• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Mobile Food Sellers of Yesteryear

AhBengBoyBoy

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree with you it's a very costly hobby, especially at that time.

I usually play my fav CDs at home, but record the ATRAC3 tracks using one of my portable Minidisc recorders. Carrying a tiny Minidisc player, with its near-CD quality sound, is anytime less clumsy than carrying a huge CD player, not to mention having to change CDs after every 20 songs.

But those were the good olde days. Now, 256kb/s or higher MP3 tracks is more than enough fi even for for critical audiophiles.

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
minidisc & laserdisc were temporary phenomena caught by the exploding pace of technology ... they could have decent product lives if not for newer technologies that came so fast to supercede them ....

I think DVD killed LDs - bigger capacity smaller size...
minidisc overwhlemed by sheer mass mkt of CDs that lower unit cost of production ....

Then of course, digital formats were born & MP3 started the slow death of analogue formats .....

Actually, the humble casette is my fond favourite .... then all kinds of walkman innovation were the rage .... AIWA, the mass market leader now up lorry oredy ....:(

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
getImage.jsp

Rediffusion_logo.jpg
rediffusion.jpg

Those were the days.. glued to rediffusion listened to lastest American Top 40 hits. And then buy cassettes at Bugis street. :biggrin:

getImage.jsp

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, pirated cassette in the 70s $2 - $2.50 only !

I remember buying all those 'Collection of Top Hits' Cassette 'Devil Woman', 'Temple of the King', 'House of the Rising Sun ....', Andy Gibb's 'Shadow Dancing' .... play, sound koyak can still bring back complain & change !

Then mata come, all run ..... pirate stalls not only Bugis, in People's Park & Pasar malam, I even get from suppliers sell at Funfair raise funds too :biggrin: !

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
minidisc & laserdisc were temporary phenomena caught by the exploding pace of technology ... they could have decent product lives if not for newer technologies that came so fast to supercede them ....

I think DVD killed LDs - bigger capacity smaller size...
minidisc overwhlemed by sheer mass mkt of CDs that lower unit cost of production ....

Then of course, digital formats were born & MP3 started the slow death of analogue formats .....

Actually, the humble casette is my fond favourite .... then all kinds of walkman innovation were the rage .... AIWA, the mass market leader now up lorry oredy ....:(

Somehow the consumers were caught in the middle, we had the Beta tapes as oppose to VHS, which had better quality & sound, the MD vs the cassettes, same story, then came the music CD's...and the Laser disc...

balajii

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, pirated cassette in the 70s $2 - $2.50 only !

QUOTE]

it is $2.50 even during the 80s.

i remember this becos my uncle used to run a small stall at joo chiat market selling casettes. pirated 'solid gold' series retails at $2.50. original artiste about $6.:biggrin:

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Your pics of Amber Arcade are really awesome. I used to be very fascinated by the that building but went in only a few times. Its location made it very visible but not very accessible. It is another of those buildings which I wonder why they destroyed. Dhoby Ghaut MRT Station could easily have accommodated it.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This picture is priceless. I remember going there when I was a kid.....Now, it's Kovan Centre I believe....

It is LIM AN PIN Mkt..not Kovan Centre...partially...remember the painted white face woman that sells fried prawn noodle? after the mkt was demolished she sold at Chomp Chomp for sometime, when chomp2 was upgraded the stall closed...

The face white with maybe the three sisters face powder..:biggrin: and the samfoo of old days...

:biggrin:

Soory LIM TUA TOW.... Lim Ah Pin is where the Post Office was

Last edited:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This picture is priceless. I remember going there when I was a kid.....Now, it's Kovan Centre I believe....

It is LIM AH PIN Mkt..not Kovan Centre the land went for road expansion & builsding of the flyover...remember the painted white face woman that sells fried prawn noodle? after the mkt was demolished she sold at Chomp Chomp for sometime, when chomp2 was upgraded the stall closed...

The face white with maybe the three sisters face powder..:biggrin: and the samfoo of old days...

:biggrin:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Your pics of Amber Arcade are really awesome. I used to be very fascinated by the that building but went in only a few times. Its location made it very visible but not very accessible. It is another of those buildings which I wonder why they destroyed. Dhoby Ghaut MRT Station could easily have accommodated it.

Maybe they didnt like the JEWS..ha ha ha...same with Eu Court at Stamford Rd..could have just presevere the facade...there was a dentist there in which the MM uses, whenever he visits the dentist...the area would combed & anybody within a certain radius, would be shooed away...:wink:

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is great! Remember my grandma used to be glued to all those serialised stories in Cantonese told by Lee Tai Sor. Also, the Teochew ones for those who are Teochews.

One little box hung in the corner of the room, and so much joy, entertainment and enjoyment.

Rediffusion_logo.jpg
rediffusion.jpg

Those were the days.. glued to rediffusion listened to lastest American Top 40 hits. And then buy cassettes at Bugis street. :biggrin:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The croc farm is still there.

yes!!! some years ago, in another once in 50 years flooding, the area was flooded & many crocs escaped into the drains...haven;t been in there for a very loonnnnggg time...don;t know if there are corcs there stilll

hotel 81 and fragrance hotel is near there now...a lot of 'crocodile wrestlings' going on... ha ha ha ha ha:biggrin:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is great! Remember my grandma used to be glued to all those serialised stories in Cantonese told by Lee Tai Sor. Also, the Teochew ones for those who are Teochews.

One little box hung in the corner of the room, and so much joy, entertainment and enjoyment.

don't forget ONG TOH for his Hokkien version of Lee Tai Sor..and there was a Hock Chew ones with the sound od cymbals after each phrase...

it has only two buttons...one for Chinese languages & English.....from the box I know Jim Reeves...'put your sweet lips, a litlle closer to the phone"...and Zhou Shuan's & many other oldies...

Redifussion is still around today...:biggrin: http://www.rediffusion.com.sg/

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Besides the low cost of only 35 cents a day, you've got 9 other good reasons why you should subscribe to Redif. Among the 9, there're dialect programmes which Redi claimed it is the only broadcasting station that can do that. And no useless Singlishspeaking DJ blabbering for most of the time!

Sounds good to me! Any bros got any experience if it is any good?

Redifussion is still around today...:biggrin: http://www.rediffusion.com.sg/