• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SIA A380 Makes Emergency Landing

Jlokta

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Look dude: they discovered potential cabin pressure problems SHORTLY AFTER LEAVING HEATHROW.

They could have turned back to Heathrow or landed nearby at Charles De Gaulle, Rome, Zurich, Frankfurt, Munich etc.

WHY DIDN'T THEY.

Not in the "published guidelines"?

Full of crap is what it is.

Plane is fully loaded with fuel,its not as easy doing a 'U-Turn' as in a car.

Also, the initial warning could be due to a faulty sensor.

If faults were found prior to takeoff, I'm sure the Captain would not have taken over the aircraft.

Lordshiva

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wonder wtf is in charge of maintaining the aircraft,........maybe the seals are all made in china?....

....jialart liao

Fucking poor quality chinese shit will be the death of us all......

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
I wonder wtf is in charge of maintaining the aircraft,........maybe the seals are all made in china?....

....jialart liao

LHL will tell you it is an isolated incident :biggrin:

sadshishamo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I dont think any reputable airline would dare to do that. Such unapproved parts or material easily fail and their failure can cause major problems such as aircrashes or diversions.

If an unapproved part was found to be the cause of the accident or incident then the insurance will not cover the event and the airlines would have to bear the full cost which would surely include lawsuits for using inferior and unapproved parts.

....jialart liao

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
why baku? why not tehran whose winter is considerablely milder than baku?

Can crash land into the sea if the jumbo A380 miss the Runway...:biggrin:

aj-map.gif

sadshishamo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The new airport in Tehran ( Khomeini ) is very modern and would have been a good choice. Unfortunately after the decompression the aircraft has about 30 mins worth of oxygen for the passengers , by which time it must be flying at 10,000 feet altitude for oxygen availability purposes.

To divert to Tehran at this point is not possible because the high ground in that area would require the aircraft to be flown at around 14,000 feet for a period longer than the oxygen supply.

To fly a routing to tehran below 12,000 to 14,000 feet would 100% result in flight into terrain .

why baku? why not tehran whose winter is considerablely milder than baku?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

....jialart liao

In the SMRT problem we found out that some maintenance problems included using the incorrect parts to save $ e.g. using plastic ties:biggrin:

With a plane the margine of error is tighter. If you ignore maintenance it can cost lifes. Maybe someone ignored a worn out part or re-installing a parts the wrong way. With such a complex plane there is many things that can go wrong.

In the past I've avoided flying SIA because of cost & the way they treat Sporeans e.g. pinkerton syndrome:o
However now there are doubts about the safety standards of SIA. It is after all a Sporean GLC & as a GLC $$$ is more important than minor things like safety. There are probably a few paper generals in there too:eek: Anyone who has done NS will no doubt be concerned.

As a GLC they will of course try to down play the incident. Maybe it is not SIA's fault, may just be another 50 year fluke:confused:

Last edited:

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
In the SMRT problem we found out that some maintenance problems included using the incorrect parts to save $ e.g. using plastic ties:biggrin:

With a plane the margine of error is tighter. If you ignore maintenance it can cost lifes. Maybe someone ignored a worn out part or re-installing a parts the wrong way. With such a complex plane there is many things that can go wrong.

In the past I've avoided flying SIA because of cost & the way they treat Sporeans e.g. pinkerton syndrome:o
However now there are doubts about the safety standards of SIA. It is after all a Sporean GLC & as a GLC $$$ is more important than minor things like safety. There are probably a few paper generals in there too:eek: Anyone who has done NS will no doubt be concerned.

As a GLC they will of course try to down play the incident. Maybe it is not SIA's fault, may just be another 50 year fluke:confused:

U too? I thought I was the only one. If u are a singaporean flying SQ, u will get treated like shit. Unless, u are a s'porean flying first class or business class, they don't care about u. I ever experienced placing a drink order with a Flight attendent at the same time as an angmo 2 seats away. he ordered an alcoholic drink, while i order a soda, and he got his order 20 mins before me. Fucking bitches, I swear they are trained by SQ to discriminate against sinkies.

ON the other hand, Japan airlines treat asian males like royalty, even in economy.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
The new airport in Tehran ( Khomeini ) is very modern and would have been a good choice. Unfortunately after the decompression the aircraft has about 30 mins worth of oxygen for the passengers , by which time it must be flying at 10,000 feet altitude for oxygen availability purposes.

To divert to Tehran at this point is not possible because the high ground in that area would require the aircraft to be flown at around 14,000 feet for a period longer than the oxygen supply.

To fly a routing to tehran below 12,000 to 14,000 feet would 100% result in flight into terrain .

Land in Teheran? Yeah right. The first thing the Iranians will do is to separate out all passengers carrying jewish and US passports. U will never see them again unless there is some miraculous hostage rescue raid.

sadshishamo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Such political considerations are taken into account whenever possible but the overriding factor would always be to land safely ASAP if the situation is severe enough.

There are times when a Captain and his crew may elect to bust legalities to ensure survival. For example a B777 may not be allowed tolegally land at some short runway airfields but if there were an uncontrollable fire then the crew would have to land at the nearest airfield legal or not.

Similarly the political considerations, if it could be done to avoid complications it obviously would but there may be times when it is unavoidable.

Land in Teheran? Yeah right. The first thing the Iranians will do is to separate out all passengers carrying jewish and US passports. U will never see them again unless there is some miraculous hostage rescue raid.

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal
U too? I thought I was the only one. If u are a singaporean flying SQ, u will get treated like shit. Unless, u are a s'porean flying first class or business class, they don't care about u. I ever experienced placing a drink order with a Flight attendent at the same time as an angmo 2 seats away. he ordered an alcoholic drink, while i order a soda, and he got his order 20 mins before me. Fucking bitches, I swear they are trained by SQ to discriminate against sinkies.

ON the other hand, Japan airlines treat asian males like royalty, even in economy.
I am Singaporean and in almost 15 years travelling with SQ at least once a month. I have never felt badly treated even when in economy. On the occasions the crew have been indifferent, they were that way to everyone. I will agree service standards are getting lower and it won't be long till it gets pretty ordinary, but that is across the board. I will stop flying with them when I have to pay premium prices for an ordinary experience.

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
I am Singaporean and in almost 15 years travelling with SQ at least once a month. I have never felt badly treated even when in economy. On the occasions the crew have been indifferent, they were that way to everyone. I will agree service standards are getting lower and it won't be long till it gets pretty ordinary, but that is across the board. I will stop flying with them when I have to pay premium prices for an ordinary experience.
I have already migrated to Thai Airways and JAL....:biggrin: SQ simply sucks.

THE_CHANSTER

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
As a frequent SQ traveller to London, I am giving serious consideration to Emirates or Qatar for this route when I fly economy (i.e. I pay myself). The price difference is now worth the sacrifice of a brief lay over in Dubai or Doha. SQ is really feeling the heat from these Middle Eastern carriers to the extent that even revenue generating Premium passengers will move across.

For the time being, for Business Class, when my company pays, I will probably continue with SQ.

Lionheart

Alfrescian
Loyal

I totally agree. The SIA staff are still the best cabin crew in the world. I feel very at home with the staff and we can really talk shop and ask for some special privileges. SIA is still the best for me.