• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

More PAP sad stories - Family lived on a tin of biscuits for weeks

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I think many of us have gone through a tough and impoverished life when we were young. There is no need to highlight all these common denominations. The important thing is how we behave today after going through those lean years. What are our beliefs and what are our goals? Are we going to do something for the less fortunate ones or are we going to seek vengence on our poverty and live a life of sheer abandon and luxury? All of us have our own pathetic stories to share. Some are very bad and some are pathetically sad and tragic. But we all went through them with courage and perseverance.

So after going through the poor times, what are we going to do NOW ? Making ourselves richer? Wealthier? Happier? Or return to the ground and offer our sincere assistance to the poor, the marginalised and the disadvantaged? I think Dr Koh is trying to do that IMHO.

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Aiyah many politicians will also do the same lah.Bring in the mother, the father and the impoverished family.BUT DR KOH HAD SAID HE DID NOT WANT ANY SYMPATHY VOTES. HE STANDS ON HIS OWN STORY AND HIS OWN SUCCESS. HE IS FLYING SOLO....

TJS did the same thing when he was running for the president and during his sdp's days. Big crowds.Big cheers.Over-flowing support. Massive turn-out. But in the end, all gone....THE PEOPLE ARE SMART ENOUGH AND RETURNED THE PAP!!!

imagery

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Just like the American Idol contestants, the ones with the saddest stories feel their stories may help them win the day. They calculate that the sympathy votes will come in even though they claim they do not wanted those type of votes. If not why relate such stories in the first place.

greedy and cunning

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dr Koh also spelt out plans for Punggol East. They include:

- A new community club located near Rivervale Plaza, which is expected to be completed by July; n Pushing for earlier implementation of the dual- carriage LRT;

- Working with residents and transport operators on introducing feeder bus services for residents living in the peripheral areas to connect with the rail;

- Looking into integrated eldercare facilities and comprehensive health screening for the elderly;

- Plans to extend the capacity of the childcare centre at Block 195 and to build more childcare facilities in the community;

- Asking the Education Ministry to expand after- school care within the schools in Punggol East;

- Exploring the possibility of making more coffee shops available in Punggol East;

- Setting up a job placement centre, together with the monthly food distribution programme to help families experiencing difficulties get back on "their own two feet".

how do all these plans help those poor ones who need money to pay bills , to buy food ?

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Interestingly, for someone who was of a poor background and can 'empathize' with the common folks, he did not mention how he contributed to them as a volunteer or the likes.

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
#TRUE STORY#

No BS about ikan kuning or biscuits in tin, but let me share a true example of poverty.

We bought supplies from the kampong provision store on credit. Dad would pay $100 or $50 whenever he has spare money but there is a perpetual debt of $100 to $200 owed to the provision shop. Back then even businesses were kind. As a child, i used to wonder "Why din't daddy borrow some money from the bank?", afterall were they not BIG STRONG and FRIENDLY?

The atmosphere in the family depends on dad's mood. As his money run dry towards pay day, you cool feel the dark clouds in the house. We had to be careful not to make any mistake or could get a real beating.

Last edited:

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
many people perform charity in silence
do not judge a person wrongly
have the wrong perception
draw the wrong conclusion
we only increase our own karma

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Just like the American Idol contestants, the ones with the saddest stories feel their stories may help them win the day. They calculate that the sympathy votes will come in even though they claim they do not wanted those type of votes. If not why relate such stories in the first place.

Well said !! That's why when I make big decision in life I don't use my emotion to think .

[video=youtube;nQY4dIxY1H4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQY4dIxY1H4&sns=em[/video]

Last edited:

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
If he truly empathize with the poor, why has he done anything prior to joining the PAP? Surely, he could have provided free services to those who seek his expertise but could not afford his fees.

You judge a person by his actions, not his spin. He's spinning away. But his actions do not match up with his spin.

maybe he should reveal how much he charge for digging other's asses.

I_hv_adream

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ai yo, what he say/said others will not beleive one.

Members from the Worker's Party are the best!!! Worker's Party haut lah!!! Long life Worker's Party!!!

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have dipped my roti in "ang chee gu ni" for breakfast, & eaten plain rice with soya sauce for lunch & just vegetables for dinner when young, he is not the only one. He so poor thing...

Bro Halsey02,

Many fellow readers and i can emphatise with you. Our sympathies are with you for many of us grew as impoverished kids amidst poverty.

Let me share with you some of the real scenarios then faced by us:-
On the way to school, we would first collect the "crumbs" from a very nice Hainanese (Ah Ko) who worked as a baker in a family-run bakery close to the school.
He would keep it for us in a used newspaper.
In school we all received free milk courtesy of some charitable organisations. We ate the crumbs with this milk, which for us was manna from heaven.
I remember the huge tins of powdered milk comes with either a Union Jack or Stars and Stripes emblazoned on the sides under which were four hands folded togather.
This was in later years used on the back of our old $10 notes.

In school many of us received free-text-books and a waiver of monthly school fees (50 cents per month).
Kind teachers identified the poorest students and would buy them pen, pencils, erasers, exercise books and sometimes even shoes and socks using their own money.
Maybe thats the reason why discipline was so good for we truly respected the teachers for their genuine kindness and concern.

Back to kampongs, our parents had no worries about our health, continuous education and that of our fowls.
A mobile dispensary would call to our kampong where the nurse and "dresser" would dispense us the medicines for ailments like runny-noses, open wounds and other common ailments.
For our education, there was also this mobile library that would call at our kampong where many books and comics were loaned to us.
Our fowls (chickens and ducks) were vaccinated by the Vets who use to visit every 3 months. We would carry all our fowls to them for that purpose.
MIND YOU ALL THESE SERVICES WAS FREE-OF-CHARGE.

The well-being of mothers and new-born babies was also well-cared for. A nurse from the old Kandang Kerbau Hospital (now known as modern day KKH) would come to the kampong by public bus (in full uniform) and attend to the needs of the mother and child. True post-natal care.
WHAT DID THE PEOPLE PAY ? : Practically ZERO.

The Ministry of Culture would screen free movies for the kampong folks at selected spots.

Community centres offered FREE recreational services to the community like carrom, badminton, pin-pong, sepak-takraw and other hobbies.

Emergency ambulances were all provided free of charge.

Hospitals and surgical procedures were also offered free for the needy ones.

If the Colonial Masters of those days and the Labour Government (now known as Workers Party) with leaders like David Marshall could provide such FREE services, I fail to think why the Government of today treats the word WELFARE as if it is an out-caste (pariah).

So much more to write but I scared leh, people would complain being too long and utter rubbish of a bygone period. Happy Reading anyway......

Last edited:

godiva

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro,

In school many of us received free-text-books and a waiver of monthly school fees (50 cents per month).
Kind teachers identified the poorest students and would buy them pen, pencils, erasers, exercise books and sometimes even shoes and socks using their own money.
Maybe thats the reason why discipline was so good for we truly respected the teachers for their genuine kindness and concern.

You brought a tear to my eyes with the above :(

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Speaking at the first campaign rally of this by-election, the 40-year-old colorectal surgeon told a crowd that growing up, his family of seven had to share a kuning fish (yellowstripe scad).

"My mum would strip the fish bare of all the flesh, mesh it up, mix it in the porridge and flavour it with some soya sauce. And that was all we'd get for a meal," he said, adding that his mother would eat only the bones, fish head and tail.

wao lao, at least still got kunning. my parents just take out a small cube of fermenated beancurd from the jar and eat with plain porridge. we share a cube for one meal. leftover keep for next meal. wanna compare poor, ptui.....

a pig farmer so boh lui? who believe... his father no real son of the pig farmer ah gong meh? limpeh also stay punggol (currently call rivervale), i never see pig rearing family so "koh lian".

Last edited:

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Strange that SBS/TIBS paid their drivers so poorly that he is unable to put food on the table for the family.