• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singaporeans leaving Singapore: Are we the "villians"?

chewed

Alfrescian
Loyal
officially, SG have 187 billion of foreign reserve. Temasek have declared losess of what, 50 billion?

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
the chaos would result from the discovery of how huge a hole Temasek has dug.

the way i see it, just the fact that PAP is no longer in power will not cause chaos as the existing civil service machinery will keep the country running.

it's the disclosure of skeletons in the closet that will cause the chaos.

thats the difference

PAP founded by the old man ? It is time for him to end the party.. PAP will dissolve b4 he meets Ng Teng Feng in heaven (or hell?) :smile:

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
officially, SG have 187 billion of foreign reserve. Temasek have declared losess of what, 50 billion?

The old once said.. the million dollar salary is justified in view of its "trillion" economy.. I guess your suggested amount does not reflect what he said.. I would suggest the following..

1) MAS - 300 billion (once headed by LHL, now dunno..)
2) Temasick - 300 billion (now much lesser, headed by Ho Jinx)
3) GLC - 500 billion (Chair - the old man)
Total estimate : 1.1 trillion..

facadegeniality

Alfrescian
Loyal
and our dear manpower minister as just asked thousands of "unproductive" small businessess to quit.

Thanks for screwing up tens of thousands of hardworking business owners and their worker's lives....

i've never been so happy in my life, now that i'm a quitter.

yeah i saw this in today's papers! well, at least he realised the consequences of so many FThrash in sg.

now they are bucking up. but then again, if singapore businesses continue to want to hire cheap, then singaporeans wun fill in these places and the problem wun be solved.

chewed

Alfrescian
Loyal
yeah i saw this in today's papers! well, at least he realised the consequences of so many FThrash in sg.

now they are bucking up. but then again, if singapore businesses continue to want to hire cheap, then singaporeans wun fill in these places and the problem wun be solved.

facade,

i can guarantee you that every singaporean business would prefer to hire a local. But problem is they can't afford to!

if the kopi tiam were to hire only singaporeans, your favourite chicken rice & wanton noodle will cost $7.50 to $8.00 a plate. Are you willing to pay that price?

Fact is: cost of living have went up 100-200% but unfortunately the wage rate has only went up 20%. Who's controlling the wage rate?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The issue is very much structural. Instead of starting treatment early, they let this disease catch hold when its too late. The temerity of the govt of blaming things on SMEs when they realise this policy road of cheap labour is coming to an end.

facadegeniality

Alfrescian
Loyal
facade,

i can guarantee you that every singaporean business would prefer to hire a local. But problem is they can't afford to!

if the kopi tiam were to hire only singaporeans, your favourite chicken rice & wanton noodle will cost $7.50 to $8.00 a plate. Are you willing to pay that price?

Fact is: cost of living have went up 100-200% but unfortunately the wage rate has only went up 20%. Who's controlling the wage rate?

yeah i agree with u. u mentioned earlier abt minimum wage...seems like that shld be the way to go (although in sch we are taught otherwise). by setting this minimum wage, people (low level staff) will be able to afford $7.50 chicken rice as well.

but i doubt the govt will bother considering it becoz they do not get affected (they are not low-level staff).

ps: i may have a myopic view of things because im not in the workforce yet

chewed

Alfrescian
Loyal
yeah i agree with u. u mentioned earlier abt minimum wage...seems like that shld be the way to go (although in sch we are taught otherwise). by setting this minimum wage, people (low level staff) will be able to afford $7.50 chicken rice as well.

but i doubt the govt will bother considering it becoz they do not get affected (they are not low-level staff).

ps: i may have a myopic view of things because im not in the workforce yet

young man,

for SG to take the next step, lots of changes have to be made. Not only economically. but socially & politically as well. Sad to say most of us in this sub-forum won't be here to see it.

iamtalkinglah

Alfrescian
Loyal
please empathize with these supreme leaders. it's a very difficult job to maintain high gdp growth in a challenging economy, especially when one's already out-of-this-world civil service renumeration and performance package is tied to such a kpi. between country and cash, most of these supreme beings opt for cash. :biggrin:

This is a Corporate Governance issue. How can a minister’s remuneration be pegged to the country’s GDP?
The Gov’t KPI should be measured, for example, based on the “Happiness Index of its people” (decrease in number of homeless people, cost of living of Singaporeans, affordability of HDBs). In order to meet this KPI, we are now “expanding” at all cost.
And there is no independent “counter check” done which resulted in the problems we are facing now.

Why hasn't anyone raised this issue? I would be hum thumb by auditors if my KPI is pegged to the sales revenue.

Axe,
it will be impossible. Unlike the "Buy Aussie" mentality, there is no such "loyalty" among Singaporeans cos simply there is no national identity and pride among sinkies.
Look at the self-serving MIW, there is your answer. plus this stupid open door free trade policy that we have, it will never work. Sinkies only know "cheap, cheap". Whatever is cheap is good. This is what i call the 3rd world mentality.
Trust me it will never work. i'm still running a company in SG, trying to hire sinkies only and buy only from SG suppliers. But you know what? it's a losing battle. I'll probably have to close it down eventuallycos it simply doesn't make economical senses anymore.:(
Frankly, my customers doesn't care about buying from SG suppliers & hire sinkies, they only want cheap. and my competitors are bringing in from Malaysia, Vietnam & China to compete against me.
It simply doesn't pays to do such thing as Singaporean 1st cos sinkies simply don't care.

This is the past, let’s look towards the future. We can start now by promoting a Singapore first culture.
If we think this is a good idea, we should work towards achieving it.

You know what, an Australian friend asked me which airlines I’m taking back to Singapore and I said, Singapore Airlines. His wife asked me why and I replied, “Because I support Singapore Brand”. She was surprised and she said she wouldn’t have take this into consideration. Everybody knows that flying Qantas will be cheaper than SIA.

What I am trying to say is, there are people out there who support Singapore brand. And don’t assume that everyone in Australia have a “Australia first” thinking.
You know what, I keep complaining about Singapore to my Singaporean friends but I am full of praise for Singapore to my foreigner friends.

I am in support of preventing Climate change. But the fact of the matter is every human activity is bad to the environment but that doesn’t mean I should stop breathing. Therefore we should consider cost v.s benefit.

What I am trying to say is, you could try to have a “Singapore first” approach for your business but if it means making you go out of business then please do what is right to make your business survive :smile:

We can do this if we stay as "one" and force them outta the ring :wink: New leader should commit to Singaporean 1st policy... and they shld start from the govt dept, awarding contract to the local.. focus on quality local products or jobs for sinkies.. Its gonna be hard.. Asian HDB thinking will hardly change :(

Everybody knows that "You can't change the soup, if you don't change the Cook !", however we still do not know whether the cook can be changed.

For the time being we could assume that they are going to be in power and continue to discuss on how the Gov’t polices could be improve. By now I believe they are starting to take notice of all these online discussion and the power of Netizens. By discussing these issues, it could also help raise awareness.

I have identified two major obstacle (if you have more, please let me know).
1) The common misperception of Singaporeans - "You won’t vote for opposition when it comes to your Constituency."
2) The common fear of Singaporeans –If we openly discuss about opposing PAP’s policy in public/online, we might be arrested.
What do you think?

And no, you are not the "villains".

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is the past, let’s look towards the future. We can start now by promoting a Singapore first culture.
If we think this is a good idea, we should work towards achieving it.

You know what, an Australian friend asked me which airlines I’m taking back to Singapore and I said, Singapore Airlines. His wife asked me why and I replied, “Because I support Singapore Brand”. She was surprised and she said she wouldn’t have take this into consideration. Everybody knows that flying Qantas will be cheaper than SIA.

What I am trying to say is, there are people out there who support Singapore brand. And don’t assume that everyone in Australia have a “Australia first” thinking.
You know what, I keep complaining about Singapore to my Singaporean friends but I am full of praise for Singapore to my foreigner friends.

I am in support of preventing Climate change. But the fact of the matter is every human activity is bad to the environment but that doesn’t mean I should stop breathing. Therefore we should consider cost v.s benefit.

What I am trying to say is, you could try to have a “Singapore first” approach for your business but if it means making you go out of business then please do what is right to make your business survive :smile:

Everybody knows that "You can't change the soup, if you don't change the Cook !", however we still do not know whether the cook can be changed.

For the time being we could assume that they are going to be in power and continue to discuss on how the Gov’t polices could be improve. By now I believe they are starting to take notice of all these online discussion and the power of Netizens. By discussing these issues, it could also help raise awareness.

I have identified two major obstacle (if you have more, please let me know).
1) The common misperception of Singaporeans - "You won’t vote for opposition when it comes to your Constituency."
2) The common fear of Singaporeans –If we openly discuss about opposing PAP’s policy in public/online, we might be arrested.
What do you think?

And no, you are not the "villains".

I appreciate your comment. However...

Please let your master know, should they implement "Singapore First Policy", I will be 1st suing them :smile: for $$$.. I do not collect million dollar salaries, hence, it is not my duty to provide solutions..

I stood in front of the unions(opposition) taking tough questions and providing answers/explanation in a professional manner and I am only drawing 100ks.. I'm sure our million dollar ministars can do better than that !!!

I'm here to share my experience for both sides.. regrettably I'm more of the opposite side :biggrin:

iamtalkinglah

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is a Corporate Governance issue. How can a minister’s remuneration be pegged to the country’s GDP?
The Gov’t KPI should be measured, for example, based on the “Happiness Index of its people” (decrease in number of homeless people, cost of living of Singaporeans, affordability of HDBs). In order to meet this KPI, we are now “expanding” at all cost.
And there is no independent “counter check” done which resulted in the problems we are facing now.

Why hasn't anyone raised this issue? I would be hum thumb by auditors if my KPI is pegged to the sales revenue.

Pie say, it should be “internal control” issue and not “corporate governance” issue.
Say for example – If a salesman’s KPI is solely based on Sales revenue then there is a control weakness.
In this case, the control weakness is the Gov’t may be too focused on increasing GDP growth that it may overlook other concerns such “Happiness index”.

What do you guys think?

iamtalkinglah

Alfrescian
Loyal
I appreciate your comment. However...

Please let your master know
, should they implement "Singapore First Policy", I will be 1st suing them :smile: for $$$.
. I do not collect million dollar salaries, hence, it is not my duty to provide solutions..

I stood in front of the unions(opposition) taking tough questions and providing answers/explanation in a professional manner and I am only drawing 100ks.. I'm sure our million dollar ministars can do better than that !!!

I'm here to share my experience for both sides.. regrettably I'm more of the opposite side :biggrin:

I seriously do not catch what you are saying esp the red words above. And I think you didn't catch what I am saying too.

If you think it is not your duty to discuss (we are not MIW, we don't provide solutions and we cannot provide solutions since we are not MIW???) then don't, this is a free world, feel free to ignore my posts.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you think it is not your duty to discuss (we are not MIW, we don't provide solutions and we cannot provide solutions since we are not MIW???) then don't, this is a free world, feel free to ignore my posts.

Haha, cool bro. I think we all have a common goal ~ to bring recognition to all Singaporeans (including the quitters). Their hard work, sacrifices and commitment can never be ignored or be replaced by half-baked talents. Singapore pie is for all Singaporean to enjoy.

Our government not only should be responsible for economic growth and also the social side. Singapore has achieved what it is today, not bcoz of FTs but from our old aunties and uncles who fought alongside with the old man in the 60s & 70s. So who gets the cake ? we all know..

My wifey decided to give up her citizenship, she cried when she was in with the police clearance.. Since we (including the govt) are chasing for growth, it makes sense to take the emotions away and concentrate on growth :o So are we wrong or the govt is wrong.. hmmm.. Wifey reluctantly agreed.

PAP is just a political party & it is not the Government, nor the Court house.. Whichever party we support, we all have to agree on this : we all have a common goal, for the best of Singaporeans.. hence, I support "Singaporean 1st" policy, free medicare for Sinkies, financial support for old and disabled... min wage can be included too ! :smile:

Last edited:

iamtalkinglah

Alfrescian
Loyal
Haha, cool bro. I think we all have a common goal ~ to bring recognition to all Singaporeans (including the quitters). Their hard work, sacrifices and commitment can never be ignored or be replaced by half-baked talents. Singapore pie is for all Singaporean to enjoy.

Our government not only should be responsible for economic growth and also the social side. Singapore has achieved what it is today, not bcoz of FTs but from our old aunties and uncles who fought alongside with the old man in the 60s & 70s. So who gets the cake ? we all know..

My wifey decided to give up her citizenship, she cried when she was in with the police clearance.. Since we (including the govt) are chasing for growth, it makes sense to take the emotions away and concentrate on growth :o So are we wrong or the govt is wrong.. hmmm.. Wifey reluctantly agreed.

PAP is just a political party & it is not the Government, nor the Court house.. Whichever party we support, we all have to agree on this : we all have a common goal, for the best of Singaporeans.. hence, I support "Singaporean 1st" policy, free medicare for Sinkies, financial support for old and disabled... min wage can be included too ! :smile:

Yes!
To sidetrack a bit. - You just wanted what is best for your family. If Singapore have much to offer, there wouldn't be any "quitters". There is no need to make those "quitter" feel guilty by calling them quitter - emotional blackmail.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes!
To sidetrack a bit. - You just wanted what is best for your family. If Singapore have much to offer, there wouldn't be any "quitters". There is no need to make those "quitter" feel guilty by calling them quitter - emotional blackmail.

Guess what ? I picked up my wifey and son from the airport, they told me SG is better.. OMG ! have I make the wrong move or isit they feel better getting lead by the MIW ? heehee.

Soon, they will understand me (coz I plan for the future). one day, we may return to SG to retire and get to keep our hse in Melbourne for our sons and sons.. if we have another child, the hse shall be subdivided into 3 hses. Yahoo !

Heaps of flexibility in the future, if we are not emotional now :smile: learning from the MIW... they taught me well..

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Meaning no women MP liao? Or if they have 3 or more kids they qualify also ?
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Aiyo.. like that all the malays will qualify. Haha.. (I'm not a racist person, hor). Making sacrifices to the State is not an easy task. It could be mandatory NS or volunteering tasks. Min requirement to be at least 2-2.5 years and min 44 hrs per week :smile: My point is .. sacrifices need to be rewarded or recognised.... either by monetary rewards or medical benefits..