• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore is worse than a prostitute...

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am not interested in pushing Chinese as the ONLY first language of this country. What I suggest is this: the Singaporean Chinese use Chinese language as first language, and Singaporean Malay use Malay as first language, so on and so forth. And we use English as 2nd language.

Its not about China becoming strong whatsoever. Don't u get it? One don't sell out one's language and culture because this and that country or these and those countries are strong. Wanna do business with them strong countries? Sure, learn their language, as 2nd language. NO NEED TO SELL ONE'S NATIVE LANGUAGES.

For example. China become strong now? And Malay wanna do business with them? The Malay could learn Chinese language as 2nd language. NO NEED TO GO ALL OUT AND SELL THEIR MALAY LANGUAGE AND CULTURE, START SPEAKING MANDARIN AT HOME GIVING THEIR BABIES CHINESE NAME ALL BECAUSE CHINA IS BECOMING STRONG OR CHINA HAS BECOMING A ECONOMIC SUPERPOWER.

English is use by many countries? Its a important business language? Sure. Lets learn it as a 2nd language. We don't have to go to the extreme and do a sell out on our Asian languages.

Its best for those who feel strongly about their culture and language to return to the motherland. The Chinese to China and the Indians to India and so forth. That way they can remain pure and feel comfrotable.

Those who have left the motherland have to adapt to their new environment and reach compromises that will allow all to assimilate, live harmoniously and start building an identity that they will be proud of. It may call for the best aspects of culture to be adopted from various races to be colourful and rich.

As an example, many Chinese leave for the US for various reasons. Some remain and are comfortable with their kids adapting English as the 1st and comfortable language. They have decided to become Americans but they also retain some aspects of their roots but time will eventually cause this to dissipate which is not unexpected. There are some that prefer to return to China and we respect that.

One cannot be a dog in the manger and expect people to work around you. Your approach will only stratify the races and it never be a peaceful or an effective country. Its like your son turns up for dinner in 8pm, the daughter at 7pm, your wife at 5pm and you at 6pm. Its one family under one roof but they don't function as one , do they?

Look at Malaysia, they went down the path of Malay for schools. Only 10 years ago they realised their mistake. You either get on the train to progress or get left behind still holding tightly to your culture and roots without progressing. Look at the Tamil venacular schools and Chinese venacular schools which were retained to garner votes among the lesser educated such as estate workers and small farms holdings. Its a lost generation. Why? because some smart politician figured out that only the ignorant and less educated tend to clutch on to the past. So give what they want and you got their votes. Its no surprise that Samy Vellu was the longest serving member of the Malaysia Cabinet because he made sure the estate tamils went to tamil schools and remained disconnected to the rest of society. He got his votes and the tamils as a community got left behind. You ask any Singaporean Tamil and they will struggle to speak to a Malaysian Tamil in Tamil but you know who is far ahead in life.

If your parents did not know and placed you in a position that you are struggling with, then when you become a parent, make sure that your kids get to right track where the rest of the sane society is moving. It makes little difference if the language is mexican, urdu, chinese, English and tagalog. The world does not wait for one man.

Many years ago, a lady speaking hokkein dragging a small kid sought the direction to Morris Allen but I could not figure out what she was telling until she described what they did. She came all the way to register her kid at this place from Toa Payoh. Looking at her, she looked like she was just getting by but she was concerned enough to register her kid in a language school and she had no clue about the language. Thats foresight and hope for you, right there.

Language and culture is a means to an end. Its evolves all the time. The Eurasians of portuguese descent cannot speak to the current portuguese in portugal as they got stuck with 16th century spoken portuguese. So you will never catch a Eurasian speaking the lingo or attempting to settle in portugal. Those from Macau however have estaqblihed links to Portugal and they are chinese. Thats life bro.

Last edited:

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
excuses excuses excuses.

sell out means sell out okay? singaporean has got no pride in asian languages and culture. no need to come up with long winded crap.

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
"Its best for those who feel strongly about their culture and language to return to the motherland. The Chinese to China and the Indians to India and so forth. That way they can remain pure and feel comfrotable."

why don't u go back to your mother land england or america if u deem english is your mother tongue?

Hakka Tiow

Alfrescian
Loyal
If this could assuage you somewhat. If I can turn back time on myself, I would choose to have my primary school years with Chinese as the first language and English as second and vice versa in secondary school. I'll really feel I would turn out a more balanced Chinese man that way.

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
If this could assuage you somewhat. If I can turn back time on myself, I would choose to have my primary school years with Chinese as the first language and English as second and vice versa in secondary school. I'll really feel I would turn out a more balanced Chinese man that way.

this message of yours and messages from few others who are like minded, makes me feel not that cold and lonely here in this thread. thank you.

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its best for those who feel strongly about their culture and language to return to the motherland. The Chinese to China and the Indians to India and so forth. That way they can remain pure and feel comfrotable.

Those who have left the motherland have to adapt to their new environment and reach compromises that will allow all to assimilate, live harmoniously and start building an identity that they will be proud of. It may call for the best aspects of culture to be adopted from various races to be colourful and rich.

this so call 'new environment' here, Singapore, it start out using English as THE LANGUAGE in communicating? Or its only recently the PAP had transform the language and cultural scene here?

As an example, many Chinese leave for the US for various reasons. Some remain and are comfortable with their kids adapting English as the 1st and comfortable language. They have decided to become Americans but they also retain some aspects of their roots but time will eventually cause this to dissipate which is not unexpected. There are some that prefer to return to China and we respect that.

But singapore is no western country here. Majority are Asian. So why are we Asian (Chinese, Malay, and Indian) adapting ourself to a south east island state, by using ENGLISH A WESTERN LANGUAGE? there's no logic in it. its not a white people populated country. the majority here are asian.

Look at Malaysia, they went down the path of Malay for schools. Only 10 years ago they realised their mistake. You either get on the train to progress or get left behind still holding tightly to your culture and roots without progressing. Look at the Tamil venacular schools and Chinese venacular schools which were retained to garner votes among the lesser educated such as estate workers and small farms holdings. Its a lost generation. Why? because some smart politician figured out that only the ignorant and less educated tend to clutch on to the past. So give what they want and you got their votes. Its no surprise that Samy Vellu was the longest serving member of the Malaysia Cabinet because he made sure the estate tamils went to tamil schools and remained disconnected to the rest of society. He got his votes and the tamils as a community got left behind. You ask any Singaporean Tamil and they will struggle to speak to a Malaysian Tamil in Tamil but you know who is far ahead in life.

why don't we look at korea or taiwan? those two asian countries, aren't they successful? do they do a sell out in their language in order to be successful?

If your parents did not know and placed you in a position that you are struggling with, then when you become a parent, make sure that your kids get to right track where the rest of the sane society is moving. It makes little difference if the language is mexican, urdu, chinese, English and tagalog. The world does not wait for one man.

again, look at the korean and taiwanese. one doesn't have to do a sell out in one's language in order to be successful. why the obsession in selling out asian language here in spore is puzzling...

Many years ago, a lady speaking hokkein dragging a small kid sought the direction to Morris Allen but I could not figure out what she was telling until she described what they did. She came all the way to register her kid at this place from Toa Payoh. Looking at her, she looked like she was just getting by but she was concerned enough to register her kid in a language school and she had no clue about the language. Thats foresight and hope for you, right there.

thats foresight? thats foresight according to the PAP. vision, world view from PAP. asian countries doesn't have to ditch asian languages in order to be successful. BUT IN PAP WORLD'S VIEW, IT HAS GOTTA BE THAT WAY: ONLY WAY TO SUCCESS IS SELLING OUT ASIAN LANGUAGE AND UPHOLDING ENGLISH LANGUAGE. NO OTHER WAY!

Language and culture is a means to an end. Its evolves all the time. The Eurasians of portuguese descent cannot speak to the current portuguese in portugal as they got stuck with 16th century spoken portuguese. So you will never catch a Eurasian speaking the lingo or attempting to settle in portugal. Those from Macau however have estaqblihed links to Portugal and they are chinese. Thats life bro.

if language and culture is a means to an end, so why the fixation on English language? why cant a society with 97 percent asian stick to asian language and culture? why the eagerness in doing in, snuffing out the life of asian langauge and culture? for whom? for the westerner or the asian?

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
if language and culture is a means to an end, so why the fixation on English language?

Bro, either your are paranoid or insecure. Not many locals are aware that Chinese nationals have a better grasp of English than Singaporeans whose 1st language is English.

During meetings, conferences etc, the Singaporeans and the Malaysians stand out like a sore thumb because we get out dictation, intonation wrong, we swallow our words, and our vocabulary tends to be limited. The Chinese Nationals even with their accent tend to be correct and better understood.

Its common knowledge that the teaching of English has gone downhill over the last 30 years.

ahbengsong

Alfrescian
Loyal
After ploughing through the few hundred post... I still have no inkling of why sgp is worse than a prostitute... :biggrin:

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
why don't we look at korea or taiwan? those two asian countries, aren't they successful? do they do a sell out in their language in order to be successful?

again, look at the korean and taiwanese. one doesn't have to do a sell out in one's language in order to be successful. why the obsession in selling out asian language here in spore is puzzling...

Isn't my first sentence alluding to it. They are homogenous societies. Why in the world would they want to adopt English in the 1st place. Now you know why those who are keen can go back to the motherland. China is a homogenous society as well.

Singapore is a plural society.

ps. how come you are using this nick?

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, either your are paranoid or insecure. Not many locals are aware that Chinese nationals have a better grasp of English than Singaporeans whose 1st language is English.

During meetings, conferences etc, the Singaporeans and the Malaysians stand out like a sore thumb because we get out dictation, intonation wrong, we swallow our words, and our vocabulary tends to be limited. The Chinese Nationals even with their accent tend to be correct and better understood.

Its common knowledge that the teaching of English has gone downhill over the last 30 years.

which shows that english as first language policy is a failure. its a set back in our language standard.

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Isn't my first sentence alluding to it. They are homogenous societies. Why in the world would they want to adopt English in the 1st place. Now you know why those who are keen can go back to the motherland. China is a homogenous society as well.

Singapore is a plural society.

ps. how come you are using this nick?

there are other multiracial society. such as Switzerland. they don't enforce english as the language to teach in school for almost every subject. but they still have prosperity, progress, and harmony.

its not a matter of homogeneous societies. its our PAP govt, the leaders are fixated, obsess in promoting English language to the extend of snuffing the life of native languages here in our country.

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
After ploughing through the few hundred post... I still have no inkling of why sgp is worse than a prostitute... :biggrin:

prostitute sell their body. thats all. but spore go further than prostitute. Singapore sell its soul. its ASIAN SOUL for some self-perceived economic edge, and other advantages.

Therefore Singapore is worse than a prostitute.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
its not a matter of homogeneous societies. its our PAP govt, the leaders are fixated, obsess in promoting English language to the extend of snuffing the life of native languages here in our country.

There's only one native language in Singapore, it's Malay.

Di Singapura, satu bahasa bumiputra sahaja, ialah bahasa Melayu.

Chinese came from China, English came from England and Tamil came from India.

Bahasa Cina dari negeri Cina, bahasa Inggeris dari negeri Inggeris, bahsasa Tamil dari negeri India.

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
There's only one native language in Singapore, it's Malay.

Di Singapura, satu bahasa bumiputra sahaja, ialah bahasa Melayu.

Chinese came from China, English came from England and Tamil came from India.

Bahasa Cina dari negeri Cina, bahasa Inggeris dari negeri Inggeris, bahsasa Tamil dari negeri India.

so chinese, indian are not local? okay, if only malay could be consider as native, than i stand corrected. i will change it from native languages, to asian languages.

here, "its not a matter of homogeneous societies. its our PAP govt, the leaders are fixated, obsess in promoting English language to the extend of snuffing the life of asian languages here in our country."

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
there are other multiracial society. such as Switzerland. they don't enforce english as the language to teach in school for almost every subject. but they still have prosperity, progress, and harmony..
They are not a homogenous society. Their languages are region based and they not integrated. The bordering countries become the surrogate guardians/ custodians looking after their own language group. Thats the origin why the swiss are neutral, any alignment with any neighbour and the country will light up in flames. Read their history. Singapore is also proserous and relatively harmonius despite its short history. In case you are not aware Singapore is trying the Swiss in NS, industry etc.

I had already indicated it does not matter if its English. It can be tagalog, urdu etc. Don't get hangup on English.

Look at China and India. Both have main language Mandarin and Hindi for convenience and peace. Many of the Han Chinese don't speak Mandarin so do most of the Indians who speak other languages.. Its a compromise. I hope you don't think that Mandarin is your mother tongue just because the PAP told you that. Its likely to be Hokkein, Teochew, Cantonese etc.

Any govt, will be limited in its course. Its going to be its present form or Malay as the dominant language or a combination of both.

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
They are not a homogenous society. Their languages are region based and they not integrated. The bordering countries become the surrogate guardians/ custodians looking after their own language group. Thats the origin why the swiss are neutral, any alignment with any neighbour and the country will light up in flames. Read their history. Singapore is also proserous and relatively harmonius despite its short history. In case you are not aware Singapore is trying the Swiss in NS, industry etc.

I had already indicated it does not matter if its English. It can be tagalog, urdu etc. Don't get hangup on English.

Look at China and India. Both have main language Mandarin and Hindi for convenience and peace. Many of the Han Chinese don't speak Mandarin so do most of the Indians who speak other languages.. Its a compromise. I hope you don't think that Mandarin is your mother tongue just because the PAP told you that. Its likely to be Hokkein, Teochew, Cantonese etc.

Any govt, will be limited in its course. Its going to be its present form or Malay as the dominant language or a combination of both.

i don't know why this issue on homogeneous, plural society have got anything to do with singapore marginalizing asian languages.

its not justifiable to marginalize asian languages in a society highly populated by asian. (97 percent of the population are asian.) what is there to argue, debate about on this unjust treatment on asian languages in our country??

on issue about mother tongue for the chinese. yes there are different dialect group. chinese teochew mother tongue is teochew, hokkien chinese mother tongue is hokkien, and so on and so forth.

but the chinese regardless of which dialect group they belong use mandarin to communicate with other different chinese dialect group. and written chinese language is unified too. there's no teochew style of essay or hainanese style of essay. maybe except for the cantonese who has their written cantonese character, all different chinese dialect group has the same written chinese language style. so why do we need to use ENGLISH LANGUAGE TO SUBSTITUTE CHINESE LANGUAGE IN UNIFYING THE DIFFERENT CHINESE DIALECT GROUP HERE IN OUR COUNTRY? MAKE NO FUCKING SENSE.

i didn't get hang up on english. its u and the PAP get hang up on english language.

Last edited:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
here, "its not a matter of homogeneous societies. its our PAP govt, the leaders are fixated, obsess in promoting English language to the extend of snuffing the life of asian languages here in our country."

Snuffing? You're stretching the meaning of the word. Switch on your TV to Channel 8 or Channel U. Snuffed out? No, Chinese is alive and well in Singapore. Switch on your TV to Suria or Vasantham. Snuffed out? No, Malay and Tamil (and even Hindi) are alive and well in Singapore.

Suffing is too strong a word to use, by any stretch of imagination. I think what you're unhappy with is the status of the languages.

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Snuffing? You're stretching the meaning of the word. Switch on your TV to Channel 8 or Channel U. Snuffed out? No, Chinese is alive and well in Singapore. Switch on your TV to Suria or Vasantham. Snuffed out? No, Malay and Tamil (and even Hindi) are alive and well in Singapore.

Suffing is too strong a word to use, by any stretch of imagination. I think what you're unhappy with is the status of the languages.

no. its not too strong a word.

90 over percent of the school subjects are in english, thats snuffing out the life of asian languages.