• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore is worse than a prostitute...

zack123

Alfrescian
Loyal
doesn't have to confined to the ethic language. we could use asian languages as first language, (chinese for chinese, malay for malay, etc) and use english as 2nd language. to communicate with each and other races.!

So which language would you appoint as the 1st language? You got to be more specific

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
You're contradicting yourself. Chinese Singaporeans who speak good English, you accuse as selling-out. Chinese Singaporeans who speak bad English, you accuse as failure.

when did i say chinese who speak good english is selling out? i didn't say that.

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Better than the trash dished out so clearly in this thread leh:p

i know my english is weak. i would rather someone else come forward and speak on this topic instead of me. but i don't see nobody talk about it. people more or less had accepted PAP english as first language policy.

i bor bian. everyone see the emperor's new clothing thinking, wah, see beh hor! (very good! very cool indeed.) so day in day out, i buay tahan, i just have to speak out, 'GAN NI NAH! THE EMPEROR CLOTHING HOR? LANG JIAO! HE'S NAKED! NO CLOTHING! BOR CHENG SAR!"

Last edited:

nanana1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Your english no weak la:p You want chinese, english and malay as 1st language, then how ? Everyone has own thinking, mah. :cool:

Oso, garmen says malay is national language, english is working language, no first language leh:p

nanana1

Alfrescian
Loyal
i bor bian. everyone see the emperor's new clothing thinking, wah, see beh hor! (very good! very cool indeed.) so day in day out, i buay tahan, i just have to speak out, 'GAN NI NAH! THE EMPEROR CLOTHING HOR? LANG JIAO! HE'S NAKED! NO CLOTHING! BOR CHENG SAR!"

Are you the "bor cheng sar" emperor ?:p Can't see you leh:cool:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
when did i say chinese who speak good english is selling out? i didn't say that.

Oh sorry. Perhaps you mean that speaking bad English is sell-out but speaking good English is buy-in? :biggrin:

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about the survival of English or Chinese in Singapore. It's just a little island with 4 million (1/3 to 1/4 non citizen). Anybody wishing to learn good English has the US, Britain, Canada and Australia to look to, and anybody wishing to learn good Chinese has PRC and ROC to look to. Even for Malay, it's the same. The source of learning and authoritative reference is Malaysia, not Singapore.

Singapore has no language of its own. Malays were here first but they're the minority now. Chinese were here later but they're the majority now. The British had come and gone and left behind the English language in commerce and laws. The Indians are caught in between neither here nor there. But bear in mind, even Malays and Indians have to take their exams in English. You want them to take their exams in Chinese? Or you want to divide up the education system into four language mainstreams system?

You're just unhappy or even disgusted with your fellow Chinese speaking English more often. These are their personal beliefs, choices and problems, nothing to do with you or me. They may end up failures or sell-outs, or successes and buy-ins. You have your personal problems, choices and beliefs too. Take care of yourself and people under your charge. If you want to speak Chinese at home, it's fine. If others want to speak English at home, what's your problem?

Singapore is not a custodian of any language, whether Asian or European.

tarzan100

Alfrescian
Loyal
a PERCEIVED economic advantage. the PAP harping about how english as first language had benefited this country. BUT IS IT?

i don't buy this crap about english language as first language policy help give us a very good edge, competitiveness. we take taiwan, we take korea, we take japan for instance. all those countries could stand on their own without english as first language.

there are no real data to back up PAP claim that english as first language had give spore a fucking ace advantage over other countries.

english as 2nd language, or translator will help solve the communication problem. thats what all people do. to state one of spore success is due to english language policy, thats a exaggeration.

There are many variables apart from the language that makes a country successful. Mastering the English language whilst retaining the capability to speak in one's mother tongue has enabled Singaporeans to be bilingual,some even tri-lingual and this is an asset for the individual and collectively for the country. In terms of geographical reach and commerce, the English speaking world still dominates. With the emergence of China, Mandarin will increasingly become important for foreigners wishing to do business with China. From experience, the English language has definitely helped the individual to a better station in life.

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oh sorry. Perhaps you mean that speaking bad English is sell-out but speaking good English is buy-in? :biggrin:

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about the survival of English or Chinese in Singapore. It's just a little island with 4 million (1/3 to 1/4 non citizen). Anybody wishing to learn good English has the US, Britain, Canada and Australia to look to, and anybody wishing to learn good Chinese has PRC and ROC to look to. Even for Malay, it's the same. The source of learning and authoritative reference is Malaysia, not Singapore.

Singapore has no language of its own. Malays were here first but they're the minority now. Chinese were here later but they're the majority now. The British had come and gone and left behind the English language in commerce and laws. The Indians are caught in between neither here nor there. But bear in mind, even Malays and Indians have to take their exams in English. You want them to take their exams in Chinese? Or you want to divide up the education system into four language mainstreams system?

You're just unhappy or even disgusted with your fellow Chinese speaking English more often. These are their personal beliefs, choices and problems, nothing to do with you or me. They may end up failures or sell-outs, or successes and buy-ins. You have your personal problems, choices and beliefs too. Take care of yourself and people under your charge. If you want to speak Chinese at home, it's fine. If others want to speak English at home, what's your problem?

whats my problem? look at LHL. tell me, does he speak clearly? how about GCT? something is seriously wrong with this country when we have PM (both of them LHL and GCT) who speaks poor english when English is THE language of Singapore.

so what is your problem when i bring this language problem out in the sun? u want it sweep under the carpet and pretend all is well?

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are many variables apart from the language that makes a country successful. Mastering the English language whilst retaining the capability to speak in one's mother tongue has enabled Singaporeans to be bilingual,some even tri-lingual and this is an asset for the individual and collectively for the country. In terms of geographical reach and commerce, the English speaking world still dominates. With the emergence of China, Mandarin will increasingly become important for foreigners wishing to do business with China. From experience, the English language has definitely helped the individual to a better station in life.

when we see our PM LHL speaking like he has plum rolling inside his mouth, something is fucking wrong with our language policy. period. no need to talk so much.

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal

what custodian of language? what no language of our own?

harlo? who's talking about custodian of language? i am talking about basic proficiency of the language. now, our PM are the political leader of this country. the so call cream of the crop proclaim by the PAP. and how well did they speak? LHL and GCT they speak terribly. their spoken english sucks big time.

now, if the cream of the crop have problem with their spoken english, WHAT ABOUT THE ORDINARY CITIZEN OF THIS COUNTRY?? THIS ENGLISH AS FIRST LANGUAGE POLICY OBVIOUSLY IS A FAILURE.

OUR ENGLISH AS FIRST LANGUAGE POLICY IS A SELL OUT TO THE ASIAN LANGUAGES, AND IT DOESN'T BENEFIT THIS COUNTRY. IT TURNS US INTO NOT HERE NOR THERE, MIDDLE OF NO FUCKING WHERE IN OUR LANGUAGE.

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its not just the PM. Its lots of people, high profile, highly educated people, they too speak poor english, they cant speak english fluently. you switch on CNA, or media corps news channel, u have some minister, or some big shot local business man, or local doctor on tv, they all speak poor english.

so why defend this english as first language policy which is detrimental to the language capability of this nation?

zack123

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its not just the PM. Its lots of people, high profile, highly educated people, they too speak poor english, they cant speak english fluently. you switch on CNA, or media corps news channel, u have some minister, or some big shot local business man, or local doctor on tv, they all speak poor english.

so why defend this english as first language policy which is detrimental to the language capability of this nation?

What is your definition of poor English? Most of the who are high profile figures appears to be able to deliver their speech quite well enough. Maybe your standard is too high. Similarly if i put you as Minister of National Language, you may set a standard too high which may turn people off.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
whats my problem? look at LHL. tell me, does he speak clearly? how about GCT? something is seriously wrong with this country when we have PM (both of them LHL and GCT) who speaks poor english when English is THE language of Singapore.

so what is your problem when i bring this language problem out in the sun? u want it sweep under the carpet and pretend all is well?

L.H.L. and G.C.T. don't speak English and Chinese well, that's their problem, not my problem. I don't learn my languages from them. I've pointed out earlier, there're proper sources to learn respective languages from.

You bringing up this problem, is not a problem to me. I just hope that you take a more open view with a more open mind. Chinese isn't everything Singaporean. Neither is English. Those who wish to learn, let them. Those who don't wish to learn, leave them alone.

Chinese isn't going to be extinct if many Singaporeans speak bad Chinese, same case for English. For the other many who wish to learn to speak good Chinese and/or English, the sources to learn from are always there Britain, the US, PRC, ROC etc. Don't get choked on your own blood or vomit blood with matters like this. There shouldn't be language police just like there shouldn't be thought police.

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
What is your definition of poor English? Most of the who are high profile figures appears to be able to deliver their speech quite well enough. Maybe your standard is too high. Similarly if i put you as Minister of National Language, you may set a standard too high which may turn people off.

no. its not me with high standard. let me give u an example:

if PM LHL could speak clearly, why does donald rumsfeld need a translator when he pay LHL a visit?

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
L.H.L. and G.C.T. don't speak English and Chinese well, that's their problem, not my problem. I don't learn my languages from them. I've pointed out earlier, there're proper sources to learn respective languages from.

You bringing up this problem, is not a problem to me. I just hope that you take a more open view with a more open mind. Chinese isn't everything Singaporean. Neither is English. Those who wish to learn, let them. Those who don't wish to learn, leave them alone.

Chinese isn't going to be extinct if many Singaporeans speak bad Chinese, same case for English. For the other many who wish to learn to speak good Chinese and/or English, the sources to learn from are always there Britain, the US, PRC, ROC etc. Don't get choked on your own blood or vomit blood with matters like this. There shouldn't be language police just like there shouldn't be thought police.

its a social phenomenon. if the whole country, many of which cant speak properly, if thats not your concern, then what is your concern?

Last edited: