• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Recommendations on handguns

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Maybe u just implement the basic saf armskote rules. Keep ammo, mag and piece separate under lock. Quick access maybe out but at least kid safe. Don’t clean or practice in front of your kids.
I did try discussing this with my wife.

I showed her pictures of the trigger locks. I told her that if I buy the gun I will give her the key. And that only she can release the key so the gun can be used as a safety. All on top of also putting the gun in a secure locked case with the key to that case in her possession too. She just doesnt want any guns at home.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I did try discussing this with my wife.

I showed her pictures of the trigger locks. I told her that if I buy the gun I will give her the key. And that only she can release the key so the gun can be used as a safety. All on top of also putting the gun in a secure locked case with the key to that case in her possession too. She just doesnt want any guns at home.
A kitchen knife kill too so kitchen no knife?
I dunno Canada crime conditions but if as bad as u claim so your wife not worry about gun trotting siao lang bursting into the house? Maybe u bring her to range too, physically going through safety procedures and firing a ppk may change her mind.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
A kitchen knife kill too so kitchen no knife?
I dunno Canada crime conditions but if as bad as u claim so your wife not worry about gun trotting siao lang bursting into the house? Maybe u bring her to range too, physically going through safety procedures and firing a ppk may change her mind.

No photography allowed at the course. Having 1st break now. So far only lectures.

But sounds like the most versatile gun is a shotgun that can change the choke size and also use different type of cartridges that have shots or slugs.

So you can vary what you want to use it for.

The course instructor said some super on delta force US soldier who got both legs blown off and now uses two prosthetic below knee legs went back to do his badges and is now back fighting in Syria. That guy is asked what gun he would own if he only could own one gun says a shotgun because of the versatility.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Just went through handling of 3 types of action rifles. Break action, pump action and bolt action.

The break action is the simplest to check safe you can look down the barrel from the breech.

The bolt action I say has that oomph. Fires the bullet cartridge.

Pump action is a bit unwieldy. Have to press the catch to pump and load. I guess those movies they jam the catch otherwise you cant do that easy pump and pump. Lol

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
There is a former Canadian Armed Forces guy in the class.

The instructor and him kept referring to the C7 that the military uses.

I googled it seems very similar to the M16.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Ok I passed the Non Restricted Course.

There is no time limit on when I choose to apply and pay for the possession of firearm licence. So I can wait till I actually do want to buy the gun before applying.

There were 10 of us. One female. One 13 year old kid!

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
There were 10 of us. One female. One 13 year old kid!

Fundamentals still the same. Shift your eye’s focus from target to front sight and rear sight, ensuring everything is aligned. You can tell when each image is sharpened, finally shifting the focus back to the target, keep the alignment of front and rear sights to target. Doing all these while slowly squeezing off the trigger... BANG!
That’s for precision shooting.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Once your sights are on target, next is the muscle memory. How was that trigger pull like? No sudden contraction of that index finger, slow and gentle is the way to go. The sights are misaligned due to the breathing or the wrist twisting, the forearm is sore and wobbly due to the breathing or the gun is too heavy now, the grip is too tight or too loose. Slowly iron these out- that’s why shooting needs practice...

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Fundamentals still the same. Shift your eye’s focus from target to front sight and rear sight, ensuring everything is aligned. You can tell when each image is sharpened, finally shifting the focus back to the target, keep the alignment of front and rear sights to target. Doing all these while slowly squeezing off the trigger... BANG!
That’s for precision shooting.
World record for confirmed kill at long range is held by a canadian apparently. 3400m.

He smashed the previous record by over a km.

Rob Furlong is some US guy who held it in 2004 for a few years then broken by a Brit by 10m or something then the Canadian.

Rob Furlong runs courses on marksmanship mostly deals with breathing.

Oh and I learned the red dot sights. They are not the laser pointer where red dot is on the target. There will be a red dot on the sight screen then you point the gun such that the red dot overlaps the target. Instructor says red dot sight is better than iron sights.

Costs 600 to 800 each! Ouch.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Once your sights are on target, next is the muscle memory. How was that trigger pull like? No sudden contraction of that index finger, slow and gentle is the way to go. The sights are misaligned due to the breathing or the wrist twisting, the forearm is sore and wobbly due to the breathing or the gun is too heavy now, the grip is too tight or too loose. Slowly iron these out- that’s why shooting needs practice...
Everything is better with practice.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
I find that in SAF we seldom emphasis removing oil and grease from the M16 before firing. So that probably contributes to build up of dirt and oil which can cause risk of jams or explosion.

SAF seems to be more concerned with weapon rusting so they rather the soldiers oil it better.

I think there is something about will kena charged if weapon rust right?

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Sniping is another ball game altogether, your intention is to get a handgun?
Actually maybe I will consider shotgun?

Next week is my restricted firearms safety course.

Today the instructor said glocks are the best. He is a glock gunsmith. Has several glocks and he said you want a handgun? Here's a glock. Sorry there are no other types of handguns. Haha.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I find that in SAF we seldom emphasis removing oil and grease from the M16 before firing. So that probably contributes to build up of dirt and oil which can cause risk of jams or explosion.

SAF seems to be more concerned with weapon rusting so they rather the soldiers oil it better.

I think there is something about will kena charged if weapon rust right?
If u didn’t know about removing oil before live firing, then it either u not paying attention or sgt not doing his job. All weapons need to go through fit for firing (FFF) by weapon techs before and after live firing. Soldiers with oily weapons will be “smoke out” when the oil burn off by the heat. I myself will remove oil from the parts inside the bolt carrier group, chamber and barrel. Rust won’t happen at the range since covered by the powder residues. I was a armskoteman, heavy oiling only needed when unit shut down as not enough ppl around to maintain the over 250 pieces of weapons.

As for the record long range kill by a Canadian team, it was done with proper sniper rifle with compatible scope. The previous record if I remember correctly was by a marine with a M2 50cal MG attach with a jury rig scope.