• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Niegria - working and living experience?

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
My cousin who is single was offered a post to work in Nigeria in the shipping industry, and he is unsure. His mother keep nagging not to go. Trying to help him find out any real life experiences, do and don'ts if any of you bros has that exprience. Or any opinion.:o Tks in advance.

wufucheng

Alfrescian
Loyal
My cousin who is single was offered a post to work in Nigeria in the shipping industry, and he is unsure. His mother keep nagging not to go. Trying to help him find out any real life experiences, do and don'ts if any of you bros has that exprience. Or any opinion.:o Tks in advance.

I hv some China Workers who worked there b4, --> very dangerous

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Your cousin in the Marine Industry? Nigeria is the largest oil producer in Africa.. Money can be good too for a job project there..

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tks. But not in oil and gas, nor marine, but shipping logistics. Btw, what do you mean dangerous, can you elaborate abit:confused:

Your cousin in the Marine Industry? Nigeria is the largest oil producer in Africa.. Money can be good too for a job project there..

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Tks. But not in oil and gas, nor marine, but shipping logistics. Btw, what do you mean dangerous, can you elaborate abit:confused:

It was the Bro Wufucheng who mentioned it was bit dangerous over there.. Kinda agree with him..There's this long standing conflict in the Niger Delta between the natives and the big oil companies doin bizness there.. And of course the uncertain political climate in Nigeria between the Christians and the Muslims there.. In some parts of Nigeria, they implemented Shariah laws..

The Penetrator

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have a colleague post to Africa before . He say crime is high , people are stupid and lazy . If your relative can take the pace then good . Dont expect them to work like Asian . Also , cannot visit pros . Many AIDS and HIV cases there . If can tahan 3 years , he can come home and choot a condo .

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Was discussing with my cousin that if you get stationed there, then we may be able to explore some small retail biz there. But I don't want to push him there if really really dangerous, like things we can't handle. We the advantureous, dirty eat, dirty grow up, and banna ah beng blood type too. So really need to know abit about the specific areas like living conditions, probability of kenna kidnap etc.

It was the Bro Wufucheng who mentioned it was bit dangerous over there.. Kinda agree with him..There's this long standing conflict in the Niger Delta between the natives and the big oil companies doin bizness there.. And of course the uncertain political climate in Nigeria between the Christians and the Muslims there.. In some parts of Nigeria, they implemented Shariah laws..

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Unless your cousin is taking up an expat post with all the usual protection , do not take it. The country has huge potential and rich resources but the local crime and the corruption within the Govt is beyond comparison. This is what an expat is provided by an MNC. Gated property with electric fence in decent neighbourhood with fellow expats. Car and driver who is security trained.

The saddest part is the local staff tip off the crime gangs about foreign staff's wealth, salary including residential and family details. Very difficult.

Not worth it.

He should ask the company to fly him there to consider before committing.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have a colleague post to Africa before . He say crime is high , people are stupid and lazy . If your relative can take the pace then good . Dont expect them to work like Asian . Also , cannot visit pros . Many AIDS and HIV cases there . If can tahan 3 years , he can come home and choot a condo .

many africans have complained of mistreatment by china workers. I suppose it's cos they could not keep up with the chinese standards of hard work. Chinese businesses do get discriminated there.

Anyway many europeans colonized african countries in the earlier centuries. That's how they got rich.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tks. I think he knows the work environment in third world countries. But also concerned with health and safety.

He not even thinking of condo, but hdb only, and some saving for old age if everything goes smoothly.:o But if lucky, can find other opportunties there, then migrant elsewhere also.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
I got another relative in O&G in latin america. The workers just go on strike and he has to stay home and not go office or job site.

Was thinking of getting difficult to get stuff for the african rich and middle class lah....just a thought only. Not to the extend of setting up shop.

many africans have complained of mistreatment by china workers. I suppose it's cos they could not keep up with the chinese standards of hard work. Chinese businesses do get discriminated there.

Anyway many europeans colonized african countries in the earlier centuries. That's how they got rich.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tks. Will highlight that to him, I gave him some input too, with the likes of going around in south africa. Btw, do you know if it is legal to carry guns in nigeria?:o

I had friends who told me that they used to keep a termoflask of hot water beside their bed for protection, at night there were people banging on their doors. Those were their stories in indonesia.

Unless your cousin is taking up an expat post with all the usual protection , do not take it. The country has huge potential and rich resources but the local crime and the corruption within the Govt is beyond comparison. This is what an expat is provided by an MNC. Gated property with electric fence in decent neighbourhood with fellow expats. Car and driver who is security trained.

The saddest part is the local staff tip off the crime gangs about foreign staff's wealth, salary including residential and family details. Very difficult.

Not worth it.

He should ask the company to fly him there to consider before committing.

The Penetrator

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tks. I think he knows the work environment in third world countries. But also concerned with health and safety.

He not even thinking of condo, but hdb only, and some saving for old age if everything goes smoothly.:o But if lucky, can find other opportunties there, then migrant elsewhere also.
Advise him to work out the sums . Package must be sibeh good . And there must be a deadline , like 2 years or 3 year then come back . This way he will not go mad . And please don 't dream about migrating there before set foot there once ! National Geography Channel is nice to watch on televisions but Third world country is very harsh life . I can tell you becoz I just retuen from one !

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
He ok one, harsh neber mind. He was the kampong type, ever use well water to cook rice and karoesene lamps.:o But he plan to earn enough and migrate to oz, canada, ect. if the situation in sinkieland turns worse.....and get his cpf out. Hopefully he and I can do that trasition about the same time.

I did advise him on the home leave frequency and such. But he plans to stay in the job for as long as possible if ok. He said come back singapore also jiak lat.:o

Advise him to work out the sums . Package must be sibeh good . And there must be a deadline , like 2 years or 3 year then come back . This way he will not go mad . And please don 't dream about migrating there before set foot there once ! National Geography Channel is nice to watch on televisions but Third world country is very harsh life . I can tell you becoz I just retuen from one !

The Penetrator

Alfrescian
Loyal
He ok one, harsh neber mind. He was the kampong type, ever use well water to cook rice and karoesene lamps.:o But he plan to earn enough and migrate to oz, canada, ect. if the situation in sinkieland turns worse.....and get his cpf out. Hopefully he and I can do that trasition about the same time.

I did advise him on the home leave frequency and such. But he plans to stay in the job for as long as possible if ok. He said come back singapore also jiak lat.:o
OK good if he is the adventure type . But must bear in mind a posting is not field camp . I just come back from a country where drink water also scared laosai , mosquito bite can become malaria , go out might get kidnap . On top of this you must deliver result to your bosses . I encourage young Singaporeans to travel but just do not have a romantic view of a hazardous posting . All the best to him !