• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Old man with 5 Down Syndrome kids receive help. Seriously how do these ppl think?

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I hate to start divisive threads but this article really makes me sad and angry... Why did this couple carry on having DS children when their conditions are so dire? Now the father is worried about their fate once he's gone ..... Why didn't you consider that before??

Help pours in for man with 5 Down syndrome children

tnp_downsyndrome6_0.jpg

Wednesday, Nov 28, 2012
The New Paper
By Linette Heng

SINGAPORE - He has had offers of help from the Ministry of Culture, Community and Youth and the Down Syndrome Association.

They have also approached Mr Zakaria Abdul, 77, to offer assistance and advice to admit his five grown-up children into homes.

The oldest is 55 and the youngest is 44, and all of them have Down syndrome. But Mr Zakaria is mulling the offers of aid.

That's because for the past 55 years, the proud man has been caring for them on his own with little financial help.

Mr Zakaria works as a freelance surveyor and earns about $2,000 monthly. The family live a simple life in a three-room flat in Tampines.

His wife, a housewife, died in 2000 from complications due to diabetes. She was 69.

Since his story appeared in The New Paper on Oct 11, Mr Zakaria and his children have been receiving donations and offers of help, even from the public ( Read full report here ).

Though it has been increasingly hard on him after he suffered his third heart attack in two years last month, he is reluctant to hand over his "duties".

Mr Zakaria also has thyroid disease and has to constantly shuttle between Singapore General Hospital and Changi General Hospital for check-ups in recent months.

And his children can be a handful.

Two weeks ago, two of them, Ms Rashidah and Mr Hassan, were sent to the Institute of Mental Health (IMH).

Fighting and screaming

Mr Rugiman, 59, his neighbour who has been helping him, previously said that he felt that it was time for Mr Zakaria to get professional help for his children.

His neighbours Mr Rugiman and his wife, Madam Tuminah Salim, 60, and Mr Aziz Ali, 60, visit Mr Zakaria's three-room flat in Tampines every weekday morning.

For more than 10 years, they have been helping with cleaning the house and feeding the children when Mr Zakaria is at work.

"Two of them, the eldest and the fourth, take turns to use the toilet, and they spend hours inside each time. I don't know what they are doing inside," he said.

"The eldest son and the daughter are also problematic. When their father was in the hospital, they kept screaming at night, disturbing the neighbours."

Mr Zakaria said: "Recently, they've been fighting with one another. Neighbours were starting to complain because of the screaming. I miss them, but sending them to IMH couldn't be avoided."

Though it's not something he wanted, he admits things have improved at home.

His neighbours agree that the change is for the better. Mr Rugiman Supaat said: "The house is cleaner and more peaceful now. The two of them were very problematic."

Hospital visits

Since the two were admitted to IMH, the neighbours have been visiting them at the hospital. But the neighbours advised the father to avoid visiting the children until they have settled in.

Mr Zakaria will be heading to IMH to discuss further arrangements with the doctors on Wednesday.

Mr Rugiman said: "Mr Aziz and I went to visit because we miss them. Rashidah kept saying that she wanted to go home, but I told her she can't do so."

The rest of Mr Zakaria's children, Mr Shariff, Mr Akbar and Mr Rijal, are still living with him. "At least there is still someone around him (Mr Zakaria)," Mr Rugiman said.

But time might be running out for the devoted father.

Mr Zakaria said: "I cannot drive any more. My chest feels heavy and I cannot sit down for too long. I might have no choice but to stop working soon. "

Older mum, higher risk

DOWN syndrome is a genetic condition which occurs universally across race and gender in about one in 800 births, according to the Down Syndrome Association of Singapore (DSA).

Gynaecologist Christopher Ng said the most common cause of Down syndrome is related to the mother's age - the older the mother, the higher the risk.

"It is due to an error during cell division which results in an extra 21st chromosome that leads to Down syndrome," he said.

"But in this case, since all five children have Down syndrome, it could be the inherited form of Down syndrome, which is rarer.

Defective gene

"Although a person with the defective gene may appear physically normal, he or she has a greater risk of producing a child with an extra 21st chromosome."

The DSA said that early and accurate diagnosis with appropriate treatment and follow-up allows people with Down syndrome to live a healthy and longer life in the same manner as it would allow people without it.

The DSA offers services for both adults and children.

The Adult Enhancement Programme is targeted at persons with intellectual disabilities who have graduated from special schools at the age of 18.

It aims to help them become more independent and productive in life.

The Mental Capacity Act

Parents of intellectually disabled children can appoint caregivers to take over the role of looking after the children if the parents die or become mentally incapacitated.

These caregivers, to be known as "deputies", will have to be vetted by the court, under the Mental Capacity Act.

The Act, which took effect on March 1, 2010, aims to give Singaporeans a say over who will look after them if they lose their mind to dementia, illnesses oraccidents.

In both cases, the guardians will be allowed to make decisions concerning the day-to-day welfare, medical, money and property matters of their charges.

But guardians will be barred from taking decisions such as making or revoking a Central Provident Fund nomination, or an Advanced Medical Directive.

From April 1 last year to March 31 this year, there were 225 court orders appointing 344 deputies. Eleven per cent of these cases involved developmental psychiatric disorders.

[email][email protected]
[/EMAIL]

downsyndrome5.jpg

Mr Zakaria, 77, has been caring for his 5 Down syndrome children with the help of his neighbours.

downsyndrome2.jpg

Ms Shahidah Zakaria is 44 years old and she has Down syndrome.

downsyndrome.jpg

Her brothers, who are aged from 46 to 55, were also born with the genetic disorder.

downsyndrome6.jpg

A gynaecologist said that since all five children have Down syndrome, it could be the inherited form of the disorder, which is more rare.

downsyndrome3.jpg

Mr Zakaria's wife, a homemaker, died in 2000 from complications due to diabetes. She was 69.

downsyndrome8.jpg

The neighbours - Mr Rugiman Supaat, 59, and his wife, Madam Tuminah Salim, 60, and Mr Aziz Ali, 60 - visit Mr Zakaria's three-room flat in Tampines every weekday morning.

downsyndrome16.jpg

Mr Zakaria suffered a heart attack last month, his third in two years.

downsyndrome7.jpg

But he is still holding a job, earning about $2,000 a month as a freelance surveyor. He gets about two assignments a week.

downsyndrome4.jpg

He said in a soft voice: "I cannot afford to retire. I have to continue to work to provide for my children.

downsyndrome15.jpg

"But now I am worried, I am old, how long more do I have? What will happen to my children if I kick the bucket?"

downsyndrome14.jpg

Mr Rugiman thinks that it may be time for Mr Zakaria to get professional help for his children.

downsyndrome11.jpg

"Two of them, the eldest and the fourth, take turns to use the toilet, and they spend hours inside each time. I don't know what they are doing inside," he said.

downsyndrome9.jpg

During TNP's second visit, Mr Zakaria and his friends were discussing plans for the children should anything happen to him.

downsyndrome17.jpg

Asked if he ever felt tired of taking care of the five children, the soft-spoken man shook his head and said: "No."

downsyndrome12.jpg

It is hard to imagine the children's lives without him. Mr Zakaria said: "Before I leave the flat every day, Shahidah will remind me to buy her snacks. And she will also tell me, 'Please come back.'"

downsyndrome13.jpg

For more than 50 years, he has always returned home. He's worried that he might not be able to keep this promise for much longer.

Devil Within

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Simple, because the couple is Muslim and under Islamic law, they were not allowed to use contraceptive when they get horny. After getting horny with no contraceptive, Muslims not allowed abortion also. Hence couple gets horny, no contraceptive and no abortion resulted in more stupid kids and now ask for help. Half their problems gone if they make a wise choice of ditching their stupid religion and fuck with contraceptive and go for abortion if accident happened.

Last edited:

cocobobo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Simple, because the couple is Muslim and under Islamic law, they were not allowed to use contraceptive when they get horny. After getting horny with no contraceptive, Muslims not allowed abortion also. Hence couple gets horny, no contraceptive and no abortion resulted in more stupid kids and now ask for help. Half their problems gone if they make a wise choice of ditching their stupid religion and fuck with contraceptive and go for abortion if accident happened.

U sure not? I'm in mid-east, and my arab muslim colleagues all have no pb with contraceptive.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Probably the inherited variant – familial Down's Syndrome.

His problem is symptomatic of a society where people are ignorant about the consequences of the lifestyle choices they make. If someone – a doctor, nurse or an ulama – had counselled Mr Zakaria about the causes of Down's Syndrome and advised the couple to practise contraception, this tragedy would have been avoided.

We have First World infrastructure, but, sadly, Third World mentality, ignorance and culture.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
U sure not? I'm in mid-east, and my arab muslim colleagues all have no pb with contraceptive.

Yes.. This no contraceptive rule was also followed by catholics until the 80s when Aids was discovered. In the same vein, abortion is still illegal in many western countries but there are many avenues for women who want to do it. They just cross the border to a non-catholic country.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That is why LKY is so upset. The undesirables breed like rabbits, while the intelligent and productive ones fail to meet the replacement rate.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

What they need is not contraception, but rather sterilization.

Vasectomy or tubal ligation, pick one or both.

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is why LKY is so upset. The undesirables breed like rabbits, while the intelligent and productive ones fail to meet the replacement rate.

So is LKY himself so intelligent and have breeds that have no geneitc disorder?

Open your eyes!

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
See what happens when the 2 child policy ends? Look in Society,,,whereby you have these people who are of no economic benefit, they suck up the resources of the state,,and with the rich controlling everything,,the burden is placed more and more on the middle class,,,

THe world is alrready over populated,,popn controls need to be put in place.

And this old man is fucking selfish,,as all his kids have problems,,and he is still breeding? than breed already expect society to help,,,this is bullshit,,,i know AH sam will say they need to be culled,,

I hate to admit it but its true..such people should be forced sterileised so they dont breed and give problems to the next generation

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I want to add another point...its stated that the mother is the caused of it due to her age,,,and she know is defective and still breed.,,,so where is the parental responsibility in this? U see the 1st kid is like that,,you still want to bring more into the world? such people should be shot...but a bullet is too good for them...

When I see shit like that happening,,it makes me wonder if what Hitler did was wrong,,,

numero uno

Alfrescian
Loyal
See what happens when the 2 child policy ends? Look in Society,,,whereby you have these people who are of no economic benefit, they suck up the resources of the state,,and with the rich controlling everything,,the burden is placed more and more on the middle class,,,

THe world is alrready over populated,,popn controls need to be put in place.

And this old man is fucking selfish,,as all his kids have problems,,and he is still breeding? than breed already expect society to help,,,this is bullshit,,,i know AH sam will say they need to be culled,,

I hate to admit it but its true..such people should be forced sterileised so they dont breed and give problems to the next generation

this is the usual selfish sinkie. he should be sterilised. only know how to have sex day in and out and then pass on the responsilities of 5 Down retarded adults to society to take care!!!! How irrreposible can you get!!!!!! bloody fark up shit heads. Truly selfish , idiotic, stupid and totally irresponsible. he should be castrated.

Last edited:

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
The oldest kid is 55, and youngest is 44. They were born in era where there was no affordable checks on Down syndrome in the kampongs, and it was very common to have many kids per couple. They may not even know what is Down syndrome at that time.

I admire this couple in that they brought up these children on their own when they could have easily given up or even murder them with "household accidents".

I think some of the comments here are nothing short of callous. You guys should be ashamed of yourself. Readers with infraction powers please zap all these fellows, including TS.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The oldest kid is 55, and youngest is 44. They were born in era where there was no affordable checks on Down syndrome in the kampongs, and it was very common to have many kids per couple. They may not even know what is Down syndrome at that time.

You should be zapped instead! 55 years ago no one knew anything about mental handicap? Was singapore also a fishing village?

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
You should be zapped instead! 55 years ago no one knew anything about mental handicap? Was singapore also a fishing village?
The first kid was born 55 years ago, that's 1957. This couple is Malay, very likely living in kampong. The mother was well below 40 when she gave birth. Prenatal checks on Down syndrome definitely was not widely done at that time. In fact such checks are also not commonly done today. Only pregnant women above 40 will be advised to do it. She may had even given birth in the kampong with assistance from midwives without LA.

You don't even look at the circumstances and voice out highly insensitive remarks here. Shame on you. Go ask your mother or milk nanny what was life like at that time before you continue bullshitting here.

Last edited:

ionzu

Alfrescian
Loyal
I want to add another point...its stated that the mother is the caused of it due to her age,,,and she know is defective and still breed.,,,so where is the parental responsibility in this? U see the 1st kid is like that,,you still want to bring more into the world? such people should be shot...but a bullet is too good for them...

When I see shit like that happening,,it makes me wonder if what Hitler did was wrong,,,

you should really take a long hard look at yourself in the mirror.

what hitler and the nazi party did was unequivocally wrong.

you guys have spent way too long on your tiny despotic island. get out and see the world.