• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Soldiers don't train on Thursday nights. Here's why...

micromachine

Lieutenant General
Loyal
"Recruit Lee, where's your bloody Pack 4?" my Sergeant Major screams in the middle of the parade square, drawing hundreds of eyes on me. He is a rough man, my Sergeant Major - the only soldier in the battalion who voluntarily completed the Ranger course twice. And now, for the first time since my enlistment, I am on the receiving end of his harsh dressing down - something we recruits actively try to avoid every day.

"It's... It's err..." I stammer, scanning around my open field pack, half hoping I could find my Pack 4, half certain I had forgotten to pack it. I clench my jaws, bracing myself for his rain of profanities. My Sergeant Major is exactly how you'd picture an elite soldier. Rugged built. Biceps the size of my thighs. A face so coarse, he could make sandpaper smooth. The only thing one may find comical is his voice - he has the pitch of an adolescent girl. You would think that hampered his masculinity but it only made him more terrifying. Every time his shrill vocal darts pierce through the air, my scrotum would tighten a little harder. Now that I'm the target board, my testicles have drawn straight into my body, seeking refuge from his verbal acid.

"Recruit Lee, you useless sack of swine shit. Do you think this is your father's army? Do you need your fuc-"

"Sergeant Major, it's here" my buddy, Lam, holds up a Pack 4 before tossing it to me. "It was just beside his field pack."

My Sergeant Major shoots me a look of suspicion before walking away, holding his tongue for now, scouting for a new target. Staring at the Pack 4 in my hands, I realise that it's not mine. I turn to Lam who gives me a thumbs up and continues aligning his field pack items.

This guy. How does he do it?

I met Recruit Lam 6 weeks ago, while we were shaving our heads for Basic Military Training (BMT) induction. I was impressed by the way he spoke about his military aspirations. I was impressed when he did 28 chin ups on the bar. And as he planned our fire movement during the 5-day field camp, I had no doubt that I was in the presence of an officer in the making - an officer worthy, even back then, of the sword of honour.

I couldn't be more different from Lam. From the linguine arms that fail me during obstacle courses to my defeated disposition every morning as the alarm clock rings, I am his complete opposite. I'm not cut out for the military. Unlike Lam, it wasn't passion that brought me through the gates of national service. It was duty.

As luck would have it, a random assignment of bunk beds led to Lam being my buddy. And the guy has been picking up my slack ever since.

I thank him for passing me a Pack 4 for our field pack inspection as we prepare to move out. The mission for the next two days is a navigation exercise (navex for short) and possibly one of the few times I may be of any assistance to my section. I can read maps fairly well and during my time with the boy scouts, I honed on my compass skills. A small smile breaks out on my usually despondent face as I realise I'm actually looking forward to contributing to the section.

We move out in a 5-tonner, stealing one last glance at the concrete building that has offered respite these last 6 weeks. As hard and uncomfortable as our beds were, we would miss them these next two days as we lie spread eagle on the barren ground, unwelcomed Gullivers to the native critters of the jungle.

Full story at https://www.prolificcrap.com/forum/...ers-don-t-train-on-thursday-nights-here-s-why

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
Yes, I previously read the much briefer account. Soldier's mutilated body was found hanging during jungle trek.

hofmann

Alfrescian
Loyal
Time to bust this myth.

Original news report of the incident found here: http://eresources.nlb.gov.sg/newspapers/Digitised/Article/straitstimes19830913-1.2.34

And another seemingly credible (non-ghost story type account) here:
https://www.allsingaporestuff.com/article/ghostly-story-behind-pulau-tekong-three-door-bunk-part-1

A post-mortem showed that Tham had seemingly died of stomach rupture. His body temperature was high from the heat of the route march but he went against the advice of instructors by he gulping down massive amounts of water suddenly. It has the same effect of pouring ice cubes into a thin glass of hot water, which can cause the glass to crack. However, the post mortem also found puncture marks on his body, which could not be explained to this day.

So if we piece tgoether the final moments of recruit Tham wk, it seems he fell out of the route March unnoticed. He probably lay down off the main track and drank too much water, triggering organ shock resulting in severe stomach pain.

If he was not feeling well as claim by the 2nd article, he could be having a fever in addition to heat stroke, raising his body temp even higher, strengthening the case for organ shock.

He stumbled off in sbo and rifle to look for help, but succumbed to the pain and collapsed. He must have felt great pain in his abdomen and probably used the ET stick mentioned to hit himself there to try and relieve the pressure/pain. Probably caused the puncture and resultant rapture in the end.

RIP pte Tham. Early victim of heat injury.

Don't gulp down water after prolonged exercise. Drink in small sips.

Last edited:

Reddog

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wonder if any brother here was involved or knew about or remembers "Bersatu Padu" exercise in mudland. Quite a number of mates have now up-lorry, so ......