• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

My loyalty is first and foremost, to the people of Singapore. It has always been so.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Re: My loyalty is first and foremost, to the people of Singapore. It has always been

It is largely a ceremonial appointment and the "powers" accorded to the president is so limited, that should he decide not to cooperate in those matters where he has some discretion, that will be the end of him. I think we all know this but living in denial that in reality, the president is powerless. OTC refused to be part of this and therefore did not contest for a second term.

If the President does not co-operate, than Parliament has to come up with some reasons to impeach him and remove him from office. Since people like OTC are relatively clean, they would have had to manufacture evidence against him ala Devan Nair. It would still be a very messy and public dispute and with the current sentiments, there is no way that the PAP will come out smelling like roses. Either way, they lose.

nomorelisa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: My loyalty is first and foremost, to the people of Singapore. It has always been

What you say is inaccurate. Only the PAP tru the shit times wants you to think the role is "largely a ceremonial appointment". No law can be passed until the President has signed it. Think on that for a while. All these laws about Little India and other laws designed to whack oppos, etc. cannot go into effect without the president's signature. Likewise, he also signs the budget. If he does not like how little money is spend on healthcare, he can refuse to sign it and ask the parliament to submit a revised budget. Not to mention, he can commute any sentence or reprieve any death penalties. These are very important powers. People think that its a ceremonial position because in the past, they have always place complaint Presidents in position, (Like Ben SHeares, who had no political ambition), or Devan Nair (a long time PAP loyalist who could be counted on to pass whatever the PAP wants), and only in the last decade or more when they gave more power to the Presidency, they decide to give it to familee members like Tony Tan and Wee Kim Wee. Imagine, Tony Tan is such a rich and powerful banker, they ask him to be the President and give up his position in OCBC for a "ceremonial appointment?". No, this position of Presidency is powerful and it cannot be entrusted to an outsider.

Not to belabour your points, but "No, this position of Presidency is powerful and it cannot be entrusted to an outsider" prove that TPTB wishes to appoint only those that have their utmost trust. Betray them at your own risk and go against their will is inviting problems to the incumbent including relatives and loss of personal assets.

Last edited:

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal

Whoaaaa, which Sam are you? It seems I have been fighting with your evil twin brother in the earlier posts.

No lah!! Same Sam. He got split personality!! Like Dr Jekly and Hyde!!

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

Whoaaaa, which Sam are you? It seems I have been fighting with your evil twin brother in the earlier posts.

If I agree with something you say, I'll say so and add to your points. If I disagree, I'll say so in no uncertain terms.

You sound like an intelligent guy. Surely you don't subscribe to the GW Bush doctrine of "you're either for us or against us". Life is never black and white. There is always overlapping common ground.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

... His big claim to fame was that he dared to ask for the national accounting and was told it would take 56 years to get it. So what? If he truly cares, there are many ways to get the figures. If someone comes to you and tells u it will take 56 man years to get the accounting done, you tell them to hire 56 accountants and get it done in 1 year. Better still, hire 112 accountants and get it done in 6 months. The figures are all there, its a matter of compilation. He claims they used delaying tactics on him, and tried to discourage him. U know the solution to that? The next budget that the govt. submits, don't sign it. Any law that the PAP wants to pass including this Privy Council crap, don't sign it. What are they going to do to him? Frame him by calling him an alchoholic and wife beater? ...
was quite disappointed wif his non follow up den ... if he had really wanted, he cud get his own accountants n pay dem wif his prez salary ...

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

No lah!! Same Sam. He got split personality!! Like Dr Jekly and Hyde!!

Let me ask you this... is there ANY PAP policy or doctrine that you endorse?

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Not to belabour your points, but "No, this position of Presidency is powerful and it cannot be entrusted to an outsider" prove that TPTB wishes to appoint only those that have their utmost trust. Betray them at your own risk and go against their will is inviting problems to the incumbent including relatives and loss of personal assets.

That is the whole point. If he went against them, pointed out all their injustice and corruption and conflicts of interest, and they in turn destroyed his assets and his life (realise that he had cancer and was dying, and his wife is already dead, hence their ability to hurt him was limited), people would say that yes, he truly was a hero of the people.

Last edited:

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

was quite disappointed wif his non follow up den ... if he had really wanted, he cud get his own accountants n pay dem wif his prez salary ...

I agree with that. He can easily hire independent auditors, and even as a president, he has a huge budget for the upkeep of his office and what not. However, what he said was that he was stymied by the bureaccracy i.e. PAP to get access to the information. So, the next step for him is to stop signing laws and budgets. Play hard ball with them, tit for tat. Give me complete access and get me the report in 3 months, or else, I will not sign the next govt budget until the ministers remove their million dollar salaries. See what the PAP does.

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I am sick and tired of all these losers here fawning over fucking Ong Teng Cheong. This fucker started out as a PAP grass roots leader in Seletar. Do you know what that means? He was a por lumpar PAP cocksucker go around and encourage everyone to vote for the PAP, and the despot Lee Con You. U think he could have been an MP, and than NTUC SEc General without being a dyed the wool PAP fanatic? What did he do in 6 years as President? He approved the abolishment of appeals to the Privy council in London. Do you know what that means? It means that the PAP has a free unlimited card to fuck anyone without them having to run to London to get a real justice. He passed every single sick law that came along, and as DPM, kept dumb, blind, and mute while his fellow cabinet ministers sued, bankrupt and terrorise the oppositions. This fucker is supposed to be big into protecting union workers against unfair management, but he never protected singaporeans against unfair PAP policies.

His big claim to fame was that he dared to ask for the national accounting and was told it would take 56 years to get it. So what? If he truly cares, there are many ways to get the figures. If someone comes to you and tells u it will take 56 man years to get the accounting done, you tell them to hire 56 accountants and get it done in 1 year. Better still, hire 112 accountants and get it done in 6 months. The figures are all there, its a matter of compilation. He claims they used delaying tactics on him, and tried to discourage him. U know the solution to that? The next budget that the govt. submits, don't sign it. Any law that the PAP wants to pass including this Privy Council crap, don't sign it. What are they going to do to him? Frame him by calling him an alchoholic and wife beater?

This bastard knows so many skeletons in the PAP closet, let them come and whack him, see what happens to them. He had cancer already. And he was going to die. Instead of exposing the PAP and Lee and cronies, he quietly take the govt. pension and crawls into a hole and wait for death. I don;t see him as any great hero at all.

Thanks for the enlightenment, brudder.