• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Renovation to your homes

Narmi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: DIY path & budget guide

Oh yeah in addition initially i told him 10 air con units but after he survey my hse he recommended that 8 is enough..

vincentck

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oh yeah in addition initially i told him 10 air con units but after he survey my hse he recommended that 8 is enough..

Bro Narmi, is your house using 3-phase electricity or single phase only? It might be safer to change to 3-phase for the long term because you have so many AC units.

Narmi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro Narmi, is your house using 3-phase electricity or single phase only? It might be safer to change to 3-phase for the long term because you have so many AC units.

Tks Vincent bro for the advice. U installg 3 way isit? I doubt our supply there is 3 way. Yes its 8 units but i doubt all will be switched on at one go. Most prob will be 3-4 at any one time.

Anyway even if we want to install can the electrician do it? Fr wat i read it depends on compatibility as well

vincentck

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tks Vincent bro for the advice. U installg 3 way isit? I doubt our supply there is 3 way. Yes its 8 units but i doubt all will be switched on at one go. Most prob will be 3-4 at any one time.

Anyway even if we want to install can the electrician do it? Fr wat i read it depends on compatibility as well

Yes, I will change mine to 3-phase. Developers mostly give single phase, unless its for sim-d or bungalows. Why 3-phase is so that you will not get a trip if you switch on 3 or more ACs at the same time. Don't forget, your fridge, lights, TV, home theatre may also be turned on at the same time. Imagine the load on the fuse. It will definitely trip (which is good) or burst in flames (which is bad).

A normal electrician cannot do it. You will need to apply to TNB to convert your supply to 3-phase, pay more for your TNB deposit and get a TNB-certified/recognized electrician to install for you. The wiring at the main and the circuit box will probably be upgraded as well. It's kinda big project, but I want peace of mind when or in case I switch on 4 or 5 ACs at the same time.

myrsing

Alfrescian
Loyal
A normal electrician cannot do it. You will need to apply to TNB to convert your supply to 3-phase, pay more for your TNB deposit and get a TNB-certified/recognized electrician to install for you. The wiring at the main and the circuit box will probably be upgraded as well. It's kinda big project, but I want peace of mind when or in case I switch on 4 or 5 ACs at the same time.

Bro, is it a norm to leave the wiring as it is? I mean do u do a rewiring when u start your reno (new unit fm developer)?

vincentck

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, is it a norm to leave the wiring as it is? I mean do u do a rewiring when u start your reno (new unit fm developer)?

Yes it's a norm. Owners seldom change to 3-phase because they don't see a need, it's expensive and time-consuming. If you stay in an intermediate house, you probably don't need to change to 3-phase.

But for corner/semi-d/bungalow and maybe end lots, owners may install more ACs than usual. The advice that I remember is that if there's a possibility that you have 3 ACs running at the same time, it's safer to have 3-phase power supply to avoid your circuit box from overloading.

BTW, you may get more info at www.tnb.com.my

Narmi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes it's a norm. Owners seldom change to 3-phase because they don't see a need, it's expensive and time-consuming. If you stay in an intermediate house, you probably don't need to change to 3-phase.

But for corner/semi-d/bungalow and maybe end lots, owners may install more ACs than usual. The advice that I remember is that if there's a possibility that you have 3 ACs running at the same time, it's safer to have 3-phase power supply to avoid your circuit box from overloading.

Bro vincent

Does this mean u need to install the 3 phase first before installg air con, lighting etc or it doesnt matter u can install ur stuff first?

Narmi

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bro vincent

Does this mean u need to install the 3 phase first before installg air con, lighting etc or it doesnt matter u can install ur stuff first?

vincentck

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro vincent

I dunno what is the correct order; but I believe it can b done concurrently.

Narmi

Alfrescian
Loyal
I dunno what is the correct order; but I believe it can b done concurrently.

Bro vincent

Gd news cos my hse electricity ss is 3 phase (phew)..in fact all 4c precint hse installed with 3 phase. I checked with d project manager n also double check with the air con guy who went to survey my hse .

siongkia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Yes 3 phase makes sense if the overall electrical load is going to be high at times, otherwise there could be tripping problems which could be due to load shedding.This can cause inconvenience and could even be a safety issue. 3 phase is costly at first but better in the long run.

vincentck

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro vincent

Gd news cos my hse electricity ss is 3 phase (phew)..in fact all 4c precint hse installed with 3 phase. I checked with d project manager n also double check with the air con guy who went to survey my hse .

Bro Narmi, good for you. Save you the money and hassle of converting. Hmmm, wonder why they put 3-phase for terraces in P4; unless by 4C you are referring to the semi-dees only. How did you know who is the project manager? I need to find out how much load can my 8B roof support.

vincentck

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi, does anybody have any electrician to recommend? I need one to fix my bathroom light. I've changed the light tube, but there's still no light. So it's either the light casing or wiring. Thanks.

Narmi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro Narmi, good for you. Save you the money and hassle of converting. Hmmm, wonder why they put 3-phase for terraces in P4; unless by 4C you are referring to the semi-dees only. How did you know who is the project manager? I need to find out how much load can my 8B roof support.

Oh yeah by 4C i meant d semi-d :smile:

I think u might know him (mr amran) actually i do not know his actual post but he is d guy i hv seen lookg after the project since d beginning n now when completed d guy tt supervise rectificatn hence d label i unilaterally bestowed.
Structural load may not be his forte cos u hv to be qualified engineer to confirm tt but i think he may be able to tell since he is very experienced..small talk made reveald he stays in BI.

vincentck

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oh yeah by 4C i meant d semi-d :smile:

I think u might know him (mr amran) actually i do not know his actual post but he is d guy i hv seen lookg after the project since d beginning n now when completed d guy tt supervise rectificatn hence d label i unilaterally bestowed.
Structural load may not be his forte cos u hv to be qualified engineer to confirm tt but i think he may be able to tell since he is very experienced..small talk made reveald he stays in BI.

Sorry, never heard of him. I think UEM has a lot of staff in their project office to manage the various projects released at the same time.

Understandable that they would install 3-phase supply in a semi-dee. Only wish they did it for corner unit terraces too; which technically is the same as a semi-dee.... Haha

How's your renovation? Would you recommend your contractor?

Grago

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi, does anybody have any electrician to recommend? I need one to fix my bathroom light. I've changed the light tube, but there's still no light. So it's either the light casing or wiring. Thanks.
Vince call Chong on 0197640071. Several of the forummers here has used him and I have not heard or read of any complaints.

Narmi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry, never heard of him. I think UEM has a lot of staff in their project office to manage the various projects released at the same time.

Understandable that they would install 3-phase supply in a semi-dee. Only wish they did it for corner unit terraces too; which technically is the same as a semi-dee.... Haha

How's your renovation? Would you recommend your contractor?

Vincent bro
So far d contractor looks ok n based on at least 3 of d houses he is doing now in 4c wic r in different stages of completion, looks good. Thats why i award my reno to d contractor even tho not the cheapest but i can see his works in my precinct n i can catch him easily cos his office along ni showrm office. Btw he may also be doing the dato's unit as i saw him making measurements.

vincentck

Alfrescian
Loyal
Vincent bro
So far d contractor looks ok n based on at least 3 of d houses he is doing now in 4c wic r in different stages of completion, looks good. Thats why i award my reno to d contractor even tho not the cheapest but i can see his works in my precinct n i can catch him easily cos his office along ni showrm office. Btw he may also be doing the dato's unit as i saw him making measurements.

Oh, the contractor near NI sales office. I've seen them before, but not sure how good are they. But they are business savvy to rent a shop near an area with new houses launching in the next few months.

Narmi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oh, the contractor near NI sales office. I've seen them before, but not sure how good are they. But they are business savvy to rent a shop near an area with new houses launching in the next few months.

Yup biz savvy indeed...its more of a family business from what i observe where the wife helms the office (their young children also there cos i guess its d sch hols), while d hubby is out and he is assisted by his younger brother also.