• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Perm Sec boasted spending S$46K to learn french cooking !!

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Good point

BG(NS)YS Tan

-is an alumni of the NUS Business School (MBA class of 1987),

-was on the Steering Committee to review university governance and funding when he was MOF's Deputy Secretary (Policy) and

-was on the National University of Singapore Council from 2004 to 2006.

Yet, despite the govt claim that NUS is world class-his son is going to a US University.

I don't know of one single senior PAP shithead, past or present, that send their children to NUS. They mostly go to private schools overseas.

banova888

Alfrescian
Loyal
this is his money, and it is at his disposal. he is nothing wrong. thinking of this, you may wonder how much a meal for those priviledged and powerful.
i am taking the mixed vegetable rice for $2.30 for the lunch (for three vege
and lots of curry - curry free of charge) and $2.80 for dinner (two vege and chicken with lots of curry) with no drinks - no breakfast (coffee o $1.00 or $0.90 can't afford). same as human but different life. looking at those who depends on $300 for a month, this $46k can last for about 12 years and 9 months. what the fish.

Based on your calculations, it should last for 12 generations!!!!
and not 12 years:oIo:

Care to re-calculate?

funglung

Alfrescian
Loyal
Vote out everyone of those Bastards In White and
all their running dogs like this bastard boasting of how
he spend the $$$ that stolen from us by those BIW and given
to their pet running dogs

VOTE OUT ALL THOSE BASTARDS

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
sg-pm2.jpg

Cum on lah! What's $47k? My wife spent more learning how to invest! *hee*hee*

jw5

Loyal
Yes, your eyes are not playing tricks on you and neither is there a typo mistake. Mr Tan Yong Soon, a senior civil servant with the Ministry of Environment and Water Resources had actually spent S$15,500 per head, or S$46,500 in all to attend a French cooking course in Paris.

Not that it was immoral for him to do so, but to boast about it openly in the papers to ordinary Singaporeans fretting about their livelihoods amidst an economic recession is downright insensitive, callous and arrogant.

Read the stunning revelation here:

http://wayangparty.com/2009/01/06/s...bout-spending-s46500-to-learn-french-cooking/
Highly inappropriate.

jw5

Loyal
this is his money, and it is at his disposal. he is nothing wrong. thinking of this, you may wonder how much a meal for those priviledged and powerful.
i am taking the mixed vegetable rice for $2.30 for the lunch (for three vege
and lots of curry - curry free of charge) and $2.80 for dinner (two vege and chicken with lots of curry) with no drinks - no breakfast (coffee o $1.00 or $0.90 can't afford). same as human but different life. looking at those who depends on $300 for a month, this $46k can last for about 12 years and 9 months. what the fish.
Agree nothing wrong with treating his family to a different type of holiday.
But is it appropriate to publicize it in the press, especially during this severe economic downturn?

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Now we know why pap said not enough budget for the poor. The monies have been allocated to the wrong ministries and ended up with the wrong people. Instead of paying extra $50 to help the poor, we have someone spending nearly $50,000 to learn french cooking. What a gracious society pap have build for our cuntry.

rickws8437

Alfrescian
Loyal
Very insensitive of him to talk abt this during this trying times. Agreed that what he does with his money and time is his business but to brat abt it really make me boil. Imagine how happy it would made the poor and the homeless if he donate the money to them. This really goes to show that most rich people really do not empathise with the poor.
How I wish if the table will to turn.

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Elite family needed to take a long break after kicking too many peasants' in their balls :biggrin:

Wonder where the infamous Wee Shumin and family went for their hols?

STUCK_HERE

Alfrescian
Loyal
Very insensitive of him to talk abt this during this trying times. Agreed that what he does with his money and time is his business but to brat abt it really make me boil. Imagine how happy it would made the poor and the homeless if he donate the money to them. This really goes to show that most rich people really do not empathise with the poor.

Donate? Haha!

jw5

Loyal
I used to think that the PAP government and their civil servants had some "intellectual empathy" (i.e. the ability to empathize due to intelligent and logical reasoning) but not so much of "practical empathy" (i.e. the ability to empathize due to their own experiences and compassion).

After this article, I'm beginning to think again. :(

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Lousy PR, in these trying times. Not that we be-grudge on what he does with his money.

Also isn't it ironical, isn't non-wastage implicit in the same stat board?:rolleyes:

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

I am not in complete agreement that its his "money". This clown is a public leech. He was a SAF scholar, and his 2 masters degrees were also paid for by the singaporean taxpayers. He was a BG in the SAF, and than held a series of portfolios in the GLCs and Ministries. This clown has not accomplish one single thing on his own, but has been living off the public jobs for years. Unlike some other PAP clowns, who made money and a career in the private sector before joining the PAP, he is not one of them.

facial

Alfrescian
Loyal
"Most times, when you are at the top, you think you are indispensable. But if you are a good leader who has built up a good team, it is possible to go away for five weeks or even longer.” Perm Sec Tan Yong Soon

:confused::confused::confused:

lolabunny

Alfrescian
Loyal
I used to think that the PAP government and their civil servants had some "intellectual empathy" (i.e. the ability to empathize due to intelligent and logical reasoning) but not so much of "practical empathy" (i.e. the ability to empathize due to their own experiences and compassion).

After this article, I'm beginning to think again. :(

Both types of empathy have their blind spots. :wink::wink::wink::smile::smile::smile:

I think it's great that such an article is published. Don't know why you guys are making a big hooha about this.

This is prime example of meritocratic success in our world. You make it, get an iron clad rice bowl, and you can do anything you want. Otherwise, life just gives you a good kick in the balls.

You don't need to be sensitive, you don't need EQ, you don't need any empathy. You just need to be capable at your job, get promoted and look!!

This is where it gets you. :smile::smile::smile:

If one sinkaporean can do it, so can we!

I'm not saying that you guys are sour grapes, but if you could afford what he did, would you complain?

It's a meaningful thing to be able to give your family a educational vacation, as opposed to something stupid like an All-Europe guided tour.

We should all save the article and tell our kids to study hard because one day, even in the throes of the worst recession the world will know, he could be the lucky successful guy who can afford all these and be able to boast without repercussions. :p:p:wink::wink::smile::smile:

ONLY IN SINKAPORE!!! :smile::smile::smile::smile:

lolabunny

Alfrescian
Loyal

Aren't school holidays over by now? Shouldn't you be doing your homework instead of spouting some idealistic naive ideas here? :cool:

Since when did rich people ever empathized with anyone other than themselves?

Please name some names so we know who the heroes are. DUH. :rolleyes: