• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Renovation to your homes

danteakc

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: DIY path & budget guide

Finally I plugged in the second-last contractor into line yesterday (last is curtain – anyone has recommendation pls share). I am not recommending quality of work yet because work starts next week only.

To recap, I reported in Main Page, from the October Persada where I secured some good deals.

What I have learned since is that there are two ways to go about it.

1) Engage an Interior Designer. Expect that they might markup up to 50% for each item of work (in a case, I found out markup of 1200%) even before counting their project management fees. This should be for people who do not mind paying more, for convenience and outsource everything. No wrong or right, just a matter of preference and affordability.

2) Do It Yourself. I chose this and this post is for those considering taking this path. Have to deal with more contractors and vendors but you feel better to ensure you have got the best prices within your time limit.

The thing I did not expect was the length of time to do defects rectification by the developer from date of vacant possession. This has been the most frustrating so far but it has now reached a level ready to start my renovations. Allow at least 2 months for this, unless you are not fussy.

Is important to start a philosophy of what you want to achieve given the budget you have as it will sharpen your prioritisation. I started with a Budget of RM80k, and it easily ballooned to RM150k when I added on many ‘would-like-to-have s’. It was a challenge to bring it down to RM95k where it stands now, but have achieved it thus far by sacrificing some items by deciding to delay things like wooden dining set by settling for plastic foldable tables & chairs as my priority is a place ready to stay and a kitchen to cook. It is important to set minimal standards of acceptance in case I have to rent out. Hope to still find ways to cut to RM80k but I am lucky my kitchen contractor can give good credit terms so can hope to count on some 13 month salary...

Once the budget has been done, you need to first engage your kitchen contractor because the kitchen is probably the most complicated as it involves electrician (hood, hob, electrical points relative to kitchen design and placing), even developer (eg tiles model) and in some cases the plumber (for those wanting extensive sink renovations or those wanting to accentuate the functionality of a kitchen island).

This means the first to start work is the electrician. In my case my developer did not provide enough hot water and electrical points. Lesson is not to hold high expectations from the developer, no matter your development.

You have to think about the sequence. After electrician, I plan grille contractor before kitchen contractor. Thinking is to secure the stuff like appliances and furnishings that will come in. Also curtain contractor should be not far in sequence, to keep house from prying eyes.

Electrical appliances & furnishings should come in last in terms of installation.

There are two things that I had to postpone till I can get save enough bullets – wooden dining table as said above, and maybe 10 years later; wooden flooring as is quite expensive and autogate as is not high priority.

Budget as follows is just for a guide only because it will always depend on size of your house, philosophy & priority you want and what quality you want:

Electrician-RM3k
Grille-RM6k
Kitchen (Dry and Wet) & hoods, hobs, oven – RM30k – I sacrificed others to splurge on this :smile:
TV, DVD, Antenna – RM3k
Instant hot water units & washing machine & fridge – RM5k
Shower glass slides – RM5k
Lights – RM10k
Fans & Ac – RM12k
Wardrobes, beds, mattresses – RM16k
Sofa set – RM5k
Curtains – unknown yet…(appreciate recommendations)

I hope this has helped you. Is my way of saying thank you for those who have shared in this forum and to pay it forward to those who will benefit from this.

Hoping all to be completed before end of the year but mentally getting ready for delays. I am sure many people can get better prices than here for some items, but do bear in mind hard to compare apple to apple as there are just too many variables depending on quality, material, specs, etc. All the best !

hey do you know how to mix cement and water? All my drain cover got rusted. I know how to wack the drain covered up but don know how to mix cement and water.

contra

Alfrescian
Loyal

hey do you know how to mix cement and water? All my drain cover got rusted. I know how to wack the drain covered up but don know how to mix cement and water.

no idea. any one can share? Is a skill that would be useful to know.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal

no idea. any one can share? Is a skill that would be useful to know.

I ever come across some cement powder in Mr DIY shop, the packet has instruction like mixing one part water to two or three parts of cement (can't remember exact). I see the contractor workers mixing cement do it in a roughly manner, usually they use water from a container and pour into a cement pail, and not much water is used..they can even mix very little cement powder with very little water for small patching up.

captainjones

Alfrescian
Loyal

I ever come across some cement powder in Mr DIY shop, the packet has instruction like mixing one part water to two or three parts of cement (can't remember exact). I see the contractor workers mixing cement do it in a roughly manner, usually they use water from a container and pour into a cement pail, and not much water is used..they can even mix very little cement powder with very little water for small patching up.

For easy mix, get the cement adhesive (http://www.buildersmart.com.sg/store/index.php/mapei-keraflex-maxi.html), which only requires to add water. It is more expensive than the normal cement powder which requires sand mixture. Check the expiry date too. you will need:
1) a pail (those that used for washing clothes before washing machines became economical)
2) a planting spade with short handle (for mixing the cement and water)
3) a 1 liter container (for water and cement measurement)
4) a strong pair of hands

The steps for mixing:
1) add 4 liters of cement into the pail. Pile the cement and make a hole in the middle
2) pour about 1 liter or lesser into the cement hole
3) mix them together for 5-10 min using the planter spade
4) test the stickiness of the mixed cement. It should have an elastic feel. If it fell off your fingers easier, add more cement. if too hard, add some water and mix

If mixing is too hard work, you can buy a simple electric cement mixer. It looks like a cake mixer with a long rotating arm. You can find it in construction equipment shop along Jalan Besar.

Narmi

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hi all
Luckily I take my own sweet time to look see look see for reno as I didnt expect to be receiving a new addition to my family :smile:. So now my reno needs to take into a/c my latest addition in terms of child safety especially my yard has a slope.

potter

Alfrescian
Loyal

Formula = sand + cement + water

potter

Alfrescian
Loyal

For erecting walls, doing tiling, I see them using sand. For small patching up after Reno, I see them add water only.

cement + water = for smoothing the surface. crack may appear if the proportion is not right. anyway both also can la..:biggrin:

Narmi

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hi guys/sis

some update on my reno after some latest unexpected but definitely happy development in my family 'affair' :smile::

I intend to keep to my budget of Sg45-50k (abt rm112-125k) includg furnishing

Have firmed up with d contractor n cabinet maker so far:
1) cabinet: latest damage is 17k including oven, hob, chimney hood, 2sinks+taps, 2 dish racks(i added solid surface for both dry kitchen n island also instead of just wet kitchen initialy)

2) Contractor: Damage is abt 50k
-installation of grilles to all doors n windows
-remove see thru GI fence and build 6feet fencing wall ard house perimeter with concrete ground beam
-install 1x side iron gate beside main gate and 1x backyard iron gate
-install fencing wall with ground beam at the slope in my yard with 1x iron gate at d stairs
-built stairs with non-slip tiles at my yard
-install polycarbonate panel skylight in my open air master bath shower room (i not so open minded as to bathe without a rooftop haha :smile:) --well its more to keep out the rain
-build cabinet steps for wet, dry and island area
-remove wet kitchen back gate n change to two layer stainless steel door n + remove wet kitchen grill and build wall

Estimated things to buy n do (not confirmed d cost yet but i hope its within d budget i set)
3) lightings & plumbing
4) air con
5) change main gate
6) furniture
7) painting
8) alarm/cctv sys
9) fridge
10) tv
11) basic landscaping/ carpet grass
12) washing machine
13) microwave
14) vacuum
15) curtains (cannot forget haha)

I will use the contacts given so far for the above by our fellow forummers. Hope all goes well.

Wish me well!

Last edited:

anthonion

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hi guys/sis

some update on my reno after some latest unexpected but definitely happy development in my family 'affair' :smile::

I intend to keep to my budget of Sg45-50k (abt rm112-125k) includg furnishing

Have firmed up with d contractor n cabinet maker so far:
1) cabinet: latest damage is 17k including oven, hob, chimney hood, 2sinks+taps, 2 dish racks(i added solid surface for both dry kitchen n island also instead of just wet kitchen initialy)

2) Contractor: Damage is abt 50k
-installation of grilles to all doors n windows
-remove see thru GI fence and build 6feet fencing wall ard house perimeter with concrete ground beam
-install 1x side iron gate beside main gate and 1x backyard iron gate
-install fencing wall with ground beam at the slope in my yard with 1x iron gate at d stairs
-built stairs with non-slip tiles at my yard
-install polycarbonate panel skylight in my open air master bath shower room (i not so open minded as to bathe without a rooftop haha :smile:) --well its more to keep out the rain
-build cabinet steps for wet, dry and island area
-remove wet kitchen back gate n change to two layer stainless steel door n + remove wet kitchen grill and build wall

I will use the contacts given so far for the above by our fellow forummers. Hope all goes well.

Wish me well!

Hi, pls PM me the contacts of 1) and 2)
also pls update if you really manage to get those items within the budgets?

thanks a lot

tutucake

Alfrescian
Loyal

Nostalgic. I like it! I bet the price must be pretty high as well.

Yes, it's on the high side. But such designs are hard to come by. Especially when the entire shop sells this kinda style. I know some folks here wouldn't mind spending the money to get the desired look for their homes.

SandySwee

Alfrescian
Loyal

Can I know how much per foot run your cabinet maker charges you for your solid surface top. My contractor gave me quote for marble/granite, waterproof & heat resistance, about 250RM to 350RM. My bro installed solid surface just about 2 months ago and a ring imprint from his hot pot. How much is your cabinet per foor run? Thanks

SandySwee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Setia Tropika community

Can Anyone tell me how much per foot run your cabinet maker charges you for your solid surface top. My contractor gave me quote for marble/granite, waterproof & heat resistance, about 250RM to 350RM. My bro installed solid surface just about 2 months ago and now has a ring imprint from heat from his hot pot. How much is cabinet per foot run? Thanks

Narmi

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bros n sis..any contact to recommend for house painting?

Btw I get BH Air Con as recommended by chief Wuqi to do my air con..very nice n thoughtful uncle (mr loh)..wanted to get inverter type to save $ in long run (but more expensive) but he recommend normal ones after he knows my plan is a weekend home for the foreseeable future cos savings can only be recoup in a very longgg time..even called me n proposed that i save money by installg ceiling skirting on ground n 1st level only instead of all 3 levels cos uppermost floor is unnecessary..appreciate his thoughts as he realize i hv a young family n 1 on d way (savings made will of course be put in piggy bank :smile:)