• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Single Singapore man struggling to survive in Singapore

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=2][/h]Posted by temasektimes on August 21, 2012

I don’t dispute that I can live decently on little. I have done so and that is because I am single bit I have become rather anti social as I m unable to join my frens for outings as I can’t even afford it. How then to network for my real estate job when I can’t even join frens for drinks?

I have to politely decline giving all kinds of excuse but that’s ok. But if u have wives or kids whose friends living it up, wouldn’t u feel like u have failed them somehow how especially of they come up and ask for something like an iPad that everyone in school has. Even with no kids I can understand that of I am a parent and husband I want to ensure that my family has some creature comforts. Wives are adults so they too know how to answer. But kids can be victims of cruel kids who’d laugh at them for being poor.

As a parent I would want to ensure I protects child from such potential exposures. I can’t even afford an iPad for work and colleagues and managers have insensitively told me to get one cos it is more professional and now customers expect us to have one. Or they tell me to get with the times and be IT savvy and also said that is perhaps one reason I am not doing well cos I don’t have an iPad. I now simply tell them I have no money and do u think they’d feel bad n shut up. NO! They feel I m making them feel bad and stupid and I get told off more for not being serious about my work and not prioritizing my expenses. If I as an adult am facing such insensitivitiea imagine a child.

As a son, I want to give a comfortable life for my parents. While they don’t say anything I know they feel sad that my life is rough. Everyday they tell me they pray to God to help me with my business. I fell like I have let them down. When they were younger and working, they could raise me and take care of my grand parents now locals r not only getting retrenched but govt is going on a campaign to say that FTs r better than locals. How to find work?

My job is like being self employed and my working capital is very high. I have to weigh the pros and cons to throw a newspaper ad for a unit I am marketing and putting food on the table. Although an ad does not cost much, I can at least feeds self and family for a couple of days. The house is falling into disrepair and neighbors are saying that I m unfilial for letting my parents live in such conditions. One neighbour even lectured me on filial piety. Doesn’t anybody know that I know what filial piety is?

As much as I hurt inside, I have to smile and bear it. It is the Chinese neighbours that the most nasty about making feel bad about this. I fear my parents falling sick and I can’t even pay for their hospital bills or worse, if they pass on, I won’t be able to give them a decent funeral. Imagine how terrible I feel already without anyone else giving me added pressures. Every night I pray to God to give my parents good health and long life. I work very hard and just m not making the money.

I am sad that I m not married because I don’t think I can afford to and I don’t want my in laws to feel that I am not taking care of their daughter. Which parent want to see their child live in misery. I have a colleague who is recently married and he pretends he has a full time job and goes out to ‘work’ everyday. His wife has to lie to her parents that my colleague has a full time job. When they found out they were unsympathetic and added stress on the marriage by saying insensitive remarks that his wife should have married the other guy who has lots of money and live in a landed house. This makes my colleague go into depression. We all try to live life within our means but many don’t live our lives just for ourselves. We are sons and fathers and husbands and we all live our live for someone whether we like it or not.

SINGAPURABOI
*The above was first posted as a comment on The Temasek Times.

seesuatah

Alfrescian
Loyal
Stop living your life in the eyes of other people.

It is bloody tough man!

Live your life for yourselves and your family.

Most importantly live you lives for others and for our Creator.

You will be more happy and have tingling sensation of joy.

Last edited:

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
Stop living your life in the eyes of other people.

It is bloody tough man!

Live your life for yourselves and your family.

Most importantly live you lives for others and for our Creator.

You will be more happy and have tingling sensation of joy.

First of all, there's no "Creator". Secondly, you've to live your life according to the standards and values of others if you want to get something out of them.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
As a son, I want to give a comfortable life for my parents. While they don’t say anything I know they feel sad that my life is rough. Everyday they tell me they pray to God to help me with my business. I fell like I have let them down. When they were younger and working, they could raise me and take care of my grand parents now locals r not only getting retrenched but govt is going on a campaign to say that FTs r better than locals. How to find work?
First of all, Praying to God does not help you in your business.

Being business savvy, developing clever networking and having creative marketing will help you in your business.

If you have not much money to be a real estate agent, then do some other work to get a regular income while being an estate agent.

This only shows that you are not creative enough and plus you are emotionally affected after gotten bashed by so many negative comments from others. double whammy.

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
If you have not much money to be a real estate agent, then do some other work to get a regular income while being an estate agent.

May I add to your above comment? I recently heard that Singapore taxi drivers is making at least $3k per month up to $6k if he works extremely hard, this is from the driver himself.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
May I add to your above comment? I recently heard that Singapore taxi drivers is making at least $3k per month up to $6k if he works extremely hard, this is from the driver himself.

he can think of getting small multiple streams of income and that will supplement his marketing fund for his real estate work. If putting an ad needs to think hard, then he should not start this business in the first place.

He is still very much an employee minded person. even teaching tuition can get him some extra income too. Teaching tuition, driving taxi, work as part time waiter can get small multiple streams of income. Not easy and pretty tiring but at least it gets by till his estate agent business goes up.

All these streams of income can supplement his marketing and networking effort for his real estate business.

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
he can think of getting small multiple streams of income and that will supplement his marketing fund for his real estate work. If putting an ad needs to think hard, then he should not start this business in the first place.

He is still very much an employee minded person. even teaching tuition can get him some extra income too. Teaching tuition, driving taxi, work as part time waiter can get small multiple streams of income. Not easy and pretty tiring but at least it gets by till his estate agent business goes up.

All these streams of income can supplement his marketing and networking effort for his real estate business.

Sad to say Tony, your words will sound like alien words to sinkies, "multiple streams of income"? Unheard of nnacceptable by sinkie standard.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
[h=2][/h]Posted by temasektimes on August 21, 2012

I don’t dispute that I can live decently on little. I have done so and that is because I am single bit I have become rather anti social as I m unable to join my frens for outings as I can’t even afford it.
[/B]
......My job is like being self employed and my working capital is very high.

Another clue from his article that he is indeed an employee minded person.

The very first sentence he quoted that he live on decently. If you care to do business, the mindset of living decently cannot be spilled over to his business, you need to spend on networking and marketing for a business to work.

Then he say his job is like being self employed. The last time i check. being a real estate agent is INDEED a self employment. same as insurance agent what the hell he is thinking???

It only tells me that he is not ready to be self-employed yet and have no choice got to do it and he did it when he is emotionally and psychologically not ready for it, he is not even educated for it too.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Sad to say Tony, your words will sound like alien words to sinkies, "multiple streams of income"? Unheard of nnacceptable by sinkie standard.

seriously? then sinkies should read more and exposed more to the real world of business or they will suffer badly.

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sinkies are conditioned to pursue 铁饭碗 and nothing else. :biggrin:

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

It is possible plus you have a good driving strategy.

Being a taxi driver means every passenger you pick up needs to pay. Real estate agents are tough these days because the time they put in that derives no income has far outstripped the time they put in that derives income. Most of them sell 1 out of 50 properties they market. It's as good as being a free consultant and doing charity.

But more and more people are playing tricks these days with taxis, no money to pay, flee from cab etc.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
What is an iPad? What does it do for you?

according to the article, owning an ipad is like showing to customer that you are current and up with the times. An impression showing strategy. just like driving a BMW to your customer's place.

this strategy can backfire if you do not have the means to support it and leaves you poorer. but an ipad will not make you poorer and if he cannot even afford it, that means he is in deep shit.

Last edited:

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal

Where is our resident cab driver? Haven't seen him around lately? He will probably tell you $8k per month no problem.

ionzu

Alfrescian
Loyal

he sounds defeated already. and he and his family will become our problem, when they start slipping into the bottom 10% and start leeching off the system of welfare and subsidies.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
he sounds defeated already. and he and his family will become our problem, when they start slipping into the bottom 10% and start leeching off the system of welfare and subsidies.

It is your problem, not mine. Sinkieland got nothing to do with me.

terry1965

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think this guy is not a fighter, not hungry enough, he just pities himself.
Look at the FT, all coming here with fighting spirit, hungry and desperate for work, some even doing 2 jobs, doing extra overtime work , as waiters etc

the way he writes about Ipad, not everyone will want an Ipad, Ipad is not that good ?, there are pros and cons, he just wants to follow the trends on ipad.
There are better things than ipad, i know people that do Millions of $$$ of sales even without using computer, just a scenerio of monkey see monkey do.
typical singaporean comparing himself to others,really pampered expect people to help him, no fighting spirit.
why compare, some people are just destined, some lucky, some born with silver spoon, how to compare ?

He says networking with friends, there are so many cheaper alternatives to network with people not necessary to go to expensive places, kopi tiam ok ?

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have done so and that is because I am single bit I have become rather anti social as I m unable to join my frens for outings as I can’t even afford it. How then to network for my real estate job when I can’t even join frens for drinks?

Does he understand himself?
if he is not earning as an real estate agent and cause him to become anti social, then look for other job.
you can work as a part time agent instead.