• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Niegria - working and living experience?

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
nah beh...u may be right.

ciggys and US dollars - keep about 100 - 200.

Yup,I forgot about always carrying some money--not too much.It goes a long way to saving your life.

Armed robberies are not poor countries exclusive.It happens in the richest country too.Once in Brunei a local drug junkie broke into a doctor's home.In Brunei most doctors are from India.The doctor resisted and was stabbed to death.Not worth it.All the junkie wanted was a few bucks for his drug habit....just give him lah.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Location may have cash and company may have to do bank deposits, me think:o

I agree, being nice, equitable and firm,:smile: goes a long way

I avoid carrying arms or even armed guards---unless you have to go through a militia controlled territory by a convoy of armed personals.

I rather arm myself with a smile and carry the most popular cigarette of that country;even though I don't smoke.Cigarettes saved my life once.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, do you have any experience or knowledge on how is the standard of emergency medical repatriation service over there:confused:

Any reputable and trusted medical establishments:confused: Or we got to rambo and do our own injections if required.:confused:

Been to some of the most godforsaken places on this earth.But not on a long stay....never more than a couple of months on any one location.Hence my experience may not suit to advise those taking up contract jobs on 2 to 3 years.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I suspect that people are missing the point. The issue is not sanitation, quality of life, decent food, health etc. These are common issues that you find in all 3rd world countries. It is also not be being adventurous, opened minded, the ability to rough it out etc.

There are very few countries in the world that MNCs will not authorise travel to their staff for purely safety reason. Nigeria is one. There is no country in Asia that faces that restriction. Burma for sanction reasons have limited access but it has nothing to do with safety. Burma is perfectly to visit and do business if you stomach contributing to the regime's coffers.

The only listed company in Singapore that has enough experience in Nigeria is Thakral Holdings. They built their early fortune trading between Singapore and Nigeria.

The issue of personal safety has absolutely nothing do with sanitation. If you think that it has relevance, that the point is lost.

Even a network technician that is posted to Nigeria is given expat privileges. The guy in Singapore will earn about $2,500 if he is relatively new but if posted to Nigeria, the expat costs will be about 3 times to ensure his safety. To the company its worth as network security is high priority as the internal compromises are significant.

Ghana which is nearby is safe but even then foreigners still have some level of protection.

Do ask your cousin what are the terms and condition and I will help guide. His company might not be familiar or too small to comprehend.

Companies like Shell have fly in fly out policies in places like this for an obvious reason. They fly to their protected quarters, protected worksite etc and then fly out back home or to a neighbouring country for rest and recreation.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
My objective is to find out more about the rules and processes for survival amidst the chaos, or have a better understanding to work out one.:smile:

I was supposed to visit Nigeria, but eventually did not go. My friend went anyway and spent about six months in Abuja (capital).

There, they refer to chinese man as white man. And a chinese will stand out in the crowd. They eat parboiled rice, which takes a lot of getting used to. Meats are commonly sold at roadside stalls. Electricity blackouts are common, crime is rampant. People of means there live in high fenced properties. And with the right contacts, one can own firearms. Nigerians tend to be big-sized and uncouth. And lastly, you don't fuck their women, they will fuck you. :biggrin: I am glad I did not go, its a rough place.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
actually there is another country not xactly 3rd world but not exactly safe. Staff posted there are to observe strict code of conduct as well.

think everyone knows which country is this.

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, do you have any experience or knowledge on how is the standard of emergency medical repatriation service over there:confused:

Any reputable and trusted medical establishments:confused: Or we got to rambo and do our own injections if required.:confused:

Bro,Nigeria is not Papua New Guinea....by which I mean it's not a lost remote world or something.And Lagos is a city of 8 million people.And I bet their medical facilities must be far superior than most cities in Indonesia.I presume your cousin to be working in Lagos.However,if it's somewhere in the bush,a terminology for jungle by Africans,than it's a different story altogether.

No,I don't know Nigeria or Lagos.But by the look of it's population count and other statistics i would reckon it's quite close to most Indian cities.Besides,any good insurance will air lift you from the remotest part in this earth for emergencies.And believe me,where some tropical diseases are concerned even the local village doctor can better diagnose than a professor in NUH.Once I came back with an infection that bloated my lymph nods for months.The consultants could not figure out;neither the professor.Tested me for everything including HIV to cancer.Still lost.Finally,I got in touch with a local doctor thru my friend by Skype.Within mins he pointed out to the infected milk I must have drank.And also prescribed the right dose of medication.All was well then onwards.

Don't worry too much lah.

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are very few countries in the world that MNCs will not authorise travel to their staff for purely safety reason.

The only listed company in Singapore that has enough experience in Nigeria is Thakral Holdings. They built their early fortune trading between Singapore and Nigeria.

Believe me .The MNCs are the first to go to most countries not advised to go by their nations.Oil exploration,mineral giants followed by telecommunication,shipping and aviation are the first in the que.

Singapore government or quasi government companies are no exception.They trade with their militias while advising us not to.

Thakral was in Nigeria not because they know better.They simply tapped on their Indian diaspora connections. ethnic Indians control African businesses.They are Chinese too.I know of a Chinese family from HK whose relatives stays in Nigeria for good.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
even the carribean and africans from other african countries say nigerias are pretty rude and engage in crime and so on just like this scam e-mails.

gatehousethetinkertailor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Believe me .The MNCs are the first to go to most countries not advised to go by their nations.Oil exploration,mineral giants followed by telecommunication,shipping and aviation are the first in the que.

Singapore government or quasi government companies are no exception.They trade with their militias while advising us not to.

Thakral was in Nigeria not because they know better.They simply tapped on their Indian diaspora connections. ethnic Indians control African businesses.They are Chinese too.I know of a Chinese family from HK whose relatives stays in Nigeria for good.

There is another foreign diaspora that have been in Nigeria and parts of West Africa for a long time which are the Lebanese - mostly from South Lebanon. I don't know many typical singkies who are aware of how ethnic distinctions play a part in these countries but the Lebanese in Africa along with the Indians have generally entrenched themselves into the various businesses for a long time. I was introduced to one of these Lebs in London years ago and he not only considered himself a Nigerian, but ran an oil trading company and was married to Nigerian girl from the north - he knew no other culture.

Nigeria as a society is also segmented between Yoruba, Hausa, Ibo etc tribal divisions and coupled with religious differences has made it an explosive cocktail for chaos and civil exploitation. There is a very good reason that Nigerians are generally feared by other West African countries because of the sheer size of population and there very aggressive outlook to life. There are always opportunities to survive and prosper but it also depends on how adaptable one is to such environment and the extremities.

I have dealt with people from all walks of life including Nigerians - like in any country, there are good ones and a lot of poor and very aggressive ones. If your cousin is streetsmart and ballsy enough, then that is probably 50% of the battle sorted - but it also depends inn how versed he is in engaging with people of different ethnicities and understanding the nuances of their cultural and societal outlook. There are parts of London that most middle-class white or brown people would not go to because of the high concentration of African immigrants and the usual tabloid fodder about muggings/stabbings. From my experience it comes down to how you also carry yourself - people will try it on if they think they can get away with it. The trick is whether one has the type of personality where these types of characters are weary of you because they think you are dodgier than them (just because of the way you speak and carry yourself and things you speak about).

I had lunch yesterday with the Assistant GM and GM of Audi/Volkwagen from Iraq - the GM had spent 6.5 years in Sudan, then posted to Kenya and now in the Kurdish part of Iraq - the Asst GM was of Iraqi origin but told me he never thought he would in his wildest dreams he would ever work in Iraq after the fall of Saddam but it was an opportunity and he was willing to try it - he is married and has a young child but he moved to family there anyway - he also said companies as part of the strategy in Iraq set up in Arbil with a view to eventually moving to Baghdad in the future.

Both were very cheerful and optimistic individuals and were of the view that everyday living was just that - newspaper articles may paint the picture of a country in perpetual chaos but as is quite usual, inhabitants just get on with their lives. The only challenge would be around the time of Ashura when religious sentiments run high and the processions become targets - both do not live in gated compounds (the GM is an old English guy from Leeds) and said all the apprehension they had was overcome once they started living there.

The opportunities are always there in such god-forsaken landscapes and it is a question of degree. Just hope your cousin does his research and finds out what packages for equivalent Western expats for that role would be - there is no reason for him to receive any less just because he is singkie (other than for the lack of experience required which ought to be reflected in the basic pay and not the other components of the package being offered). He should also speak to some recruiters to get an idea of what to expect at a minimum and then negotiate from there. If they want him more than he needs them he should not settle for less.

Last edited:

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
. Just hope your cousin does his research and finds out .

Errr bro,not my cousin lah.

It's Unrepented who is seeking advise for his cousin lah.

You are right about Lebanese and further extended to the Palestinians too.They resemble very close to Jewish in business acumen.

Now,the other thing I noticed about ethnic Indians who are African nationals are that they are world apart from Indians in India.Compared to ethnic rich Indians in Singapore who are mostly traders;the African Indians whether in Nigeria or Kenya are successful industrialists.Whereas,excluding the MNCs,the entire cohorts of whether small or medium industries in Singapore or Malaysia are almost Chinese.

Myself been to number of war torn countries who were rebuilding.And taping this diaspora is a huge help.For example,my Teochew connections in Cambodia took me far and deep.

Last edited:

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
By the way the driver is the most important.

Yes. Intel agencies always target the personal driver of their targets too. Driver a useful source coz gets to listen to what is happening if boss is not discreet. Also, travelling pattern revealed.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I was in Cambodia years ago. I noticed no 7-11 there. My S'porean kawan there told me no person of sound mind would dare open a store 24/7 coz of safety or security consideration. Maybe we can use 7-11 stores or their non-existence as a gauge.

gatehousethetinkertailor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Paiseh lah bro - I had meant that to be directed to Unrepented.

The Indian diaspora in East Africa in particular have been there for a century now - tonically, very few Tamils and mostly of northern stock - that could explain why they also moved into industrialization as they tended to be closer to the Empire heartbeat than the southerners and strength in numbers and common purpose as part of the administration of these parts of the Empire played a role - the Amin madness crippled Uganda when he kicked them all out but entrepreneurial as these people are, they set up in the UK and have done well.

Curiously, these communities despite ethnically and religiously affiliated still distinguish amongst themselves - the ones in Africa at the moment refer to the "new" Indians (not of Punjabi/Sindhy/Gujerati) stock as "rockets"...and the ones in the UK call to the newbies as "Freshies"....

It appears that the Lebs in Africa and South America (Shakira Shakira!) are so many generations displaced that they are as Lebanese as our ethnic Singkie Chinese are Chinese.....and predominantly Shias from the south of Lebanon - the root Palestinian exodus is obvious and the Lebanese exploration probably on the back what happened post-WW1 and the fall of the Ottomans....

If I am right, during Apartheid in South Africa, the Lebs were regarded as "whites" hence were on the "white" side of that regime...

Last edited:

The Penetrator

Alfrescian
Loyal
GoldenDragon said:
Yes. Intel agencies always target the personal driver of their targets too. Driver a useful source coz gets to listen to what is happening if boss is not discreet. Also, travelling pattern revealed.

One old bird expat ever told me the same advice . He say once his team have to travel from the hotel to the plant in a SUV wvery day for 2 weeks . Trip is through very poor area and rough terrian .
On the 3 rd day the tire puncture and the company driver wanted to stop . My friend shouted at him to carry on until the highway . The driver say what if the rim become warp ? The angmoh say he will pay for it .
Then it turn out my friend instint is right , the local people rob foreigner expat by sabo the road and pounce on them when they stop and change tire . This happen was in Papua New Guinea .
There are many old bird business travellers who have good lesson to learn from .

Love Never Die

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
o the plant in a SUV wvery day for 2 weeks .

Love Never Die

Err bro,this story full of holes.Why?Because I yet to come across anyone traveling for 2 weeks continuously by road in Papua New Guinea...because the country hardly have much of a road system.And their terrain being rough is wholesomely an understatement.And even if anyone to travel continuously by road for two weeks from point A to point B he better be carrying all the diesel or petrol and be sleeping in his car...better off playing russian roulette..

The usual mode of transport for long distance is by air;charter or otherwise.The airfields are nothing but open clearings.Landings based on wind/sun/moon/mood and etc etc.Your best help are Christian missionaries who live among them.

Last edited:

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for all the inputs.

Hi Nice-Gook I think you may have misread what forummer penetrator meant;

He is talking about routine movement between point A to point B, over a period of two weeks.

Err bro,this story full of holes.Why?Because I yet to come across anyone traveling for 2 weeks continuously by road in Papua New Guinea...because the country hardly have much of a road system.And their terrain being rough is wholesomely an understatement.And even if anyone to travel continuously by road for two weeks from point A to point B he better be carrying all the diesel or petrol and be sleeping in his car...better off playing russian roulette..

The usual mode of transport for long distance is by air;charter or otherwise.The airfields are nothing but open clearings.Landings based on wind/sun/moon/mood and etc etc.Your best help are Christian missionaries who live among them.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's a subsidary of a foreign listed co. I am still helping him to check the background of this org. Don't want him suay suay emboiled in frauds and get his reputation tarnished.:(

Talking about burma, know one guy who need to finance one army battalion to help look after a mining site:o

I.......

There are very few countries in the world that MNCs will not authorise travel to their staff for purely safety reason. Nigeria is one. There is no country in Asia that faces that restriction. Burma for sanction reasons have limited access but it has nothing to do with safety. Burma is perfectly to visit and do business if you stomach contributing to the regime's coffers.