• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Perm Sec who went to France to learn cooking retires as millionaire at 57

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=2]Perm Sec who went to France to learn cooking retires as millionaire[/h]
PostDateIcon.png
September 1st, 2012 |
PostAuthorIcon.png
Author: Editorial

tanyongsoon.jpg
Perm Sec Tan Yong Soon learned French cooking at the famous french cooking school 'Le Cordon Bleu'. (Photo ST)

THE Permanent Secretary of the National Climate Change Secretariat (NCCS) in the Prime Minister’s Office, Mr Tan Yong Soon, 57, is retiring after 35 years in public service.

Mr Niam Chiang Meng, who is currently the Perm Sec of the National Population and Talent Division (NPTD) will take over from Mr Tan on 1 Oct. However, Mr Niam will still concurrently oversee the NPTD as well. In other words, PMO is having 1 Perm Sec to run 2 Govt agencies instead of having 2 to oversee previously.

In a statement, the Public Service Division said Mr Tan has been instrumental in developing and strengthening Singapore’s national climate change structure and capabilities.

Before heading the NCCS, Mr Tan was the Perm Sec in the Ministry of the Environment and Water Resources (MEWR) from 2004 to 2010. It was during his tenure in MEWR that his famous French cooking trip caused a storm in Singapore.

It was supposedly an innocuous travelogue about his family holiday in Paris, France. When he accepted the Straits Times’ invitation to write about his experiences at the prestigious french cooking school, ‘Le Cordon Bleu’, he probably did not anticipate the backlash from Singapore’s vociferous blogging community after the publication of his article on ST Life (‘Cooking up the holiday spirit’, 6 Jan 2009).

The 3 week lesson cost $15,500 per head and in total $46,500 for Mr Tan, his wife and son, not including air tickets and living expenses in France. In all, his 5-week holiday-cum-cooking trip to France in Dec 2008 with his family, probably cost more than $50,000.

Netizens lampooned Mr Tan for his apparent lack of empathy and sensitivity in flaunting his wealth during an economic recession then which had seen many ordinary Singaporeans struggling to make ends meet. The focus was initially on Mr Tan, but soon snowballed to engulf other contentious issues such as the high salaries and perks enjoyed by civil servants and ministers. In an online poll, 76% of 683 respondents expressed dismay and outrage at Mr Tan’s excesses.

To make matters worse, Mr Tan, a top civil servant who earned $1.54M a year, wrote in the article, “Taking five weeks leave from work is not as difficult as one thinks. Most times when you are at the top, you think you are indispensable. But if you are a good leader who has built up a good team, it is possible.”

The public was so infuriated that even international news agency, Reuters, picked up the news and reported it (‘Singapore bureaucrat’s cooking trip sparks outcry‘).

Facing the public wrath, the minister-in-charge of the civil service, DPM Teo Chee Hean had no choice but to criticize Mr Tan’s article in Parliament later as “lacking sensitivity and being ill-judged”.

Mr Tan, a former SAF Overseas Scholarship holder, was principal private secretary to then Prime Minister Goh Chok Tong from 1995 to 1997. He was also deputy secretary in the Finance Ministry and in 2001, was appointed chief executive of the Urban Redevelopment Authority.
Mr Tan now retires as a millionaire.
Join our TRE facebook page here: http://www.facebook.com/TREmeritus

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
His monthly salary is $125 000.
Gosh! I wonder how many of these fat cats in civil service.
Chee bye no wonder everything so expensive.

M

Mdm Tang

we have lost the joy of public service ... David Marshall

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
what's the problem? soon singaporeans will all afford to drive a Lambo...every hdb dweller and owner is a millionaire..so many
of them here....well done singapore!!!

wheels1e.jpg

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
His monthly salary is $125 000.
Gosh! I wonder how many of these fat cats in civil service.
Chee bye no wonder everything so expensive.
Wonder how many perm secs are there currentLy in our civiL service ?..:eek:

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

we have lost the joy of public service ... David Marshall

where got lost joy. got job. got iron rice bowl. good pay. good work balance.good fellowship. good terms. good maternal leave.good paternal leave. good benefits. we have a world class civil governance. world best civil governance. i salute all civil servants. we should always pay them well and support them. they are the reasons for singapore's world best image. majulahsingapura!!!

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
i personally thought they only earn $20K a month niah....salary $125K so much meh?

no wonder....no wonder...they are so happy people.

A part time back bencher useless MP like Kate Spade Tin already earning $16000 a month salary, why should $125K be a surprise to you?

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Now he can go after his lifelong dream, open a French restaurant in Singapore. May I be so bold as to suggest a name for his restuarant? "La Chute du Public"

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
A part time back bencher useless MP like Kate Spade Tin already earning $16000 a month salary, why should $125K be a surprise to you?

i stoopid mah. never know so much salary for our civil servant. mp like kate spade i know from thepapers. but top civil servants salaries i dont know lah.pls pardon my ignornace. i know top ps very important people. they do great jobs. great responsibilities.greatr scholars. they deserve more than that i think so.but it's definitely very high. good for them .surely they will find joy in their discharges of their duties and responsibilities. good for singapore nevertheless.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Knn, you all don't know arh? PS means PERMANENT, rice bowl even more iron than most MP.

Fuck, if limpeh got degree qualification sure go this path.

ConyuConhee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now he can go after his lifelong dream, open a French restaurant in Singapore. May I be so bold as to suggest a name for his restuarant? "La Chute du Public"

vote pap
for more good years
for your children
vote wisely
your vote is important
pap is bestest
moron

Semaj2357

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
>>Perm Sec who went to France to learn cooking retires as millionaire....
Mr Niam Chiang Meng, who is currently the Perm Sec of the National Population and Talent Division (NPTD) will take over from Mr Tan on 1 Oct. However, Mr Niam will still concurrently oversee the NPTD as well. In other words, PMO is having 1 Perm Sec to run 2 Govt agencies instead of having 2 to oversee previously..

In an online poll, 76% of 683 respondents expressed dismay and outrage at Mr Tan’s excesses...To make matters worse, Mr Tan, a top civil servant who earned $1.54M a yearMr Tan now retires as a millionaire.<<

I think we lost the plot somewhere along the way...Do we need two persons to do the job of one and making another millionaire in the process :confused:

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Knn, you all don't know arh? PS means PERMANENT, rice bowl even more iron than most MP.

Fuck, if limpeh got degree qualification sure go this path.

thank you.PERMANENT RICE BOWL better than iron...maybe GOLD AND DIAMOND BOWL....anyway good for all the PS. they do great jobs in all the ministries. i am now more proud of them. earn so much and be respected the world over. great governance !

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Although this mother fucker is a leech, i don't mind gao puay this type of leech. But better show limpeh the money.

M

Mdm Tang

Quote of Day :

..."To make matters worse, Mr Tan, a top civil servant who earned $1.54M a year, wrote in the article, “Taking five weeks leave from work is not as difficult as one thinks. Most times when you are at the top, you think you are indispensable. But if you are a good leader who has built up a good team, it is possible.” ...."

M

Mdm Tang

it is also possible to have flooding at downtown

Orchard Rd once in 50 years ...

Before heading the NCCS, Mr Tan was the Perm Sec in the Ministry of the Environment and Water Resources (MEWR) from 2004 to 2010. It was during his tenure in MEWR that his famous French cooking trip caused a storm in Singapore.

M

Mdm Tang

bros ,

Tan from which elite Tribal in sgp ?

tks...

THE Permanent Secretary of the National Climate Change Secretariat (NCCS) in the Prime Minister’s Office, Mr Tan Yong Soon, 57, is retiring after 35 years in public service.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Braddell rd whores left out the cooking class part when they reported it. Good for TRE to remind Singaporeans.