• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious PAP Edwin Tong Now Less Respected! Took 75% Pay Cut To Serve Sinkies! Now Even John Tan Makes More Money Than Him! Ptui!!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
colin-gct-7.jpg

Emeritus Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong has sounded a warning that Cabinet ministers are not paid enough and that down the road, Singapore will be confronted with the problem of getting competent people to join the Government.

Speaking at a dialogue with South East District residents last week, he disclosed that MP Edwin Tong, a lawyer, took a 75 per cent pay cut when he became a senior minister of state on July 1. Mr Tong previously earned more than $2 million a year as senior counsel and now makes about $500,000, Mr Goh said.

He made the pointlast Thursday in response to Braddell Heights resident Abdul Aziz, 70, who asked if ministerial salaries could be cut to fund pensions for elderly people.

The idea of helping the elderly more is not wrong - "we must do something for them", Mr Goh said.

But he dismissed the idea of cutting ministers' pay, calling it populist. If ministers are not paid well, "very, very mediocre" people will be ministers in the long run, he said. "Think about that. Is it good for you, or is it worse for us in the end?"

Giving an example of the impact of inadequate ministerial salaries, he related the difficulty he faced in drawing talented people to politics.

Mr Goh, who was prime minister from 1990 to 2004, said he tried but failed to persuade two from the private sector to stand in the 2015 General Election. One earned $10 million, and the other, $5 million, a year, he said.

Mr Tong, 48, who was a partner at leading law firm Allen and Gledhill, is an exception, because he wants to serve, Mr Goh added.

Mr Goh said that after Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong approached Mr Tong to be a senior minister of state, Mr Tong went to see Mr Goh. They are fellow MPs for Marine Parade GRC.

Mr Goh recalled their conversation: "He said, at this stage of his life, he has got a house, he has got a mother-in-law to support, a father-in-law to support, his own parents and so on, what should he do?

"So I asked him, 'Edwin, what are you in politics for?' He said, 'Here to serve.' So I said, 'Well, you know, between $2 million and perhaps half a million, later on you hopefully become a full minister, $1 million, you have to decide which is more important.'

"He said, 'Yes, I will take it on.' And he felt very strongly that he could do the job."

Mr Goh added: "We dare not pay ministers a good wage."

The Straits Times has reached out to Mr Tong for comment.

Mr Tong entered politics in 2011 when he was elected an MP in the general election. The issue of ministerial salaries was hotly debated during the election, and in the aftermath, an independent committee was formed to review the salaries of office-holders.

The Government later accepted the committee's recommendation of an across-the-board reduction in ministerial salaries. The starting pay of entry-level ministers was cut by more than a third, to $935,000.

Last year, an independent committee that reviewed the salaries recommended an increase for salaries to keep pace with market developments. But the Government decided against it, saying that the economy was still in transition.

Mr Goh's remarks were first reported by The Online Citizen on Sunday, based on a transcript of the exchange obtained from Mr Goh's press secretary.

At the dialogue, Mr Goh also disagreed with Mr Abdul Aziz's other suggestion: cut defence spending to fund pensions for the elderly.

He said Singapore's unique geographical situation requires it to pay for expensive advance warning systems, as hostile planes can reach Singapore within minutes.

He added that investors will not put their money here if defence were inadequate - a situation that will result in unemployment.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/cut-pay-for-ministers-spore-will-pay-price-esm-goh

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal

“If the annual salary of the Minister of Information, Communication and Arts is only $500,000, it may pose some problems when he discuss policies with media CEOs who earn millions of dollars because they need not listen to the minister’s ideas and proposals, hence a reasonable payout will help to maintain a bit of dignity.”

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal

“If the annual salary of the Minister of Information, Communication and Arts is only $500,000, it may pose some problems when he discuss policies with media CEOs who earn millions of dollars because they need not listen to the minister’s ideas and proposals, hence a reasonable payout will help to maintain a bit of dignity.”

This guy is clearly a nitwit. Even if he really felt that way, he shouldn't have said it out loud. Really a cocksucking twat w no brains!

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
So if both John n Edwin want to sell their backside I can find folks from golden escalator to try a different dish. It will booster your fortune n arseholesize。

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal

KNN by right take lesser pay has more dignity and respect so can easily hoot back this statement KNN and max respect if is a volunteer KNN

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
OK .
Now even Edwin Tong also get less respected according to GCT.

How shall we restore the shine and lustre of Singapore ? By paying them 30 million a year to run Singapore ?

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
Honestly, just when I thought Woody had grown a brain and found his heart, he had to come up with another faux pas. I guess once a white monkey, always a white monkey. Except for our good Dr TCB.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
How come. Engineers not paid as much a lawyers and accountants?

That's because the local universities train far too many engineers as compared to lawyers and accountants. The entrance requirements for engineering undergrads is much more relaxed than that for lawyers, doctors, bankers, accountants, etc

Also, the hard truth is that an engineer's skills are not that complex nor valued, as compared to that of a good lawyer or accountant. If Jho Low was as skilled in engineering as he was in banking and finance, he would be making way way less money today and wouldn't have gotten the chance to date supermodels like Miranda Kerr.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
Yahoo Poll: Are Singapore ministers paid enough?
With an annual salary of over $1.1 million, Singapore’s entry-level ministers are among the highest paid people in the country. (Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong is paid $2.2 million a year.)

Despite this, Emeritus Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong was recently reported to have said ministers are not paid enough: “I am telling you the ministers are not paid enough, and down the road, we are going to get a problem with getting people to join the government, because civil servants now earn more than ministers.”

Following ‘s ESM Goh’s comments, we put this question to you: Are ministers in Singapore paid enough?

Take the poll and let us know in the comments why you voted the way you did.

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/yahoo-poll-singapore-ministers-paid-enough-054706692.html

sbf poll.jpg

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
How come. Engineers not paid as much a lawyers and accountants?

Professional engineers can earn just as much as lawyers and accountants. In many cases they earn more.

The "engineers" you have in mind are not professional engineers they are simply those who have an engineering degree and are employed in the civil service or private sector.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Majulah PAP! Majulah Singapura!

There is a silver lining behind the heated reactions to my comments at the SECDC conference on getting the best Singaporeans to serve the country. It shows Singaporeans care deeply and hold leaders to account for their words and performance.

The audio clip of my reply at the panel discussion being circulated distorted my message by omitting the full discussion.

Please take time to read the attached transcript which was first posted on The Online Citizen website.

I do not mean nor believe that Singaporeans at whatever level of income are mediocre. Those who have worked with me know people matter the most to me. That is what I am in politics for.

Having run Singapore for 14 years as Prime Minister, my main concern remains how to bring Singapore forward. Leadership is key.

In times of prolonged crisis and upheaval, I have no doubt that Singaporeans will step forward to serve. Money would not be a key vector.

In peace and prosperity however, there are no dragons to slay. Personal aspirations, freedom, privacy and life-style take precedence.

Some Singaporeans wrote to me directly to share their views. An excerpt of my reply in one such exchange with a final year medical student in an overseas university is reproduced here:

"Salaries is not our starting point in looking for Ministers. Character, motivation, commitment, selflessness, practical abilities, competence and proven performance are the main attributes we look for. The first four attributes are veto factors.

When we look at abilities, competence and performance are reflected in a person's compensation (American term for salary)."

The student who raised genuine concerns over my comments seemed to be persuaded by my response. He has offered to help at my MPS.

Singaporeans know quality costs money - from durians to clothes to football players to military weapons.

I hope more Singaporeans will think deeply about how to ensure Singapore succeeds. I welcome diverse and dissenting views. I hope to engage them, perhaps through a forum in due course. Singapore deserves the best.

Happy National Day! --- gct

https://www.facebook.com/MParader/

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
"Salaries is not our starting point in looking for Ministers. Character, motivation, commitment, selflessness, practical abilities, competence and proven performance are the main attributes we look for. The first four attributes are veto factors.

If this is indeed the case why then has Singapore ended up with such a fucked up bunch of Ministers? They make such inane proclamations on a regular basis that one wonders how on earth they got to where they were before they became ministers. The must have some saving graces but they certainly aren't cut out for public service which requires a different set of talents.

jw5

Loyal
Hopefully this thread will remind you that Edwin is no longer available as a defence lawyer. :biggrin:

OK .
Now even Edwin Tong also get less respected according to GCT.

How shall we restore the shine and lustre of Singapore ? By paying them 30 million a year to run Singapore ?

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
If anyone wants to join the public service...their main priority is to serve. If they miss their old pay etc and kpkb..or even mention it....than they are unsuitable for office. Robert McNamara took a huge pay cut to be secretary of defense..and there was the Cuban missile crisis n the Vietnam war. He stated he took the job to give back to society. And he never mentioned he earned less pay..he was asked about his pay cut.

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
Professional engineers can earn just as much as lawyers and accountants. In many cases they earn more.

The "engineers" you have in mind are not professional engineers they are simply those who have an engineering degree and are employed in the civil service or private sector.
KNN how to become a professional engineer from a non professional one KNN

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
KNN how to become a professional engineer from a non professional one KNN

You need to qualify by passing the required assessments/exams set by the controlling authority. In Singapore I believe it is the https://www.peb.gov.sg

Being a professional engineer means you are qualified to actually design stuff. EG a structural engineer will design bridges, roofs, piers etc and is qualified to sign off the design. The signature alone is worth a lot of money.

Of course with authority and power comes responsibility. If a bridge collapses the engineer that signed it off could end up in jail if incompetence is uncovered as the cause.

Capano2121

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singaporeans should be quite comforted to know that if current ministerial pay are reduced then it will attract only "very very mediocre" individual. In the same breath then current PAP ministers being paid still lower than the private must be just so very mediocre?