• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Some martial arts myths

angry_one

Alfrescian
Loyal
I thought we'll take a break from the whining and cursing, and discuss a different topic. Been learning a martial art for 2 years and would like to share what i learnt.

Myths vs truths.....

1. Martial artists are very fit and have no problems getting IPPT gold.

Might be true for styles like boxing, where you need intense training to last a long match. But many practitioners train specially to survive a real fight, there is no need for great strength or stamina. Technique/ hitting the right places is most important.

2. Real martial arts moves are as awesome as Jackie Chan/Jet Li moves.

There are martial arts meant for exhibitions and looking good, then there are practical martial arts for self-defense. The latter usually involve short, undramatic, even ugly moves to disable an attacker in short time.

3. Real fights between top martial artists take a long time, like the movies.

A real fight usually lasts less than 10 seconds. A trained martial artist aims at the opponent’s vulnerable points and takes him out asap. Only amateurs brawl for a long time, and you can see many of these ‘street fights’ on youtube. For MMA or UFC, they have to obey rules and not use any lethal moves, thus prolonging the fight.

4. Qi Gong and Nei Gong is a myth.

They are real. I have seen and experienced it. The problem is too many frauds using their claims to cheat others, which leads everyone to dismiss all qigong practitioners as frauds.

5. Great martial artists are immune to attacks from ordinary punks.

Martial artists are still humans and if a fairly strong person can surprise him with a hit on a vulnerable spot, they’ll go down. A real right is different from a controlled match – it’s no rules and no holds barred. So even experienced fighters may not handle a real fight well.

6. Great martial artists can take on many enemies at once.

No matter how great you are you only have 2 hands, so how to block 10 attacks at once? However, the best I’ve seen is a 4-to-1 street fight in Turkey (it’s on youtube). So it depends on skill and what kind of attackers you’re dealing with.

7. Martial artists fear no one because they can use force to settle any dispute.

Making trouble is detrimental to anyone. You can beat one person, but you can’t stop his friends from threatening and harming your loved ones. If you break the law, you can’t stop policemen with guns.

A good martial art should nurture your character as well as your body – to the point of curbing your aggression. So you realize that martial arts is a fight with yourself…..not with others.

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can a martial artist defeat a tiger with his bare hands?

How about we arm him with a pail and broom?

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are currently several martial arts being taught in singapore.

Can you recommend some please? Something that you can learn to adequately defend yourself if such need arise. (Tai Chi is not a martial right, as taught at the community centres?)

Thank you.

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
being a martial artist in the past for 13 years in 3 diff styles (wing chun - fast and vicous, taekwondo - fuck up martial art for knowing girls only, grabbling - pray that your partner is not gay), i agree with what you said for most of the points.

except fitness portion, those that can really take hits are the one that is standing last in the street. in general it means conditioning and fitness. they comes in hands to hands.

i regret learning martial art, total waste of time. never use it at all in real life. i should have learn something more useful like music for impressing girls.

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Martial arts are rubbish. Self defense techniques like using a key or stiletto shoe on an attacker are more practical. The best way is to hurt your attacker severely in the shortest time possible.

Martial arts is just for fitness and show. A well trained thai kick boxer can easily beat the shit out of any martial artist.

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
My 2nd Sargent who was 3rd dan in TKD was knock out flat by a 17 year old mat during ns. He was practicing for some martial arts event and was sparring with this mat with no martial art experience.

It goes to show that no martial art can teach you how to take a punch.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Traditional saying about fighting, 一胆,二凶,三功夫。

First courage, then determination, then martial arts.

Many karake and taekwondo exponents have been beaten up by ah bengs who know nuts about martial arts.

Last edited:

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal
Problem is martial art practitioners preaches discipline in their own respective art hence when they sparred, it is against an equally disciplined practitioners. But if put up against one that does not follow a set pattern or style then how?

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do you really believe the Wu Song story? Water Margin or Moat Margin? :biggrin:

Actually the true is Wu Song did not da lao fu what he actually killed was a lao shu...but in his drunken state he mispronounced lao shu to lao fu...hence forth everyone came to only know the WU SONG DA LAO FU story...:biggrin::biggrin:

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Martial arts is trash. I once knew of a TKD black belt dan 3 many years back who was once with his nephew. A couple of guys started making fun of them. This guy fought and drove them away. The next day the two guys came back with 7 other guys and this time they beat him up with bicycle chains. So what could he do? If I want to get even with someone, why should I fight? I'll get others to beat him up. In that way, I'll save myself of some injuries that I would otherwise suffer.

lolabunny

Alfrescian
Loyal
being a martial artist in the past for 13 years in 3 diff styles (wing chun - fast and vicous, taekwondo - fuck up martial art for knowing girls only, grabbling - pray that your partner is not gay), i agree with what you said for most of the points.

except fitness portion, those that can really take hits are the one that is standing last in the street. in general it means conditioning and fitness. they comes in hands to hands.

i regret learning martial art, total waste of time. never use it at all in real life. i should have learn something more useful like music for impressing girls.

that's true. as a girl, i much prefer the guy play me a tune on the guitar than try to impress me with his ability to catch flies using chopsticks. :wink:

unfortunately, he didn't succeed, because at least i would know it doesn't just happen in movies -- ie: catching flies with chopsticks. :smile:

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do you really believe the Wu Song story? Water Margin or Moat Margin? :biggrin:

I was told that Wu Song was a fictional character

Anyway, my favourite character from Water Margin is his sister-in-law Pan Jin Lian. I've watched alot of movies about her :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

lolabunny

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was told that Wu Song was a fictional character

Anyway, my favourite character from Water Margin is his sister-in-law Pan Jin Lian. I've watched alot of movies about her :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

The movies aren't as good as the book. You'll find more nubile female characters in the Golden Lotus. :smile::p

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
can fly 2 roof top 1 anot? ... :p

Can... but make sure u buy the guide book frm dis uncle...:biggrin::biggrin:

9986-1141535664.jpg