• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

[Sg banking Qn] - If I can use my DBS savings account to remit USD, why do I need a multi-currency account?

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
this payment could be a USD bank holiday thats why delayed idk
when u made another payment from savings it could be normal day
not too sure, best is you call up dbs and ask why, could be some compliance thing

what i know is, the MCA is good because, lets say you need to send out swiss francs later this month, if you think swiss francs is cheap now, you can buy first and keep in MCA. you cant do that with savings acct. same with foreign currencies funds that u received

The 2 working day delay is not the US side, but the DBS side. If transfer USD from savings account to USA, it's instantaneous. If you convert SGD (from savings account) to USD (in MCA), DBS will always take 2 working days to process this, before you can send out the USD to USA. So it seems as far as sending USD to USA, notwithstanding considering the beneficial exchange rate you mentioned, there seems to be no compulsory reason to follow the video's instruction (which should have said it was optional, but misleadingly implied it to be compulsory) for me to send USD only from MCA and not savings account.

Thanks!

mahjongking

Alfrescian
Loyal
btw you should be more concerned with the exchange rate used because 2 days delay in interest amount is negligible.
the exchange rate will affect you more.

u should call them and get to the bottom of this, if not in future this could screw up your business transactions if your client is anal

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
btw you should be more concerned with the exchange rate used because 2 days delay in interest amount is negligible.
the exchange rate will affect you more.

u should call them and get to the bottom of this, if not in future this could screw up your business transactions if your client is anal

@glockman

I suspect I've solved the riddle of why the youtube video's instruction was to send USD from MCA instead of savings account : the youtuber was advising we use Tiger brokers or some other 3rd party currency exchanger to get a better exchange rate instead of the DBS exchange rate which would be the case if sending USD directly from savings account.

It's just that the youtuber didn't explicitly explain this, so it was confusing why he made it seem compulsory to send USD from the MCA. The 2 working day delay is for using DBS to convert SGD (savings account) to USD (multi-currency account), so if I do this method, I'd just waste 2 working day delay and still use the same DBS exchange rate anyway. No pros, only cons. So if I'm ok with using the DBS exchange rate, then I should send USD directly from savings account instead of wasting 2 additional days waiting for DBS to convert SGD from savings account to USD into the MCA.

The youtuber should have explained it more clearly. Well at least it seems I've figured this one out.

Last edited:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I understand, thanks. But my question remains : since I'm using the same DBS exchange rate (SGD to USD) whether I send USD from SGD from my savings account, or send USD from USD earlier converted from SGD (using the same DBS SGD to USD exchange rate) from my multi-currency account (eg. DBS Multiplier account or My Account), so there's no difference in terms of exchange rate (since using the same DBS exchange rate), right?

Then what's the point of 1st converting SGD (from DBS savings account) to USD (in DBS multiple-currency account) which takes up 2 extra working days to process, but uses the same DBS exchange rate anyway? No additional benefit, just wasting 2 days waiting time, yes?
there’s a difference in sexchange rate almost every 69 seconds. there are pros who make money just by playing huge trade volumes to sexploit ups and downs every minute. thus every minute counts. for sexample, usd was 1.4 sgd a few days ago and it’s now down to 1.391 sgd. just an hour ago it was 1 usd to 1.394 sgd. if one trades in millions profits and or losses are huge.

gutpunch

Alfrescian
Loyal
liddat seems citibank global wallet is better, same currency (so no issue with exchange rate) but still instant no delay