• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

My Life (Malay) True Story.

SGMalay

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear fellow Singaporeans,

I've been visiting this site for quite sometimes as guest since early this year. I enjoyed reading most of the posting and have gained meaningful insight story from some of the member who has been posting regularly.

I thought it might be a good idea to share you wth my true life story about being a Malay living among the most chinese majority in Singapore.

My intention is to share what I have been going through during the time I was looking for job, and how miserable I am to take so long to get a decent job.

Although today, my life has improves alot working with non-chinese boss.

I just hope the chinese now can see themselves what is going on that is already happening in the job competition between the chinese and foreigner is as the same as me at that time while I was looking for a job.

Back in year 2000, I (malay) and my two (chinese) friends was looking for job in the same field, it took me near 6 months to get a job, while my two chinese friends got a job less than 1 month.

I felt so sad (cried silently) at the sametime I also feel so disgusted whenever job advert would publish SPEAK CHINESE preferred, I force myself to just apply the job but never had a chance at all.

Before I got a job, I went for 1 job interview (different company) and the interviewer is chinese ask me if I can speak mandarin? Of course I said "No", then he told me that this position need to speak chinese.

I ask him, "Do the bosses speak mandarin too?", He replied, "Yes", So I ask him a final question, how about expatriate "White" bosses?", He stunned and kept mum for awhile.

In the end, I thank him for this "deliberate making fun of me" interview and his time.

After few months later, a job opportunity break-through in my email for interview.

After attended the interview for the 2nd times, finally a job offered, interviewed by american boss and his FC chinese.

American boss is not stingy about pay, so long the person fits well, he do not mind to pay slightly above market rate which I was offered $2700 per month.

I have been working for about 10 years now, reporting to him directly and has been promoted twice from Executive - Manager position. I've work hard to prove my worthy and to appreciate him for giving me a chance to work with and for him.

I also knew that some of my chinese colleagues are not very happy with my promotion and at times making things difficult for me, but I count myself lucky to have an understanding and objective american boss towards the problems I am facing.

Soon after, I begin to open up 2 jobs vacancy, I interviewed not just the malay, but to chinese and indian as well. After much consideration, I propose the suitable candidate to my boss for his approval.

But my boss said, "you are a manager, you dont need me for this, it is your call, I have already given a go-ahead for the recruitment and budget, and it is your responsibility to ensure your department continue to be in operational",

In the end, I employ 1 chinese and 1 indian, and for the unfortunate malay candidate,I wrote an email to him and explain about his unsuccessful due to his lack of experiences, I also seek his permission to keep his resume for suitable opening job position in the near future.

I do not want to become like chinese who failed to not act fairly in the job employment.

I kept wondering, why must there be discrimination? This is Singapore, aren't we suppose to be ONE Singaporean?

To think that this land belongs to the native Malay, yet we have been discriminated in our own land.

Lee Kuan Yew have failed to fulfill the rights for malay, in the presence of United Nation to abide by the agreement during separation agreements.

Even so, many malays like me did not or even ever ask for special treatment, in fact, we welcome fair and equal opportunity for all singaporean regardless of race, all thanks to the national service, many of us have successfully put aside our culture differences through making new friends.

Along the way, we learn to respect each other believes, we also sensitively not to create friction among us about religion, yet we happily to allow some religion topic exchanges just for our own personal interest or knowledge purposes.

To-date, I am very grateful to some Chinese and Indian from my schoolmate, national service, reservist and some colleagues who continue to be my friends for more than a decade.

Lastly, it still hurts me deeply to see such discrimination to continue to exist in this tiny island, Why must my fellow singaporean chinese create race discrimination in the job opportunity?

I apologize for any grammar errors if any, and for being long-winded.

Thank you again for your precious time and may you have a great evening.

Warmest regards,

Malay-Singaporean

Last edited:

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sinkapor has severe discrimination problem with regards to employment. there is no law against those who practise discrimination especially with regards to age and race.

So boss can play hanky panky with you.

Same problem happening in Malaysia with that bumiputra bullshits.

Many Chinese and Indians are discriminated in work and education too!

Discrimination happens because we are all sinners!

You want to stop discrimination? There must be laws in place like in developed countries!

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
Every time a minority - be it Indian or Malay fails in something - it easy to play the racial discrimination card. It's just like a woman who fails to get a job as a bus driver, she will blame it on the gender factor. This is true not only in Singapore, but also in other parts of the world. In Malaysia, it's the Chinese who have this perception.

I have seen hundreds and hundreds of Malays and Indians in government departments working as nurses, teachers, police, admin staff - discrimination? Mana?

If a non-Malay fails to get the job of a pizza delivery personnel, will he blame it on his race or perhaps his lack of a Class 2 Riding licence or attitude problem?

I notice that just two threads earlier, we have lots of Indians thonging the Istana. I wonder whether there is any discrimination against Chinese or Malay attending the Indian festivity hosted by an Indian president in Chinese-majority Singapore. http://www.sammyboy.com/showthread.php?t=40945

Last edited:

SamuelStalin

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wonder whether there is any discrimination against Chinese or Malay attending the Indian festivity hosted by an Indian president in Chinese-majority Singapore. http://www.sammyboy.com/showthread.php?t=40945

Oh I was visiting a friend in his neighborhood, and when we were curious and looked at the Indians and their closing Deepavali celebration at the sheltered space a couple of the dark ugly old cunts with their families stared at us contemptuously.

Maybe because we aren't Malay or Indian. Most unforgettable and hilarious experience considering the low value of those old, ugly, stupid and worthless swines and sows (female for pigs).

Right after looking at these demonstrative filth I asked my friend if the Guardian Pharmacy at the terminal sells any eye diggers and he laughed and told me to just forget about these arrogant failures and garbage with nothing to prove for their imaginary self-worth. True that, true that.

And it dawned on me that they would be given more by the upper-caste lesser darks (paler but still a bit dark) rubbish if they were doing what they do back in India.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
I try to empathize with SGMalay however I also wish to share an experience witih everyone here.

I am of Chinese race and used to be a senior Manager in and American company but managed by a local Chinese race boss. Once we required a new technician to repair tools for customers who bought our tools. We advertised in ST and there were several respondents which I was responsible to interview and finally hire. There were Chinese, Indians and Malays who applied for the job. I finally decided to hire a young Malay as I found him to be most qualified and suitable. I also decided to pay him more than his expected salary but did mentioned to him we cannot allow him to stop his work to pray several times a day. However before I informed him of my decision I sounded it out to my boss. He warned me about hiring Malays but nevertheless gave me the freehand on this matter. I thought it was just distasteful stereotyping.

The candidate came to work for 2 days then did not turn up on the 3rd day. I decided to call him but he did not pick up my calls. So I decided to call his home and his dad picked up the call and told me that his son is not at home. told his dad that he did not turn up for work but the dad asked me if I had offered his son a job. It shows his father did not even know his son was working for 2 days. Anyway I told his dad to get his son to call me back. I did not hear from him after that.

I hate to day this but I guess my ex-boss was not stereotyping after all. I will a much more cautious hiring Malays in future.

ps07857

Alfrescian
Loyal
I try to empathize with SGMalay however I also wish to share an experience witih everyone here.

I am of Chinese race and used to be a senior Manager in and American company but managed by a local Chinese race boss. Once we required a new technician to repair tools for customers who bought our tools. We advertised in ST and there were several respondents which I was responsible to interview and finally hire. There were Chinese, Indians and Malays who applied for the job. I finally decided to hire a young Malay as I found him to be most qualified and suitable. I also decided to pay him more than his expected salary but did mentioned to him we cannot allow him to stop his work to pray several times a day. However before I informed him of my decision I sounded it out to my boss. He warned me about hiring Malays but nevertheless gave me the freehand on this matter. I thought it was just distasteful stereotyping.

The candidate came to work for 2 days then did not turn up on the 3rd day. I decided to call him but he did not pick up my calls. So I decided to call his home and his dad picked up the call and told me that his son is not at home. told his dad that he did not turn up for work but the dad asked me if I had offered his son a job. It shows his father did not even know his son was working for 2 days. Anyway I told his dad to get his son to call me back. I did not hear from him after that.

I hate to day this but I guess my ex-boss was not stereotyping after all. I will a much more cautious hiring Malays in future.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for your sharing but your story doesn't really say why the Malay bro didn't show up for work after that. The story could have been true for ANY race.... chinese, malay, indian or even eurasian..... Did the Malay bro go on a pilgrimage to Mecca or something along that lines? Is that why he didn't show up? your story only shows the irresponsibility of the Malay bro and I think you are steoretyping too quickly and easily because one of semi-bad experience. Anyways, thanks for your sharing again. :wink:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Topics such as this are never easy and do appreciate you sharing this in such a manner. It will raise debate and discussions and it will open the minds of some but not of others. But raising this very important in bringing together sadly diverse groups which 4 decades ago were not as diverse.

I thought it might be a good idea to share you wth my true life story about being a Malay living among the most chinese majority in Singapore.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Could I make a suggestion? Try your level best to keep ties with friends and acquaintences of others races that you have made over the years. Its very important not to withdraw. Unfortunately I have seen this in amongst Malays who hold sr posts or who have done well, partly due to pressure from the community and partly due to burden of carrying one's community's aspirations and foibles.

I have maintained very close ties and I mean very close ties etc. It was not intentional at first but I realised that our society was being divided due to various policies and I was getting erroneous feedback.

To-date, I am very grateful to some Chinese and Indian from my schoolmate, national service, reservist and some colleagues who continue to be my friends for more than a decade.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The majority in any country will have little clue about discrimination until they migrate. Suddenly they seem to see it everywhere - even when it does not exist.

Look at Malaysia where the roles are reversed. The ones who carry the flag are those who have little education and basically clueless.

Every time a minority - be it Indian or Malay fails in something - it easy to play the racial discrimination card. It's just like a woman who fails to get a job as a bus driver, she will blame it on the gender factor. This is true not only in Singapore, but also in other parts of the world. In Malaysia, it's the Chinese who have this perception.

I have seen hundreds and hundreds of Malays and Indians in government departments working as nurses, teachers, police, admin staff - discrimination? Mana?

If a non-Malay fails to get the job of a pizza delivery personnel, will he blame it on his race or perhaps his lack of a Class 2 Riding licence or attitude problem?

I notice that just two threads earlier, we have lots of Indians thonging the Istana. I wonder whether there is any discrimination against Chinese or Malay attending the Indian festivity hosted by an Indian president in Chinese-majority Singapore. http://www.sammyboy.com/showthread.php?t=40945

Asychee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear fellow Singaporeans,

I've been visiting this site for quite sometimes as guest since early this year. I enjoyed reading most of the posting and have gained meaningful insight story from some of the member who has been posting regularly.

My intention is to share what I have been going through during the time I was looking for job, and how miserable I am to take so long to get a decent job.

I just hope the chinese now can see themselves what is going on that is already happening in the job competition between the chinese and foreigner is as the same as me at that time while I was looking for a job.

Back in year 2000, I (malay) and my two (chinese) friends was looking for job in the same field, it took me near 6 months to get a job, while my two chinese friends got a job less than 1 month.

I felt so sad (cried silently) at the sametime I also feel so disgusted whenever job advert would publish SPEAK CHINESE preferred, I force myself to just apply the job but never had a chance at all.

Before I got a job, I went for 1 job interview (different company) and the interviewer is chinese ask me if I can speak mandarin? Of course I said "No", then he told me that this position need to speak chinese.

I ask him, "Do the bosses speak mandarin too?", He replied, "Yes", So I ask him a final question, how about expatriate "White" bosses?", He stunned and kept mum for awhile.

In the end, I thank him for this "deliberate making fun of me" interview and his time.

After few months later, a job opportunity break-through in my email for interview.

After attended the interview for the 2nd times, finally a job offered, interviewed by american boss and his FC chinese.

American boss is not stingy about pay, so long the person fits well, he do not mind to pay slightly above market rate which I was offered $2700 per month.

I have been working for about 10 years now, reporting to him directly and has been promoted twice from Executive - Manager position. I've work hard to prove my worthy and to appreciate him for giving me a chance to work with and for him.

I also knew that some of my chinese colleagues are not very happy with my promotion and at times making things difficult for me, but I count myself lucky to have an understanding and objective american boss towards the problems I am facing.

Soon after, I begin to open up 2 jobs vacancy, I interviewed not just the malay, but to chinese and indian as well. After much consideration, I propose the suitable candidate to my boss for his approval.

But my boss said, "you are a manager, you dont need me for this, it is your call, I have already given a go-ahead for the recruitment and budget, and it is your responsibility to ensure your department continue to be in operational",

In the end, I employ 1 chinese and 1 indian, and for the unfortunate malay candidate,I wrote an email to him and explain about his unsuccessful due to his lack of experiences, I also seek his permission to keep his resume for suitable opening job position in the near future.

I do not want to become like chinese who failed to not act fairly in the job employment.

I kept wondering, why must there be discrimination? This is Singapore, aren't we suppose to be ONE Singaporean?

To think that this land belongs to the native Malay, yet we have been discriminated in our own land.

Lee Kuan Yew have failed to fulfill the rights for malay, in the presence of United Nation to abide by the agreement during separation agreements.

Even so, many malays like me did not or even ever ask for special treatment, in fact, we welcome fair and equal opportunity for all singaporean regardless of race, all thanks to the national service, many of us have successfully put aside our culture differences through making new friends.

Along the way, we learn to respect each other believes, we also sensitively not to create friction among us about religion, yet we happily to allow some religion topic exchanges just for our own personal interest or knowledge purposes.

Lastly, it still hurts me deeply to see such discrimination to continue to exist in this tiny island, Why must my fellow singaporean chinese create race discrimination in the job opportunity?

I apologize for any grammar errors if any, and for being long-winded.

Thank you again for your precious time and may you have a great evening.

Warmest regards,

Malay-Singaporean

Abang,

It has nothing to do with race or religion, i am a chinese "O" level. When i enter into NS, i was selected for NAVY, i was lucky to travel to a few places. After NS, i worked overseas in Philippines, Thailand, Malaysia, Brunei, Australia, and flew around a few countries. I have come to this theory:

a. The world is make up of many many different sandboxes. The rules and responsibilities are different.
b. In each country, there are different sandboxes (eg. races). Even within the same industry, the different companies competing are like different sandboxes.
c. Drop the idea of races, religion and etc. - look at it from the view of different sand boxes. Everywhere in the world, you will meet, strong and weak, smart and stupid, hard working and lazy. If you define it clearly, there is several types of people you will meet. The solution just learn how to deal with them.
d. Sg is a sandbox that i cannot see my self achieving the vision that i want so i got out of this sandbox to another sandbox - Canada. Having said that, at different age, different sand boxes is suitable for you or your circumstances. I position my kids to have 3 nationality therefore - if ever, at different stages of their life in which ever sandbox. They find their treasure and fun - so be it.
e. In fact, different sandbox will label you differently, sg - I was labelled like a worker ant. Sucess was defined as to be working in a factory. Marry a M'sian girl (primary education - the best), have 2 kids, staying in a 3 room flat and eventually retire on my CPF and my kids will repeat the cycle. Even the girls you try to date will measure you like that.
f. When i got a job working for the Sultan of Brunei, I was told by everybody not to take it. They even went to the extent to research in the library to frighten me into staying in the sg sandbox and live in that so called "good life".
g. So the path forward my friend, i suggest - stop blaming anybody or expect anybody to give you special privilege. Go look closely at the rules of the sandbox:wink:. You will find the sucess you want regardless of the races, religion or even education level.

Big Sexy

Super Moderator
SuperMod
mate.. don't tar us all with the same brush
i dont practice discrimination and i have more malay/indians employees than chinese employees. These are professionals i am talking about....:wink:

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal
Soon, all Singaporeans will be uniformly discriminated by bosses who just want the cheapest labour. (i.e. PRCs and others).

Big Sexy

Super Moderator
SuperMod
you are wrong mate... i had very bad experience with employing those PRCs

i have 3 and i would hang 2 of them if it was not criminal to do that...
to be fair the other one was good.

Soon, all Singaporeans will be uniformly discriminated by bosses who just want the cheapest labour. (i.e. PRCs and others).

kulgai

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many years when it was still fashionable to hire office boys, we had one in our office (a malay). On avarage, he worked 3 to 4 days a week. Every now and then, he would simply not turn up for work. Common reasons given: not feeling well, feeling tired, don't understand why this morning couldn't wake up, forgot have to work, forgot to set alarm, don't know what happened. It is examples like this that give malays a bad name.
Having said that, I have also come across malays with exemplary attitudes. Unfortunately, the black sheeps far outnumber the good ones. It is due to this reason that people stereotype. Stereotyping doesn't arise from nowhere.
I applaud the TS for having worked his way up. Along the way, I'm sure he faced some discrimination. That is inevitable. Howver, with perseverence and consistency you will succeed. Regretably, the majority of malays tend to have a defeatist attitude and thats what's holding them back.
The minorities in other countries face similar discrimination. For the minorities, you just have to work hard and prove yourself because nobody owes you a living. At the end of the day, you owe it to yourself to make things happen. Good Luck!

wendypoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Malay Singaporean

I feel for you in the frustations you had. This is also the reason why the Malays are given special privileges in Singapore.

I know some malaysian chinese who first came to Singapore to work and later became PR. They were disgusted to hear that the Malays in Singapore have special privileges like the Malays in Malaysia with the bumiputera policy. They asked why are the chinese not given special privileges in Singapore like how the malays are given special privileges in Malaysia.

I hope the special privileges for the Malays will make up for some of the frustrations.

In any case, I think you did well in working up to a manager position in a American company.

Syabas

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Could you tell everyone here what the special privileges are?

. This is also the reason why the Malays are given special privileges in Singapore.

I know some malaysian chinese who first came to Singapore to work and later became PR. They were disgusted to hear that the Malays in Singapore have special privileges like the Malays in Malaysia with the bumiputera policy. They asked why are the chinese not given special privileges in Singapore like how the malays are given special privileges in Malaysia.

I hope the special privileges for the Malays will make up for some of the frustrations.

In any case, I think you did well in working up to a manager position in a American company.

Syabas