• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore Need A Better Education System

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: It's Already The End When I Saw What Was Happening In School !

It's simply silly or to quote Tonychat "sinkish" to expect a perfect education system to deliver you or your children all the way to the top or wherever you desire. You'd simply become slaves of the system all your lives.

Learn, not wait to be taught, it's all up to you up there between your ears. I repeat, learn, not wait to be taught by whatever system. The aptitude for learning is from you and up to you, regardless of the system. Blaming the system is the first step to forgetting and forsaking how to learn and lifelong, even generational reliance on how and what is taught.

Last edited:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Good presentation.

Remembered my interest in Chinese started with the need to enjoy "龙虎门“,”小流氓“,”如来神掌“, "老夫子“ comics and not from the boring textbooks.

English comics came at a later stage. :smile:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal

Thanks TS for starting this. I think a lot of people missed out something. I've recently started reading deschooling society. Here is a short excerpt on youtube.

[video=youtube;ZUoYAj7Nosg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUoYAj7Nosg[/video]

What people tend to forget is that Schools, institutions, are there to maintain the current status quo.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal

Its a pretty cool book. What comes as a bigger surprise is that this was written in the 70s. Ivan Illich espouse the futility of schools as a learning "centre". While self-learning, and learning from others would have made everyone become more "educated". We maybe moving towards this phase with the internet on what he wrote in the book.

Hi Ash007. Thanks. Reading this now. Managed to google some info on Ivan Illich on http://www.davidtinapple.com/illich/1970_deschooling.html

outside

Every time there is a change in Education Minister, they go overseas to take a look and change the education system accordinlgy.

Just like leaving their imprints behind.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset

What people tend to forget is that Schools, institutions, are there to maintain the current status quo.

bro,

you can say that again a thousand times just to check how many actually caught its meaning :eek::eek::eek:

will up your points after 24hrs :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Thanks TS for starting this. I think a lot of people missed out something. I've recently started reading deschooling society. Here is a short excerpt on youtube.

Glad it is appreciated.:p

I too have seen all of The Pinky Show videos and actually learn a lot from watching them. There is another one about The Deschooling Society you did not show.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal

Its based on Deschooling Society which another bro here has provided a link to. This forum/thread shows the exact reason why schools are not places to learn while sites like this are actually a better learning grounds for like minded people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deschooling_Society

I too have seen all of The Pinky Show videos and actually learn a lot from watching them. There is another one about The Deschooling Society you did not show.

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Sorry, my bad. I showed the same one.:o

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal

Singapore education is the best.
We produced a Zorro minister and a Kee Chiu general turned minister.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset

You'd simply become slaves of the system all your lives.

perhaps this is merely running commentary: no doubt we rank high on literacy rates and the students are capable of obtaining high TIMSS/IB scores, i reckoned we already have a generation or a huge bunch of conformists, serfs and sycophants at this stage :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: the last we need is to ask permission to fart through our arses, don't you think :p:p:p

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal

perhaps this is merely running commentary: no doubt we rank high on literacy rates and the students are capable of obtaining high TIMSS/IB scores, i reckoned we already have a generation or a huge bunch of conformists, serfs and sycophants at this stage :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: the last we need is to ask permission to fart through our arses, don't you think :p:p:p

I can't wait to fill up those "Flatulence Authorisation" forms. :rolleyes:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

SG education produces over systematic but non-creative students. I used to give mathematics tution to my relatives and my observation is, they need a 'system' in place first before solving the mathematical problem. For example, I replace some words/sentence/sequence in a original mathematical problem to made the question looks different from the original problem, and most will go into panic mode as they are not sure what 'system' is that. Is this a trigo question or an algebra equation? The solution to the problem is the same.

This is known as 读死书.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset

This is known as 读死书.

a common occurrence for the kids to misinterpret the questions, either they have trouble understanding the questions or they are plain lazy to analyze the questions. thus i guess it's relatively easier for them to memorize the worked solutions to answer the question than to analyze the questions and find out what the question is asking about and then working out the solution by themselves.

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

a common occurrence for the kids to misinterpret the questions, either they have trouble understanding the questions or they are plain lazy to analyze the questions. thus i guess it's relatively easier for them to memorize the worked solutions to answer the question than to analyze the questions and find out what the question is asking about and then working out the solution by themselves.

Understanding mathematical questions also require a good command of the English Language.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset

I can't wait to fill up those "Flatulence Authorisation" forms. :rolleyes:

must wait for them to form the committee to draft up the form first :eek::eek::eek: