• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Putting retirement savings in equities pays off in long run

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So have you been investing $10k annually in the S&P?

that's why..................sick and tired of him/her keep saying that............see S&P went up then say invest there...............if lose money how ?

always talking on hindsight only............best is to put money in old parents' CPF a/c lah..........can get 5-6% a year......and compound...........

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
that's why..................sick and tired of him/her keep saying that............see S&P went up then say invest there...............if lose money how ?

always talking on hindsight only............best is to put money in old parents' CPF a/c lah..........can get 5-6% a year......and compound...........

wont lose money bro,go pick up a book and read,theres hundreds of books written about the snp 500 and other indices already,try reading four pillars of investing by william bernstein.....tons and tons of data and prices backtested as far back as the 1920s......nearly 100 years since the stock market history.

u want i make a bet with you for $1000 on the snp 500,twenty years from now from 2015 to 2035,if the snp500 is lower than today,ill pay u $1000.u want bet how much also can $5000,$10,000.i dont mind collecting on a suckers bet......going as far back as 1950s,economists and statisticians has discovered snp 500 has never had a losing 20 year period anywhere between 1950 to 2015.there were periods of low returns going as low as 3 or 4 percent annualised,but over the next 10 or 15 years the snp experienced a reversion to the mean performing extremely well achieving returns as high as 18 percent annualised.on average the return of the snp 500 since 1928 is about 9.8 percent.

Last edited:

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
The CPF is used by the PAP to generate return for themselves. Temasick claims that it gets 7 pct return; it pays you 2.5 pct. So, it nets 4.5 pct. If Temasick is not that bloated, the returns would have been higher.

PAP cons us of our money.

Yes if fund manager get 7% return, the investor should get 5 to 6%. 1 to 2% for management fee should be more than enough.

Last edited:

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
agreed,with such shitty results after so many years and so many decades,2.5 bloody percent?would u want to keep any investment fund manager or hedge fund that performs so poorly?why the fuck would anyone trust PAP to manage their wealth?even a monkey throwing darts at a newspaper can achieve better returns than 2.5 percent annualised.sack them i say,i rather do passive investing and achieve the average market returns of 8 percent per year without doing any work at all,expense ratio less than 0.40 percent,ccb,PAP manage ur money for you and charges u a commision fee of 3.5 percent. any mutual fund or hedge fund on wallstreet that does that would have been sacked a long time ago!!!!but 70 percent still vote for them mofo jiak liao bees PAPees!!!

Yes I see even my whole life insurance policy annual return is 4.5% over long term. Some more with life and critical illness protection. How can CPF return be so low at 2.5% over long term?

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
wont lose money bro,go pick up a book and read,theres hundreds of books written about the snp 500 and other indices already,try reading four pillars of investing by william bernstein.....tons and tons of data and prices backtested as far back as the 1920s......nearly 100 years since the stock market history.

u want i make a bet with you for $1000 on the snp 500,twenty years from now from 2015 to 2035,if the snp500 is lower than today,ill pay u $1000.u want bet how much also can $5000,$10,000.i dont mind collecting on a suckers bet......going as far back as 1950s,economists and statisticians has discovered snp 500 has never had a losing 20 year period anywhere between 1950 to 2015.there were periods of low returns going as low as 3 or 4 percent annualised,but over the next 10 or 15 years the snp experienced a reversion to the mean performing extremely well achieving returns as high as 18 percent annualised.on average the return of the snp 500 since 1928 is about 9.8 percent.

There's no need to make any bets.

Have you been following your own advice - Use of dollar cost averaging for long periods of time in the stock market (STI or S&P)??

For most sinkies, if they wish to make money from investing, they should buy HDB flat at BTO. After 10-20 years, the value of their BTO should be at least 20-30% higher at resale value. For other generation sinkies like myself, many of us have personally experienced our HDB properties increase in value by several hundred percent.

Every generation finds the price of property too high, including those who bought in the 1970s and 1980s. Years later, those same people are kicking themselves for not investing in property. It would be the same today for young sinkies who bitch that property prices are too darn high.

If you are just an average sinkie, your best investment is likely to be your HDB flat. Please kneel and suck PAP's cock for looking after you.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal

Have you been following your own advice - Use of dollar cost averaging for long periods of time in the stock market (STI or S&P)??

For most sinkies, if they wish to make money from investing, they should buy HDB flat at BTO. After 10-20 years, the value of their BTO should be at least 20-30% higher at resale value. For other generation sinkies like myself, many of us have personally experienced our HDB properties increase in value by several hundred percent.

Every generation finds the price of property too high, including those who bought in the 1970s and 1980s. Years later, those same people are kicking themselves for not investing in property. It would be the same today for young sinkies who bitch that property prices are too darn high.

If you are just an average sinkie, your best investment is likely to be your HDB flat. Please kneel and suck PAP's cock for looking after you.

That's true, the best bet is still property. However, the point here is not how best for Singaporeans to make money. The point here is how CPF should improve their returns over the long term to exceed 2.5%. I read somewhere Australia CPF equivalent get 8% over long term with cash (risk free) rate mostly at around 4%, then our CPF should be paying about 4 to 5%, assuming 0 to 1% risk free rate.

jw5

Loyal
That's true, the best bet is still property. However, the point here is not how best for Singaporeans to make money. The point here is how CPF should improve their returns over the long term to exceed 2.5%. I read somewhere Australia CPF equivalent get 8% over long term with cash (risk free) rate mostly at around 4%, then our CPF should be paying about 4 to 5%, assuming 0 to 1% risk free rate.

They cannot improve your returns to exceed 2.5% because even with the investing acumen of an "exceptional" woman and her "brilliant innovative" subordinates, they can barely make 2.5% themselves. :biggrin:

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That is ridiculous. S&P500 is risky while cpf is nearly risk free! Can index investors get guaranteed returns like the cpf? Cpf can never default on its obligations as all its liabilities are in sing dollars. Worse case ask Tharman and MAS they can make magic happen. :smile:

You buy that 'guarantee' return crap from the PAP? If the global economy tanks, the PAP won't be able to guarantee anything.
Why would anyone settle for 2.5 percent return when you can get 7 percent long term? Only idiots and those who don't want to think.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Stupidity has reached a new high!

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
They cannot improve your returns to exceed 2.5% because even with the investing acumen of an "exceptional" woman and her "brilliant innovative" subordinates, they can barely make 2.5% themselves. :biggrin:

I think Msia govt has more exceptional talent. At least I see announcements of their EPF buying and selling their own Msia stocks. They seem to be actively trading in their own market. Why aren't our CPF doing that to beef up activity in SGX? I read somewhere the activity level in SGX is languishing.

zeebjii

Alfrescian
Loyal
Equities? 10% returns a year? LOL Better than peter lynch?

What if you had bought "blue chips" tech stocks Chartered semicon at $15, venture at $20 and Creative at $40 20 years ago using 100% of your investable cpf money and kept them until today? :eek:

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
You buy that 'guarantee' return crap from the PAP? If the global economy tanks, the PAP won't be able to guarantee anything.
Why would anyone settle for 2.5 percent return when you can get 7 percent long term? Only idiots and those who don't want to think.

Vast majority of investors don't get 7 percent long term. If they did, the world by now would have been flooded with people who became millionaires from investing in the main indexes or blue chips of the stock market.

Most investors end up losing money in investing; overpriced blue chips, rubbish penny stocks, ostrich farms, forex trading, MLMs, land banking, gold shares, time-share companies, and whatever harebrained investment schemes you can think of.

If you think Malaysia's EPF or some other sovereign retirement fund is that good, by all means migrate to that country and put your retirement money into their funds.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Vast majority of investors don't get 7 percent long term. If they did, the world by now would have been flooded with people who became millionaires from investing in the main indexes or blue chips of the stock market.
You look at the angmos ...they can afford to travel after retirement. How can they afford it? Their portfolio are generating that kind of returns.
Please lah, don't shoot blanks.

Most investors end up losing money in investing; overpriced blue chips, rubbish penny stocks, ostrich farms, forex trading, MLMs, land banking, gold shares, time-share companies, and whatever harebrained investment schemes you can think of.
These are the people who speculate, not invest.

If you think Malaysia's EPF or some other sovereign retirement fund is that good, by all means migrate to that country and put your retirement money into their funds.
Is your boss going to let sinkees take the CPF money out? Your boss needs our CPF to generate income. CPF is not used for the benefit of sinkees.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
You look at the angmos ...they can afford to travel after retirement. How can they afford it? Their portfolio are generating that kind of returns.
Please lah, don't shoot blanks.

Ang Mos earn first world salaries in first world countries. They naturally can afford to travel and live better in second and third world countries where the income gap is huge.

These are the people who speculate, not invest.

Vast majority of people call themselves investors, not speculators, including those who invested money in ostrich farms, land banking and other harebrained schemes that blew up in their own faces.

Is your boss going to let sinkees take the CPF money out? Your boss needs our CPF to generate income. CPF is not used for the benefit of sinkees.

I am not taking out my CPF. It pays a good compounded interest of about 4% for me for the past few decades. I didn't bust my CPF account paying for housing, and I put a substantial amount into my SA where the interest rate is higher. CPF money is my backup retirement fund in case my own current investments take a big hit. I am satisfied with my CPF returns, given that the returns are guaranteed. My own investment returns are much higher, but they come with risks and I had lost money before.

So give and take, CPF has done pretty well for me.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ang Mos earn first world salaries in first world countries. They naturally can afford to travel and live better in second and third world countries where the income gap is huge.

Sinkapore not first world?

Vast majority of people call themselves investors, not speculators, including those who invested money in ostrich farms, land banking and other harebrained schemes that blew up in their own faces.
Just because a stupid person calls himself an investor, it doesn't make you one.

I am not taking out my CPF. It pays a good compounded interest of about 4% for me for the past few decades. I didn't bust my CPF account paying for housing, and I put a substantial amount into my SA where the interest rate is higher. CPF money is my backup retirement fund in case my own current investments take a big hit. I am satisfied with my CPF returns, given that the returns are guaranteed. My own investment returns are much higher, but they come with risks and I had lost money before.

So give and take, CPF has done pretty well for me.

4 percent return? Special return for PAP sycophants?

You don't even know how to much you lose.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Sinkapore not first world?

Just because a stupid person calls himself an investor, it doesn't make you one.

4 percent return? Special return for PAP sycophants?

You don't even know how to much you lose.

You need to spend more time reading up on how to maximize your CPF funds instead of just leaving them idle in your ordinary account or deducting most of it for your housing loans.