• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

[Sg] - 88 year old Singaporean man : Because of my WWII trauma, I can't eat fucking Jap food today!

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
yaohui-cloccupation18-0554.jpg

SINGAPORE – Over eight decades have passed, but Mr Ye Kun Chan, 88, still remembers that fateful evening like it was yesterday.

It was a Saturday, the eve of Chinese New Year, 1942. His family, unknowingly savouring the last dregs of their freedom, sat down for dinner. The then six-year-old was the first to finish and ran off to entertain himself.

Walking out of the dining room, a flash of movement caught his eye. He peered closer: The bushes were shaking violently. Then, he saw a hat – and not a normal one.

“I realised I was looking at not one, but three Japanese soldiers. I was terrified and immediately ran inside to tell my parents,” he says.

“That’s when I realised the Japanese had entered Singapore and our suffering had begun.”

He spent most of the next three years – until the end of the Japanese Occupation in September 1945 – hiding in his home in Beach Road with his older sister, shrouded in fear and misery. They subsisted on a diet of tapioca and unhusked rice, which Mr Ye says tasted of ash, “no matter how many times you washed it”.

And then there was the unimaginable cruelty. He recalls how the Japanese soldiers went on a rampage through his kampung shortly after their arrival – and what happened to his neighbours, who lived less than 100m away from his home.

“The soldiers set fire to their house. I can still remember their screaming.”

In the years that have followed, the former principal of Catholic High School has learnt to live with these memories.

He published personal essays in Chinese about his life, under the pen name Luo Ming, and even made Japanese friends. He also developed a grudging respect for Japan’s technological advancements.

Still, the writer tries his best to shun any reminders of Japan in his day-to-day life.

“I’ll eat sushi if my children buy it for me. But I won’t choose it for myself because I still feel a pain in my heart when reminded of that time,” he says in an interview at his home in Serangoon Gardens.

“Those who did not experience the Occupation would not really understand. It’s not that I simply hate everything Japanese. You have to understand the sort of suffering we went through, the circumstances of the time.”

Another survivor, Mr Tan Kim Wah, 96, refuses to touch Japanese cuisine altogether on the principle that it is the food of his oppressors.

He was 14 when the Occupation began and witnessed Japanese soldiers rounding up civilians for slaughter during Sook Ching, a mass killing that took place from Feb 18 to March 4 in 1942.

“They used a metal wire to pierce through the arms of their prisoners, stringing them together on the same wire – this made it impossible for them to escape. After that, they were loaded onto lorries to be taken to the massacre sites,” the retiree says.

Similar memories of bloody executions had haunted housewife Chew Yoke Cheng until her death at the age of 85 in 2017.

Her son, Dr Gary Lit, a 65-year-old retired academic, says: “My children like to go out to eat Japanese food, and every time they asked my mother, she would baulk at the prospect.

“Japanese restaurants sometimes displayed the national flag and other memorabilia, and it would make her shiver. She told me, ‘Every time I see a Japanese flag, my heart is gripped with fear and it starts pounding.’”

https://www.straitstimes.com/life/f...wwii-shaped-the-eating-habits-of-a-generation

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think this is the first time this kind of anti-Jap/WW2 propaganda is published on the Shitty Times during this 'special anniversary'. :rolleyes:

Devil Within

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yaohui-cloccupation18-0554.jpg

SINGAPORE – Over eight decades have passed, but Mr Ye Kun Chan, 88, still remembers that fateful evening like it was yesterday.

It was a Saturday, the eve of Chinese New Year, 1942. His family, unknowingly savouring the last dregs of their freedom, sat down for dinner. The then six-year-old was the first to finish and ran off to entertain himself.

Walking out of the dining room, a flash of movement caught his eye. He peered closer: The bushes were shaking violently. Then, he saw a hat – and not a normal one.

“I realised I was looking at not one, but three Japanese soldiers. I was terrified and immediately ran inside to tell my parents,” he says.

“That’s when I realised the Japanese had entered Singapore and our suffering had begun.”

He spent most of the next three years – until the end of the Japanese Occupation in September 1945 – hiding in his home in Beach Road with his older sister, shrouded in fear and misery. They subsisted on a diet of tapioca and unhusked rice, which Mr Ye says tasted of ash, “no matter how many times you washed it”.

And then there was the unimaginable cruelty. He recalls how the Japanese soldiers went on a rampage through his kampung shortly after their arrival – and what happened to his neighbours, who lived less than 100m away from his home.

“The soldiers set fire to their house. I can still remember their screaming.”

In the years that have followed, the former principal of Catholic High School has learnt to live with these memories.

He published personal essays in Chinese about his life, under the pen name Luo Ming, and even made Japanese friends. He also developed a grudging respect for Japan’s technological advancements.

Still, the writer tries his best to shun any reminders of Japan in his day-to-day life.

“I’ll eat sushi if my children buy it for me. But I won’t choose it for myself because I still feel a pain in my heart when reminded of that time,” he says in an interview at his home in Serangoon Gardens.

“Those who did not experience the Occupation would not really understand. It’s not that I simply hate everything Japanese. You have to understand the sort of suffering we went through, the circumstances of the time.”

Another survivor, Mr Tan Kim Wah, 96, refuses to touch Japanese cuisine altogether on the principle that it is the food of his oppressors.

He was 14 when the Occupation began and witnessed Japanese soldiers rounding up civilians for slaughter during Sook Ching, a mass killing that took place from Feb 18 to March 4 in 1942.

“They used a metal wire to pierce through the arms of their prisoners, stringing them together on the same wire – this made it impossible for them to escape. After that, they were loaded onto lorries to be taken to the massacre sites,” the retiree says.

Similar memories of bloody executions had haunted housewife Chew Yoke Cheng until her death at the age of 85 in 2017.

Her son, Dr Gary Lit, a 65-year-old retired academic, says: “My children like to go out to eat Japanese food, and every time they asked my mother, she would baulk at the prospect.

“Japanese restaurants sometimes displayed the national flag and other memorabilia, and it would make her shiver. She told me, ‘Every time I see a Japanese flag, my heart is gripped with fear and it starts pounding.’”

https://www.straitstimes.com/life/f...wwii-shaped-the-eating-habits-of-a-generation
1708057722744.jpeg

He should fear more about CCP coming for him. CCP killed more Chinese than the Japs do in WW2. And we have CCP dogs in Singapore and this forum.

superpower

Alfrescian
Loyal
Truth be told, Japanese cruelty and atrocities in WW2 far outstripped that of the Nazis - all manner of torture, rape, spearing of unborn foetuses, live burials, evisceration, decapitated heads on bamboo poles.

The Nazis almost seemed like Mother Teresa in comparison - they were at least compassionate enough to gas the Jews, giving them a relatively painless death.

My father, who grew up singing Kimi Ga Yo, told me that the Japs were barbarians and to never forget the suffering inflicted by the Japs on S'poreans and M'sians during the war.

Last edited: