• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Some martial arts myths

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I thought we'll take a break from the whining and cursing, and discuss a different topic. Been learning a martial art for 2 years and would like to share what i learnt.
Myths vs truths.....

So do you believe that martial art came from Greece??

Greece - Pankration
India
China - Shaolin
Korea
Japan

peasantJUDGE

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are currently several martial arts being taught in singapore.

Can you recommend some please? Something that you can learn to adequately defend yourself if such need arise. (Tai Chi is not a martial right, as taught at the community centres?)

Thank you.

Aikido. This martial art has no sparring sessions, only practice, because one wrong move can leave you with a broken wrist or neck.

Sammael

Alfrescian
Loyal
Qi Gong and Nei Gong is a myth.

They are real. I have seen and experienced it. The problem is too many frauds using their claims to cheat others, which leads everyone to dismiss all qigong practitioners as frauds.

One fraudster is from Nam Wah Pai - awarded himself 10 dan! Overcharges his students by the thousands; rewards himself with big limo; stays in big bungalow & own many properties......... Calls himself grandmaster! HUH!

Sammael

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are currently several martial arts being taught in singapore.

Can you recommend some please? Something that you can learn to adequately defend yourself if such need arise. (Tai Chi is not a martial right, as taught at the community centres?)

Thank you.

=============

Start with qigong for strength n power - later you can move on to tui shou & fajing.........

From Nam Wah Taiji Gong Association (Geylang Lorong 7):

Affordable and Effective Taijigong Basic Health Course commences soon.

Contents include:

1. Deep Organs Release

2. Building Qi in the 12 Meridian Lines (Acupressure Lines)

3. Using Qi to massage major parts of the body

4. Building Qi in the Gate of Life area (Kidneys system)

5. Building Qi in the all major Internal Organs

6. Loosening 15 main sections of the body including all major joints

7. Activating the Dan Tien, the body's basic energy centre

8. Energizing the Cells

No hard-Qi exercises, no breaking bricks, or breaking sticks! Only pure soft internal Qi Gong for your Good Health!

Class Dates and Time:
26 Nov - 14 Jan
Every Wednesday

7.15pm to 9.15pm.

Total 8 weeks.

Classes in English and Chinese
Taught by Graded Instructor Sharon Tan, Overseen by Senior Teacher Sim Pern Yiau

Venue:
World Nam Wah Taijigong Association
6C Geylang Lorong 7
(Near Kallang MRT)

Limited Free Parking available.

Lessons are cumulative for easy remembering:
week 1- Lesson A
week 2- Lesson A+B
week 3- Lesson A+B+C
and so on.

If you happen to miss any lessons, don't worry, we will help you catch up.

Fees $300 per person payable preferably in cheque, then cash.
3rd Person onwards in family ($50 discount).

Limited places for this class. First Registered first served.
Please reply with
1. Full Name
2. Nationality (If non-local, please state status in Singapore)
3. Gender

Crossed cheques payable to World Nam Wah Taiji Gong Association.
Please DO NOT send cheque before you have registered and received confirmation reply from me. Thanks!

--
Sim Pern Yiau
Wu Tu Nan Taijigong
(World Nam Wah Taiji Gong Association)
6C Geylang Lor 7 Singapore 388790
www.WuTuNanTaijiGong.com
Mobile 9338 4830

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
Aikido. This martial art has no sparring sessions, only practice, because one wrong move can leave you with a broken wrist or neck.

that also another bullshit martial art which has no practical usage. somehow its good for getting close in contact with girls. aikido girls are damn fucking hot and have nice boobs. i love it when their faces are covered with sweat rolling on the floor

i ever wack a 2nd dan aikido master upside down in a more or less no rules sparring. its not practical in real life all out fight. if you are thinking close contact its useful esp when someone grab you etc, bullshit. when i roll him to the ground he is dead.

i believe the current MMA scene in singapore is very much more matured as compared to the times when i am active. i heard there are more and more bjj fighters coming in to sg to spread the sports.

aikido groundwork is shit compared to judo and jiujitsu. 10 years of aikido groundwork lose out to my 1 year of shitty MMA grabbling experience.

ANYWAY i strongly advise people not to learn any single martial art. if you find that you have too much time to spar, go learn piano or guitar at least its more practical in helping you to bed a girl.

Sammael

Alfrescian
Loyal

Takes many years...qigong only 2 mths: strong enough to take blows & if you got hit by a qigong guy - you will be a cripple!

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
lol qi gong, only certain area they train can take the hit. they will tap on the area for you to hit. hit else where you see they got knocked out. i believe in qigoing, but the thing is in real life fight, where got time for you to yun qi for 5 mins?

but from the adv i believe you are from nan hua pai, they are real traditional kf and qi going good for health. but not as a form of self defense as compared to MMA consisting of grabbling and ground fight.(personal opinion)

however in sg you learn all these for fuck? we have world class poodle. the ah beng that create trouble these days only talk loudly but no actions.

in another word, all martial arts are bullshit in local context, go learn piano or guitar as its much more practical in helping you to bed a girl.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My 2nd Sargent who was 3rd dan in TKD was knock out flat by a 17 year old mat during ns. He was practicing for some martial arts event and was sparring with this mat with no martial art experience.

It goes to show that no martial art can teach you how to take a punch.

what??? Mats again?????/

Anyway mats are good at backstabbing.

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
u fren wif tis uncle? ... where 2 find him? ... :biggrin:

High hand leh... where got so easy can find... he may oni appear when u try 2 jump down frm a cliff... if no cliff... jump down frm PIE flyover oso can...:biggrin::p:biggrin:

angry_one

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi,

Lots of comments here, so i'll just snap reply them with my own views.

When i talk of martial arts, I'm actually referring to "real, practical martial arts" not wayang arts like fighting in the ring or exhibitions. There are martial arts very effective for real life self-defense, like krav maga, Xinyi quan, kickboxing, boxing etc.

Some of you are condemning the TKD and other schools here. I think there's no such thing as "a martial art is lousy", but "a martial ARTIST is lousy". I bet at the old, traditional level, TKD can be very effective, but maybe the schools here teach watered-down versions.

Tai chi is orginally a martial art. The type practised by old folks at comm centres is a watered-down version.

Part of real martial art is conditioning yourself to take a hit. So, it's true, if you can't take a hit you suck. Qi gong and physical conditioning do that for you. At the highest level, you don't even need to "store power" for the qi to protect you at any point. But it'll take decades to hit that level unless you train full time.

It's true that people (girls) aren't generally impressed by any expertise in martial art. Many girls hate it if you get into fights outside. That's why it should be approached as an art you practice for self-development and last resort defense, not to get into fights.

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Qi Gong and Nei Gong is a myth.

They are real. I have seen and experienced it. The problem is too many frauds using their claims to cheat others, which leads everyone to dismiss all qigong practitioners as frauds.

One fraudster is from Nam Wah Pai - awarded himself 10 dan! Overcharges his students by the thousands; rewards himself with big limo; stays in big bungalow & own many properties......... Calls himself grandmaster! HUH!

May be you should get your Shifu to challenge him in an open fight to reveal the fraudster.

Last edited: