• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Niegria - working and living experience?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Your guard can carry gun and they usually do. By the way gated property cannot have locals staying in. By the way the driver is the most important.

Tks. Will highlight that to him, I gave him some input too, with the likes of going around in south africa. Btw, do you know if it is legal to carry guns in nigeria?:o

I had friends who told me that they used to keep a termoflask of hot water beside their bed for protection, at night there were people banging on their doors. Those were their stories in indonesia.

Merl Haggard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My cousin who is single was offered a post to work in Nigeria in the shipping industry, and he is unsure. His mother keep nagging not to go. Trying to help him find out any real life experiences, do and don'ts if any of you bros has that exprience. Or any opinion.:o Tks in advance.

In the Niger Delta, local Nigerians steal an equivalent of ten super tankers of crude oil a month from the major oil companies and refine this stolen crude to sell locally as well as to other countries in Africa.

In Nigeria you don't buy gasoline for cars from petrol kiosks, but from the smugglers.

The local authorities allow these smugglers to thrive in order to let them survive, so you can imagine the lawlessness there.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My cousin who is single was offered a post to work in Nigeria in the shipping industry, and he is unsure. His mother keep nagging not to go. Trying to help him find out any real life experiences, do and don'ts if any of you bros has that exprience. Or any opinion.:o Tks in advance.

what work in a country full of crooks? where you get con 24/7, crazy to even consider. Sinkies are too naive to work there, kena hammer upside down.

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
what work in a country full of crooks? where you get con 24/7, crazy to even consider. Sinkies are too naive to work there, kena hammer upside down.

The cowardice of Sinkies should stand them in good stead in violent, crime-ridden countries. When the Nigerian thief whips out a knife, expect the useless, NS-trained Singaporean to piss in his pants, kneel down and offer a blow job and his wallet in return for his safety. After all, subservience is part of our superior Asian values. Look at how orderly and efficiently we queue up and suck dicks, unlike those rebellious, bo tua bo suay ang mohs in messy Western countries who refuse to go down without a fight. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
My objective is to find out more about the rules and processes for survival amidst the chaos, or have a better understanding to work out one.:smile:

In the Niger Delta, local Nigerians steal an equivalent of ten super tankers of crude oil a month from the major oil companies and refine this stolen crude to sell locally as well as to other countries in Africa.

In Nigeria you don't buy gasoline for cars from petrol kiosks, but from the smugglers.

The local authorities allow these smugglers to thrive in order to let them survive, so you can imagine the lawlessness there.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Which country got no crooks one:o Some con you nicely and you still say thank you, while others can be outright brazen.

chuckyworld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Is he the lone wolf type, able to take care of himself and streetwise, and if able to connect with the local boss and with shipping tie route that ply to Europe you would make good mulla.

Don't be arrogant or you will just disappear, the world is your oyster but pick with care.....:smile::smile::smile:

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yah, he can hunt alone, or hunt in a pack if required.:p He can joke joke his way out of a tight situation, and not arrogant.:o

Is he the lone wolf type, able to take care of himself and streetwise, and if able to connect with the local boss and with shipping tie route that ply to Europe you would make good mulla.

Don't be arrogant or you will just disappear, the world is your oyster but pick with care.....:smile::smile::smile:

chuckyworld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He should go and experience it, Wish him all the best, if he make the most of it he should be able to retire early.....:smile::smile::smile:.

Did West Africa, enjoyable experience in the 70's.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can you share abit more:confused:

Like, eating, accomodation, flying, moving around the locale, health and sanitary issues (like prc dump soiled toilet paper in waste paper basket and not flushed becasue it will choke the drainage etc.), safety (what to lookout for), con jobs, postage issues, customs etc.

Anymore info will be helpful. Tks in advance.

He should go and experience it, Wish him all the best, if he make the most of it he should be able to retire early.....:smile::smile::smile:.

Did West Africa, enjoyable experience in the 70's.

chuckyworld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Any time you go to 3rd world country, health and Sanitary is the biggest issue,i can't really tell you much unless it has not change for the last 30+ to 40 years.

When i was there, i would say it is 10 time worse than present day India slum, mugging shooting is a daily thingy, it can happen any where in the world, seeing dead bodies with bullets holes floating on the river is nothing unusal, as Lagos Apa Apa is known as the Capital of Pirates, during that period they not only rob you they shoot you after robbing you ( if he is able to make real local connection it is easy to get a real piece just for your safety )

Con, Nigeria are famous for conning, don't be arrogant but be assertive it will put you in good standing with the local gangs

Last edited:

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

bro , since your cousin is single ...your cousin should go out and try new things and gain life experiences . be it good or bad , at least he go out of singapore and see the world ..just my 2 cents .

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
Any time you go to 3rd world country, health and Sanitary is the biggest issue,i can't really tell you much unless it has not change for the last 30+ to 40 years.

Been to some of the most godforsaken places on this earth.But not on a long stay....never more than a couple of months on any one location.Hence my experience may not suit to advise those taking up contract jobs on 2 to 3 years.

You are right if anyone is too choosy on health and sanitation than one should avoid 3rd world countries.Since even their best hotels hires staff coming from their slums.Most importantly your mind set matters.If one is constantly comparing how things are back at home than you are a misfit anywhere.

My exposure is limited in Africa but a lot more in Asia.My biggest challenge was Papua new Guinea.But even than rural and jungle living is not the same as city living.But Unrepentedis talking about Nigeria and living in Lagos city.Since logistics in shipping industry is based on a major local port.Hence,all that is said and heard about a country usually does not applies.The biggest nuisance in any 3rd world country city living is robbery in your very home.The rest like sanitation,corruption and lack of local work ethics can be managed...or you may get use to it.It's just a matter of time.

If I were unrepented cousin ,I would take the job with an exit clause in the contract.Because he who dares wins.The opportunity that lies cannot be foreseen.And it is usually in places like this where others fear to go where we can make a mark.Besides,if the locals are that hard working why do they need us for?Just as Malaya and Indonesia was in the past.

Last edited:

loneshark

Alfrescian
Loyal
If he is single, go see the world and be richer for the experience. Don't wait until married with children, then you have a whole host of other considerations - wife wellbeing, kid's schooling, etc.

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
Which country got no crooks one:o Some con you nicely and you still say thank you, while others can be outright brazen.

Don't take hearsay and opinions too seriously.Myself often found the ground zero a lot different.Nothing like experiencing it yourself.There is no substitute for that.

As an example,I was once going to a remote village in Indonesia.On my local flight i was reading the paper which had a news about a disease outbreak causing numerous death--in the area where I am heading to.On the site just 10 miles away from where the deaths occurred the life was quite normal and the village chief and elders are totally ignorant about what is a national news.

Last edited:

geylangchickenloyangduck

Alfrescian
Loyal
nah beh...go with open mind...if the paycheck is sufficiently large, why not?

have a fat insurance policy so that next of kin eg: wife / children will be well covered.

as all places overseas (even in Singapore) - be alert / street smart and stay out trouble.

Of cse if you flaunt your wealth and act Sinkie, u r asking for it.

there are sinkies who manage to survive in crime rampant areas - eg: S Africa - rule of thumb is always to stay alert & be cautious.

have a driver / guard & change them every 6 months or so. And change your route everytime to avoid being shadowed.

get a armed guard / or have a firearm if possible. If he is NS trained, he shld know how to handle a firearm. Worse come worse, take the bullet yourself to avoid the torture...

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
get a armed guard / or have a firearm if possible.

I avoid carrying arms or even armed guards---unless you have to go through a militia controlled territory by a convoy of armed personals.

The reason being,being armed itself attract attention.Secondly many NS trained Sinkies are indoctrinated that you can subdue your enemy by show of superior force.This does not work in street-fights.If you ever at all draw your gun than be prepared to fire.An option many of us will avoid.The problem is that if you draw and do not fire than you would be fired at.

Firing an arm in a foreign land opens you to a lot of abuse by local authorities.They will skimp you for every cents you got.

I rather arm myself with a smile and carry the most popular cigarette of that country;even though I don't smoke.Cigarettes saved my life once.

Last edited:

geylangchickenloyangduck

Alfrescian
Loyal
I avoid carrying arms or even armed guards---unless you have to go through a militia controlled territory by a convoy of armed personals.

The reason being,being armed itself attract attention.Secondly many NS trained Sinkies are indoctrinated that you can subdue your enemy by show of superior force.This does not work in street-fights.If you ever at all draw your gun than be prepared to fire.An option many of us will avoid.The problem is that if you draw and do not fire than you would be fired at.

Firing an arm in a foreign land opens you to a lot of abuse by local authorities.They will skimp you for every cents you got.

I rather arm myself with a smile and carry the most popular cigarette of that country;even though I don't smoke.Cigarettes saved my life once.

nah beh...u may be right.

ciggys and US dollars - keep about 100 - 200.

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
there are always pros and cons.
Nigeria might be a dangerous country. Africa is developing, investment going in. gain exposure and experience help a lot in a career path.
weight the pros and cons. if not worth, den forsake the idea.