• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Retail Operations Manager wanted - for S'pore PR holders only, S'porean go fuck off!

Dmode101

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Retail Operations Manager wanted - for S'pore PR holders only, S'porean go fuck o

File:Yearly_working_time_2004.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Yearly_working_time_2004.jpg

littlefish

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Retail Operations Manager wanted - for S'pore PR holders only, S'porean go fuck o

Change for the better or change for the worse? The opposition parties have amply demonstrated they have no intention to discuss the issues facing the minority. The minority member representation in GRCs is at most an inconvenience to parties like the WP and NSP.

So according to you everyone is a racist.

Look at it this way, the minority Singaporean does not trust the system, yet he has to be discerning as his Singaporean identity is at stake. Leaving it to blind trust and faith that the opposition parties will address their grievances is living in a fool's paradise. There is no evidence that the opposition parties have any indication to address the issues facing the minority. For all we know the minority may just as well be worse off.

Till the majority is willing to engage in participatory politics by actively seeking out and engaging the minority, my sincere advice to the minority is this - do not participate in the electoral process and tell that minority candidate not to stand on a party platform that does not seek to actively address minority issues.

Yes, everyone is a racist in some way. Even if the entire population is of one race, there will always be one segment discriminating against another segment. It just so happens that race is the easiest tool because it is very visible. This is the selfish nature of human beings. The only way to counteract it is to have institutions to keep this in check so that it does not creep into everyday life.

My friend, I am not even clear on the opposition's stand on other key issues, not to mention minority races issue. The only thing that gets in my head is that SDP fights for democracy and freedom of expression. :smile:

Since we are on this topic, I am not sure if race-based representation is the best way to go. But taking a leaf from NZ's political system, perhaps one way would be to ensure minority races have the proportionate representation in Parliament. This can be done by having the Malay/Indian voters decide whether they want to vote for Malay/Indian electoral rolls or the general electoral roll (they can only choose one). For the Malay/Indian electoral rolls (I think Eurasian community is too small to justify having a separate electoral roll), the candidates are Malay/Indian (I think even Chinese can stand as candidates if they think they can get enough support) and a certain number get voted into Parliament (they can also represent various parties or stand as independents). If the Malay/Indian voter chooses to vote in the general electoral roll, they vote for the same choice of candidates as the Chinese.

This way, it will ensure that Malays/Indians will always have sufficient representation in Parliament and the Malays/Indians get to choose who they really want to represent them (unlike the current GRC system where it is a take it or leave it kind of thing). It is also wholly possible although unlikely that the minority races become over-represented in Parliament if they garner enough support from the general electoral roll as well (this is more likely to happen than with the GRC system).

As an example, we have 84 constituencies now. These will form the general electoral roll. 15% of 84 is about 13. So let's say we have an additional 13 seats for Malay candidates. These 13 seats will represent various parts of SG (and the Malays living there) and the responsibility of these MPs will be to ensure that the Malays' views get put across in Parliament. Similarly for the Indian electoral roll.

This is just a rough sketch (I don't have time to think through the details now) and I don't think a system like this will be implemented anytime soon as it still needs to be refined and approved by the people. If you have suggestions for a system, let's hear it and maybe some political party may pick it as their platform for the elections.

Last edited:

yellow_people

Alfrescian
Loyal

Actually to all races concern - the govt has to admit they are lucky to have different races and religion here. It has helped the economy alot.

Singapore is frequently viewed as enjoying a melting pot of different ethnic groups. However, the bald truth is that by and large the population of Singapore is homogeneous. The Chinese make up 75% of the population. That is where our politicians are blessed.

The minority citizen has to think on his feet. Simply trying to oust the PAP is not going to work out well for him at all. As you can see from the various posts in this forum and in this very thread the majority has scant regard for the minority citizen's concern. They tell you a "trust me" story. Join us and vote the PAP out and everything will be fine seems to be their assurance.

I told the Ah Beng 15 years ago in soc.culture.singapore that if they allow the discriminatory employment practices to continue, they will one day be the ultimate victims. True enough today the Ah Beng is seething about employment practices that favour the FT over the local Chinese. Presently the Ah Beng is in a "regime change" mood with his dissatisfaction over the FT policy.

I know the FT policy is making all our lives miserable and not just the Ah Beng and no one likes the PAP. But I will make another prediction today. Save this message for I hope to God I am utterly wrong, else you the minority citizen will weep as you read this down the road somewhere.

If the minority citizen is foolish and places blind faith in these "regime change" Ah Bengs to help them boot the PAP out, trust me, these very Ah Bengs will strip you of what little remains of your political power and completely sideline you while they go about their business of making a livelihood for themselves.

There is absolutely not one iota of evidence out there that the "regime change" Ah Bengs show any concern for your plight. What they want is your minority representation in the GRCs and your vote. DENY THEM THE ABILITY TO CONTEST THE GRC - until the Ah Beng is willing to get of his high horse and talk to you as his equal. This is the only way I see for survival of the minority races in Singapore, be it the Malay, Indian, Baba, Eurasian, et al.

yellow_people

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yes, everyone is a racist in some way. Even if the entire population is of one race, there will always be one segment discriminating against another segment. It just so happens that race is the easiest tool because it is very visible. This is the selfish nature of human beings. The only way to counteract it is to have institutions to keep this in check so that it does not creep into everyday life.

I don't think institutions is the answer to keep a check on discriminatory practices but to ensure the constitution is upheld and there are specific laws against discrimination. Somehow I don't think the Ah Beng majority are going to fancy that as evidenced from Chau Ve Nist posts as that would mean they would have to compete on equal footing.

My friend, I am not even clear on the opposition's stand on other key issues, not to mention minority races issue. The only thing that gets in my head is that SDP fights for democracy and freedom of expression.

This is probably due to SDP having a coherent platform for democracy, freedom of speech and information and justice and equality for all. Hence you can see that their make-up includes a number of Indians, Malay and even Eurasians as their message is consistent and sincere. Jufri had even taken a Yacob to task over the Malay issue. Contrast that with WP and NSP. Both parties look like a Chinese bandwagon filled with riff raffs echoing the "regime change" Ah Beng's flavor of th emonth and at time subverting the progress of democracy. Hence it is hardly surprising not just your goodself and I, but the electorate at large has a clue to what their real agenda actually is. This is the danger I am warning minority citizens about. If the present system under the PAP is bad for the minority. A govt under these riff raffs is going to be detrimental to the minority citizen. I hope they realise and understand the gravity of the situation.

Since we are on this topic, I am not sure if race-based representation is the best way to go. But taking a leaf from NZ's political system, perhaps one way would be to ensure minority races have the proportionate representation in Parliament. This can be done by having the Malay/Indian voters decide whether they want to vote for Malay/Indian electoral rolls or the general electoral roll (they can only choose one). For the Malay/Indian electoral rolls (I think Eurasian community is too small to justify having a separate electoral roll), the candidates are Malay/Indian (I think even Chinese can stand as candidates if they think they can get enough support) and a certain number get voted into Parliament (they can also represent various parties or stand as independents). If the Malay/Indian voter chooses to vote in the general electoral roll, they vote for the same choice of candidates as the Chinese.

This way, it will ensure that Malays/Indians will always have sufficient representation in Parliament and the Malays/Indians get to choose who they really want to represent them (unlike the current GRC system where it is a take it or leave it kind of thing). It is also wholly possible although unlikely that the minority races become over-represented in Parliament if they garner enough support from the general electoral roll as well (this is more likely to happen than with the GRC system).

As an example, we have 84 constituencies now. These will form the general electoral roll. 15% of 84 is about 13. So let's say we have an additional 13 seats for Malay candidates. These 13 seats will represent various parts of SG (and the Malays living there) and the responsibility of these MPs will be to ensure that the Malays' views get put across in Parliament. Similarly for the Indian electoral roll.

This is the kind of representative system I am warning the minority citizen about and it will eventually become a reality if the "regime change" Ah Beng gets control of parliament. Just as self-help is now divided along ethnic lines. They would divide the electorate along ethnic group and minority citizens will have little or no say in mainstream politics or the direction the country will take. Its a far worse system than the present GRC which at least keeps the minority candidate in the mainstream electoral process. In other words, the WP and NSP can't thrive looking like a political party from the People's Republic of China. When was the last time Mohammed Rahizan of the WP took the PAP to task over Malay issue?

This is just a rough sketch (I don't have time to think through the details now) and I don't think a system like this will be implemented any time soon as it still needs to be refined and approved by the people. If you have suggestions for a system, let's hear it and maybe some political party may pick it as their platform for the elections.

My suggestion is simply this - Minority citizens should avoid the Ah Beng political party like WP and NSP. Use community pressure to get their 1 or 2 minority party members like Mohammed Rahizan to step down. That should not be too difficult for the Malay community. The Indians are absent in both parties. This will render both these parties unable to contest the GRC and confine them to the 2 or 3 SMCs. When the Ah Beng leadership is wiped out and a moderate participatory committee takes over, minorities can evaluate them again on their terms and then decide if they are deserving of political support.

yellow_people

Alfrescian
Loyal

Warning to firms: Do not use Mandarin to discriminate

147th Singapore Prostitute Press, 16 November 2005

"PRIME Minister Lee Hsien Loong urged employers not to discriminate against non-Chinese by setting Mandarin as a requirement even for jobs that do not need it.

Their hiring decisions should be based purely on merit, he said, and when a job does not require someone to speak Mandarin, employers must not demand it as a prerequisite.

Making it clear that the Government is aware of unhappiness among some over the issue, he also said: 'Sometimes we hear of employers who require job applicants to speak Mandarin, then when a non-Chinese shows up who speaks Mandarin, the employer demands that he read or write the language as well...."

When the Ah Beng tells the minority citizen to study Mandarin, he is basically stalling.