• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

PRs should pay more COE for cars

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is it possible to have a scheme to make PRs pay more COEs for cars? I was on the causeway at midnight on Friday night and the jam was massive with many SG plate cars, I am sure that 90% of the cars are driven by SPRs or foregners going back to Malaysia, so the numbers of SG plate cars on the road driven by foregners at any one time must be huge.

They buy SG registered cars to avoid paying the daily levy and are the ones causing roads to be jammed in Singapore, so no point having the levy which is to keep away Malaysians from jamming the roads when all they do is buy a SG registered car.

peppertail

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is it possible to have a scheme to make PRs pay more COEs for cars? I was on the causeway at midnight on Friday night and the jam was massive with many SG plate cars, I am sure that 90% of the cars are driven by SPRs or foregners going back to Malaysia, so the numbers of SG plate cars on the road driven by foregners at any one time must be huge.

They buy SG registered cars to avoid paying the daily levy and are the ones causing roads to be jammed in Singapore, so no point having the levy which is to keep away Malaysians from jamming the roads when all they do is buy a SG registered car.

How would people on this forum know if it's possible? Write in to LTA but i suggest you provide some firm statistics to support your claims. They won't act on such xenophobic butt-feelings....

Last edited:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
So you want to fix (or equalise) things by increasing the rates for them? That's stupid and evil. To be right, the locals should demand for lower prices to match the rates paid by foreigners. Foreigners already have to pay more for housing and education, two basic things that should be the equal rights to ALL human beings.

Cheers!

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
..this forum know if it's possible? Write in to LTA but i suggest you provide some firm statistics to support your claims. They won't act on such xenophobic butt-feelings....
xebay11 said:
sure that 90% of the cars are driven by SPRs or foregners going back to Malaysia, so the numbers of SG plate cars on the road driven by foregners at any one time must be huge
Can TS be cock-sure it's not other way around 90%? Weekend exodus besides Iskandar?

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think a better way is for each family to be entitled to one free COE per lifetime on the following conditions
1. husband must be citizen and have completed full time NS
2. have at least one child.
3. wife is to be 50% joint owner of vehicle (female quota taken care of)
4. husband or wife posses valid driving license
5 meet certain financial prudence criteria (eg income, loan servicing ratios)to ensure no abuse.

Above esp no 2 will also assist in our population replacement and make sure the car is for family use (drive kids to nursery/schools ect2).

Last edited:

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
So you want to fix (or equalise) things by increasing the rates for them? That's stupid and evil. To be right, the locals should demand for lower prices to match the rates paid by foreigners. Foreigners already have to pay more for housing and education, two basic things that should be the equal rights to ALL human beings.

Cheers!

Nobody asked the foreigners to be foreigners, SG is limited by resources and must somehow allocate "equal rights" accordingly....shouldn't living in landed property also be an equal right for all?

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
How would people on this forum know if it's possible? Write in to LTA but i suggest you provide some firm statistics to support your claims. They won't act on such xenophobic butt-feelings....

In the first place does LTA have such statistics? If they do I will gladly ask them....but do you think it would be released?

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal

If it were a xenophobic butt-feeling than why have VEP for Malaysian cars anyway? PR or foreigners buying a SG registered car is just by simply bypassing the VEP system, ever thought of that?

peppertail

Alfrescian
Loyal
If it were a xenophobic butt-feeling than why have VEP for Malaysian cars anyway? PR or foreigners buying a SG registered car is just by simply bypassing the VEP system, ever thought of that?

They buy a SG registered car because they live in SG you goondu...VEP is for Malaysians living in Malaysia.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
They buy a SG registered car because they live in SG you goondu...VEP is for Malaysians living in Malaysia.

They live in SG and go back on weekends to escape the high cost of living in Singapore on the weekends. Regardless of where they stay, if they drive in MY registered vehicle to SG they pay VEP...genius.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The OP has a point ....foreigners is a source of lots of sinkapore's ills. We have hundreds of thousands of filthy rich foreigners in sinkapore ...increasing fees on them from COE to higher GST would bring in loads of dough for sinkapore and help to differentiate sinkees from the foreign invaders.

peppertail

Alfrescian
Loyal
The OP has a point ....foreigners is a source of lots of sinkapore's ills. We have hundreds of thousands of filthy rich foreigners in sinkapore ...increasing fees on them from COE to higher GST would bring in loads of dough for sinkapore and help to differentiate sinkees from the foreign invaders.

The OP's intention is to highlight and offer solutions to the ever increasing car population. Giving more 'dough' to the government will do nothing for it, neither will your xenophobic-political hogwash.