars and starting to lose touch with the ground.

DirOps-LKT.jpg

When I was eighteen, I decided to take up the Singapore Police Force (SPF) Scholarship. I believed that the scholarship would offer an excellent opportunity to see me through university after completing my ‘A’ level studies, and an exciting career which would also allow me to serve others. In addition, I felt that given the dynamic nature of SPF, it would be a perfect place for me to experience new challenges regularly and to hone my leadership skills.

Undoubtedly, SPF offers an extraordinary career with never-ending opportunities for officers to take on various leadership positions both at the policy-making and implementation levels. For example, I have been an Investigation Officer tasked with solving crime and coming into close contact with the various echelons of the society, an Assistant Director drawing up contingency plans to manage crisis situations, the Commander of a Police Division leading my officers in operations, as well as my current position as Director of Operations providing leadership to the units, among other postings. In all these positions, I have been able to see how policies and command changes have taken shape on the ground and how they have made a positive impact to the people. Every time, I feel a deep sense of satisfaction and accomplishment.

The strong emphasis on working in partnership with the community, and other government and private agencies requires one to be good at consulting and explaining policies to different groups of people with very diverse backgrounds. Close collaboration with other partners has also sharpened my networking skills and helped me to resolve and overcome key challenges.

The varied experiences offered by the SPF keep me motivated and wanting to do more. This still holds true after 15 years in the SPF.

AC Lim Kok Thai
Director of Operations
Local Merit Scholarship (LMS) Recipient

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
2 school of thought. one felt having drawn firearm will incite more violence as the quarry / suspect will feel threatened and when a human felt threatened, there is no knowing how / the extent of the reaction.

and compared to other countries, there are NSFs matas in SG. these young punks are usually hot headed and what happen if they presume wrongly and pull trigger on innocent / harmless man? Even in army during range, there are many cases of misfiring or recruits squeezing off before order to shoot comes down - resulting in signing extras.

I thought mata has strict operating prototcol - you operate in pair, you warn the suspect, you draw your firearm, you warn, warning shot, fire at legs, etc...?

Regarding the case where the firearm is being snatched, the likelihood of happening is minimised if, the mata operate in pairs, the firearm is secured via lanyard? Of cse, there can be the case where the mata is knocked out and the suspect can grab the firearm off him thereafter.

I would still prefer to have mata holster their sidearms first. We are not in US where we deal with cowboy land type of violence.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yes...slow reflex..slow reflex...& the burgalr most likely "member" or "kawan'ku" type, so compacent, what has it got to do with drawing out the firearms, even with that out, the suspect can resist, it either he or him....most likely HIM! I read about this case, this was ages ago...:p

Drawing out firearms first means that it's in your hand first. Whole world of difference. Difference between life and death.

Do you think he will know how is it like to patrol the street, alone?

With no ground experience and leading the force, how good can the policy be? SPF has too many scholars and starting to lose touch with the ground.

If he goes out on patrol alone, he'll most likely be back in an ambulance or hearse. Someone earlier posted that patrol officers aren't supposed to split and patrol or pursue suspect alone. That's not true. Foot patrol, bicycle patrol, vertical highrise patrol, police post desk duty all are done with a lone ranger officer.

DPC and FRC have the luxury of two officers per car, one driver and one vehicle commander. Detectives and investigators usually drive out alone too in case of emergency, not planned operation with a whole contingent. Police officers must be trained to operate and survive alone. In the US, especially small towns, the usual police modus operandi is one officer per car only, doubling up as driver and vehicle commander, sometimes even tripling up as investigator. Only in big cities do they assign two officers per car. Singapore is mostly big city area, that I agree. But the ability of police officers to operate and survive alone must be trained and ready too.

Last edited:

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The PTT was summoned to the scene of the crime to form a dragnet to find the now reclassified attempted murderer. Somewhere near Tampines Street 11 on the edge of the PIE, a shot rang out and an NSF PTT trooper armed with an M16 was shot in the chest. He was saved by his bullet proof vest that left a big blue black mark on his chest. At the hospital when interviewed after treatment, he jubilantly declared it was "Shiok" and that he was considering signing on! The gunman was arrested.

the burglar must be a superb pistol shooter to score a hit with a S&W .38 on the chest from a distance against a rifleman. But to use M16 a bit too much firepower liao, further more a 5.56 round too strong liao as any stray round can kill innocent bystander. Shouldn't the HK 9mm a better choice?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the burglar must be a superb pistol shooter to score a hit with a S&W .38 on the chest from a distance against a rifleman. But to use M16 a bit too much firepower liao, further more a 5.56 round too strong liao as any stray round can kill innocent bystander. Shouldn't the HK 9mm a better choice?

For a copkiller, we'd have brought out machine guns, cannons and tanks if we had those. But too bad, M16 was the best we had then.

Last edited:

HellAngel

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sadly, that is reality that some will patrol alone but these scholars still refuse to see that. Just ask anyone of them to just do a simple check on suspect along the street and they will tremble. I have seen that before. Some cannot even answer properly when questioned by public. Many of them are just good at paper work.

DPC and FRC have the luxury of two officers per car, one driver and one vehicle commander. Detectives and investigators usually drive out alone too in case of emergency, not planned operation with a whole contingent. Police officers must be trained to operate and survive alone. In the US, especially small towns, the usual police modus operandi is one officer per car only, doubling up as driver and vehicle commander, sometimes even tripling up as investigator. Only in big cities do they assign two officers per car. Singapore is mostly big city area, that I agree. But the ability of police officers to operate and survive alone must be trained and ready too.

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Aren't you the Bastard AIO From Hell (a la Bastard Operator from Hell) who carries a spare pistal, shoots the suspect and then plants the pistol in his hand?

I have some friends in SFPD and LAPD. Sometimes they amazed me, for the slightest traffic or miscellaneous offense, they drew out their firearms. I told them had I did that whilst at SPF, I'd be complained and condemned to hell, at least a charge of criminal intimidation.

They laughed it off. They said it's not about the degree of the offense, it's about the degree of the resistance. When there's resistance, regardless of offense, the firearms should be drawn and held on hand, ready to fire but not necessarily intent on firing. For if the suspect had concealed weapon drawn first, you'd be the injured or even dead one. Or even worse, in a resisting struggle, the suspect snatched your firearms.

The old PA just trained us to draw out firearms only when we see suspects with dangerous weapons first. One step behind already. I think HA TraCom (new PA) should send a delegation to US to study their street law enforcement trainings. We have many foreigners here. Our police must be better trained.

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have some friends in SFPD and LAPD. Sometimes they amazed me, for the slightest traffic or miscellaneous offense, they drew out their firearms. I told them had I did that whilst at SPF, I'd be complained and condemned to hell, at least a charge of criminal intimidation.

They laughed it off. They said it's not about the degree of the offense, it's about the degree of the resistance. When there's resistance, regardless of offense, the firearms should be drawn and held on hand, ready to fire but not necessarily intent on firing. For if the suspect had concealed weapon drawn first, you'd be the injured or even dead one. Or even worse, in a resisting struggle, the suspect snatched your firearms.

The old PA just trained us to draw out firearms only when we see suspects with dangerous weapons first. One step behind already. I think HA TraCom (new PA) should send a delegation to US to study their street law enforcement trainings. We have many foreigners here. Our police must be better trained.

different lah............over in US, anyone also got gun mah..............

some more, S'poreans got no balls to resist cops.............

maikonglanjiaowei

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many SPF are conscripted NSFs reluctant to do police works. Since got a gun might as well play play and show off a bit. Nothing much better to do than wasting 2 years of your youth life. Who the fuck cares these days serving full time NSF knowing when they finish NSF it is harder to find jobs and they might get the same NSF wages or competing with low cost FTs.

konglanjiaowei

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Many SPF are conscripted NSFs reluctant to do police works. Since got a gun might as well play play and show off a bit. Nothing much better to do than wasting 2 years of your youth life. Who the fuck cares these days serving full time NSF knowing when they finish NSF it is harder to find jobs and they might get the same NSF wages or competing with low cost FTs.

Troll class A like me will stalk postings of other trolls. Let's see how you progress. Either a promotion from me or demotion. :biggrin:

UCLuvv05

Alfrescian
Loyal
2 school of thought. one felt having drawn firearm will incite more violence as the quarry / suspect will feel threatened and when a human felt threatened, there is no knowing how / the extent of the reaction.

and compared to other countries, there are NSFs matas in SG. these young punks are usually hot headed and what happen if they presume wrongly and pull trigger on innocent / harmless man? Even in army during range, there are many cases of misfiring or recruits squeezing off before order to shoot comes down - resulting in signing extras.

This is quite true... I think our younger generation are too immature to handle firearms. Youngsters in countries with gun culture tend to better understand the implications of using and carrying guns. When I was an NSF, there was this incident where a recruit nearly got shot during a 300m live-fire rundown. Each shooter had to fire X amount of rounds (can't remember) at each bound (300m,200m, 100m and 50m). Each shooter had an assistant (people from details that were not firing) to help him clear IAs and double-check/echo commands by the range control. When the 50m shooters were on the line, the 300m shooters would be taking up position behind them and commands would be issued for the 50m shooters to fire. Somehow, this cockster and his assistant at the 300m bound mistook the command issued to 50m as their green light to fire and they did, sending 5-6 rounds downrange toward the 50m shooters. Luckily nobody was injured, but it was pretty scary seeing the tracer rounds flying over our heads and to our sides. The recruit was only put on SOL 14days in the end and those peeps at the 50m bound have a nice story to tell their grandchildren about :biggrin:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
different lah............over in US, anyone also got gun mah..............

some more, S'poreans got no balls to resist cops.............

True, true. When I lived in US, as a civilian, I also carried firearms. Hand guns can be bought from gunshops and even pawnshops as if shopping in grocery stores. Rifles can be bought in supermarkets. Ammos are sold by boxes. But if you re-read my post, my point is there're many foreigners now in Singapore who aren't the typical no balls to resist cops type. Singapore police must be trained to handle them too. So as to perform their duties, protect themselves and others.

Once upon a time...

PC Ram : Sir, here's the guy I spotchecked on the street and screened wanted for AWOL.

Lta. GMS : That fucktard bastard always causing trouble with AWOL. You can beat him up properly all you like, just don't break any bone.

PC Ram : Sir, I already have. He's just discharged from Changi hospital, just barely able to walk.

Lta. GMS : Well done. I'll make sure he spends the next month in Kranji DB.

PC Ram : Sir, just curious, army has many high firepower weapons, what do you with do these?

Lta. GMS : Oh, sometimes we go Australia, Brunei, Thailand, Taiwan etc. to shoot animals for BBQ.

PC Ram : Sounds exciting and exotic. Do you shoot and eat dog meat too?

Lta. GMS : No shooting of dogs. Greenpeace lunatics are fanatics over dogs. Want dog meat? Next time I bring you Guangzhou.

Since then, Ram and GMS became buddies.

jw5

Loyal
Lta. GMS : That fucktard bastard always causing trouble with AWOL. You can beat him up properly all you like, just don't break any bone.

GMS got say things like "fucktard bastard" one meh?
Wouldn't he say "slimy insect" instead? :biggrin:

arainz

Alfrescian
Loyal
For SG, just extend the tonfa to the suspect when approaching them shld suffice. shld make a longer version for better reach.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
GMS got say things like "fucktard bastard" one meh?
Wouldn't he say "slimy insect" instead? :biggrin:

GMS will use more foul-mouthed language on you than your dick can imagine if you're an NCO under him. That's the army!

Last edited:

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sylvia was an Insp. too. There have been quite a few others too, but not that successful to be noted. In fact, police produced disproportionately more opposition members. Except HCH, I can't think of any former senior police officers in PAP, whereas it glaringly obvious that PAP is full of former army colonels and generals.

Good question as to why police produced more opposition members. Fertile ground? Hahaaaaaa.

Not only HCH. Heng Swee Keat, Patrick Tay, Ang Wei Ning, Ong Kian Min.