• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore Democratic Party (SDP)

Cosmos10

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Singapore Democratic Party

Everyone is worried about the epidemic that has hit Singapore and the world.
You've asked burning questions on how to reduce the risk of being infected and how do we fight it.
So what do you need to know about the virus?
Here is the Chairman of SDP, Prof Paul Tambyah, to answer your pressing questions about COVID-19
in Part 1 of APA (Ask Paul Anything) : COVID-19 Edition.

APA (Ask Paul Anything) : COVID-19 Edition Part 1

Cosmos10

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Singapore Democratic Party

Hi everyone. Here is the Chairman of SDP, Prof Paul Tambyah,
to answer your pressing questions and all you need to know about COVID-19
in Part 2 of APA (Ask Paul Anything) : COVID-19 Edition

APA (Ask Paul Anything) : COVID-19 Edition Part 2

lovesamleong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dr Chee Soon Juan

Ever wonder why it is so hard for you to be elected? That's because it is something you didn't do. Remember you said this:

aEYsHHw.jpg

"And when you cannot admit to your mistakes, you cannot correct them". Remember Lawrence Wong? Remember Lawrence Wong said the need to be upfront and you owe an account to the public for what happened and apologize to the public? Remember the errors you made? Here's a refresher:

Your response to Lawrence Wong is "focus on the policies and not the person". That is a bad answer. That is the answer that cause you to lose votes. Forget about your policies, forget about the good things you are putting up for Singapore. Make your own words count - admit to your mistakes, just say "I was young and I made a mistake.... ". Put up a little tears, you can win some votes there for being upfront. Then you can move along. You cannot pretend to ignore this issue and ask people to move along. People need to see you admit to your mistakes.

Now that Ivan Lim has withdrawn, it will be more difficult for you. People will compare you to Ivan Lim. By being upfront and honest, you can still stand a chance.

This post and Lawrence Wong's video has two purpose:
1. To give you the opportunity to be upfront, honest, and admit your misgivings
2. To mentally prepare you as your past misadventures will haunt you again

Good luck, Sir.

Last edited:

sohbuckkong

Alfrescian
Loyal
I pity his party members. His members and supporters are blind to follow him.

Dr Chee Soon Juan

Ever wonder why it is so hard for you to be elected? That's because it is something you didn't do. Remember you said this:

aEYsHHw.jpg

"And when you cannot admit to your mistakes, you cannot correct them". Remember Lawrence Wong? Remember Lawrence Wong said the need to be upfront and you owe an account to the public for what happened and apologize to the public? Remember the errors you made? Here's a refresher:

Your response to Lawrence Wong is "focus on the policies and not the person". That is a bad answer. That is the answer that cause you to lose votes. Forget about your policies, forget about the good things you are putting up for Singapore. Make your own words count - admit to your mistakes, just say "I was young and I made a mistake.... ". Put up a little tears, you can win some votes there for being upfront. Then you can move along. You cannot pretend to ignore this issue and ask people to move along. People need to see you admit to your mistakes.

Now that Ivan Lim has withdrawn, it will be more difficult for you. People will compare you to Ivan Lim. By being upfront and honest, you can still stand a chance.

This post and Lawrence Wong's video has two purpose:
1. To give you the opportunity to be upfront, honest, and admit your misgivings
2. To mentally prepare you as your past misadventures will haunt you again

Good luck, Sir.

fanta

Alfrescian
Loyal
Walau, Dr Chee kena whacked again. No matter what he do, he got whacked! Vivian seems to like Jamus and treat him favorably. Vivian criticize Dr Chee and Francis but only lightly on Jamus. Election after election, Dr Chee is a punching bag, it's a miracle if he wins, if not, SDP can never succeed with Dr Chee leading.

Cosmos10

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Debate (who won?)

Answer is SDP!

Mission accomplished!

Even before a vote is cast! Haha!

lovesamleong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Debate (who won?)

Answer is SDP!

Mission accomplished!

Even before a vote is cast! Haha!

Let's get real. This is what is from the Straits Times report:

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/sporeans-must-remain-open-to-foreigners-says-heng

On the projected population of 6.9 million by 2030, set out in the Government's 2013 Population White Paper, Mr Heng said the number goes beyond how densely populated Singapore would be. The social space is as important.
Singapore's population density is not excessive, he said, noting that other cities are a lot more crowded in terms of liveable space.

He cited former chief planner Liu Thai Ker, who said in 2014 that Singapore should plan for 10 million people for it to remain sustainable in the long term.

Mr Heng did not specifically said a 10 million population, he is talking about the density of the population in relation to the projected population of 6.9 million by 2030, the density in Singapore is not excessive , considering Liu Thai Ker's proposal of 10 million people.

That "No to 10 million population" campaign goal should be retracted before any further
credibility of SDP is lost.

lovesamleong

Alfrescian
Loyal
SDP's integrity is being questioned. The party instead of retracting is doubling down by claiming victory. Now SDP can claim whatever they want, is the people going to believe them? Is this the first time SDP pull off these sort of nonsense? Did the people believe them in the past elections? As long as SDP stand their ground and refuse to admit the mistake they make, all is lost at SDP. Dr Chee and others has a good chance of winning but with this, they'll come empty handed. People not stupid, you know.

GE2020: SDP’s ‘10 million population’ falsehood renders campaign pointless, calls into question party’s integrity, says PAP
Read more at https://www.todayonline.com/singapo...ood-renders-campaign-pointless-calls-question
SINGAPORE — The People’s Action Party (PAP) has hit back at Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) chief Chee Soon Juan over his election slogan which is based on its claims that the incumbent party plans to increase Singapore’s population size to 10 million.

The 4Y1N slogan, which stands for “Four Yeses, One No”, is part of SDP’s election campaign. It proposes saying “yes” to retrenchment benefits, an income for retirees, putting people first and suspending the Goods and Services Tax (GST), while saying “no” to a population of 10 million.

In a press statement on Thursday (July 2) night, a PAP spokesperson said the slogan, which it described as “a key plank in the SDP’s election campaign”, is a “falsehood (which) renders the campaign pointless, and calls into question the integrity of the whole party”.

The dispute between both parties over the campaign slogan first emerged on Wednesday during a one-hour live debate on television which featured representatives from four political parties — PAP, SDP, the Workers’ Party (WP) and the Progress Singapore Party (PSP).

Dr Chee and PAP’s Vivian Balakrishnan had crossed swords when the former asked about what he claimed was the Government’s plan to increase Singapore’s population to 10 million.

During the debate, Dr Chee said: “Over and above all this, Mr Heng Swee Keat… in an interview, toys with the idea of bringing our population to 10 million. Singaporeans are deadly worried about this proposal.”

This drew a sharp rebuke from Dr Balakrishnan, who said that Dr Chee was peddling a falsehood and that the Government had no such plans.

After the debate, Dr Chee posted on his Facebook page a March 29, 2019 article from The Straits Times, which reported Deputy Prime Minister Heng Swee Keat’s remarks made at a forum, where the 10 million figure was said by Dr Chee to have been mentioned.

On Thursday morning, daily broadsheet The Straits Times clarified that Mr Heng “did not say that Singapore should plan for 10 million people, nor did he mention the figure”.

During the event, Mr Heng had referred to former chief planner Liu Thai Kher’s comments that Singapore should go for an even higher population number than 6.9 million.

But in a statement on Facebook, Mr Heng said he did not endorse Mr Liu’s view, but instead “had explained that our population size was not just about physical space, but also about social space and how we can preserve a sense of togetherness”.

Following Wednesday night’s televised debate, SDP issued a press release declaring that it has “achieved victory on our call for the ‘no’ to a 10 million population”.

It stated how Dr Chee had “pressed PAP candidate Vivian Balakrishnan to categorically state that the Government will not raise Singapore’s population to 10 million”.

In response to this, the PAP spokesperson said Dr Chee is “further twisting the facts” by claiming that it had succeeded in “extracting a promise from the PAP that it had no intention to increase the population to 10 million”.

“Dr Chee first conjures a bogey out of thin air to befuddle, frighten and divide Singaporeans,” the statement said.

“When it is pointed out to him the bogey doesn’t exist, he claims someone else had ‘toyed’ with the idea first. And when it is shown conclusively that someone else had done no such thing, he waves his arms triumphantly in the air, proclaiming, ‘see, I slayed the bogey’.”

The spokesperson then added that Dr Chee has “staged this drama many times before” and cited an incident in 1996 where he had “refused to apologise for his use of wrong data on healthcare subsidies at a Parliamentary Select Committee”.

“A leopard does not change its spots. The new Dr Chee — of which there have been many — is still the old Dr Chee,” said the spokesperson.

lovesamleong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mr Heng said he didn't say Singapore plan to increase population to 10 million. Dr Chee claimed he said so.

So who is lying? Mr Heng or Dr Chee? By claiming victory, SDP is saying Mr Heng is lying. Will Mr Heng sue SDP? By saying he didn't say anything about 10 million population, Mr Heng is saying Dr Chee is a liar. Will Dr Chee sue Mr Heng? Something brewing here, there are still 7 more days from PAP to trap SDP, if SDP makes a mistake in interpreting the Straits Times's report, they should be brave enough to admit it's mistake before more damage is done to SDP's chances, just as what Dr Chee has preached. Live up to your own words, SDP.

UreMxIF.jpg

GE2020: ‘I didn’t say S’pore should plan to increase population to 10 million’, says PAP’s Heng Swee Keat
Read more at https://www.todayonline.com/singapo...ase-population-10-million-says-paps-heng-swee
SINGAPORE — The Government has never proposed or targeted an increase of Singapore’s population to 10 million, said People’s Action Party (PAP) first assistant secretary-general Heng Swee Keat on Thursday (July 2).

“I did not say that Singapore should plan to increase its population to 10 million people, nor did I mention the figure,” Mr Heng wrote on Facebook, adding that Singapore’s population is instead likely to be significantly below 6.9 million by 2030.

His clarification came after Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) chief Chee Soon Juan said in a televised debate on Wednesday that the Government was “toying with the idea” of a 10 million population.

The topic generated some heated moments during the one-hour debate between Dr Chee and PAP’s Dr Vivian Balakrishnan.

Dr Chee had probed Dr Balakrishnan on whether the Government had plans to increase Singapore’s population to 10 million, claiming that this was something mentioned by Mr Heng.

Dr Balakrishan rebutted Dr Chee, saying his claim was a “false strawman”, with both men talking over each other at one point.

After the debate, Dr Chee posted on his Facebook page a March 29, 2019 article from The Straits Times which reported Mr Heng’s remarks made at a Nanyang Technological University (NTU) forum.

The article stated: “On the projected population of 6.9 million by 2030, set out in the Government's 2013 Population White Paper, Mr Heng said the number goes beyond how densely populated Singapore would be. The social space is as important. Singapore's population density is not excessive, he said, noting that other cities are a lot more crowded in terms of liveable space. He cited former chief planner Liu Thai Ker, who said in 2014 that Singapore should plan for 10 million people for it to remain sustainable in the long term."

But Mr Heng clarified on Thursday that he did not say that Singapore should plan to increase its population to 10 million people, nor did he mention the figure.

He wrote: “I was asked at the NTU Student Union Ministerial Forum in 2019 about the Population White Paper. In my response, I mentioned that former chief planner Liu Thai Ker had publicly said that we should go for an even higher number.

“Far from endorsing this, I had explained that our population size was not just about physical space, but also about social space and how we can preserve a sense of togetherness.”

“And if we look at today’s situation, our population is likely to be significantly below 6.9 million by 2030,” Mr Heng added.

Latest figures put Singapore’s total population at 5.7 million.

lovesamleong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Looks like the government ambushed the SDP..... as Bertha Henson here said "It could have made the same point much earlier" that is they could have corrected the SDP earlier.

Dancing around 10 million people
https://sg.news.yahoo.com/ge-2020-dancing-around-10-million-people-043016536.html
COMMENT: Dancing around 10 million people
[Yahoo News Singapore]
Yahoo News Singapore2 July 2020
The Singapore Democratic Party has updated its GE2020 campaign. (SCREENSHOTS: CNA's YouTube channel/SDP's Facebook page)
The Singapore Democratic Party has updated its GE2020 campaign. (SCREENSHOTS: CNA's YouTube channel/SDP's Facebook page)

by Bertha Henson

That’s the figure Singapore is all agog over.

The Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) said that Deputy Prime Minister – and People’s Action Party’s (PAP) first assistant secretary-general – Heng Swee Keat said it. Heng said no. SDP said Straits Times (ST) reported it. ST said Heng didn’t say 10 million people. The PAP, thinking it has scored a hit, wants the SDP to apologise. The SDP, thinking it has scored a hit, claims victory.

We, the voters, are being led on a merry dance.

I think the SDP was too quick to pull one phrase out of a newspaper report of a university dialogue to say that Heng was toying with the idea of raising the population number to 10 million. The confusion seems to have come about because the journalist did the needful thing called “backgrounding’’ in the report published in March last year.

ST said: “On the projected population of 6.9 million by 2030, set out in the Government’s 2013 Population White Paper, Mr Heng said the number goes beyond how densely populated Singapore would be. The social space is as important. Singapore’s population density is not excessive, he said, noting that other cities are a lot more crowded in terms of liveable space. He cited former chief planner Liu Thai Ker, who said in 2014 that Singapore should plan for 10 million people for it to remain sustainable in the long term.”

Five months later, on 20 October, the SDP held a pre-election rally in Hong Lim Park where it formally introduced “No to 10 million population’’ as one of its planks. I reported this, and said I was puzzled that I seemed to have missed such a big story.

That was when I found the earlier March article on Heng.

I wrote then: “Even though it wasn’t a policy pronouncement, it does show that Mr Heng was ‘open’ to a more populated country, providing the SDP with a point of attack. Given the fracas over 6.9 million, Mr Heng might want to clarify what he meant when he cited someone else’s figure. Is this the new objective and by when? How is Singapore gearing up in terms of infrastructure?’’

I suppose I am not the “ordinary reader’’ whom ST journalist Zakir Hussain refers to in his column on the 10 million people saga today. He referred to ST’s March article and said: “No ordinary reader of the article – let alone those sentences – would think that Mr Heng wants Singapore to plan for 10 million people.’’

The question which arises then is why ST did not call out the SDP or check on the authenticity of SDP’s call to reject 10 million people. The mainstream media, especially ST, cannot but be aware that the SDP had read its report wrongly. Rather than do due diligence, it continued to report on SDP’s manifesto, with the 10 million people claim.

In its 28 April report this year, ST referred to the 10 million population plank of the SDP campaign this way: “The SDP said the economy has become overly dependent on foreign workers. Citing a 10 million figure raised by former chief planner Liu Thai Ker in 2014, the SDP said it will “stop the PAP from raising our population to 10 million and displacing our PMETs (professionals, managers, executives and technicians) with foreign ones”.”

I had wondered about the choice of words, because SDP was adamant about making Heng responsible for the 10 million figure, not Liu who first raised it. Nevertheless, it went on to quote the SDP on wanting to stop the PAP (which presumably will do what Liu wants?) from raising the numbers.

If I am not an ordinary reader, I can safely say that Sudhir Vadaketh isn’t one too. He made the same assumption SDP did on reading the ST article. Except that he got a call from Heng’s office. You can read it here.

He wrote this after the English debate which had PAP’s Vivian Balakrishnan berating SDP’s Chee Soon Juan for perpetuating falsehoods: “And now, because of last night’s political debate, the question of fact versus falsehood has again emerged, honest discourse undermined because of imprecise answers (from him) and imprecise assumptions (from us).”
A matter of timing

So, where was POFMA (Protection From Online Falsehoods And Manipulation Act) in all this?

Even though POFMA was ready for action from 2 October, this glaring “falsehood’’ escaped the eye of the POFMA office and civil servants. What caught their attention instead was a chart and a statement about increased unemployment of local PMETs in the SDP website and Facebook page.

The Manpower Ministry issued a Correction Order. The case went to court and SDP’s objection was dismissed. The SDP was guilty of spreading falsehoods to scare Singaporeans into thinking that PMET jobs would go to foreigners.

Truth to tell, this wasn’t as clear-cut a case compared to whether the government was planning for a 10 million population. Arguments were put forth about interpretation of the facts, the basis of comparisons and so forth. You can read them here.

I am perplexed that the government would have picked on this point, rather than the 10 million figure, if it wants to paint the SDP as a purveyor of falsehoods. Don’t forget that POFMA was supposed to be a quick tool to stop falsehoods from spreading. The government is only objecting to the 10 million population now, in the midst of the hustings.

Why?

Well, the PAP made this conclusion public yesterday: “This latest falsehood, however, is not just a matter of Dr Chee’s personal dishonesty. The “1 No” is a key plank in the SDP’s election campaign. Its falsehood renders the campaign pointless, and calls into question the integrity of the whole party.’’

It could have made the same point much earlier. I don’t think the truth should be timed.

Bertha Henson is a veteran Singapore journalist who now lectures at NUS. The views expressed are her own.

Stay in the know on-the-go: Join Yahoo Singapore's Telegram channel at t.me/YahooSingapore

lovesamleong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Alamak, the good doctor Paul Tambyah was implicated in this... now Paul Tambyah is classified the same as Dr Chee which is considered lacking in integrity

But we are disappointed and surprised Dr Paul Tambyah, the SDP’s Chairman, has joined his chief in this charade. We thought he was a better man.

https://www.pap.org.sg/news/ge2020-...egarding-the-10-million-population-falsehood/

Pritam also got whacked...

Mr Pritam Singh asked why the Government could not have said earlier that our population would be well below 6.9 million in 2030, let alone a mythical 10 million.

It is baffling that Mr Singh should ask this question. During the Committee of Supply in February 2018, Minister Josephine Teo had said that our population would be significantly below 6.9 million in 2030. She repeated this in the Committee of Supply in February this year. Was the Leader of the Opposition not scrutinising the Minister’s statements?

lovesamleong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Paul Tambyah now getting into the bad books of by PAP. Now Paul will be whacked at every opportunity just like Dr Chee. Any missteps by Paul, his character will be attacked like Dr Chee. Why don't Paul Tambyah stick to bread and butter issues? Anything on borderline truth where it can be refuted by PAP, don't need to mention, now Paul is getting into this shit because of something on the borderline truth. If 100% true, then mention all he want. Paul don't get emboldened just because Lee Hsien Yang praise him as COVID19 expert. Paul is indeed an expert, but your name is now mentioned all over with Lawrence taking cheap shots. Don't forget, don't say things that are not in 100% black and white, can be referenced from govt documents. That 10million fiasco is an example of borderline truth.

Cosmos10

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
LIVE!!!

Please click the link below to watch NOW!

Online Premiere of GE 2020 Online Rally: Dr Chee Soon Juan